Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Me, leaving Home Depot with six sacks of fertizlier: "Tee-hee, this is going to be the best gender reveal, ever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Me, leaving Home Depot with six sacks of fertizlier: "Tee-hee, this is going to be the best gender reveal, ever."

The FBI kicks down my door to find me wiring a detonator attached to a serious quantity of diesel fuel and fertilizer with a map of the city on the wall on which I’ve circled the houses of fossil fuel executives and made notes about their daily schedules and I look up and say “Uh, oh, wow, fellas, are you here for the gender reveal? The gender reveal party this is for? This is for a, uh, gender reveal. Yeah.”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

The FBI kicks down my door to find me wiring a detonator attached to a serious quantity of diesel fuel and fertilizer with a map of the city on the wall on which I’ve circled the houses of fossil fuel executives and made notes about their daily schedules and I look up and say “Uh, oh, wow, fellas, are you here for the gender reveal? The gender reveal party this is for? This is for a, uh, gender reveal. Yeah.”

If you plot the explosions in a map they spell out "it's a boy'.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Lone Badger posted:

whoah, spoilers

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8yybSPtW5Q

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The latest SKRIM (scream) Podcast is about the 2011 Halloween Murder in Oslo and it made me want to lock every door in my house, including the bathrooms and pantry. Imagine one of your best friends being told by God that he needed to kill you, then feeling yourself dying after he stabs you in the heart, lungs, stomach, and head.

People can just have psychotic episodes sometimes and ruin your whole day.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

So most you in the thread are probably familiar by now with the recent killing of a group of mormons by a Mexican drug cartel, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50314700 targeting women and children. The group of mormons and catholics known as "Colonia LeBaron" is described as

"The victims were members of a community called Colonia LeBaron which was founded by a breakaway Mormon group in the first half of the 20th Century after the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the US started cracking down on polygamy.

The mainstream Mormon Church publicly rejected polygamy - the custom of having more than one spouse at the same time - in 1890 and after that some groups who wished to continue the practice broke away.

The Colonia LeBaron community now includes both Mormons and Catholics who have settled there. Members are known for standing up to local drug gangs and speaking out about the high levels of cartel violence. It has about 3,000 members, some of whom practise polygamy.

While local media say the convoy of cars may have been mistaken for that of a rival gang, the LeBaron community has been targeted by the cartels in the past. In 2009, Erick LeBaron was kidnapped for ransom. The community took a stand and said it would not pay for his release as that would just encourage future kidnappings.

Erick LeBaron was eventually released without a ransom being paid. But months later, his brother Benjamin was beaten to death. Benjamin's brother-in-law was also killed."

But the backstory is leaving out some real hosed up background. Much of the community is directly related to this fine man https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ervil_LeBaron who ordered the killings of at least 25 religious rivals, family members, and those trying to escape the community.

A survivor's account of escaping the religion, also published by BBC, is found here https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38526255

Not saying this was the cause of the attack, but it adds a whole lot of context that seemed to be missing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I am still agnostic about the “caught in a cartel conflict” explanation being floated so far, just because of the Colonia LeBaron history.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

On the other hand, the cartels are full of violent monsters who will kill you and your family for looking at them funny and Ervil LeBaron’s people have been out of the picture for a while now. I know how tempting it is to think there’s something fishy going on in a polygamous fundie mormon commune, because often there is, but the story as reported sounds totally plausible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ProperGanderPusher posted:

On the other hand, the cartels are full of violent monsters who will kill you and your family for looking at them funny and Ervil LeBaron’s people have been out of the picture for a while now. I know how tempting it is to think there’s something fishy going on in a polygamous fundie mormon commune, because often there is, but the story as reported sounds totally plausible.

Post name combo

:trumppop:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Post I heard is that they were digging tons of wells to drain the water table to grow walnuts and weren't very popular with their neighbours as a result.

On top of all the usual horrific rape and abuse these communities tend to have some other quirky tendencies like exiling boys and young men on the slightest excuse so they don't provide any competition for the old men to take on more child brides.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Nov 7, 2019

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sounds like the Mexican gangs want them to gently caress off and they wont take the hint.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want to clarify I'm not going to side with narcos on this.

