Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
I can see it now-

Undead Duane, wrapping up the story- ...so your god is blinded, crippled, and without her armor, deep below a mine between two enemy countries that both have good reason to end her- but I'm MORE OR LESS SURE she's fine! :pseudo:

Grandma Ruffles- :mad:

Duane- Now tell me about the boob bird lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Now I hope granny lizard has a tittybird story that makes Duane's story look tame in comparison. :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thank goodness Duane didn't kill the lizards' god

And thank goodness Duane didn't admit to doing so in front of a bunch of them

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She's not so crippled she can't walk away, since she's moving on and on, on and on and on. And she can regenerate the damage.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
pretty sure the story got away from Duane.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Hey now, Duane showed more restraint and mercy than the salt lizard did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

quote:

tangled-zans asked: "Bikini wax but core leeching the hair off." I'm now wondering what other mundane things could be improved using the khert. Cooking?

For sure. I’ve always enjoyed the idea of a pymaric that can assign the most delicious textures and flavours to any food you put it on. Imagine sprinkling spell-filled First Salt onto your kale and it makes the whole salad taste like the most delicious potato chips.

This would probably be the most useful aspect of First Salt. It’s edible, so you could use it to alter food safely. You wouldn’t want to do the same thing with First Sand or Earth or Silk.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
A giant interesting answer off the Tumblr, which I will spoil as it contains a lot of clues about Duane's condition:

https://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/188684559485/is-the-khert-really-timeless

Lady Ilganyag explains it very well on 13_123>>

“When I came to the khert I thought it would be like the First World: WITHOUT time. Instead ALL time is here.” She compares time in the khert to an ocean, and time in the exterior/second world to a river. The latter flows in a single direction; the former’s currents carry it in all directions.

The khert is everything that has been, is, or will be. It’s the Library of Kasslyne. It’s the source code of Reality.

But it’s not indexed. The books have all come apart. All the pages are unbound and mixed up.

There are lots of examples of this, but it’s probably most evident when Duane sees himself and Sette running around from (his perspective) a few nights earlier. It’s evident in Lady Ilganyag’s nest of collected relics that we KNOW she cannot possibly have because they all exist at present in the possession of our cast, like Chitz.

There is some trippy stuff at play for sure. But if we consider that some (living/undead) people are able to function inside the khert in a sane and rational manner, time must be relative to a whole soul. Logical, advancing time must cling like a bubble of air to these deep divers; it must form a a fragile but powerful surface tension between the khert’s irrational chaos and their own timebound identity. Duane, for instance, can enter the khert at sunset and experience a “night” in the khert that progresses logically from beginning to end, so his existence must be an anchor for that particular night’s worth of time.

A random person dying and entering the khert isn’t able to exist as this kind of anchor. Their mind flies apart. Their rational self is obliterated by the crushing ocean of All Time.

So! What does this tell us?

Perhaps it hints that Duane’s real power is not that he’s able to puppet his stinking corpse around during the day and yell his opinions about other peoples’ gods; his real power is that he’s able to traipse around the khert at night as a sane, whole soul impervious to the destruction of that realm’s irrational, chaotic environment.

Duane’s undead body is meaningless. It’s his undead soul that truly marks him. He’s not a plod; not a zombie. He’s galit.

And there is a reason. There is a crucial mechanic that allows these people to walk the khert as they do.

Maybe you could guess it! But I ain’t gonna tell it to you, and don’t ask me ‘cause I will ignore you :)

It carries the strong implication that Duane's immortality design wasn't to bind him to his rotting body, but to keep his soul together while he's in the khert, with his inhabiting his body being a sort of unfortunate side effect.

It also makes Bastion's snide line about "so he's a maggoty mess, so what" more clear, because Bastion's goal wasn't the immortality of Duane's body at all. Which I think carries the implication that souls might somehow count as First Materials? I can't imagine any pymaric theory that would support this entire situation besides a soul being a First Material in its own right.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 30, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Three pages today. Hello, Magnus. And others.

