Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
You can find a version that works with Windows 10 (and has videos that work) via google. I would post the link but I am not sure how :filez: it is. Terminal Reality and Gathering Of Developers are both deader than disco but I'll stay on the safe side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Permadeath in Song Of Horror :( I have to say I like this quite a bit more than some of the other throwback released (Daymare, ugh)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it the permadeath like in Obscure 1&2, on sale at Steam at the moment?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It is pretty much exactly like that, as far as I've seen in streams so far.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
it works basically like Obscure 1 where the characters are just your 'lives' while also having individual gameplay strengths and weaknesses. their inner monologues are also different and sometimes characters that 'ought' to know something will outright say it and give better clues to the player than a character who doesn't.

death spoiler:
in episode 2, for instance, Erica knows that her spider is poisonous and so will refuse to put her hand in its tank, whereas other characters are free to get themselves killed that way

there's been a few story/cutscene changes from experimenting with getting characters killed but nothing that changes the core narrative so far. it's not quite the consequential permadeath i was hoping for, but it's better than the "your interchangeable avatar with generic dialogue lines is dead oh no" from ZombiU or State of Decay

also the game saves who lived (and was played) at the end of each episode, so you can easily go back and redo individual episodes if someone you like dies during it.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I finally finished my tour of the post-4 Silent Hill games. They're just so weird to talk about, and it's hard to take them on their own merits because there's all these expectations set up by the franchise.

None of them really succeed as horror games; they aren't scary. They might be creepy to someone new to the franchise, but there still aren't any scares, and relatively little tension in any of them apart from clumsy forced chase sequences.

And none of them succeed as SH games because there's nothing new or interesting to add to the narrative, and the atmosphere and style that made the first games so great is still great--but it's been done 8 times now, so it's no longer enough.

Shattered memories was creative and did some things well, but the chase sequences really killed it for me. Honestly, it might have made an excellent zero-threat walking simulator.

Origins did a good job recapturing the SH2 gameplay and feel, but the gameplay wasn't what made SH2 good. The story didn't feel necessary. The whole game didn't feel necessary.

Downpour had good intentions, but it didn't come together. The chase bits, the missed opportunities--it could've been really good, maybe on the level of a real SH game with a more developed script and some more time in the oven.

Homecoming probably did the best job overall of combining the various SH elements into a complete package, but the cult stuff was never *that* cool, and certainly not post-SH3.

I'm sure there's a way to do a new Silent Hill game that is also good, but none of these guys ever figured it out. None of these were terrible games, just like Die Hard 4 wasn't a terrible movie, but franchise expectations are a hell of a drug. Origins and Homecoming never had a chance; the cult stuff needed to end with 3. Shattered Memories and Downpour probably could've been really good in the right hands.

I'm sure a direct to streaming SH series will be announced any day now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd love to see an Amnesia-style Silent Hill game, with more interaction than PT got. Basically Shattered Memories, but with genuinely spooky parts and monsters that are extremely tough to fight (I guess that's more like Alien, but anyway). Shatmemz was decent fun except when you had to run through a mazelike world that couldn't take even a second to look at because you were always being chased.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Shattered Memories' greatest problem were, I think, not really the chase scenes, it was that while it had a conceptually interesting gimmick, it's just not one that really works all that well in practice. The whole conceit that the game psychoanalyzes you, that sounds great on paper, but it's a whole lot less neat once you realize that it effectively punishes you for curiosity and choosing to actually examine the environment.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, it's still a Silent Hill game and like all Silent Hill games, it thrives on making you look at every single random object in a room in the hopes that it's the key or a hint towards a later or current puzzle. When that leads to the game suddenly starts assigning you a character background of alcoholism and domestic abuse or whatever, simply because those are the tagged objects that are most prevalent in the game so far, then the game concepts clash into each other in a decidedly negative way. The need to go over the game with a fine-toothed comb and the players' desires not to in order to get their desired ending just didn't mesh.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I agree that the analysis didn't work. What did work about it for me was the overall mood bath, which in the absence of monsters was somehow stronger than in some of the other games--only to get shaken out of that periodically by the chases.

I appreciate that there was at least some creativity and risk-taking in what they tried. It was the absence of even the desire for something fresh that really hurt Origins for me.

