Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't this how Uber was supposed to work in the very beginning? Dudes giving rides to other dudes when they were bored for gas/beer money?

Before uber turned into the tumor it is now

That was the ad copy. The whole point was to run cab companies out of business by undercutting them with underpaid jitneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

quote:

constipated goon
This sounds very similar to the symptoms my grandmother had. Her regular doctor kept on saying it was nothing to worry about and prescribing her medication. Then one day her regular doctor was on holiday, and she went do a different doctor in her village, he poked around her abdomen a bit with his hands, became very worried and immediately scheduled an (I think) MRI.
She died of colon cancer a year later.

So in conclusion, go see a doctor, and if the symptoms persist, maybe go see another one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't this how Uber was supposed to work in the very beginning? Dudes giving rides to other dudes when they were bored for gas/beer money?

Before uber turned into the tumor it is now

No, the original Uber was about getting black cars/limos on demand so you could feel like a celebrity. It was several years before they started with Uber X.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

No, the original Uber was about getting black cars/limos on demand so you could feel like a celebrity. It was several years before they started with Uber X.

I thought at least part of it was getting cabs that would actually pick you up if you were black.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uber/Lyft/Grubhub/AirBnB/Amazon, functionally all major web-based business models from the last 20 years can all functionally be explained as “an existing consumer service... but deregulated!” which is how these things became ubiquitous and hypernormalized... we all wanted delivery food and cheap taxis and fancy weekend getaways in nice hotels, we just didn’t want to pay what those things should really cost, and as a result the economy has now somewhat reformatted into a terrible guessing game where the only winners are these monolithic companies business boards.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought at least part of it was getting cabs that would actually pick you up if you were black.

Nah, that was part of the Uber X pitch; out of the gate it was “everybody feels like a pimp”. It _was_ about actually getting a car to show up in SF, which pre-Uber was generally an experience reserved for the rich, famous, or incredibly lucky.

(It’s not clear that either of the co-founders even knew that black people sometimes had trouble getting cabs to pick them up.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If cab companies weren't such garbage fires, Uber never would have taken off. It used to be a crap shoot calling a cab to pick you up and if it was for something important like going to the airport it could really gently caress your day up if they didn't show.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
True statement about cab companies. We called a couple weeks in advance to reserve a car on new year's Eve like 6 years ago. They didn't show, and when we called they acted like we were idiots for expecting them to be on time on NYE. Why the gently caress did they accept our reservation if they had no intention in honoring it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but that’s ground floor bullshit. Now we have giant Air BnB development houses that are boxing out renters and taking over entire neighborhoods just to convert them into long term AirBnBs where the tenants have basically no rights, and Uber and Lyft are simply two heads on the same Hydra. Every single Uber driver in my city is also a Lyft driver and works for Door Dash. For many people in the south it’s the easiest way for a POC or an immigrant to get a job, but these people have very little personal protections because so few labor laws apply to them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but that’s ground floor bullshit. Now we have giant Air BnB development houses that are boxing out renters and taking over entire neighborhoods just to convert them into long term AirBnBs where the tenants have basically no rights, and Uber and Lyft are simply two heads on the same Hydra. Every single Uber driver in my city is also a Lyft driver and works for Door Dash. For many people in the south it’s the easiest way for a POC or an immigrant to get a job, but these people have very little personal protections because so few labor laws apply to them.

Many of them have to go into debt to get a suitable vehicle as well; very easy to end up losing money on the whole equation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And that's a stupid as hell decision. Don't buy a car to drive for what is essentially only supposed to be a part time job. At some point personal accountability has to come into play.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Solice Kirsk posted:

And that's a stupid as hell decision. Don't buy a car to drive for what is essentially only supposed to be a part time job. At some point personal accountability has to come into play.

Sure, but you could also say "don't call a worker a contractor when he works for you full-time". And they do encourage people to make it more than a part time job, they want it to become their full time job but they don't want to treat the people like they're even employees. Pretty sure they even try to hook drivers up with car credit offers

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it's the only work you can get and you don't have a car your options are
-go into debt to buy a car and hope you can make enough money to pull yourself out of the hole before you end up on the street
-end up on the street
Like yeah its "supposed" to just be a part time job but things really aren't working how they're "supposed" to right now and I don't think it's right to poo poo on the people just trying to survive in a world they are increasingly helpless to affect change in

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that kind of sucks, but going into debt to get out of debt is not a choice to make and I think it comes down to being educated on poo poo like that which most people never receive until it's too late.