They remembered the "Always aim for skin" lesson well, it seems. Good boys. Also terrifying boys. And apparently they put the Khert fire out and thus both saved Duane and others' lives and sent everything into chaos down there.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

A giant interesting answer off the Tumblr, which I will spoil as it contains a lot of clues about Duane's condition:

This and the recent posts about a different spoiler-y thing have me thinking that what I previously thought was a not-very likely theory I have is actually a lot more likely than I was giving it credit for, though I think I'll wait until it comes up in-comic to post details. Don't have the time for a longer post right now anyway.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 4, 2019

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Cope you coward kill those children!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Chair In A Basket posted:

:hmmyes:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chair In A Basket posted:

they flayed a guy, the horror quotient is acceptable

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that this has been established as a really good memory of Duane's overall, before the clarity of death forced him to remember all the parts he suppressed, the non-Jon kids all surviving should have been pretty obvious, really; rationalizing Jon's death was one thing, but just glossing over, say, Magnus dying? I don't think Duane would have been able to do that.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

You're definitely right about that, because one of the things that helps Duane be a good main character even though he's riddled with objectively awful personality traits (sexist, bigoted against Crescians, nationalistic to a fault, more than a little selfish, absolutely terrible at understanding other people's feelings) is that he loves kids and wants to defend them, no matter what. If any of the children on the plat squad had died he'd never have made a heroic narrative out of it. He's too fundamentally A Dad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He's even protective of Crescian kids, from what we've seen; one of the reasons he hates Cresce so much is explicitly because they practice child cannibalism, and he was incensed at the thought the shrine might beat its charges. He also got super upset at an enemy commander in the civil war (and himself) for endangering his own plats.

Duane's fatherly instinct knows no bounds, nor race, creed, or nation.

On a related note, I was clicking around looking for a certain page when I clicked one of the crossed-out links during the cursed scene and got redirected to this page. Cope really knows how to use the medium.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Claggart

Claggowns

:3:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Bad Seafood posted:

He's even protective of Crescian kids, from what we've seen; one of the reasons he hates Cresce so much is explicitly because they practice child cannibalism, and he was incensed at the thought the shrine might beat its charges. He also got super upset at an enemy commander in the civil war (and himself) for endangering his own plats.

Duane's fatherly instinct knows no bounds, nor race, creed, or nation.

On a related note, I was clicking around looking for a certain page when I clicked one of the crossed-out links during the cursed scene and got redirected to this page. Cope really knows how to use the medium.
Although he glosses over the fact that many Alds also practice child cannibalism. Most people in this setting are gefendur and even in Alderode, there is a risk that Ssaelit twins will be kidnapped and sold to temples in other countries, although presumably if they ended up in an Aldish temple there'd be legal avenues to correct that. Furthermore, Crescian laws don't allow twins to be sacrificed that are younger than 20, so it's actually not child cannibalism, just regular old sacrificial cannibalism.

We've mostly been shown the cannibalism as a Crescian practice, because the temple the story has taken us to is one in Cresce, but it's a practice that happens pretty much everywhere and in some places a twin going 'hey I don't want this' wouldn't result in their freedom but also harsh social stigma, it just wouldn't result in their freedom. The use of plods as labor is also another situation where it's definitely a reason Duane hates Cresce, but it also happens many many places. At least in that case it sounds like it was explicitly developed and used in Cresce first by the Black Tongues?

EDIT: I really like the detail that Sette, while a practicing Gefendur who plays it up to annoy Duane, is uncomfortable in the temple. Much as she might deny it, she's got too much empathy to be able to brush off walking through a place where half of all the kids she sees are going to be sacrificed and eaten, even if she'll also steal all the utensils.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 11, 2019

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I thought I'd read somewhere twin cannibalism was banned in Alderode (along with plod labor) as a courtesy to the Ssaelit, but I couldn't find mention of it in the wiki and don't have the time to dive into the formspring so maybe not. In either case, I could believe it still goes on (in secret or otherwise), and do recall reading about Ssaelit children being kidnapped and sold to (foreign?) temples.

