Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Correnth posted:

As someone who works in the video game industry let me say

^^^ gently caress you

^^^ and gently caress you too

When you creatively pour yourself into a project you drat well want to see people enjoying it, and the non-stop parade of harassment and negativity that swirls around the internet can be devastating when you've worked so hard on something you want people to like. Negative feedback should always be encouraged but you two sound like the type who'll harass & stalk a GM/community manager for a game you don't like just because "lolz who cares thats not a real person its just a ~*~corporation, maaaaaan~*~".

Eat my whole rear end - You are what is wrong with the internet.

Yessss this post rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Flopsy posted:

If this was how games started I wouldn't care. Seeing as this entire franchise was built on carrying over your collection I'm gonna guess you can see where people like myself would not like this in the least. It also reinforces my point why make the effort for these supposedly unique pokemon?

The first schism like this was five years into the franchise. Then, the Pokemon that were cut from those games were programmed in as basically an afterthought, with some of them having sprites that were still pretty ugly and the first means of actually obtaining them being a way in which the Pokedex doesn't even recognize them. No joke, sending stuff from Colosseum does not unlock the National Dex.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I don't really like that there are a lot of pokemon that can't be brought into the game and never will be (apparently) but I guess I can understand why they went down that route.

I would like to understand a bit more about this "Pokemon Home". I guess it's the Switch edition of Pokemon Bank, and you will be able to bring forward all your pokemon from Bank into Home (maybe after a launch delay)? Even the ones that aren't in Sword/Shield (but you won't be able to import them into Sword/Shield, they'll just be stuck in Home)? Is that what it's expected to be?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Correnth posted:

As someone who works in the video game industry let me say

^^^ gently caress you

^^^ and gently caress you too

When you creatively pour yourself into a project you drat well want to see people enjoying it, and the non-stop parade of harassment and negativity that swirls around the internet can be devastating when you've worked so hard on something you want people to like. Negative feedback should always be encouraged but you two sound like the type who'll harass & stalk a GM/community manager for a game you don't like just because "lolz who cares thats not a real person its just a ~*~corporation, maaaaaan~*~".

Eat my whole rear end - You are what is wrong with the internet.

death to all managers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Live Free posted:

death to all managers

cosign

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cool, centiscorch gets fire lash. Also mr. Rime gets rapid spin apparently??

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Bee posted:

I imagined as such. I just find the case of Kirby personally interesting as someone who finds it both so similar and so different to the Returns to Dream Land era Kirby games that have dominated the series recently. I always felt like it paled in comparison as a follow-up to Robobot, but a look at the games shows it really isn't supposed to be. Hell, the new content they added that isn't more speedrunning characters boils down to an upgrade to the Arena mode (which is also designed to be replayed on every character) and a puzzle-based single player mode that seems to exist mostly to spotlight all those characters.

I guess it's especially relevant because, much like how Star Allies' purpose seemed unclear until the updates, there's still so much we don't know about why Dexit was done for Sword and Shield. It can't be technical reasons because they already had all of Kanto on the Switch yet left out all but a third of its Pokedex. It can't be modeling reasons because all models are identical to the future proofed X and Y ones. It can't be for competitive play or Pokedex data because the 3DS releases already had native-only tournaments and a National Dex without dex entries. For whatever reason this was a creative decision, and only time will tell what that creative decision is.

I actually don't think it is. I think they were probably starting work on implementing a national dex, noticed that they were approaching 1000 Pokemon, and realize that the model was unsustainable and something needed to change eventually. Was it possible to reasonably implement a national dex in SwSh? Based on what we've seen, almost certainly yes, but that isn't always going to be true.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

King of Solomon posted:

I actually don't think it is. I think they were probably starting work on implementing a national dex, noticed that they were approaching 1000 Pokemon, and realize that the model was unsustainable and something needed to change eventually. Was it possible to reasonably implement a national dex in SwSh? Based on what we've seen, almost certainly yes, but that isn't always going to be true.

But the national dex was already missing from Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. You could import all the pokemon from previous games and play with them, you just couldn't view entries for all of them in the pokedex.

I feel like describing the absence of pokemon from the game in terms that suggest what's being discussed is the removal of the national pokedex, when actually that's a different thing that already happened, isn't very helpful for communication.

