Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am digging this game a lot but I drat still suck rear end at assembling a good wand before I end up getting blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, I think my alchemic precursor is borked as *gently caress*
Seed 44933648.
It appears to be water, whiskey and gold.
I've turned most of the mines into gold dust and i'm vaguely scared. Sitting at $20k+ before the first holy mountain

Edit: okay, maybe it's not that. but something is making draught of midas super easily.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Ok, so not only is blindness some stupid bullshit, it's double bullshit that you can be blinded even when having the all-seeing eye effect. C'mon now.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Post poste posted:

Okay, I think my alchemic precursor is borked as *gently caress*
Seed 44933648.
It appears to be water, whiskey and gold.
I've turned most of the mines into gold dust and i'm vaguely scared. Sitting at $20k+ before the first holy mountain

Edit: okay, maybe it's not that. but something is making draught of midas super easily.

According to cheat gui, it's soil, water, and mud. No wonder. I used that seed mod and shared in the gold fun.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Greatest Living Man posted:

Currently no way to do it in the game unfortunately, but there's a program that works quite nicely:

https://github.com/RNG42/NoitaSeedChanger/releases

Quoting this so I can find it easily in the future; thanks!

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Ambaire posted:

According to cheat gui, it's soil, water, and mud. No wonder. I used that seed mod and shared in the gold fun.

Jesus. No wonder i turned the world to gold. Thanks.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Welp, finished the game after 40hrs and 120 deaths. Once I got hold of a homing exploding mist wand, it was only a matter of whether my processor can take all the explosions all the time.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Well this is a stroke of luck. Toxic sludge + water + dirt/mud? I am immediately going to gently caress this up :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How do you get mud, anyway? It is actually just something that happens when water touches dirt? I can't really figure where to get Swamp, either.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
No idea. The first enemy I saw ws the flying toxic assholes and they left a pool. I shot some water into it to dilute it and it turned into alchemic precursor then it started turning into midas draught.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Anyone made a mod for this game to zoom the view out? It would be great if I could see about twice as far in every direction.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

How do you get mud, anyway? It is actually just something that happens when water touches dirt? I can't really figure where to get Swamp, either.

Mud is soil dropped into water.
Swamp is moss + water

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thank you, I've been puzzling about that for a while now.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ambaire posted:

Anyone made a mod for this game to zoom the view out? It would be great if I could see about twice as far in every direction.
I made one a couple weeks ago, it's a pretty trivial 3 line change. However, there's certain locations that are screensize dependant (like the new game spawn point, which needs to be fixed) and probably some other things i havent stumbled on yet.

But really the biggest drawback is that the amount of visible screenspace drastically increases the area the physics engine has to take care of at high precision or generate&populate with spawns when you move around, which means that it will absolutely ruin your framerate, like from a steady 60fps in vanilla to 3-8 fps on using a holy mountain teleport with 4x screenspace area. So that's probably one of the reasons the game is usually that "zoomed in".

It looks loving sharp tho.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finally had a real good run, #1 was a real strong sniper shot that did gobs of damage and cut through terrain, #2 was an experiment but turned out to be great for flooding an area with AOE damage that followed around whatever I hit with it while I plinked away with #1. I also got the perk lottery perk and was able to pick up every perk I saw after that. Game's real goddamn good when everything works in your favor.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So apparently luminous drill plus a wand with the extend time for projectiles results in blades of light being thrown across the screen!

They cut through all terrain like butter, and can kill stuff across the screen through any ground.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 12, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Either I'm dumb and I missed it or this game could benefit from some rouge-lite progression stuff. I feel like games like Dead cells have spoiled me on how it can make the game more engaging.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I guess it is something that a lot of people have gotten used to these days, but from a gameplay perspective, I don't think the game really needs it. Every individual run is rewarding enough on its own due to so much of the enjoyment coming from the spectacle of blowing things up in creative ways.

