Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

yea ok posted:

It probably was in that sense, but I don't think he was talking about it in that way. Just felt like really odd pearl clutching from the same guy who argues with people about Will Ospreay every day.

Dave's gone after Will for not being safe before and he did comment that Hiromu's first match being Will might not be the best idea so it's not like he's given that a free pass!

Though yeah the forum bodying Dave for his comments is okay even if the only one I found out of left field was the 5x worse than Big Japan. I do think he's wrong about it leading to copy cat matches that are unsafe cause the match wasn't any unsafer than a normal top level match but I can see why he thinks that way and honestly expected that reaction given what he's written about the Foley Hell in a cell and other deathmatches.

I can also see his point of this match maybe not be appealing to new viewers, as that type of blood and action can certainly turn people off not used to wrestling (Though at the same time he contradicted that point earlier by saying the audience for Wrestling right now is all hard core fans which mostly seemed to love the match). I probably would of run this match probably after a few more months of TV after you built a new audience and gotten them used to the product myself but if the ratings and buy rate stay the same or grow than Dave will be more than proven wrong.

Though I do expect Vince and WWE will use this to drag AEW with sponsors. Heck I expect them to attack it the first live event they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I literally got told by some rube after commenting on Dave and Bryan's comments on the match (that I typically hate deathmatch stuff but loved this because of the story involved) that "they tried to tell a story but failed" and "don't call yourself a real fan if you don't care about your favorite wrestlers' safety."

I'd think it was a troll except there are a ton of people who seemingly actually believe this crap. I don't mind if people didn't like it (hell I don't want to see another lights out match for at least like a year involving any drat body) but the sanctimony about this poo poo really pisses me off, and that's where the WOL comments annoy me. Dave, more than almost anyone on the planet, should know better than that, and he got worked so hard it's incredible. Dude seriously questioned if it was real glass. Jesus Christ.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I found the Becky and Sasha Hell In The Cell match more dangerous/concerning than the Full Gear main event as that was a lot more of a controlled spectacle. For better or worse there was a fair degree of downtime between spots and things like that in Moxley/Omega. Becky and Sasha was go go go for 25 minutes with two wrestlers weighing nearly 100lbs less taking crazy bumps on their spines.

Also, I knew there was a lot of deathmatch/prop guys backstage to advise Moxley and Omega and source the weapons and adaptations they needed:

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1193635568338505735

If you don't know the man on the right is "Sick" Nick Mondo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Uh, if you guys are talking about that review that was linked earlier, that's not by Dave. Unless he changed his name to Arya Witner suddenly. Unrelated to that...

lmao I love this logic because they can never explain what it is that makes Smackdown and Raw mainstream.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rovert posted:

Also, I knew there was a lot of deathmatch/prop guys backstage to advise Moxley and Omega and source the weapons and adaptations they needed:

When Mox said he was "the sickest son of a bitch" in wrestling on Dynamite, I started secretly hoping for a Sick Nick Mondo appearance. Let them somehow find their way into The Match Beyond!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

want Mox to do a Piper's Family segment to set up his wargames team

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

rovert posted:

this is dope as gently caress

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Horrible feuds where people talk endlessly every week, have a dozen matches and declare they fight for the WWE Universe has broken people's brains.

But Justin was pretty dumb to begin with.

https://twitter.com/JustinLaBar/status/1193967117797855233

The first angle was in MAY.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

This is it. My favorite photo in wrestling history. Also, I need Nick's shirt.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

His main complaint seems to be that they can't instantly have a 2nd match because there is no way to escalate. Which, fair, you can't. But that's only a problem if you're looking WWE style where every feud is a best of 3. WWE has absolutely narrowed people on what they think wrestling is.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No one got stabbed or set on fire, it can go harder.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Next time we get light tube cabins and kenzans

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gumball Gumption posted:

His main complaint seems to be that they can't instantly have a 2nd match because there is no way to escalate. Which, fair, you can't. But that's only a problem if you're looking WWE style where every feud is a best of 3. WWE has absolutely narrowed people on what they think wrestling is.

Bryan went into this on Observer Live on Sunday, as almost all the calls he was getting on that show were theorycrafting how AEW could break the stip that Cody would never challenge for the title again. Because WWE has conditioned people to expect stips to be rule-lawyered around.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In Cody's case it should be broken eventually, but not for a long time.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

He won’t challenge for the title, but I guess a champion could goad/challenge him.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cody should win a tournament and be granted a title shot, because he's not challenging if he's earned it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gumball Gumption posted:

The logical escalation would be to have a normal Kenny match, which he wins, setting up the rubber match.

This could happen six months or a year or two from now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/talkbalks/status/1193510777820516354?s=19

It took me a while (and reading the replies) to figure out this guy was talking about Kenny Omega. How can you watch Kenny and consider him a technical wrestler at all, let alone the best on the planet?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

To some people "technical wrestler" just means "good and I like them"

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Some fans think that "technical" means good because mainstream wrestling has ignored technical wrestling for years. Even Daniel Bryan largely stopped doing technical wrestling to fit in to WWE.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

True but if you know of Kenny pre-AEW then you should at least know like ZSJ to know the difference. And the guy has Bob Backlund in his profile picture so he should definitely know better.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kenny Omega out-technical-wrestled Sabre in the G1, so clearly he is better. So is Sanada, now the presumed second best technical wrestler in the world.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Imagine thinking Kenny Omega absolutely had no say in this type of match/feud

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty drat sure that Cody diving onto the entrance ramp and eating poo poo was more legit dangerous than anything they did in Mox vs Kenny.

Also you don't even need to continue the Mox/Kenny feud right away. Like, just keep them separated for a while and then do another match when the craziness of this one has faded into memory. This isn't hard.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what the heck is going on... so many people are giving ideas lately and then saying how much of a stupid idiot you have to be to not understand. Please stop yelling at me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/talkbalks/status/1193510777820516354?s=19

It took me a while (and reading the replies) to figure out this guy was talking about Kenny Omega. How can you watch Kenny and consider him a technical wrestler at all, let alone the best on the planet?

Hechicero is getting booked in death matches.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Excuse you, kneeing your opponent in the face 30 times is a great technique.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

It is, but Kenny should probably train harder, as he seems to be bad at it and lose all the time. Maybe his pal Riho can teach him how to stomp people in the intestine and knee them to death.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
now i really want to see mox vs zsj lights out match

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

now i really want to see mox vs riho lights out match

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Riho vs Orange Cassidy in the first 8 star deathmatch

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

now i really want to see mox vs zsj lights out match

ZSJ pulls one of Mox's limbs off but then gets beaten to death with it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I'd say 'mox and zsj go to bjw' but since it's becoming a Big Trump Fundraiser satellite I'd rather they didn't

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean BJW has always been pretty fash. FREEDOMS is the politically good Japanese deathmatch company.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

History Comes Inside! posted:

ZSJ pulls one of Mox's limbs off but then gets beaten to death with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eaGm2gMMzk&t=490s

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

MJeff posted:

Just had a flashback to Mike Quackenbush being mad that Shawn Michaels once got more votes on Best Technical Wrestler than him

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kenny Omega is the modern day Shawn Michaels and it's not even close

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Venomous posted:

Kenny Omega is the modern day Shawn Michaels and it's not even close

He hasn't had a poo poo ladder match or poo poo iron man match though so he's better than Michaels.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

njsykora posted:

He hasn't had a poo poo ladder match or poo poo iron man match though so he's better than Michaels.

I haven't seen it but I hear the ladder match with Elgin was just okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nah it was pretty great really
Elgin and Omega have good chemistry