None of these people were anything to me other than victims. What happened to these children and their families is a drat crime and completely unconscionable.

It is just an unfortunate side effect of the "learn terrible things about humanity" thread that we distrust the community that was attacked, and I'm wary of the way Mexicans are represented in the media, including news.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm wary of the way Mexicans are represented in the media, including news.

I have no idea what you’re talking about :ese:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jeffersonmorley/status/1193146724166119424?s=19

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The Cartels are starting to meaningfully muscle in on the Avocado trade, which might be enough to make White America actually care about what's happening on their southern border.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Acute Grill posted:

The Cartels are starting to meaningfully muscle in on the Avocado trade, which might be enough to make White America actually care about what's happening on their southern border.

If it makes avocados cheaper it won't.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it makes avocados cheaper it won't.

Yeah, the black market is famous for selling for the lowest profit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
street weed is still cheaper than legal weed in some places.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, the black market is famous for selling for the lowest profit.

It ain't a claymore mine or a kidney. Illegal fruit is always super loving cheap in my experience. Buying street side truck fruits and meats was the best thing about living in Arizona. I once got six fresh lobsters for like $10. The truck produce guys in Chicago are pretty good, but it was no comparison to how awesome it was out in Arizona.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wait i thought people selling black market food out of trucks was always a scam (ie, truck steak guys) you’re sayin some people sell actually good food on the black market?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Xibanya posted:

Wait i thought people selling black market food out of trucks was always a scam (ie, truck steak guys) you’re sayin some people sell actually good food on the black market?

How do you think people get panda steaks and orphan pâté?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i crave the tang of illegal fruit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fauna posted:

i crave the tang of illegal fruit
well okay Jeffrey

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
A well-known Russian historian has confessed to murdering his lover - a former student - his lawyer says, after he was found in a river with a backpack containing a woman's arms.

Oleg Sokolov, 63, was drunk and fell into the river as he tried to dispose of body parts, local media said.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do you remember this ant colony?

quote:

A unique accumulation of workers (‘colony’) of the wood ant Formica polyctena Först., trapped within an old bunker for storing nuclear weapons, is described. The source of the ‘colony’ is a large colony nesting outdoors, on top of the bunker. Individuals that have fallen down through a ventilation pipe are not able to find their way back to the mother nest. In total darkness, they have constructed an earthen mound, which they have maintained all-year-round by moulding it and keeping the nest entrances open. Judging from the huge deposits of wood-ant corpses in the bunker, the ‘colony’ has survived for years. Through these years, the mortality has been more than compensated by new workers that fall down during the active season of the free-living colony outside, and at present the number of the bunker workers is counted in hundreds of thousands. The ‘colony’ has evidently produced no offspring, which is due to low (though relatively stable) temperatures and scanty food in the bunker.

Turns out that

quote:

The survival and growth of the bunker ‘colony’ through the years, without producing own offspring, was possible owing to continuous supply of new workers from the upper nest (Czechowski et al. 2016) and accumulation of nestmate corpses. The corpses served as an inexhaustible source of food which substantially allowed survival of the ants trapped down in otherwise extremely unfavourable conditions.

and guess what our intrepid researchers did next:

https://jhr.pensoft.net/article/38972/

Getting a kick out of the keywords:

quote:

Keywords
Adaptability, Formica polyctena, marginal habitats, scarce food resources, wood ants

aphid_licker has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Nov 10, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

aphid_licker posted:

and guess what our intrepid researchers did next:

This strikes me as absolutely adorable. Coulda plugged the hole and eradicated the colony but this is much better. :3:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can someone clarify that what they've done here is given the sad cannibal ants an edible elevator to the surface world?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

That is one hell of a username/post combo.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

atomicgeek posted:

That is one hell of a username/post combo.

I like ants :downs:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can someone clarify that what they've done here is given the sad cannibal ants an edible elevator to the surface world?

