Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Just sort by modification time; it'll give you the time the file was last written, which will be when the download completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
If you mount filesystems noatime, as one should, atime will sort of work like NTFS creation time. Preserving the atime across filesystems is harder than NTFS creation time, GNU cp can preserve atime with the -a option but tar and rsync won't.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
ext4 stores crtime at the inode level but there really aren't any Linux syscalls that expose it. So you're left with cludgy stuff like this that require sudo or root access:

http://moiseevigor.github.io/software/2015/01/30/get-file-creation-time-on-linux-with-ext4/

Edit: I take that back and statx exists now and glibc supports it. http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/statx.2.html So it's really just a matter of using a file system that records the creation time and a file manager that uses statx or similar to get file info.

Edit2: Here is a stat replacement in go that gives you crtime (birth time) without root. https://github.com/tklauser/statx

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 10, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Edit: Nevermind.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Had a bad experience with installing the standard debian/gnome desktop on a new machine. Fresh install of stable, not a single thing done yet and gnome-shell was just really going to town on every core. Like, could barely operate the machine it was so unresponsive.

Not sure what's really to blame for it or where the bug is, but installing the proprietary nvidia-driver resolved the issue. Yeah, yeah, when I upgrade my gpu next I'll get an amd since they seem to not hate the floss world.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a super quick and easy experience upgrading my debian server from old stable to current stable. Everything Just Worked™.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm thinking about throwing a modern distro of linux on a dual Pentium III-S 1.4ghz with 4GB of PC133 ram and some flavor of AGP video card. Any guesses if I can watch 720p/1080p youtube and have an overall useable experience with modern websites?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think it will choke on modern video codecs at modern resolutions but hey who knows.

e:
from: http://forum.doom9.net/showthread.php?s=a9cc2e295c57dfb80c20b828319a8d90&t=143455&page=42

quote:

Works on the P-III (850 MHz) as well.
Code:

win32.exe mobilecalendar_720x576.264 mobilecalendar_720x576.yuv
99 frames decoded totally.
10309900 counters used by decoder and 26493441 counters used by others.

Decoding speed: 34 fps

win32.exe husky_704x576.264 husky_704x576.yuv
99 frames decoded totally.
11193810 counters used by decoder and 17650245 counters used by others.

Decoding speed: 31 fps

win32.exe foreman_cif_24.264 foreman_cif_24.yuv
175 frames decoded totally.
5722239 counters used by decoder and 7101862 counters used by others.

Decoding speed: 109 fps

win32.exe tempete_cif_24.264 tempete_cif_24.yuv
175 frames decoded totally.
10072194 counters used by decoder and 2839728 counters used by others.

Decoding speed: 62 fps

(no clue at all how this really stacks up with something like ffmpeg)

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 21, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1080p will be a problem, if you do a bit of googling that era could barely handle 720p.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

xzzy posted:

1080p will be a problem, if you do a bit of googling that era could barely handle 720p.

Really? My modded xbox1 with its gimped PIII 700mhz could decode 720p24 h.264 from that era no problem.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm guessing it has some hardware acceleration for video decoding, but that's just a guess. If you already have this hardware, I say install it and see what it can do.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

taqueso posted:

I'm guessing it has some hardware acceleration for video decoding, but that's just a guess. If you already have this hardware, I say install it and see what it can do.

That's the kicker I don't have most of it yet. Either way I'll build it but just getting ahead of myself.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

That's the kicker I don't have most of it yet. Either way I'll build it but just getting ahead of myself.

It's worth noting too as discussed a few pages ago that chrome doesn't attempt to use hardware acceleration if present on linux for twitch and youtube (It DOES use it for chrome rendering but that barely matters). VNC does, but it's something to keep in mind.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SoftNum posted:

It's worth noting too as discussed a few pages ago that chrome doesn't attempt to use hardware acceleration if present on linux for twitch and youtube (It DOES use it for chrome rendering but that barely matters). VNC does, but it's something to keep in mind.

