Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It does seem like the push to make more cards that are interesting/powerful is always going to lead to situations like this.

I think they should just start issuing errata for standard. It's not 1994 anymore, it would be easy to have access to the current errata list, and unless there's a fuckup of monumental proportions you'd have maybe 5 cards on it at any given time. If the kitchen table player doesn't know or use the list who cares?
When cards rotate out of standard all errata gets removed and extended formats use bannings, so that way you don't have compounding amounts of errata cards to track.

Yeah, it's kinda janky, but sure seems better than suffering through horrible metas for months on end because WotC doesn't want to ban expensive/marquee cards.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im sympathetic to Gerry T's explanation that Oko is most likely someone higher ups pet card and they basically strong armed it through play design with minimal changes. Possibly as a vanity thing or as a misguided attempt to sell packs but either way play design's hands were tied.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Im sympathetic to Gerry T's explanation that Oko is most likely someone higher ups pet card and they basically strong armed it through play design with minimal changes. Possibly as a vanity thing or as a misguided attempt to sell packs but either way play design's hands were tied.

I know a similar thing happened with the innistrad emrakul. The card was a culmination of over a year of plot development, so the development team was basically told "you need to make sure this sees play"

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

little munchkin posted:

I know a similar thing happened with the innistrad emrakul. The card was a culmination of over a year of plot development, so the development team was basically told "you need to make sure this sees play"

I don’t think game designers need to be leaned on by management to want to make a legendary cosmic horror interesting and powerful.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Where has Gerry shared that view because that is not what he’s said on his podcast or YouTube channel.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Where has Gerry shared that view because that is not what he’s said on his podcast or YouTube channel.

It was the episode before last in the q&a section

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If you want my insight, it probably went a little like this. Originally Questing Beast was going to be a mythic legendary built around well, adventures(quests). When response to War of the Spark was what it was they realised they needed a card that is designed to hate Planeswalkers, so Questing Beast becomes that card because can't have that be anything but a Legendary and it'll be a good pack seller.

However this puts them in an awkward position where Oko, who probably was meant to be quite powerful because he's one of the big characters the set is focused on anyway, under his original design loses too hard to the new Planeswalker Hoser. Wizards at this point buff Oko and the rest is history, instead of maybe reverting Questing Beast and finding a better option for how to handle planeswalker hate.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

IMO they wanted food to be a thing. They pushed Oko to do this, and honestly didn't need to.

However Gerry has some insider experience so maybe he knows better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really thought what Gerry meant by his response was not that some executive had meddled with the cards per se, simply that the card had been changed too close to release to be tested properly because he knows his friends aren’t stupid enough to have play tested the card and found it to be fine.

The “Meddlesome Executive” narrative makes almost no sense at all if you just step back for a minute.

Errata is a bad idea. Paper tournaments with complex board states really don’t need cards that work differently than they say they do, especially ones with as many lines of text as Oko. A ban is so much healthier than an errata.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 10, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm actually legit sad there are no Legendary Creatures that care about Adventures, or that can go on an Adventure. It's such a weird thing to have 0 Legendaries interact with what was supposed to be a defining part of the set/plane.

Off the top of my head they could've done a cool adventure for each of the Legendary Knights and cut down their other text to compensate.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m sad almost none of the Adventures have names that sound like adventures, which is the kind of very small thing that bothers me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

I really thought what Gerry meant by his response was not that some executive had meddled with the cards per se, simply that the card had been changed too close to release to be tested properly because he knows his friends aren’t stupid enough to have play tested the card and found it to be fine.

The “Meddlesome Executive” narrative makes almost no sense at all if you just step back for a minute.

Errata is a bad idea. Paper tournaments with complex board states really don’t need cards that work differently than they say they do, especially ones with as many lines of text as Oko. A ban is so much healthier than an errata.

I and Gerry never said executive, its much more likely its a senior designer throwing their weight around. Plus we know stuff like this has happened before where certain cards are mandated to be pushed despite the potential consequences with Emrakul being the prime example.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

whydirt posted:

I don’t think game designers need to be leaned on by management to want to make a legendary cosmic horror interesting and powerful.

it was explicitly stated in one of the official post-mordens the did on the set/card

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Niton posted:

Independent efforts to specifically push both Green and Simic overlapped with a general push to raise the power level of standard. End result is that all of the colors that weren't specifically pushed can't really compete. Weird, huh?

tl;dr they accidentally a 19 year old duelist joke

The "oh, and draw a card" rider is perfect because adding a cantrip to a card like this is so obviously intended to be an over-the-top joke, but in the real world it's essentially what they did to Veil of Summer

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

On the other hand companies are stupid and don't always know how to make money, but they do think they do and think they can squeeze harder.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/pioneer-ptq-2019-11-10 Pioneer PTQ results.

Izzet Ensoul considers to perform! It's time to buy those scissors and Gingerbreadmen. The Mono-B list that won looks like an absolute pile.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

The Mono-B list that won looks like an absolute pile of Thoughtseize

It's just Jund

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/pioneer-ptq-2019-11-10 Pioneer PTQ results.

Izzet Ensoul considers to perform! It's time to buy those scissors and Gingerbreadmen. The Mono-B list that won looks like an absolute pile.