Plus, I kind of appreciate a game where I can just access everything right from the start instead of tediously grinding my way through unlockables so I can actually get to all the stuff I'm interesting in trying. That's the downside of metaprogression right there.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Flannelette posted:

Either I'm dumb and I missed it or this game could benefit from some rouge-lite progression stuff. I feel like games like Dead cells have spoiled me on how it can make the game more engaging.
I think they were throwing the idea around that in the final game you'll unlock certains spell showing up with the orbs, BoI style - right now there's basically no beneficial reason to go for them except challenge and exploration. Personally I don't really miss it and don't want the game built around grinding a hundred runs to start with higher stats or something, but maybe they'll iterate on that draft and come up with something better/more fitting instead.

Depending how active the modding stays you might be able to pick your preferred "roguelike (pure isolated runs) vs roguelight (meta progression rewards)" flavor eventually.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I settle for grinding to start with a choice of terrain digging.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The simplest way to have metaprogression would be to do the Spelunky shortcut thing. Once you reach a given Holy Mountain in a run, you can start future runs from that mountain with some pre-set boosts. Like, 800GP per zone skipped, get a collection of four random leveled wands. You'd still have to play the game from the start to get the "true" experience but this would let you experience later zones more reliably.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did anyone actually use the shortcuts in Spelunky other than to scout for what kind of enemies that zone had?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't really think there is a point to that, anyway. It's too easy to power-dive through entire zones in seconds if you really want to and happen to chance on the right tool. All that would really get you would be to grant people an incentive for starting as deep as possible and then making their way back up to do it all the slow way for even more gold and spell drops - and I really do not want the game to stop being a single contiguous world just to prevent something as silly as that.

Honestly, the game needs no metaprogression in its current state and trying to shoehorn something in just because that's what everyone else does can only hurt it. Maybe it'll make sense to start including it at a later stage in the game's development, but not as things stand.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Feature request: something that displays how much damage you took from different sources over the course of the game. It could be structured like the cause-of-death text, just with summations from all sources. Shortly after entering the Hisili base I was down like 150 health and I have no idea why. Brushed too close to a freezing gas cloud? :shrug:

Proximity crystal with homing and personal repulsion field is pretty amazing, incidentally. Until you fire one and someone shoots at you immediately afterwards, causing it to blow up in your face.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think there's quite a big gap between players who are Noita masterminds who master the wand editing and synergy and people who can maybe make it to Hiisi base and then get killed every time. Some kind of progression options for the latter group would probably not break the game in a major way (I may or may not be part of them).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

TeaJay posted:

I think there's quite a big gap between players who are Noita masterminds who master the wand editing and synergy and people who can maybe make it to Hiisi base and then get killed every time. Some kind of progression options for the latter group would probably not break the game in a major way (I may or may not be part of them).

For learning the game, I recommend the respawn mod. When your witch would have died (doesn't work while polymorphed), you get teleported back to spawn instead, at full health and with all spell charges restored. You'll need explosives for getting past the caved in perk area of each HM, of course.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TeaJay posted:

I agree with this, I appreciate that mods can make this easier but it would be nice to have an in-game option for something. My best run in ~6 hours of gameplay came the other night and I died in the Hiisi base so I have no idea how far along I actually was. That was also the only run that I managed to put together an actually useful wand that I was able to pick and choose upgrades for without just slamming what I had in a randomized wand for maximum effect. The game is definitely way more fun when everything clicks, although I do understand that having those bad runs make the good ones feel that much more rewarding.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm playing with two mods: Always Edit Wands Anywhere and No Gold Despawn, and IMO that hits a nice level of "easier but not trivial".

It's still perfectly possible to die to a dumb fuckup, and you still have to rely on actually getting given stuff that's good, but it makes it consistently possible to actually use the good stuff when you do find it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

I agree with this, I appreciate that mods can make this easier but it would be nice to have an in-game option for something. My best run in ~6 hours of gameplay came the other night and I died in the Hiisi base so I have no idea how far along I actually was. That was also the only run that I managed to put together an actually useful wand that I was able to pick and choose upgrades for without just slamming what I had in a randomized wand for maximum effect. The game is definitely way more fun when everything clicks, although I do understand that having those bad runs make the good ones feel that much more rewarding.

