Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

Someone literally used "for realsies" in an interview journalism is dead.

Sounds like Druidsfire, who in short is a person who voluntarily volunteers for Cordovan just to be on the show which should sum them up

Today's pretty big patch:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7950630#post7950630

Upcoming patch that finally gives us our new (up to) 6 man instance:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7950829#post7950829

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Cool, I'll jump into HD asap then. Btw, I haven't upgraded my staff since level 58 (http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?lotritem=14800)
.. Is it normal for LMs to keep the same staff for ages and just upgrade the sword offhand? I haven't found any even close to it in stats so far, and I'm L87.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Lars posted:

Cool, I'll jump into HD asap then. Btw, I haven't upgraded my staff since level 58 (http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?lotritem=14800)
.. Is it normal for LMs to keep the same staff for ages and just upgrade the sword offhand? I haven't found any even close to it in stats so far, and I'm L87.

No, that's not normal--if you're using third age weapons you want to be upgrading them every 5 levels, maybe every 10 if you're using second agers. Random level 85 third age LI drops should be doing vastly more dps than a level 60 second ager even before you put points into them.

ETA: If you don't have a drop handy the fastest solution is to head to a skirmish camp and barter with this vendor for a level 85 third ager. They should also sell for peanuts at the Auction House if anyone has felt like listing their trash drops recently.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 8, 2019

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Also, don't bother too much about upgrading your legendary weapon before you are lvl 100 when you can finally keep your last one and level it up as you go.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Right, great! I really couldn't figure out why it had so much longevity... I'll upgrade it asap. I hadn't really impacted my game much, since the pet is so OP, so I hadn't bothered to chase a new weapon.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7956422#post7956422

Tomorrow's patch notes are up and in short they're balancing the last six man instance, Rise of Isengard comes to the legendary servers, and-

"VIP and Lifetime VIP players who log in between September 5th after the update and September 30th will receive a free Armour of the Isengard Dispeller set as a gift! This armour is Bound to Account, and is in the style of the Rohirrim but inspired by Isengard."

It's a blue remake of the Isengard pre-order set with the design changed just enough to make it not break the whole "one time exclusive item" marketing promise

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Release Notes posted:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7956422#post7956422
The Rise of Isengard expansion has arrived on Anor and Ithil! Journey eastward toward the tower of Orthanc, where an army of Orcs and Uruk-hai make ready for war. Uncover new quests, skills, and traits as you strive to thwart Saruman's ambition! The level cap on the Legendary Worlds has been increased to 75 as well. Complete Instances in Isengard and the Great River, quest in the Limlight Gorge, and complete the Epic Story. Rewards include an account-wide Hooded Re-purposed Cloak of the White Hand, an account-wide Great River portrait frame, and an account-wide Dispeller of Isengard title.

So does that mean that playing the Isenguard xpac on the legendary servers gets you account wide stuff you can use on regular servers?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Morder 25% off this week. Was 50% off on Black Friday last year. I should have bought it then. Going to wait and see if they do the same this year.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Bilbo's birthday mini event today, runs a couple more days. Fun if you've never done it.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

the minas morgul pre orders are up and stout axes were just added.

https://lotro.com/en/minasithil/

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sgbyou posted:

the minas morgul pre orders are up and stout axes were just added.

https://lotro.com/en/minasithil/

40 dollar edition: Hell Yeah

80 or 130 dollars for a character boost they included in the 40 dollar edition last expansion pack: Idiot Mode

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
So these level boosts that come with the expansions, when you use them do they lock you out of any quests? It sounds like they come with optional items to complete class trait quests, but if you didn't use those and strictly used the level boost, nothing else, is any content locked for you?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Ugh, another level increase.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ossipago posted:

So these level boosts that come with the expansions, when you use them do they lock you out of any quests? It sounds like they come with optional items to complete class trait quests, but if you didn't use those and strictly used the level boost, nothing else, is any content locked for you?

The old valar boost gave you tome items you clicked on to auto-complete those quests, but then you couldn't do them. In the stream summary I saw the dev said they're planning this one to just give you trait points, then you can go do those quests if you want to.