One of my clients actually asked me recently if I'd consider going to work for him at his nonprofit that teaches at risk and extremely low income people how banking and credit and investing works. I've been giving it some real thought since I absolutely hate my job.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, that kind of sucks, but going into debt to get out of debt is not a choice to make and I think it comes down to being educated on poo poo like that which most people never receive until it's too late.

One of my clients actually asked me recently if I'd consider going to work for him at his nonprofit that teaches at risk and extremely low income people how banking and credit and investing works. I've been giving it some real thought since I absolutely hate my job.

Do it. The best thing you can give to another human being is knowledge. Especially if that knowledge is how to navigate the intentionally complex credit and banking system.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Hey poop goon get some powdered ginger and drink 1/2 tsp in water 2 or 3 times a day. Anti inflammatory compounds collect in the cells of your intestines and I won't go into it more than that because it sounds like retarded hippy poo poo but read this meta study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92775/#!po=9.75000

Ginger is cool and also good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MustardFacial posted:

Do it. The best thing you can give to another human being is knowledge. Especially if that knowledge is how to navigate the intentionally complex credit and banking system.

Which has been deliberately kept out of the public educational curriculum and even generational skills usually aren't passed down.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think a Home Economics class should be mandatory for all high school students. That and auto repair are the two courses that have helped me the most in adulthood.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think a Home Economics class should be mandatory for all high school students. That and auto repair are the two courses that have helped me the most in adulthood.

I took both of those and I'm a huge dumb rear end

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There is no therapy that will put empathy into someone with anti-social personality disorder/whatever umbrella term is appropriate here. You can only teach someone afflicted with this to practice aping empathy and to curb their worst impulses. It's super depressing no matter how you look at it.

I got more of a schizoid personality disorder vibe from that post, which is entirely benign.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm office donkey dick. I liked that moniker, by the way.

Things have kind of cooled off between me and MiLF coworker. I think she does still do some things to kind of tease, like bending over near me, or leaning causing her top to expose some more. But, that is probably just wishful thinking. No new pictures, even though I 'jokingly' request. She's used to it by now, but gently caress it worked at least three times in the past. She can still be playfully flirty, sometimes.

She did show me a picture of her dressed as a school girl when she was in her early 20s. Said I couldn't keep it. Told her that she should just take a picture OF the picture. No joy.

She also sent me a picture of just her legs in boots, that I commented on that day. I joked the next day that I was going to pretend that was all she was wearing. She admitted that it was, right before she got in the shower, she figured she'd show me. It's been more than a few months since I've had anything new..

So, unfortunately, I don't think I'll have anymore to confess. If anything cool happens, you guys will be the first to know.

Until then. I'll just be blueballed, while rocking some tight rear end jeans.

"please, look at my junk", I now declare proudly.

maybe stop pestering this lady, honestly, I think the well is extremely dry. You can get sexy pictures from the Internet

quote:

A small confession.

I'm 36, and I can't parallel park for poo poo. When I try, I end up about 2 feet away from the curb. I now have a car with a backup cam, so I think that could help? I'm tempted to just go to a parking lot late at night and practice.

It's part of the test to get your license when your 16, where I lived. I went on my birthday, and did a pretty poo poo job. But the lady cut me some slack, and passed me.

I am definitely one of those people who will park a LONG way away, to avoid it. This is my shame. :(

Honestly my parallel-parking success rate is 45% at best, it seems to be a pretty common thing

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

loquacius posted:

You can get sexy pictures from the Internet

You can? Holy poo poo this changes everything

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have acknowledged that I am not a great parallel Parker.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You can? Holy poo poo this changes everything

Sure thing donkey dick.

