Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

nationalize all canadian hockey teams, sportsnet and turn don cherry into some sort of lav

...sell don cherry to the saudis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pokeyman posted:

that’s a poo poo pegging hand

wow. the legion is a lot kinkier than i remember

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
cherry usually has terrible camouflage

unless the fight is in a grandmother's sitting room

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

that’s a poo poo pegging hand what were you thinking

When you're down over 10 points and it's your crib you don't pull off a win by throwing out a winning hand hoping to peg out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

...sell don cherry to the saudis?

:hmmyes:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

nationalize all canadian hockey teams, sportsnet and turn don cherry into some sort of lav

https://twitter.com/journorosa/status/1193569155515113472?s=20

The views of the man we pay large amounts of money and give substantial airtime to during our most watched tv program do not represent our values.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
He's getting more senile by the year

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

linoleum floors posted:

He's getting more senile by the year

So he'll become US President in 2024? :thunk:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If that happens at least we won't have to hear his crotchety bullshit at intermission on Saturdays.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if the CPC had their poo poo together that man would be prime minister right now

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

apatheticman posted:

The views of the man we pay large amounts of money and give substantial airtime to during our most watched tv program do not represent our values.

And that were said on your broadcast

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'd love for him to list the wars we've fought to defend the canadian way of life

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'd been kind of drifting away from watching hockey for years but the shift over to Sportsnet is really what killed it off completely for me. I can't even point to specific reasons why. Maybe it was just realizing that the whole "Canada's game" thing and associated marketing campaigns from complimentary brands like Tim’s, crappy tire and molson is just a ridiculous play on nationalistic emotions.

But good luck attracting new fans with your 85 year old racist who is given 10 minutes on Saturday to boil over on whatever has been stewing in his pudding brain all week, Sportsbet!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

apatheticman posted:

Lol they've had that ready to go for months just waiting for him to start spouting

We're going to see it weekly as time goes on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the "i'm not racist but" defence force is really getting the lead out for this one

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

apatheticman posted:

my favourite part is how old stock don will never apologize directly

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

infernal machines posted:

i'd love for him to list the wars we've fought to defend the canadian way of life

If I remember when I'm in the office tomorrow, I'll see if I can find a passage of how the war was sold to Canadians ("high diction"). The stuff that was said is absolutely unreal, even when remembering that it's century-old hyper-nationalism.

e: found it quoted in a fb status update:

quote:

“Yet, like Chown, they did not waver in their conviction that the British side was carrying the torch of civilization itself. A victory for Germany would be a victory for thuggishness and a defeat for evolution — a return to medieval despotism and slavery. It would be a victory for the “German God,” who was a mere figment of the mind,” and not to be confused with what he “God of Christ” who was cheering for our soldiers as they died nobly for the “redemption of generations as yet unborn.” It would also spell the end to the end to the world’s greatest political achievement, a British Empire within which a “new soul” was animating the Dominion of Canada.”

Hand Knit has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Nov 10, 2019

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's also good that Ron MacLean is getting dragged on this poo poo to.

gently caress that enabling gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

If I remember when I'm in the office tomorrow, I'll see if I can find a passage of how the war was sold to Canadians ("high diction"). The stuff that was said is absolutely unreal, even when remembering that it's century-old hyper-nationalism.

e: found it quoted in a fb status update:

quote:

“Yet, like Chown, they did not waver in their conviction that the British side was carrying the torch of civilization itself. A victory for Germany would be a victory for thuggishness and a defeat for evolution — a return to medieval despotism and slavery. It would be a victory for the “German God,” who was a mere figment of the mind,” and not to be confused with what he “God of Christ” who was cheering for our soldiers as they died nobly for the “redemption of generations as yet unborn.” It would also spell the end to the end to the world’s greatest political achievement, a British Empire within which a “new soul” was animating the Dominion of Canada.”

woof. that's some poo poo

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only saw one poppy this year. On an immigrant, but that doesn't really mean that much when we're talking dozens to hundreds of people.

All the D&D poppy chat thus really weirded me out for its seeming lack of relevance.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

the world war against political correctness gone mad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's another contrived media narrative that postmedia likes to push re: rose tinted canadian values bullshit.

to the extent that it exists, it exists because they keep bringing it up. it's just another part of their lamenting the loss of some idealized old-stock (white) canada

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:dings:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Jun 20, 2021

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

I only saw one poppy this year. On an immigrant, but that doesn't really mean that much when we're talking dozens to hundreds of people.

All the D&D poppy chat thus really weirded me out for its seeming lack of relevance.

If relevance was a criteria for talking about politics then there'd be no point in a dedicated CanPol thread to begin with.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

if the CPC had their poo poo together that man would be prime minister right now

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
I wear my poppy right through the frenum. God bless are troops.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I like seeing fewer and fewer poppies in the public at large, I feel like the message of “Canadians aren’t warlike we are peace keepers” is foundering in light of not have ever really been true, I’m glad of it

gently caress the army

FWIW my 8 year old told me the other day that Canada's army only fights for peace, something she must have learned at school. F(l)oundering? Not on your life. Its being passed to a new generation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

did you ask her how it's possible to fight for peace?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

"Fighting for peace" is a foundational myth of British imperialism. Peace is achieved through subduing the lesser races so that they may be broken down and then built up again by British values.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It was our burden to bear the torch of civilization to these savage lands, etc.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

She's 8 years old. There will be plenty of time for harsh realities.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk, it's as good a time as any to get her questioning official narratives.

i mean, except for the part where that also will make the rest of parenting really inconvenient.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I mean, I had a pretty honest talk with her about our family who fought in WWII. The main points were that they were only teenagers when they went off to fight and that a lot of the soldiers killed in war are just children not much older than her. I feel like that was enough darkness for one Remembrance Day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, yeah, that's as good a way as any of confronting the horrors of war and putting the lie to our reverence for the CF

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

what does this have to do with war?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Much like war, someone's making a loving bundle from it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol they fumbled a blackface scandal

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Who isn't fighting for peace? Isn't the whole purpose to achieve a favorable peace?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Who isn't fighting for peace? Isn't the whole purpose to achieve a favorable peace?

explain it to me like i'm eight.

without using euphemisms like "more favourable peace"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

"Fighting for peace" is a foundational myth of British imperialism. Peace is achieved through subduing the lesser races so that they may be broken down and then built up again by British values.

*building sold seperately