I found mods to be a fair way. There is no good balance, too much rng and a lot of easy mistakes to make that will kill you fast.

Even with restricted health regen you can die off easily or just don't have the proper power to deal with lower floors, but at least you have a chance to try.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

haldolium posted:

I found mods to be a fair way. There is no good balance, too much rng and a lot of easy mistakes to make that will kill you fast.

Even with restricted health regen you can die off easily or just don't have the proper power to deal with lower floors, but at least you have a chance to try.

Yeah I can see the aforementioned gold doesn't despawn mod at the very least allowing me to take my time and not rush into an unknown situation to try and grab all the gold chunks before they disappear being super helpful while not feeling too cheaty.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

explosivo posted:

Yeah I can see the aforementioned gold doesn't despawn mod at the very least allowing me to take my time and not rush into an unknown situation to try and grab all the gold chunks before they disappear being super helpful while not feeling too cheaty.

The game dev feels that having gold despawn after x time adds dynamic tension to the game and an extra element of risk-reward.

You feel that it adds too much tension and have chosen a more leisurely option.

No cheating has been involved here.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Personally I enjoy the risk/reward calculation that comes with gold despawning. I can see how someone wouldn't though so it's good the game is moddable enough to provide options.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm still in the early stages of understanding how wands work. The wand in the screenshot (with the green orbs) fired in a near-constant stream, like a machine gun. What characteristic makes it do this? I tried comparing it to the starting wand, but none of the numbers seemed that far off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I'm still in the early stages of understanding how wands work. The wand in the screenshot (with the green orbs) fired in a near-constant stream, like a machine gun. What characteristic makes it do this? I tried comparing it to the starting wand, but none of the numbers seemed that far off.

It has a recharge time of .07s which is a lot shorter than the starting wand. Also, the green orbs spell has a "reduced cast time" modifier on it, causing it to fire even faster than the stats on the wand say.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

The 0.10s cast delay fron the wand + the - 0.03s cast delay from the bouncing burst projectile means that it has a cast delay of 0.07s, or really really fast.

However, once a wand has fired all its shots (the three attached spells), it needs to "recharge." luckily, this wand has a recharge time of 0.07s, which is the same as the cast delay, so you don't notice it.

Finally, there's the mana. Sometimes a spell fires more slowly than you'd expect from the delay because you're running out of mana. The bouncing burst is very cheap at 5 mana, but you're firing 14 a second, so it costs around 70 mana to sustain fire for a second. The wand regenerates 52 mana per second, so you actually only drain around 20 mana per sustained second of fire out of a pool of 250. I'd say that mana is not a bottleneck here, so you end up with a very good wand.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 12, 2019

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Aha, thanks guys! That wand helped me get way further than I'd managed previously. Unfortunately I'd angered the gods.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
One basic wand-building lesson it took me a while to learn is that more spells doesn't always make a wand better. If a wand has a lower recharge time than cast delay, or if you're adding spells that add to cast delay, having less copies of a spell can be better. Also putting either spare chainsaw spells or some multicasts at the end of a generic dps wand often makes it better. Chainsaws because they have a negative cast delay modifier, multicasts because of magic or something.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That bouncing ball wand is probably not that bad for killing the shield skeleton

You'll pierce through the shield almost instantly and then kick up a huge pile of bone dust, which will eventually get it stuck and probably drown it in place.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

1. I hope the game absolutely never changes the fact that you can create lakes and rivers of blood from just a handful of bodies that cannot by any sane means contain THAT much blood

2. I demand a Bloody Mess perk where the amount of blood each creature expulses increases by 999% percent, such that one corpse and one chainsaw can flood half a level

3. Psycho Killer witch class that starts with this please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Does cast delay apply if a wand has only a single spell in it? My guess is that it does but I'm curious if wands like that one with a higher cast delay than recharge rate might not literally become better with fewer spells.