Good to know thanks. I know there are going to be software limitations as the P6 architecture doesn't support a lot of modern instructions either.

So does that also include chromium?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Shaocaholica posted:

Really? My modded xbox1 with its gimped PIII 700mhz could decode 720p24 h.264 from that era no problem.

It took years before the video decoding got efficient enough to do realtime SD region H.264 on Xbox, it certainly wasn't effortless.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Good to know thanks. I know there are going to be software limitations as the P6 architecture doesn't support a lot of modern instructions either.

If I remember right there's patches you can put on chromium that will do it. There's nothing technically preventing it iirc. I didn't pursue it much cause I have a ryzen I don't use much so if twitch needs a core I've got plenty.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

This might potentially be a situation where you could compile some packages targeting your specific CPU and actually get some speedup.

comedy option full gentoo (or whatever is like that now) install. It's not actually too bad, even on that kind of hardware it takes about a day to do X11 + desktop environment from scratch IIRC, not weeks like people would have you believe

I have no idea what the modern gentoo is, its been so long since i played with that

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm thinking about throwing a modern distro of linux on a dual Pentium III-S 1.4ghz with 4GB of PC133 ram and some flavor of AGP video card. Any guesses if I can watch 720p/1080p youtube and have an overall useable experience with modern websites?
I remember using an old computer of around that powerlevel during the days of 720p and maybe early 1080p videos. It worked OK.
I was running Gentoo those days, and I don't think it has changed much.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Don’t most distros prebuild i686 still? That’s literally P6/Pentium-III arch unless I’m misunderstanding what i686 means.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Don’t most distros prebuild i686 still? That’s literally P6/Pentium-III arch unless I’m misunderstanding what i686 means.

actually it's harder to get a i686 build of distros these days You have to go back a major release to find it for Ubuntu. I guess debian releases one for 10. arch32 is an unofficial thing.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think most distros stopped shipping packages that will run on very old CPUs in the last couple if years. I also think the kernel has been pruning some old code which supported these older architectures for the last few release cycles as well.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This article lists some Linux and BSD distros that still support 32-bit processors of that vintage: https://itsfoss.com/32-bit-os-list/

I was curious because I have a dual P-III server sitting around in my garage I haven't fired up in ages that I may want to do something with. It has a PCI videocard in it, and was able to run Win XP okay and whatever Linux distro I had installed on it. It's been years and I can't remember what I had installed on it. I seem to remember it struggling with video in browsers, but able to play from file okay, but I couldn't swear to that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So it looks like Fedora adopted wayland since release 25. And they dropped i686 kernel builds with the last being release 30. So if I wanted to run wayland on i686 then I would need a x86_32 build of release 30...but I can't seem to find that download anywhere :confused:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
That's the thing with running Fedora. You've gotta be prepared to keep upgrading every ~6months.

Fedora 30 will probably be unsupported in the next 3 or 4 months. It's all in the name of progress.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That's fine this isn't for a daily driver.

e: found it on the Redhat mirror but doesn't seem to be hosted at all on any other mirrors. Probably like 3 ppl using the x86_32 build in the world.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 25, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

So it looks like Fedora adopted wayland since release 25. And they dropped i686 kernel builds with the last being release 30. So if I wanted to run wayland on i686 then I would need a x86_32 build of release 30...but I can't seem to find that download anywhere :confused:
You could also run FreeBSD. ;)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

You could also run FreeBSD. ;)

Is there a fork of FreeBSD that supports i686 and wayland? QUick googling suggests mainline FreeBSD doesn't support wayland yet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SoftNum posted:

Is there a fork of FreeBSD that supports i686 and wayland? QUick googling suggests mainline FreeBSD doesn't support wayland yet.
As of FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE, which included the EVDEV option in the GENERIC kernel config, Wayland should work out of the box* - and FreeBSD will support i486+ for at least half a dozen more years since it hasn't been pulled from 13-CURRENT yet, and 13-RELEASE will be supported for at least 5 years as it's currently supported.