lovely parker goon: Do you have power mirrors in your car? Pretty much everyone does so..... Just point them fuckin mirrors down when you're trying to park. Works for backing in to parking spots too when you care about staying in the lines.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't parallel park once in my life until about a year ago. My driving test was in a suburb so I just faked it parking behind one car. I don't see why going and practicing somewhere isn't an option. That's what I did once I had to start doing it. Like how the gently caress else are you going to learn?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
When you’re in a narrow, one-way street with cars parked on both sides, trying to fit the behemoth the rental company gave you into a spot that’s about a foot too short, while three drivers piled up behind you honk their horns in unison. Isn’t that how everybody learns it?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Go practice. At some point a switch will flip and it will seem easy from that point on and you can be a smug rear end in a top hat about all the people that suck at it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I never had to parallel park for my drivers test. I have never even attempted to parallel park to this dah

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In theory, looking at a schematic of how to do it from a top down perspective, parallel parking is a piece of cake.

In reality, it is one of the greatest pains in the rear end ever invented by man.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I never got how people have a hard time with parallel parking.

You just pull up parallel to the car in front of the spot, crank the wheel to the right, gas it and smash your fender into the car in front and speed off while crying and looking over your shoulder.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You’re all terrible drivers parallel parking super duper easy

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bust Rodd posted:

You’re all terrible drivers parallel parking super duper easy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Parallel parking is easy if you don’t care about scratching your wheels or about your car at all. I recommend getting a car with huge tires that are bigger than the curb and have at it until you lose the fear.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How the gently caress do you scratch your wheels they rub against coarse asphalt all day :confused:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

How the gently caress do you scratch your wheels they rub against coarse asphalt all day :confused:

"curb rash"

It's where you rub your wheels against the curb and scratch them or as my wife calls it "parking sonar"

she's lucky she's cute...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL it must’ve been rad learning to drive in a car your family could afford to fix up if you hosed it up, I learned to parallel park immaculately because if the car came home scuffed I lost my loving keys.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL it must’ve been rad learning to drive in a car your family could afford to fix up if you hosed it up, I learned to parallel park immaculately because if the car came home scuffed I lost my loving keys.

My dad wouldn’t let me practice our family cars and said I’d have to buy my own and insurance first then wouldn’t let me get a job either until I was 18 so it took me over a year to save up enough to buy and insure a beater.
Congrats on keeping me alive dad. I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My dad taught me how to drive by bringing me into the city and making me drive home to the burbs on the side streets after a Sox game. You want to learn how to drive stick quickly? Try stalling out at stop signs/traffic lights while 100 cars behind you are honking and screaming at you to go.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Management posted:

Parallel parking is easy if you don’t care about scratching your wheels or about your car at all. I recommend getting a car with huge tires that are bigger than the curb and have at it until you lose the fear.

true story:

back in 2010 or so I worked with a guy who had a ford hatchback covered with 4chan meme stickers... pedobear, whatever else was popular at the time, pretty much the most embarrassing vehicle I could imagine owning

one time my idiot boss made us move our entire lovely datacenter basically overnight since he'd violated the lease terms and use our personal vehicles to haul equipment between the old site and the new one

anyways this guy had to parallel park his weird car and he scratched his rims and then he got out and almost cried

the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I really thought today would be the day I'd do better and really try.

Instead I was 15 minutes late to work because I was jacking off in my car outside a Curves.

There's always tomorrow

Seriously though depression is a hell of a thing and not many people can manage it alone. If you see (old) thread title you don't have to talk about where you park to jack off, you can just talk about the stuff that's really bothering you.

quote:

My wife was watching something the other day where one of the characters farted and said they'd been holding it for hours. I've heard this joke in movies my whole life, so I commented how unrealistic it was that someone could hold their farts for that long.

She looked at me, genuinely confused, which confused me in turn, and asked what I meant.

So... I literally cannot hold my farts at all. I'm 30 and didn't know this was a thing people can do. I thought it was a joke when people said they could. I've never poo poo myself, so I feel like I have a healthy sphincter. I usually poop once a day, and can hold it for hours if need be, but if I have to fart it comes out immediately. In an emergency scenario I can kind of like shift my butt cheeks so there is no sound, but the stank is coming out.

She claims she can hold hers for hours. I don't dare ask anyone else I know, lest be mocked.

I still have trouble believing it. Can everyone else really hold their farts for hours at a time?

I dunno maybe I could but I don't

I just straight-up fart at work who cares