Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean if we’re gonna ask people to work together, why not just post Donnie & Marie Osmond.

https://twitter.com/_kaburi_/status/1193367900909797377?s=21

ACE Twitter is mad at Death Stranding today because this one in game document leads them to believe that all of the apocalyptic symptoms of DS are the cause of or were exacerbated by people like Sam not banging enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean if we’re gonna ask people to work together, why not just post Donnie & Marie Osmond.

ACE Twitter is mad at Death Stranding today because this one in game document leads them to believe that all of the apocalyptic symptoms of DS are the cause of or were exacerbated by people like Sam not banging enough.

This is actually happening in Japan right now so I'm not surprised a Japanese game developer would include it as a part of a story about the future.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s also happening everywhere else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m addicted to building roads

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m addicted to building roads

I will literally clear a settlement out of metal and ceramic, load up my bike, and drive to the nearest unfinished road whenever I get the opportunity.

I think more than half my levels are in the Bridges category, simply because of my roads. I'm talking 70 ranks in it, give or take.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also happening everywhere else.

Perhaps just more dramatic in Japan because elsewhere immigration makes up for an otherwise declining population.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What are you even getting at? Say what you're gonna say.

They aren’t rock. They definitely aren’t top 10 in rock but I’ll give you top 10 in R&B. And they didn’t put out 50 albums unless you count the shitload of greatest hits and compilations albums their studio put out after they broke up.

A couple of us were jabbing you for posting them when mentioning teamwork when Ike is an abusive piece of poo poo. Chill.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are just like 10,000 other musician duos you could have mentioned that didn’t violently abuse each other, the ultimate hallmark of teamwork.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The idea that Goons could work together turned out to be a pipe dream all along.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Finally sat down to play few hours of Death Stranding last night. Pretty sure Kojima is a goon.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

This.... doesn't look good. Is there any in-game context to this or is it actually presented as it appears cuz if so oof

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man the game suggests people being shut ins and not loving lowered the birthrate. I am so offended.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tei posted:

Look at the map. There are huge cities, most of them have around 40.000 people. Is only that they are behind huge walls and you never enter them. People is living inside these cities and you only meet the people in ports outside the cities.

That makes sense, thanks.

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe they’re not real did you think about that

Just like how the mail order bride in Russia I sent money to wasn’t real

I unironically was considering this to be true.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

This.... doesn't look good. Is there any in-game context to this or is it actually presented as it appears cuz if so oof

It's a log from one character, who at the end basically says "idk I might be talking out my rear end"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wondering and I have yet to play a Kojima game (I own MSGV but is on my backlog). The guy is nuts but, wouldn't it just him creating a character with these ideas?

I mean, we see characters in films that are jerks/monsters/horrible beings but that doesn't mean that the director/writer is one but he creates said character to make an impression. I'm just wondering and I still don't know what Death Stranding is about or watched any gameplay besides the official trailer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bust Rodd posted:

I read this as the continuing of the theme of the isolation of people by our society and social media which is a theme in the game. This is something that is happening in Japan and is starting to happen in America. There are a bunch of studies and academics who are always pushing out that young people are having less sex.

Or it is kojima yelling about tumblr teens.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean narratively I would guess you're supposed to take that with a grain of salt and just use it as a perspective onto how some people in the storyworld feel about things? It says right in the screenshot before it cuts off "I must preempt myself because I admit I do not have any empirical data"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Imhotep posted:

also early Mads plot stuff: I love when he's dancing by himself, drunk, and falls down, it was kind of sad, but nice to see, because it kind of reassured me that Mads and Kojima's friendship isn't as one sided as people like to believe, some of his scenes are really well acted

loving loved that bit, honestly sealed the deal, don't care how long it takes me to beat the game or how convoluted/expositiony it gets, that bit makes it worth it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm asexual myself, and find it a gigantic stretch to say that the game is discriminating just based off that one screenshot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

loving loved that bit, honestly sealed the deal, don't care how long it takes me to beat the game or how convoluted/expositiony it gets, that bit makes it worth it.

Mads is definitely all in on it. I think Reedus actually is too, but I can't help but see him as Ellen Page in Beyond two souls sometimes lol. Like, "I think this is good? I'm into it? Is this guy creepin on me I cant tell?"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MGSV was an open world game that didn't reward exploration because there was nothing to do in it

Lol DS really makes the case that MGSV is unfinished, doesn't it. The world feels just so much more substantial, it's not a bunch of disguised corridors (especially in episode 3). I love that I can climb over pretty much anything, and I love even more that climbing is a huge pain I'd rather avoid. It's such an interesting contrast to most open world games, including BotW, which usually want you to explore every square inch of the map.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not wanting to explore everything seems like such a bad selling point, but it works insanely well. it's not like I dont have the interest "going to the top of that mountain" but I know the treachery that it will probably involve and I have a job to do. It's really just this constant risk/reward assessment.