It seems to me that there are 2 things that are a concern about the ever increasing number of pokemon and those are (1) the need to keep updating models and animations, which is a tax they have to keep paying with artist and animator time; (2) the fact that they keep adding dumb things like Silvally's Memories and Genesect's Drives and what not, which require them to include dozens of irritating NPCs somewhere in every future game, who show up (unwanted by most players) to say "if you have a robot bug pokemon then I have some cool items I can give you".

edit: (2) isn't even really a problem because they could just have a shop somewhere in the postgame that sells all of the stupid items needed for the gimmick pokemon from previous generations. But they don't do that for some reason, they always go for an NPC per legendary who will talk your ear off about it.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 10, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

There would eventually be a breaking point somewhere, I think that’s impossible to dispute, but Game Freak is notoriously small relative to companies that deliver comparably “big” games and the thing that should’ve broken first was the size of the team IMO.

I also do agree with one of the above posters, the game as it’s been presented so far essentially has little different from 40$ games made years ago and it’s just not worth 50% more to me as it is.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 10, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

There would eventually be a breaking point somewhere, I think that’s impossible to dispute, but Game Freak is notoriously small relative to companies that deliver comparably “big” games and the thing that should’ve broken first was the size of the team IMO.

No disagreement there.

Hammerite posted:

But the national dex was already missing from Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. You could import all the pokemon from previous games and play with them, you just couldn't view entries for all of them in the pokedex.

I feel like describing the absence of pokemon from the game in terms that suggest what's being discussed is the removal of the national pokedex, when actually that's a different thing that already happened, isn't very helpful for communication.

It seems to me that there are 2 things that are a concern about the ever increasing number of pokemon and those are (1) the need to keep updating models and animations, which is a tax they have to keep paying with artist and animator time; (2) the fact that they keep adding dumb things like Silvally's Memories and Genesect's Drives and what not, which require them to include dozens of irritating NPCs somewhere in every future game, who show up (unwanted by most players) to say "if you have a robot bug pokemon then I have some cool items I can give you".

I'm definitely talking about the ability to import and play with every old pokemon; that's why I specifically drew attention to the number of pokemon you can theoretically acquire.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hammerite posted:

But the national dex was already missing from Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

swing and a miss

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

King of Solomon posted:

I'm definitely talking about the ability to import and play with every old pokemon; that's why I specifically drew attention to the number of pokemon you can theoretically acquire.

Sure, I didn't intend to criticise you personally, just the terminology that everyone (me and you included) is using

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I also do agree with one of the above posters, the game as it’s been presented so far essentially has little different from 40$ games made years ago and it’s just not worth 50% more to me as it is.

the fact that there's almost no postgame according to leakers is disappointing for the same reason. I'm paying a lot more (relatively) for less game

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

indigi posted:

swing and a miss

It was missing. That statement of mine was a correct statement.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Generation_VII#Alterations_from_Generation_VI

"The abandonment of the following elements: ... The National Pokédex, with Pokémon from outside the Alola Pokédex having no Pokédex entry at all."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah and if people were talking about missing Pokedex entries you might have a point

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

It was missing. That statement of mine was a correct statement.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Generation_VII#Alterations_from_Generation_VI

"The abandonment of the following elements: ... The National Pokédex, with Pokémon from outside the Alola Pokédex having no Pokédex entry at all."

Yeah you're technically correct but people are complaining about the missing pokemon not the fact that the pokedex itself is incomplete. Worrying about the terminology is stupid because you'd have to be willfully dense to think people were talking about the actual dex descriptions and not the hundreds of cut mons when talking about the national dex in this context.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s wild to think about being able to play a mainline Pokémon game on my tv with a controller. I was always jealous of my friend who got to play Red and Blue on the Super Gameboy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
controversial opinion, I like pokemon and like how this game looks

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
all my friends are dead and I look forward to replacing them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

indigi posted:

yeah and if people were talking about missing Pokedex entries you might have a point

I'm aware that that's not what they mean to talk about when they refer to the "national dex" being missing. You could not possibly have read even the first paragraph of that post you quoted from if you came away believing that I don't understand the difference between the two things. You literally read the first sentence of my post and didn't read any further, so desperate were you to post a tepid bit of snark.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah you're technically correct but people are complaining about the missing pokemon not the fact that the pokedex itself is incomplete. Worrying about the terminology is stupid because you'd have to be willfully dense to think people were talking about the actual dex descriptions and not the hundreds of cut mons when talking about the national dex in this context.

I disagree, because the removal of the national dex (and here I mean to refer to the pokedex entries) was something that was complained about when Sun/Moon came out, so it isn't unreasonable to suppose when people complain about something different using the same terminology that they are actually complaining about the original thing. To refer to something different using the same language is avoidable ambiguity.