I still like the franchise, and I can find some lens through which to appreciate every entry. I guess I'll join the legion of people saying that Silent Hills probably would've been the real step forward that the IP needs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok but what are your thoughts on silent hill arcade

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I really liked exploring the snowy cabin area in ShatMemz and slowly piercing together what happened there with the audio logs

It wasnt particularly scary but it sure was exciting

e: I do love walking simulators and am a real life snoop so

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok but what are your thoughts on silent hill arcade

And the book of memories. :colbert:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Shattered Memories' greatest problem were, I think, not really the chase scenes, it was that while it had a conceptually interesting gimmick, it's just not one that really works all that well in practice. The whole conceit that the game psychoanalyzes you, that sounds great on paper, but it's a whole lot less neat once you realize that it effectively punishes you for curiosity and choosing to actually examine the environment.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, it's still a Silent Hill game and like all Silent Hill games, it thrives on making you look at every single random object in a room in the hopes that it's the key or a hint towards a later or current puzzle. When that leads to the game suddenly starts assigning you a character background of alcoholism and domestic abuse or whatever, simply because those are the tagged objects that are most prevalent in the game so far, then the game concepts clash into each other in a decidedly negative way. The need to go over the game with a fine-toothed comb and the players' desires not to in order to get their desired ending just didn't mesh.

I've said it before (maybe even in this very thread), but Shattered Memories was a janky proof-of-concept for what could have been a really great game built on lessons learned. I'm sure modern tech could also add more to the whole adventure.

On the subject, are there any other games where the creepy otherworld is supernaturally cold rather than fleshy? Those transitions really stuck in my head more than anything else in the game, possibly because "getting trapped in a blizzard" is a way more real and immediate fear than "getting transported to Lusst'ghaa again."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I am so incredibly tired of flesh masses in horror. They never even use truly horrific flesh motifs either, like gangrenous meat and gristle, or weird purple/yellows for bruised flesh. Just the same old pink and red clean meat spitting blood all over.

I’d love to see more hot and cold in horror. And by hot, I don’t mean fire and lava. I want to see summer and tropic motifs, drowning in your own delirious sweat from ultimate humidity, and the sun treated like some hateful deity.

Same with storms... ok really I think what I’m after is climate change horror and superweather as an antagonist.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually work with a guy who did work on shattered memories. Honestly I think the game gets more hate than it deserves. Probably because its a silent hill game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Shattered Memories fuckin owned

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My friend went to a convention in Las Vegas for the gambling industry, sent back pictures, one of which was a Silent Hill (3, if I remember right)-themed slot machine.

So, that's where the franchise is now I guess.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its been there for a while now

but can you really say its worse than the alternative?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You know, yes, I think I can.

But yeah, Shattered Memories wasn't really a terrible game, it just... wasn't a good one. People really wanted a great Silent Hill game again and the devs made a lot of promises they just couldn't live up to in the end. That's what really made the difference, I guess. By the later games, most people had already lowered their expectations and nobody except the hardcore fans really cared that much anymore.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Shattered Memories was the usual of a great idea that had poor execution. It was still really novel for Silent Hill.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
One of my favorite memories from grad school was a bunch of psychology and behavior analysis students getting together and playing Shattered Memories together over some beers. It probably wasn't as atmospheric as playing by yourself in the dark, but I don't care.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I've said it before (maybe even in this very thread), but Shattered Memories was a janky proof-of-concept for what could have been a really great game built on lessons learned. I'm sure modern tech could also add more to the whole adventure.

On the subject, are there any other games where the creepy otherworld is supernaturally cold rather than fleshy? Those transitions really stuck in my head more than anything else in the game, possibly because "getting trapped in a blizzard" is a way more real and immediate fear than "getting transported to Lusst'ghaa again."

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason (not sure if I'm remembering the title right) -- not an otherworld exactly, but it had narrative transitions and the cold was a big deal and pretty oppressive and well-realized.

The game itself was a mixed bag, but deserved a lot of credit for trying.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Bogart posted:

And the book of memories. :colbert:

I don't think I'm going to put myself through that

I'm doing obscure now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Danknificent posted:

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason (not sure if I'm remembering the title right) -- not an otherworld exactly, but it had narrative transitions and the cold was a big deal and pretty oppressive and well-realized.

The game itself was a mixed bag, but deserved a lot of credit for trying.

cryostasis was fantastic and extremely russian

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

cryostasis was fantastic and extremely russian

The extreme russianness was what i liked about it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cryostasis didn't have the best gameplay, but the ice/fluid simulation was some of the best I've ever seen even now and the concept was pretty drat strong.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Cardiovorax posted:

You know, yes, I think I can.

But yeah, Shattered Memories wasn't really a terrible game, it just... wasn't a good one. People really wanted a great Silent Hill game again and the devs made a lot of promises they just couldn't live up to in the end. That's what really made the difference, I guess. By the later games, most people had already lowered their expectations and nobody except the hardcore fans really cared that much anymore.

Konami gave the developers less than a year to build the entire game. I don't think it would have ever lived up to what was pitched, but it could have been a lot better if it wasn't crammed into such a tight schedule.