This new 120 boost is a good idea, but the pricing is just bad and it'll be 6500? or 6700 points in the store. They're letting raiders and addicts make more super alts but it's not a good strategy for bringing more casual players back, unless casual players are known to toss 70 bucks at the store for a character boost.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Arguably level boosts are horrible for new players anyway since skipping the 1-120 content is skipping 98% of the game.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/announcing-new-crafting-carry-alls-our-ultimate-fan-and-collectors-editions

Looks similar to the crafting bag option from ESO sub, just locked behind a $80 or $130 expansion purchase. Sales must have been poor for them to add these as incentives.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Is playing a damage focused minstrel a painful slog? This game looks fun but none of the class archetypes really jive with me on paper.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Ort posted:

Is playing a damage focused minstrel a painful slog? This game looks fun but none of the class archetypes really jive with me on paper.

A dps Mini is the exact opposite of a painful slog. They do high burst dps while rocking the gently caress out on a lute, bagpipe, drum, etc.

Roll a few different classes to see if any one in particular catches you. Level 20 usually gives you a good indication about what a class plays like long term.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 15, 2019

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Brave New World posted:

A dps Mini is the exact opposite of a painful slog. They do high burst dps while rocking the gently caress out on a lute, bagpipe, drum, etc.

Roll a few different classes to see if any one in particular catches you. Level 20 usually gives you a good indication about what a class plays like long term.

Ok cool, captain also looks kind of nifty so I will try both.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
Just reinstalled after 10 years absence. I had to pick a server and I chose Brandywine before realizing I should check here first. Based on page 1 of this thread, the gewn presence is all on landroval?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Yes, but we're not super active. Though it is nice to play with goons when it happens, or get help with crafting or something. I personally just like the character of Landroval, with all the random player organized events you run into (there is always a concert in Bree). Even if you just pass them by without stopping it lends a certain charm, and the server's community is generally helpful and courteous.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Ort posted:

Ok cool, captain also looks kind of nifty so I will try both.

Minstrel just got a big decrease in dps im the lower levels, so leveling one is less fun than it used to be.

Captains are also hard to level initially, but they got a boost to their healing that makes them a lot more useful.

But yeah, play a few classes to get an idea of what you like doing, both solo and in groups.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
And then quickly realize the most fun classes are warden, RK, burglar, and loremaster. Dare I say, in that order.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Fall Festival is here and there's a new mount, here's a screenshot of it I lazily stole from the forums, 60 tokens

And here's a sale

Reclaim Middle-earth!
Get 20% off:
​Expansions and Expansion Quests
Enhanced XP Supply and Hornberg Tokens
Skirmishes and Instances
The 100% Mark Acquisition Boosts
Now through October 24th!

The store was down for maintenance and I haven't checked yet if it's back up, if not give it a day

extra stout fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 18, 2019

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I was cleaning out one of my drawers, and found a sealed copy of LotRO: Mines of Moria. Never had any interest in the game, and it was back when the game actually cost money to buy and play. Still had a reg code. I have no idea if those old codes still work to get you time-limited horse armor or anything, so I thought I'd just drop it here in case it does:
YXMRMQ4FXRNZK9NEPKPW2KE3P

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

I was cleaning out one of my drawers, and found a sealed copy of LotRO: Mines of Moria. Never had any interest in the game, and it was back when the game actually cost money to buy and play. Still had a reg code. I have no idea if those old codes still work to get you time-limited horse armor or anything, so I thought I'd just drop it here in case it does:
YXMRMQ4FXRNZK9NEPKPW2KE3P

Good on you for handing out the code! I've already paid for/used that specific release, so it doesn't apply to me. Here's to hoping a dedicated newbie gets it. :cheers:

The box may actually be worth something to someone somewhere. Check eBay, etc.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So the legendary server hubbub died down right? All goons are back to Landroval?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I randomly clicked on the thread again because hey I liked lotro before. Legendary servers sound neat. How's the game health these days? Sometimes I consider coming back because heck I just love me some lotr.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

dreffen posted:

So the legendary server hubbub died down right? All goons are back to Landroval?

We've got mostly casuals and lost some to the legendary servers, but I would imagine anyone goon or not with a 120 is going to be wanting to play the original servers once Minas Morgul comes out, which is now set for November 5th and I've updated the OP with a poor jpeg and a quote, and requested a mod to update the thread title

Tsurupettan posted:

I randomly clicked on the thread again because hey I liked lotro before. Legendary servers sound neat. How's the game health these days? Sometimes I consider coming back because heck I just love me some lotr.