I hadn't been following the news about Sword/Shield until the last few days when I realised that the release is getting near, and I was confused reading people's posts at first because they kept referring to the national dex being removed and I was just thinking "so? That isn't a new thing".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sexpig by night posted:

This is such a brave post but hell, same.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I create new competitive Pokemon in the interim between the latest generational Bank updates, so most of my competitives don't make the cut by the time it comes out. The exception is usually legacy monsters I want to breed or things unavailable like legendaries and move tutor stuff. Most of the time I've move stuff over if I need to patch up National Dex holes but for the most part I like leaving full in-game teams on the file they were played on. Sometimes I'll move stuff to the respective remakes if possible, like my Sapphire Latias taking her resting place in Alpha Sapphire.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

400 Pokemon in this regional Pokedex is great. That's Ultra Sun/Moon levels, but without the legendary bloat. So many options. Only X/Y has had more options to use in the course of the story (and X/Y kind of had too many, to be honest, drowned out the cool new pokemon from that generation).

It's too bad I can't stick all my old pokemon in a box post-game on this cartridge, but I can live without that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'm very happy to admit that I'm wasting time and achieving nothing of value by arguing about terminology in the Pokemon thread on a dying internet forum. But I won't agree that the matter itself isn't important (to the extent that anything to do with Pokemon is important, which of course is to no extent at all) because naming things well is important, and difficult.

Anyway, I think it's a pity that I won't be able to play with all my pokemon friends in the switch game, but I understand why they did it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Licarn posted:

Hell, same.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The only silver lining for me is the metagame implications of Dexit.

No Heatran. No Garchomp. NO LANDO-T. ANTI-STEALTH ROCK ITEMS.

I’d be worried about stall with Toxapex running wild but the leaked stats show some :stare: levels of power creep on the new mons and I’d bet my bottom dollar a lot of Gen 6 OU staples that got bumped down due to power creep are flying right back up into their old OU slots, like Mamoswine.

This generation sounds like a dumpster fire but I’m legit excited about the metagame. Even if it took sacrificing my in game staple and OG starter for over 20 years, Venusaur, to not have to see herpes cat or lava scab in battle again...at least for a good long while.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Like an anonymous poster well said, "The more you like Pokemon, the more you dislike GameFreak"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

extra row of teeth posted:

The only silver lining for me is the metagame implications of Dexit.

No Heatran. No Garchomp. NO LANDO-T. ANTI-STEALTH ROCK ITEMS.

I’d be worried about stall with Toxapex running wild but the leaked stats show some :stare: levels of power creep on the new mons and I’d bet my bottom dollar a lot of Gen 6 OU staples that got bumped down due to power creep are flying right back up into their old OU slots, like Mamoswine.

This generation sounds like a dumpster fire but I’m legit excited about the metagame. Even if it took sacrificing my in game staple and OG starter for over 20 years, Venusaur, to not have to see herpes cat or lava scab in battle again...at least for a good long while.

What is your opinion on sand, out of curiosity?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
As long as the best Pokemon, Scyther, is still in the game that's all that matters

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Who What Now posted:

As long as the best Pokemon, Scyther, is still in the game that's all that matters

I have bad news for you then.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Who What Now posted:

Buddy, i'm sorry but scyther is dead. You might need a hug for this bad news, but maybe not one from scyther

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcWuiwZYGP4

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gruckles posted:

I have bad news for you then.

They took Cubone from me, too. :negative:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Licarn posted:

My dog ate one of my DS carts.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

qnqnx posted:

Like an anonymous poster well said, "The more you like Pokemon, the more you dislike GameFreak"

This kind of goes for every fanbase tbh

The more passionate you are, the more likely you are to see change in your favorite series as something to be offended by

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Pokémon is dead to me

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

:yeah:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How much is there to do post elite four in Let's Go?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
If anything killed these games sales (spoilers: they will still sell fine) it was not dexit but the complete rear end trailers that showed barely anything and thus didn't get people hyped up.

The 24 hour stream that only revealed Ponyta was one of the worst publicity stunts I've seen in a while

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

How much is there to do post elite four in Let's Go?

you can go fight the pokemon specialist trainer dudes if you want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You can also catch Mewtwo. You can then fight Green after that I think, and then Red after beating a certain number of master trainers. Blue can also be fought but I’m not sure the method of unlocking him.

That’s it.