Also Sam Barlow was frustratingly resistant to feedback, so as long as he was involved there was a hard limit on what the game could be.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Black August posted:

Same with storms... ok really I think what I’m after is climate change horror and superweather as an antagonist.

Some of STALKER's emission are properly freaky, and really effective for Ukrainian jankpgs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fXPxR3biFg

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

Konami gave the developers less than a year to build the entire game. I don't think it would have ever lived up to what was pitched, but it could have been a lot better if it wasn't crammed into such a tight schedule.
I was not aware of that, but it really explains a lot about why so much of it felt so vaguely empty. For an under-a-year project, I am now I quite impressed with how much they did manage to make work.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

Also Sam Barlow was frustratingly resistant to feedback, so as long as he was involved there was a hard limit on what the game could be.

I feel like Konami feedback would be "more metal, more pyramid head, more sexy nurses, more all the things people think Silent Hill should be."

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Cardiovorax posted:

I was not aware of that, but it really explains a lot about why so much of it felt so vaguely empty. For an under-a-year project, I am now I quite impressed with how much they did manage to make work.

Origins was even more insane, Climax basically had the game halfway done but it was this weird RE4 action satire thing and when Konami realized what they were doing, they ordered the whole thing re-done in like eight months. I guess when Climax came back with the pitch for Shattered Memories, Konami went "Great, and we know how fast you can make it, too!"

al-azad posted:

I feel like Konami feedback would be "more metal, more pyramid head, more sexy nurses, more all the things people think Silent Hill should be."

Konami was an absolute garbage company to work for but with Shattered Memories at least they ultimately let Climax do whatever they wanted. Their MO seemed to be to write really bad contracts and then make the developers and producers scramble to work with the shoestring budgets and schedules. Origins was re-done because it was turning into something that didn't even resemble Silent Hill but with Shattered Memories, there was no pressure that could be summoned for things like "hey this isn't scary" or "hey the psych system doesn't really work".

Before I left I did get to hear a producer pitch the germ of Downpour's structure, which he wanted to be (and this is a quote) "GTA in Silent Hill", so it's not like they were short on bad ideas either.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

Really annoys me that Pyramid Head, a manifestation of James' guilt, was turned into some sort of permanent resident of Silent Hill, like he just hangs out and trudges back and forth all day. Same with the sexy nurses. Why are there sexy nurses in Silent Hill even when James and his sexual nature isn't there? Who knows, tits!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
hunchback fetus nurses from 1 were always way scarier than sexy bubble head nurses from 2

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We’ve got all these dumb masks and nurse costumes, and dammit we’ll find a way to jam them into torture of the unsuspecting individuals here!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Due to the whole new take on Silent Hill as a personal purgatory, Silent Hill 2 has a lot of vaguely uncomfortable sexual themes going and the sexy nurses were really just sticking to the concept there, so I don't hold it against the game. I hold it against any game that followed because they didn't make actual sense anymore in those.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Too Shy Guy posted:

Before I left I did get to hear a producer pitch the germ of Downpour's structure, which he wanted to be (and this is a quote) "GTA in Silent Hill", so it's not like they were short on bad ideas either.

I feel like GTA Silent Hill could make for an amazing concept for Silent Hill reacting to a different kind of pathology than James' Guilt, but also I know that that wouldn't be what they were going for and it would've turned out like a bad version of Deadly Premonition.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Got the Fear franchise on sale for some light spoops.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

GTA Silent Hill would ideally feature a tycoon ending up in a small town his industry has driven into disease, pollution, and poverty, but with no money, no ID, and suddenly black.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

How to do GTA Silent Hill - you start in a section of a city. The city has a starting default state. The state of the city can and will change, by either your action, INaction, or outside forces. Outside forces will be the slow march of capitalist and fascist ideology, slowly destroying rights, bringing horror to minorities, stressing the population with huge work loads for barely enough money to survive, police forces becoming openly murderous, and so forth.

Your action can stop this slow tide, to change the city into something better. Or you can indulge in your own agency that the town gives you in the meta - your actions will majorly drive the town down the capitalist/fascist path, OR a different path of horror, culminating in an actual waking nightmare (full Silent Hill). So you can accelerate what will already happen, or try to mitigate it as much as possible, or drag the city towards something like cultist behavior.

Either way, your protagonist has GTA-like exemptions, somehow. You can murder freely, but get no more than a fine and a day at the station. You can cause horrific death, and people will react more and more mildly as the town worsens, until you're weird for NOT indulging in casual atrocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

tight aspirations posted:

Some of STALKER's emission are properly freaky, and really effective for Ukrainian jankpgs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fXPxR3biFg

Yeah. I've always been ambivalent towards Stalker, but I am all the gently caress over its blowout stuff.