I haven't been on the legendary servers since the first month or I'd answer this, but overall the games population is lower than before but still fine to enjoy all aspects of the game except maybe PVMP, which isn't on the legendary servers yet anyway

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 26, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'm actually just playing regular servers, the legendary server into game health comment was just kind of a weird non sequitur. I meant overall. Anyway I'm in discord playing casually while trying to decide what class to pick this time around.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Expansion summary: It's good so far, and that is pretty good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm considering playing this for some stupid reason, how viable is it for either f2p or one-time small purchase?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It's completely viable to play F2P until 32 or so. Someone else can fill you in on the current best purchase options from there.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm considering playing this for some stupid reason, how viable is it for either f2p or one-time small purchase?

I got the Quad Pack for cheap from here. It gets you the first four expansions as well as a free mount and unlocks the Warden class. It also makes your F2P account into Premium (or whatever it’s called), which unlocks some other QoL stuff like
more character slots.

You’ll probably need to buy at least one more quest pack to level high enough to do expansion content, but the F2P zones should get you to 30-something and if you keep doing Deeds (Achievements) in each zone you’ll earn LotRO-bucks to buy more content in the in-game store.

I think there’s also some additional features that you get as a subscriber and then get to keep even after your subscription expires but I’m not entirely sure what as I’ve never subscribed.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I also got the quad pack from there and watch out for Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals coming up.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Comrade Koba posted:

I think there’s also some additional features that you get as a subscriber and then get to keep even after your subscription expires but I’m not entirely sure what as I’ve never subscribed.

Stuff you keep after your subscription ends are per-character unlocks like trait & legendary slots that really aren't going to matter much if you just play a few characters to 30 or so to try the game out. I think it might also unlock fast travel locations without having to visit them first.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Stuff you keep after your subscription ends are per-character unlocks like trait & legendary slots that really aren't going to matter much if you just play a few characters to 30 or so to try the game out. I think it might also unlock fast travel locations without having to visit them first.

things that get unlocked with a 1 month VIP for all characters, forever (most of this also happens if you ever buy any points):
- "premium" account status
- all 5 inventory bags
- no more cap on gold
- ability to mail characters gold/items
- more character slots

things that get unlocked with a 1 month VIP for any character logged in during that month:
- all virtue slots
- all class trait slots
- ability to fast travel at stables
- ability to advance in crafting guild

things that get unlocked while VIP that you lose when VIP expires:
- access to all zones not otherwise gated by expansions (North Downs, Lothlorien, Great River, etc)
- 500 points/month grant
- rested XP
- ability to spend destiny points
- PvMP (for the 3 people that still play that)
- ability to list more than 5 items on AH

If you're going to level a new character, it's almost always worth it to spring for 1 month VIP; for $15 you get rest XP for lower levels, don't have to pay for unlocking things on your character or blowing a mithril token every time you want to go somewhere, and don't have to worry about unlocking quest packs. Getting into Moria by the end of that month is very doable (I started a new mordor-dorf when the expansion pack came out and am already over level 30)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 11, 2019

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really should try this game again. Have a lifetime sub and all :shobon:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The worst part about having a totally F2P account is not being able to fast travel anywhere outside of the starting locations. It’s not a huge deal at first because you’re not going to all that many places but the slow travel gets to be interminable eventually. Getting a sub for one month is worth it just to unlock that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Not sure if it still holds, but when I was leveling my first toon the consensus was to play free to 30ish, buy the steely dawn starter pack from a reseller for $5 which unlocks Evendim and some other perks, then when you hit 40 sub for a month for QoL unlocks and at 50 get the quad pack from cheap punk, then Helm's Deep, then Mordor with another sub between HD and Mordor to get your level up. This assumes you are poor. If you are not poor: play free until you clear a starter zone to make sure you don't hate the game, and then just sub right away and enjoy the perks, buying xpacs as relevant to your level/story progression/mood.

But either way don't sub until after Thanksgiving. There's this really stupid lockout where if you're subbed you can't buy quest packs (can still buy expansions) and black Friday is often when some really good sales on packs happen, and it's not worth missing the deals by being locked out.