I think the deck looks like a pile but doesn’t play like one. The deck is strong.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They errataed a card from one of the Commander sets and now no one plays Commander anymore because it's just too confusing!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Gonna take this opportunity to repost the mono black list I shared a few pages ago.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2424469#paper

In short, yes, some iteration of mono black is real as gently caress. My record with this deck is absurdly good, I've attended every local event that's fired for pioneer so far and have yet to catch a single match loss. My hot take is that Knight of the Ebon Legion and Bloodsoaked Champion are the #1 and #2 best aggressive one-drops in the format, and while obviously a PTQ-winning deck list is quite good I still think I prefer this slightly bigger version. Gray Merchant has been so important for stealing the last few points of damage in close games, I can't imagine playing mono-b without him is correct. Not being on some number of Bile Blight is also a punt, that card is ridiculous.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

is that an Andrew Yang shirt lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Gonna take this opportunity to repost the mono black list I shared a few pages ago.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2424469#paper

In short, yes, some iteration of mono black is real as gently caress. My record with this deck is absurdly good, I've attended every local event that's fired for pioneer so far and have yet to catch a single match loss. My hot take is that Knight of the Ebon Legion and Bloodsoaked Champion are the #1 and #2 best aggressive one-drops in the format, and while obviously a PTQ-winning deck list is quite good I still think I prefer this slightly bigger version. Gray Merchant has been so important for stealing the last few points of damage in close games, I can't imagine playing mono-b without him is correct. Not being on some number of Bile Blight is also a punt, that card is ridiculous.

I agree. The sad thing is that both the vampire and zombie tribal decks just aren’t good enough despite how much I want them to be. The mix of 1 cmc beaters and creatures that recure themselves is just great. The 3 and 4 drops play on that theme for powers results. Rankle is probably a better 4 drop the kalitas right now straight up.

It anything the copter might be a weak point of the deck but it’s cute interaction with lookout gives the deck a little reach.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Rankle is probably a better 4 drop the kalitas right now straight up

This is a good call and I agree. The Kalitas was in there with Phoenix in mind but Rankle seems fantastic

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

I think the deck looks like a pile but doesn’t play like one. The deck is strong.

The rankle + recursive creatures seem like a good late game engine vs other creature heavy / low removal decks.

Those green splash blue aggressive decks boarding sleep seem gross. Also first time there has been a decent amount of smuggler’s copter decks in the top 8.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dehtraen posted:

The rankle + recursive creatures seem like a good late game engine vs other creature heavy / low removal decks.

Those green splash blue aggressive decks boarding sleep seem gross. Also first time there has been a decent amount of smuggler’s copter decks in the top 8.

The format is going to be like frontier for a bit I think, because the answers aren't great. Aggro will rule the roost for awhile until better answers come up or ppl build answer decks better I think.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

ShaneB posted:

The format is going to be like frontier for a bit I think, because the answers aren't great. Aggro will rule the roost for awhile until better answers come up or ppl build answer decks better I think.

I'd say it's mostly the latter. The good answers are there, it's just always tough to find the right configuration. Critically, Anger of the Gods and Supreme Verdict exist in this format, Frontier had a dearth of decent sweepers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I agree. The sad thing is that both the vampire and zombie tribal decks just aren’t good enough despite how much I want them to be. The mix of 1 cmc beaters and creatures that recure themselves is just great. The 3 and 4 drops play on that theme for powers results. Rankle is probably a better 4 drop the kalitas right now straight up.

It anything the copter might be a weak point of the deck but it’s cute interaction with lookout gives the deck a little reach.

Rankle is LotV that punches in against decks with no evasion

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

They errataed a card from one of the Commander sets and now no one plays Commander anymore because it's just too confusing!

Oko is legitimately not worth it, try to imagine attempting to fix Oko with a numbers tweak instead of banning it and watching as it continues to dominate across all formats.

Errata on Marath is so obviously different than Errata that impacts literally every format currently being played, vs a handful of kitchen tables across the country, it’s just absurd to conflate them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JerryLee posted:

The "oh, and draw a card" rider is perfect because adding a cantrip to a card like this is so obviously intended to be an over-the-top joke, but in the real world it's essentially what they did to Veil of Summer

It really is, isn't it? I hadn't thought about that thing in more than a decade, yet as soon as I saw Veil of Summer.. I knew.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

fatherboxx posted:

is that an Andrew Yang shirt lol

Not surprised MTG players have bad political views

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheMaestroso posted:

magic player, singular. if you're seeing double, lay off the booze

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

They errataed an uncommon card from Core 20and now no one plays Core 20anymore because it's just too confusing!

Fixed for truth.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

Oko is legitimately not worth it, try to imagine attempting to fix Oko with a numbers tweak instead of banning it and watching as it continues to dominate across all formats.

Errata on Marath is so obviously different than Errata that impacts literally every format currently being played, vs a handful of kitchen tables across the country, it’s just absurd to conflate them.

One change would be a single digit. The other was a full sentence.

PJOmega posted:

Fixed for truth.

Also Alpha Orcish Oriflamme!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PV in (another) final

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

Please elaborate. :justpost:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Please elaborate. :justpost:
As a group, Magic players are trash. The particularly lovely ones get angry when people remove from the trash cards they've thrown away, for example. They paid for them, after all, why should someone else get them for free?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I know goons' political options are idiosyncratic to put it delicately, but lmao if Andrew Yang even registers on your radar as a bad political opinion in 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

JerryLee posted:

I know goons' political options are idiosyncratic to put it delicately, but lmao if Andrew Yang even registers on your radar as a bad political opinion in 2019
He's literally running on "replace all social welfare programs with a free $1000 extra per citizen to landlords."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

JerryLee posted:

He is a dumbass reddit candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

He is a dumbass reddit candidate

Yes, I am saying lmao if a loony, effectively third party candidate like him is still on anyone's radar. I know we can laugh at more than one thing at a time, but even so, whatever silliness surrounds him is pretty solidly beneath my notice.

E: I want to clarify that when I say loony I mean the yang phenomenon in its aggregate and not every single individual position he may hold. E.g. I think a GMI is a good idea (albeit not as a replacement for social programs generally) but this election isn't its time.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 10, 2019