Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Do Brits say car hole or car hold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's actually a Batcave.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's good to take your car when it's new to the car park so it can learn to socialize with other cars early.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Le stationnement!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

you broke my grill posted:

Do Brits say car hole or car hold?

They call it a car hole

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

supernatural blonde posted:

I'm sorry to be terribly british here but absolutely nothing in this post makes sense to me? Brits always say "supposed to" and never "meant to"

Wrong. Those are different phrases.
"supposed to" is future tense. "supposed" is future tense.
"meant to" is past tense. "meant" is past tense of "mean".
However they are freely interchangable.

Stack Exchange

Also this quote from Wordref forums:

quote:

I often use "meant to be" for emotional incidences, so to speak. "Meant to" is usually used to express an innate feeling that is born when one thinks they ought to have/get/be something. E.g. "I was meant to be your wife." "We were meant to be together." "I was meant to be a chef!"

"Supposed to" engages less feelings. It is more matter-of-fact.
I was supposed to attend the meeting, but I had to run my wife to the hospital.

and "spinner"? idk. "car ports" are not common and usually consist of a sheet of corrugated plastic on top of a wood frame built by an old person who doesn't have a garage.

I live in a terraced area and that would still be called a shed or a garage. Is "car port" some kind of Zoomerism or something?

I have never heard of Spinners either.

I have no idea what you're trying to convey here. :shrug:

Nor I you!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

alexandriao posted:

I live in a terraced area and that would still be called a shed or a garage. Is "car port" some kind of Zoomerism or something?

If you told your insurance agent or realtor that you had a garage and it was actually a car port, they would not be happy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think of car ports as a southern thing for whatever reason.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They would probably collapse under snow. We have tons of carports in the non-snow parts of California.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

My grandfather (b.1927) had a car port in southern West Virginia, and snow wasn't a problem.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I didn't mean to do this

I feel like someone well intentioned if a little selfish who tried to do something he thought would be innocuous but turned into a giant cluster

I just have no idea what to do with these tossed salads and scrambled eggs

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Cheers just reminded me that canonically Frasier is married to Lilith, again, at the moment of his death

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Cheers just reminded me that canonically Frasier is married to Lilith, again, at the moment of his death

Some dark pact Lilith invoked, no doubt

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

alexandriao posted:

Maybe that was meant to be “spanner”, a British word for a wrench?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

HiriseSoftware posted:

Yes this

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

That drat bar.

edit:
Also Niles and Daphne's kid should have been named Ichabod, but I think that was just an application.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

That drat bar.

edit:
Also Niles and Daphne's kid should have been named Ichabod, but I think that was just an application.

At least it's not Jonathan.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least it's not Jonathan.

Great name for a cat.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Calaveron posted:

I'm going to need more info on this please.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Quite common in Australia although I've only ever seen it spelt as one word.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

alexandriao posted:

Wrong. Those are different phrases.
"supposed to" is future tense. "supposed" is future tense.
"meant to" is past tense. "meant" is past tense of "mean".
However they are freely interchangable.

Stack Exchange

Also this quote from Wordref forums:

Nor I you!

I KNOW they're different phrases but brits almost always say "supposed to". A car port is simply a roof on top of a frame to keep the rain off, a shed or garage is a building with a door. We appear to speak different languages!

Anyhow this has gently caress all to do with Frasier so I'm going back to posting about that. This morning's episode was the ski lodge with Guy (Ghee!) - not one of my absolute favourites but a classic farce that feels like a stage play.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

HiriseSoftware posted:

That must be it. It's also often used as an insult to refer to a stupid person ie: "you loving spanner!".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I KNOW they're different phrases but brits almost always say "supposed to". A car port is simply a roof on top of a frame to keep the rain off, a shed or garage is a building with a door. We appear to speak different languages!

Anyhow this has gently caress all to do with Frasier so I'm going back to posting about that. This morning's episode was the ski lodge with Guy (Ghee!) - not one of my absolute favourites but a classic farce that feels like a stage play.

I've mentioned that the ski lodge is totally a modification of Niles' apartment. (though I think that came later)

That must be it. It's also often used as an insult to refer to a stupid person ie: "you loving spanner!".