And yeah, they're allowed to reach adulthood, but I don't think raising someone specifically to slaughter and eat them garners much of distinction from Duane. If anything, it probably makes him feel worse: raising a child from infancy just to kill it.

Another possibility that occurred to me while typing this: he's obviously not a fan of the Gefendur faith regardless of where or how its practiced, but social conditioning probably means he won't come down too harshly on his fellow Aldishmen. Cresce is an enemy, however, and fair game for condemnation since they're gonna hate each other anyway. It's not a mindset without historical precedent in the real world. It is often easier to judge others for the sins we share simply because they're not us.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Duane, for all his many really good qualities, is real fuckin' prejudiced about everything Crescian. Which makes sense, he's only human. Well, mostly/formerly human.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Another of Duane's good qualities is the face he's pulling in this update.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Another of Duane's good qualities is the face he's pulling in this update.
Truly, much was lost when he died.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

I thought I'd read somewhere twin cannibalism was banned in Alderode (along with plod labor) as a courtesy to the Ssaelit, but I couldn't find mention of it in the wiki and don't have the time to dive into the formspring so maybe not. In either case, I could believe it still goes on (in secret or otherwise), and do recall reading about Ssaelit children being kidnapped and sold to (foreign?) temples.

And yeah, they're allowed to reach adulthood, but I don't think raising someone specifically to slaughter and eat them garners much of distinction from Duane. If anything, it probably makes him feel worse: raising a child from infancy just to kill it.

Another possibility that occurred to me while typing this: he's obviously not a fan of the Gefendur faith regardless of where or how its practiced, but social conditioning probably means he won't come down too harshly on his fellow Aldishmen. Cresce is an enemy, however, and fair game for condemnation since they're gonna hate each other anyway. It's not a mindset without historical precedent in the real world. It is often easier to judge others for the sins we share simply because they're not us.

Nope, Matty references the fact that the Aldish Gefendur still do it. http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_07.html
But it sounds like they do it on a smaller scale than the Crescians. The Ssaelit don't allow their twins to be taken for sacrifice, which is another point of disagreement between the Aldish religions, because for the Gefendur it's blasphemous not to sacrifice twins.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Nope, Matty references the fact that the Aldish Gefendur still do it. http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_07.html
But it sounds like they do it on a smaller scale than the Crescians. The Ssaelit don't allow their twins to be taken for sacrifice, which is another point of disagreement between the Aldish religions, because for the Gefendur it's blasphemous not to sacrifice twins.
A really fun detail is I'm pretty sure the Gefendur religion only counts identical twins as twins for the purpose of ritual and sacrifice. Which is funny because Yerta and Gef sure aren't identical, and neither are Tirna and Baelor, but the sacrifice is supposed to mimic Tirna's exile in order to appease her I guess?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Huh, well then. I was wrong.

Carry on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cresce is a hegemonic power opposed to duanes homeland. sure, duane could spend his time and energy hating their client states, but thats kind of like a soviet sparing time out of the day to hate idk belgium

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tollymain posted:

cresce is a hegemonic power opposed to duanes homeland. sure, duane could spend his time and energy hating their client states, but thats kind of like a soviet sparing time out of the day to hate idk belgium
Yeah and to be perfectly fair, watching his young daughter get brutally and violently murdered by agents of cresce before also being killed and then having his mind bound to his rotting body while at night he relives his worst memories probably does a lot to fuel his personal hatred for Cresce.