*: I'm running Kodi with Wayland on 12-STABLE from before 12.1-RELEASE came out, and there it works well. At some point I plan to go to -RELEASE on that box, so I'll find out whether it works for sure. Additionally, after posting this, I also found someone else who reports that it works.

EDIT: Also note that 80386 isn't supported because FPU can't be guaranteed, and it's simply too slow without it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 25, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

NetBSD will run on anything ;)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

taqueso posted:

NetBSD will run on anything ;)
I know, I run it on several devices including a X68000 which is a huge boon because Human68k in Japanese is a pain in the rear end for debugging.

Vrtra
Mar 25, 2017

the monster in your nightmares
How are the drivers for the NVidia GTX 1650 4 GB? I'm getting a Thinkpad X1 Extreme(Gen 2) with one of those babies in it, and although I'm aware it might be suboptimal to using Windows.. I imagine I can still play a number of games pretty well with proton from Stream provided the NVidia drivers are pretty okay. I'm fine with the drivers being proprietary.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Nvidia's site seems to say it's supported in the latest version.

Gaming on Linux with Wine can still be pretty hit and miss (depends on the game, really), but Steam Play and Lutris with DXVK and D9VK are pretty good. Quite a few games have Linux versions, too.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I have a 1080 and use the nvidia native drivers and I can play linux native (Factorio) and Lutris (Blizzard games) basically flawlessly. I've played some stuff through proton (Steam) as well, though it is hit and miss.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Little homelab exercise I've been toying around with.

Could someone talk me through some logistical questions on setting up a cluster with compute nodes that boot from PXE/iSCSI? Perhaps not physical nodes but let's say VMs for now. If I did physical hardware it would probably be boards with IPMI.

Presumably I would want some immutable system image to contain the important parts of the filesystem - binaries and libraries and such. Then I would have a PXE image that contains the /boot and grub and such that tells the node where to go to find the iscsi image? And the home directories and stuff are just ephemeral and disappear after shutdown.

How do I logistically go about assigning IPs and bringing the nodes onto SLURM as automatically as possible? It seems like the nodes would ideally find themselves the lowest node number that hasn't been allocated yet and use that as their IP. So let's say it finds node 0 is the first number available, that node becomes 192.168.50.0 (where 192.168.50.x is some range I'm not using). Or is this something that PXE could automatically tweak on the boot image to tell it what node it is? Or do I use a GUID as the node number and just let DHCP assign IPs?

If I end up having different PXE images (let's say one for GPU machines and one for CPU machines) how do you control which machine gets which PXE image? Is there something on the tftp server that can auto handle that based on MAC or something like that? Or handle it at a network level, move the different nodes onto different VLANs or allocated DHCP ranges so that they access a different "instance" of the tftp server?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Paul MaudDib posted:

Could someone talk me through some logistical questions on setting up a cluster with compute nodes that boot from PXE/iSCSI? Perhaps not physical nodes but let's say VMs for now. If I did physical hardware it would probably be boards with IPMI.

Presumably I would want some immutable system image to contain the important parts of the filesystem - binaries and libraries and such. Then I would have a PXE image that contains the /boot and grub and such that tells the node where to go to find the iscsi image? And the home directories and stuff are just ephemeral and disappear after shutdown.

How do I logistically go about assigning IPs and bringing the nodes onto SLURM as automatically as possible? It seems like the nodes would ideally find themselves the lowest node number that hasn't been allocated yet and use that as their IP. So let's say it finds node 0 is the first number available, that node becomes 192.168.50.0 (where 192.168.50.x is some range I'm not using). Or is this something that PXE could automatically tweak on the boot image to tell it what node it is? Or do I use a GUID as the node number and just let DHCP assign IPs?