Just nothing about it is a power fantasy. You are just trying to be the best most popular delivery guy.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I bet the views from some of those high points are amazing though. What if the DS postgame is just hiking to scenic points. Cargo loadout: SANDWICH, APPLE, TRAIL MIX, PODCAST

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Not wanting to explore everything seems like such a bad selling point, but it works insanely well. it's not like I dont have the interest "going to the top of that mountain" but I know the treachery that it will probably involve and I have a job to do. It's really just this constant risk/reward assessment.

Just nothing about it is a power fantasy. You are just trying to be the best most popular delivery guy.

I'm legit scared of the B.T.'s, they just hit all of the right spooky notes for my broken brain, so the thought of going off the beaten path and possibly running into them when there is no reward for doing so, is just not something i'm willing to do. There is a mission in chapter 3 that involves going into a crater, and it 1000% hosed me up.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JBP posted:

I understand the complaint and I regularly forget about the issues with huge downloads due to being blessed with good internet.

I will say those games are similar to Sekiro as far as next to no dialogue audio and no high res textures pretty much for the same reason as Sekiro seeking better frames. I'm always surprised at how much space uncompressed audio data takes up though. It seems like one of those things where the dev just goes ah gently caress it rather than something done to preserve quality or whatever.

I think that they do put in the effort, but you can really only compress audio up to like 25% at most, and that's probably ~half of the audio in the game, a lot of which gets compressed 10%, but just think about how much audio is in Death Stranding, there's hours of cutscenes, and there's even semi-procedurally generated music, which I think in this case, lowered the amount of audio data.

I went to google the name of something in the game and came across an interview with one of the composers which blew my mind, because my audio stuff/music theory professor graduated with him, his name's Joel Corelitz and he'd previously done stuff for Gorogoa (which is an amazing soundtrack and incredibly unique, it also uses basic generative techniques), Hohokum, The Tomorrow Children and The Unfinished Swan, so I was just really surprised that he worked with the main composer to come up with the sort of sound palette for the game, since he hadn't ever worked on a triple A game, and clearly loving nailed the soundtrack for this game. Here's an interesting interview/podcast with him, I think you'd find it interesting, KD: https://lwer.podbean.com/e/level-119-joel-corelitz-death-stranding/
here's a text interview that's basically just as informative: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/11/death-stranding-sound-design-interview.html

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah, that scene and a few other scenes like that are really incredible and understated in a way that's very un-Kojima, and maybe that's why they stand out so much, but still. I sort of feel the same way as Exquisite Tea does about most of the other characters (although some stuff I've just seen has made me a little more curious about Die Hardman and Deadman who I thought were the weakest characters), but if anything I need to see the plot through just for Mads' character's story.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 10, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://twitter.com/atPeteDodd/status/1193278124726861826?s=19

Stuck in hospital but at least I can Strand vicariously through clips like this

Arnold and Carl swole handshake but both arms have a little IV port and hospital bracelet

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I'm legit scared of the B.T.'s, they just hit all of the right spooky notes for my broken brain, so the thought of going off the beaten path and possibly running into them when there is no reward for doing so, is just not something i'm willing to do. There is a mission in chapter 3 that involves going into a crater, and it 1000% hosed me up.

That mission was a loving nightmare.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

acksplode posted:

Lol DS really makes the case that MGSV is unfinished, doesn't it. The world feels just so much more substantial, it's not a bunch of disguised corridors (especially in episode 3). I love that I can climb over pretty much anything, and I love even more that climbing is a huge pain I'd rather avoid. It's such an interesting contrast to most open world games, including BotW, which usually want you to explore every square inch of the map.