Like it's not like he spent his entire life in an Aldish city and had no direct contact with anyone from Cresce, he saw some pretty lovely stuff in his time as a soldier and then, you know, Mikaela died. Random Crescian citizens have p much jack to do with that, but when he's forced to deal with random Crescian citizens he's not exactly homicidal, just rude and preachy. And he's as protective of Crescian kids as any other kids.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 12, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tollymain posted:

goddamn waffle-capitalists, muscling in on the potato market to addict us to their products

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FOI-HELLICK PTOO

claggart's facial expressions are still super-great, I hope we get to meet him again in book two

or maybe I don't, maybe I want him to stay offscreen and have better survival odds

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch14/ch14_125.html

It's good to know that with some distance and time, the non-blond Alds (somewhat) came to their senses and aren't holding a huge grudge with Duane and Lem because they were immune to the curse against Roger and didn't have the insane rage everyone else did.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How the bloody hell does one spell sh... shay... sigin?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Poor Lem :(

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
real talk though I like claggart just... visually. Hes clearly into his vices and its the little touches, like the fact he smokes tobacco cut with chilli flakes to get any effect out of it (cutting drugs with chilli so they cut up the membranes and get you higher is a thing iirc). Hes fat. He's fat because he probably needs the endorphins of a good fuckin' bite and if hes going to spend a hundred years in this prison of a body hes gonna wreck that poo poo, because he is non stop sorting through poo poo for his beloved country and has been at it for a hundred years. He's I'd hazard to say a very real and very good dude in a lovely lovely world.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 17, 2019

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I already miss him

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Good night sweet prince.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

real talk though I like claggart just... visually. Hes clearly into his vices and its the little touches, like the fact he smokes tobacco cut with chilli flakes to get any effect out of it (cutting drugs with chilli so they cut up the membranes and get you higher is a thing iirc). Hes fat. He's fat because he probably needs the endorphins of a good fuckin' bite and if hes going to spend a hundred years in this prison of a body hes gonna wreck that poo poo, because he is non stop sorting through poo poo for his beloved country and has been at it for a hundred years. He's I'd hazard to say a very real and very good dude in a lovely lovely world.

he also got his doggy one of the big bones from Lemuel's mutant piggy :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Couple new pages since last post, chapter's winding down.

quote:

Anonymous asked: How long did it take for Duane to make good on his promise and get his brother a Vliegeng after being appointed at the temple? Weeks, months, years,... and considering their father died somewhere between the rebellion and chapter 7, was he still alive to see both his sons at their dreamjobs?

It took Duane four years to get Lemuel a place in the Temple aeries, where they keep the vliegeng. Then Lem spent another two years scrubbing goat-snake teeth, polishing horns, snipping the fingers off newborns, shovelling their massive poops, repairing saddles and tackle, mucking out their bedding, and basically learning all the ins and outs of vliegeng. It was hard work but Lemuel was really happy. He wasn’t in the army anymore and he found the new work fascinating. He really loves vliegeng and everything about them.

The only horrible bit was the riders treated him like human garbage. No respect. And no one had any intention of ever giving him a vliegeng. He’d spend the rest of his life their servant, just like all the old Soud men around him who’d been trudging through poop and straw for fifty years.

But nope. Lemuel is just as persistent as his brother. When one of the vliegeng’s riders suddenly died of some sickness, Lemuel fouled every plan to put its mount down. Usually they have no choice, as vliegeng are notoriously difficult to train, bonding themselves to a single rider. Lemuel broke into the guy’s quarters, stole his bedding and a bunch of his clothes, then clad himself in all this and moved into the vliegeng’s nest for weeks. He was able to acclimate the brute to his smell, befriend it, and finally get up onto its head. Once he was able to guide her up north to the feeding grounds, they were BFFs. Imagine that first flight. It must have been terrifying.

That vliegeng was named Diva, and she’s Lemuel’s mount today. Lem’s the first and only Soud vliegeng rider, and though Duane may have opened the door for him, Lemuel did the hard bit himself.

Dad died right after Simon was born, so he for sure saw both his boys installed at the Temple. He was stupidly proud of both of them. Like, insufferable. If you had to come to his shop to pick up a print order you weren’t getting out of there in less than twenty minutes because Pa Adelier needed to tell you everything his boys were up to, and show you this crayon dog Mikaila had drawn on the back of some proofs, by Ssael, she’s so talented!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
No more pants when I'm god!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Straight White Shark posted:

No more pants when I'm god!

:same:

Mindblast