Well, the ants left already.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Busket Posket posted:

A well-known Russian historian has confessed to murdering his lover - a former student - his lawyer says, after he was found in a river with a backpack containing a woman's arms.

Oleg Sokolov, 63, was drunk and fell into the river as he tried to dispose of body parts, local media said.

article posted:

Prof Sokolov reportedly told police that he killed his lover during an argument and then sawed off her head, arms and legs.

He is said to have planned to get rid of the body before publicly committing suicide dressed as Napoleon.

Mr Pochuyev said Prof Sokolov - who has been receiving hospital treatment for hypothermia - may have been under stress.

Sure, we all do silly things when we're stressed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just an exit, not intended to be eaten. Researchers spent years studying them in labs and found that they only engaged in aggression and cannibalism out of necessity. They're almost all out and acting like normal ants now, and any that fall in can get out.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/06/russian-armys-hazing-culture-drove-son-ramil-shamsutdinov-to-kill-soldiers-says-father

quote:

Ramil Shamsutdinov opened fire from his service weapon last week on a military base in Russia’s Transbaikal region, killing two officers and six soldiers. Some media reports said he targeted the heads of his victims during the rampage.

Defence officials have looked for factors besides hazing that may have caused the incident, saying that Shamsutdinov may have suffered a nervous breakdown unrelated to his service. But his father told Russian journalists on Wednesday that he believed his son had been bullied mercilessly by his fellow soldiers.

“What could have driven him to this?” Shamsutdinov’s father told the Russian outlet RBC. “It’s immediately clear: hazing. Persistent bullying over a long period of time. That drove him to this state.”

quote:

Several cases have caused major scandals. One soldier had to have his genitalia amputated in 2006 after being beaten and forced to squat for several hours on New Year’s Day by a likely intoxicated sergeant. Despite a decade-long reform of the army and shortening of the conscription period to one year, reports of brutal hazing and suspicious suicides have continued to plague army units.

quote:

In Shamsutdinov’s case, defence officials have claimed there was no animosity among soldiers on the base in south-eastern Siberia. The head of the Union of Russian Officers, an NGO that regularly takes a pro-Kremlin stance, said the rampage may have been inspired by violent video games.

But regional reports suggest otherwise. The news outlet 72.ru from Shamsutdinov’s native region of Tyumen said that a lieutenant on the base was known to demand money from conscripts, force them to stay awake for days on end, and bullied young soldiers in other ways.

“Clearly he ended up in this type of group,” Shamsutdinov’s brother told RBC. “Maybe over several months he was bullied, persecuted, things were said to him. I myself served, I know how it can happen.”

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/11/06/they-warned-theyll-rape-me-russian-soldier-stands-by-mass-shooting-a68062

quote:

“That day, [the officers] promised to turn me out. They warned me that, like, they’ll rape me,” the Baza news website quoted Shamsutdinov as saying.

“I know they’d turned all the other young ones out before me. If that evening was my turn, I had nowhere to go, what should I have done?” Shamsutdinov reportedly said.

[...]

“Who do I complain to if the officers themselves beat me? I thought about running away but everything was closed. What was I to do?” Shamsutdinov said.

“The only thing I'm sorry for is that I accidentally hit two guys who had nothing to do with it. I have no pity for the others,” Baza quoted him as saying.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

cannibal ant reconciliation is the unexpected feel-good story of the year

on another note, man-on-woman violence is never funny (unlike ant-on-ant violence) and i live my life in fear that a man will murder me. but, and i never thought i'd say this, i hope that if a man ever does murder me, he does me the honour of sawing my body into pieces and then committing public suicide while wearing me on his back and dressed as napoleon

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

fauna posted:

Yeah but they only had one song and that was a cover.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

fauna posted:

...until they went up and ate all the smart ants that didn't fall in :(

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Sigh, another shoo... :stare:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

hellotoothpaste posted:

...until they went up and ate all the smart ants that didn't fall in :(
they didn't though, they integrated peacefully back into ant society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm imagining an ant version of Ravenous taking place and it's filling my heart with joy.