Speak for yourself! I’m actually interested in exploring areas specifically because it’s a pain in the rear end. I’m starting to fall behind everyone else because I’m dicking around

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I'm not sure how well the game's been received outside of this thread and Tim Rogers and Heather Alexandria's reviews, and the Giant Bomb preview with a grumpy rear end Jeff Gerstman who at least seemed to respect it even after going on and on about how much of it was nonsense, but even just that and seeing that it's one of the top sellers on the PS online store is just really awesome for triple A games and *hopefully* means more weird as hell, 8 figure mainstream video games. Even if that luxury is only afforded to so called auteurs, it's an exciting thing to see and now I desperately, desperately need Sony to give Yoko Taro a few hundred million dollars to make a game. I was already optimistic and have had a lot of goodwill since Sony supported the development of The Last Guardian for that long while preserving Fumito Ueda's vision, and even after some less than stellar reviews and if I had to guess, sales as well, they've still supported the game despite all that, and in a way that was clearly not just to try to sell more copies, like, you can tell Shuhei Yoshida loves the game, and all of that combined with the ongoing support for games like Dreams makes me incredibly excited to see what sort of wild poo poo we see on the PS5.

Steve Yun posted:

Speak for yourself! I’m actually interested in exploring areas specifically because it’s a pain in the rear end. I’m starting to fall behind everyone else because I’m dicking around

lol, after doing that mission in chapter 3 I specifically thought of you, and was going to post about that mission and say that I know a way to make missions harder now, if you want, after seeing the bonus I got for delivering the package despite what happened to me right after I grabbed the cargo.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 10, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
We need more big budget games that completely deemphasize guns and killing. That can't be the foundation of big budget games forever, for so many reasons. It's just been a foregone conclusion for 25 years and maybe the biggest thing about this game is Kojima challenging the idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Donovan Trip posted:

We need more big budget games that completely deemphasize guns and killing. That can't be the foundation of big budget games forever, for so many reasons. It's just been a foregone conclusion for 25 years and maybe the biggest thing about this game is Kojima challenging the idea.

Totally agree, but to me the most interesting thing is that it doesn't adhere to the traditional open world structure. I've wanted to see the GTA inspired open world blueprint smashed for so long, and tbf Breath of the Wild already sort of did that but DS blows it into the stratosphere.

I do love that it's not all about shooting people and getting shot like 90% of games though.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
how long does usually it take to get approved for the psgoons community? do i gotta do anything special on SA?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Took the bike back to captial knot and got the "easy way out" track playing from low roar and i think kojima was trying to tell me something.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh my god I hate the dynamic difficulty in Control; I just want to play comfortably and enjoy the story and setting instead of getting face-hosed everytime a boss appears.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

It didn't occur to me, mostly because they made lovely music.

Lobok posted:

It's not a dig at you. It's just a joke about how posting their song about cooperation is like saying "be like Ike and Tina" when obviously no one really wants to be like them.

Music specifically, and art more generally, work that way. I don't have to condone an artist's lovely behaviour in order to like their art or believe their message. In this case it's a song about racial harmony from their single most successful studio album. I'm sure you could agree that the world could use a little of that, even in our 'enlightened times' :shrug:

I posted it because it was sitting on a shelf facing me from across the room when I read the nice post of another goon.

jabro posted:

They aren’t rock. They definitely aren’t top 10 in rock but I’ll give you top 10 in R&B. And they didn’t put out 50 albums unless you count the shitload of greatest hits and compilations albums their studio put out after they broke up.

A couple of us were jabbing you for posting them when mentioning teamwork when Ike is an abusive piece of poo poo. Chill.

You're right, it's kind of reductive to just call them rock since they were like 3 music genres at once, though rock is absolutely one of them and their live shows are a testament to that. They recorded almost 2 dozen live albums and almost as many studio albums before they split. Ike Turner, in addition to being an abusive gently caress, was also an incredible guitar player and prolific musician, and one of a small handful of people credited for inventing the rock song itself. Humans are complicated.

Moreover, it's a real good performence by Tina specifically, of which there were a number on that album alone, and its themes resonate far and wide, beyond the messy and painful personal histories of its creators.

Which is kind of the point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

Took the bike back to captial knot and got the "easy way out" track playing from low roar and i think kojima was trying to tell me something.

I did the same, then I lost my bike in a river because I didn't scan far enough. gently caress my life.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Beat up some fucks, take their truck

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

At that part there are no trucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I trashed my bike and let my cargo get wrecked on purpose so I could reload. No idea how long it would have been before another bike turns up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Totally fair, I'd be doing the same thing if I wasn't trying to get as much progression in as I could before I have to travel for a few days. There's just a strong sense that there's no reward beyond the experience of a good hike, which helps sell the harshness and beauty of the world. It feels like an actual wilderness. I never picked up RDR2, but now I wonder how its wilderness compares.

I'm now way from the game until Thursday, so I'll be dripping out my thoughts. I'm deep into episode 3 and just totally hooked, can't wait to get back.