If I end up having different PXE images (let's say one for GPU machines and one for CPU machines) how do you control which machine gets which PXE image? Is there something on the tftp server that can auto handle that based on MAC or something like that? Or handle it at a network level, move the different nodes onto different VLANs or allocated DHCP ranges so that they access a different "instance" of the tftp server?

This is a big question.

When a machine sends out its DHCP discover the DHCP server will refer it to a TFTP server which will hand out a kernel and some parameters for it and possibly an initrd if necessary and where to find its root filesystem which can either be an iSCSI IQN or NFS path.
IPs should be assigned through DHCP as well, you can just let it select an IP from the pool, or if you have a big list of all the MACs of the VMs from scraping ec2 or something you can generate dhcpd configs specific for every mac. If you're doing hardware and there isn't a real API to scrape, then scraping switch arp tables are awesome for getting a list of everything.

You'll want to drop a script into /etc/rc.local or the systemd equivalent that runs at boot to do any necessary set up or registration. Personally I like using IPs as identifiers, I don't know anything about slurm but I'd set my ID to whatever the IP I was assigned if possible, MAC addresses are also cool.

If you have multiple PXE images you want to hand out, again you could probably have a master list of all the MACs of what will be PXE booting and generate a dhcp config specific to each, where the GPUs get pointed to a different TFTP config than the non-GPU. Or if that's not possible you can chainload into iPXE where you can do some more elaborate client-side logic of determining how to proceed with booting. It looks like iPXE can read PCI devices attached so you could do a conditional based on that. http://ipxe.org/cmd/pciscan.

An alternative to iPXE for determining if you're a GPU instance or not is exactly what you suggested and have the machines be on different subnets/vlans and have a more generalized DHCP configuration that directs subnet A/eth1 requestors to tftp config A while subnet B/eth2 requestors get tftpconfig B.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 27, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, if you dig into the specifics of pxelinux, machines will ask for a config file based on the install interface's mac address. If that file doesn't exist it chops off an octet and tries again until it runs out of octets. If that still fails it will request pxelinux.cfg. So you would author a config file specific to every node.

As for assigning addresses, that's all basic dhcp server config. You can bind ips to mac addresses if you like or just create a pool of addresses the server will hand out to anyone that asks for one. The dhcp server will also specify what boot image to use. Normally for a linux cluster it's going to be pxelinux.0 but if you have alternate boot images (ipxe, whatever) that's another place to customize how a system boots.

Another more modern consideration is to look at puppet razor. It's a young product and I haven't had a chance to try it in production yet so no idea how stable it is, but my tests have been promising. It lets you specify classes of servers based on hardware facts (memory, core count, hard drives, whatever) and assign them an OS install based on the results and whether a server role is unfullfilled.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've done this for my Kubernetes cluster. You setup a TFTP server which has the kernel and some other bits. You create a directory layout on the TFP machine which makes it possible to have distinct folders per machine, the Raspberry looks for its ID, some other way is using MAC addresses. After you've done this you export some NFS filesystems based on the IP address of the node ( which you reserved using DHCP ) decompress an Linux image on it and it is off to the races.

Took some work, but it works really well and no more SD card problems. Another handy feature is snapshotting the cluster using ZFS before upgrades.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSziR6sD8Q&t=700s

Lol the first 11:40 is just the bootup.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

To be fair, it only takes a minute to get to user mode.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I recently took the plunge on using whole-disk encryption on my Fedora install. Everything works, but is there some way to request a reboot (or something close to a reboot) that doesn't require that I trot my happy rear end to wherever the computer is to type the encryption key before the machine will boot up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I recently took the plunge on using whole-disk encryption on my Fedora install. Everything works, but is there some way to request a reboot (or something close to a reboot) that doesn't require that I trot my happy rear end to wherever the computer is to type the encryption key before the machine will boot up?
When a CPU reset happens as part of a reboot, the contents of the memory are cleared - so there's no way for the FDE key to remain in memory.
You have to use IPMI, SoL, or some sort of other out-of-band management (VNC server via UEFI-GOP?).