And I'm pretty sure it became an insult solely because it's fun to say.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'm going to need more info on this please.

An episode ends with a flash forward gag where Lilith and Freddie are being read Frasier's will and it's specified they were still married

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Frasier Files: Fight The Future

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

If you told your insurance agent or realtor that you had a garage and it was actually a car port, they would not be happy

Definitely a boomer because literally nobody these days can afford to do anything but renting, and who has the money for house insurance.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah no that's blatantly not the case.
And here even people with garages just let their cars get wet. Who the gently caress is middle class enough to bother building something to make sure their car stays dry? Why would you want your car to stay dry? I have so many questions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

alexandriao posted:

And here even people with garages just let their cars get wet. Who the gently caress is middle class enough to bother building something to make sure their car stays dry? Why would you want your car to stay dry? I have so many questions.

They also keep birds from making GBS threads on your car and bits of trees from falling on it. They're pretty common in Australia, which has lots of birds and no snow outside a small handful of locations. We have what you might call a semi-garage which has automatic doors and a roof but is open on the inside of the property.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

alexandriao posted:

Definitely a boomer because literally nobody these days can afford to do anything but renting, and who has the money for house insurance.

This isn't true once you leave the coasts

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

alexandriao posted:

Where is "here"

Does "here" get snow? Or massive plastics and paint-killing sun?

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
If you want to hear an alternative Frasier reboot setup, check out the podcast StoryBreak, where some hollywood writers spend an hour each episode drafting the plot points for various unrelated script ideas.

The podcast is often pretty good, but they really nailed the ethos of Frasier, I think: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6tiEEBzYSTUoPZW41qdjQO?si=FUSjKswsQ-6vSBJworcIGg

2 of the people on the podcast are actually goons; they even have a Johnny 5 Aces script: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0X3RBthUyBmVyCtX2qmoyY?si=Hkxb6NN9QRS6XSxvH219kw

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

alexandriao posted:

Yes it is definitely the case, you're just talking out of your arse now. Are you 16 years old or something? Are you even British?

Lastly vis-a-vis wet cars, have you ever heard of rust?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A home? For your car? On your own home for you?! What is this boomer poo poo?!?!?!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
IDK why someone used rain as an example. If it's raining a garage/port might be helpful so that you don't get wet, at least not immediately, especially if it's attached. But it's way more important for protecting against trees, hail, or various other weather type things. Of course, more commonly it's where you keep a bunch of folding tables or whatever.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

A home? For your car? On your own home for you?! What is this boomer poo poo?!?!?!

Look at mr rich boomer gently caress here with his car

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

JK Fresco posted:

This isn't true once you leave the coasts

I'm inland.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yes it is definitely the case, you're just talking out of your arse now. Are you 16 years old or something? Are you even British?

E: My ethnologue stuff and frequency databases are on my pc and I'm on my phone, so like. Here have this as a preliminary before I can compile more data.

Also yes it is 4am

Anyway has anyone seen the episode with the woman who played Diane Lockheart in The Good Wife? She didn't disappoint but I wish they could have toned down her character and kept her on longer, I think the dynamic would have been less irritating and could have become a major thing. They probably didn't have the :10bux: for that tho

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 12, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

IDK why someone used rain as an example. If it's raining a garage/port might be helpful so that you don't get wet, at least not immediately, especially if it's attached. But it's way more important for protecting against trees, hail, or various other weather type things. Of course, more commonly it's where you keep a bunch of folding tables or whatever.

Yeah like I know (older) people with garages and BMWs and even they don't bother to put their car in or out, it lives on the street and the garage is where they put all of their hobby crap. I mean hell there's a really busy road a bit down the mountain and it's got everyone's car along it so most drivers get nervous about hitting a parked car or a kid dashing out. Literally nobody has bothered to make a car shed tho, the first I've heard of this.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jesus dude carports are a thing all across the US, you're being really weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Carports are definitely cheaper than garages too and if you've ever rented an apartment with roofs over parking but no walls then you've parked in a carport.

The only thing that surprised me was that there was a word for it.