Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also am hopeful for a good manifesto launch, it would make canvassing easier if we had a national media release backing up what we say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah it seems like if anything this further mobilises labour and remainers and demobilises the tory moderates

If the BXP was actually a threat to the tories and would win their seats they wouldn't be standing down against them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would have been nice if bxp would murder the tories but it was never the whole point of the campaign, plus as noted it's still not anywhere near proven that focusing only on the lab held marginals and ignoring the tory held ones when a lot of them are within a thousand votes is actually gonna make that much difference?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ornedan posted:

Ah. Well in that case such an electronic voting system is just fair bit of effort to construct, but requires solving no new problems.

Like many things in the UK, it's technically true, but the ballots are kept in big unmarked bundles around in councils somewhere - the capacity is there to link votes to individuals if the state really wants to go rooting around (voting fraud allegations) but no-where near the wild scale deanonymization you'd get with online voting.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

namesake posted:

CRASH OUT OF EU(?)

NO(,) DEAL BREXIT!

(A FATAL BLOW)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/HousingFirstUK/status/1193913323223433221

I chucked a screenshot of Dumbsberg's tweet onto Discord as well.

https://twitter.com/sjwrenlewis/status/1193824165591171073

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Brexit Party's votes hurt Brexit candidates. That means the Tories will lose out more. Labour need to persuade people to not be incredibly moronic by voting Lib Dem, and with Jo Swinson actually going out in public this should be doable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a good tom scott video on electronic voting.

Broad point of it is that it doesn't actually solve problems and introduces a shitload of new ones. If you want to increase turnout you spend money to open more polling stations, tell people that voting is important, and encourage people to register for postal voting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

There's a good tom scott video on electronic voting.

Broad point of it is that it doesn't actually solve problems and introduces a shitload of new ones. If you want to increase turnout you spend money to open more polling stations, tell people that voting is important, and encourage people to register for postal voting.

Be like India and have some poor bastard climb a mountain to let that one priest who spends his life otherwise in isolation to cast a ballot in his portable polling booth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

I meant to do work today but I was hungover as hell so I just laid about in bed jerking off lol

Shameful to do this during No Nut November

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tesseraction posted:

spends his life otherwise in isolation

the ideal voter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely the idea that we need to move to cyber voting for the space year 2019 is the same kind of idea that the NHS is fundamentally unsustainable and needs to be replaced with an app.

We do things that way for a reason, because the very act of distributed, paper based voting makes it very very hard to organize fraud, if you centralize the process to make it "easier" you also make it much easier to corrupt, and unlike paper trails electronic trails are much easier for a handful of motivated people to cover.

To do voter fraud in a paper system requires mobilizing large numbers of people, which increases the likelihood of getting caught massively. The effort involved is part of the security process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Screenshot that tweet. It's a direct violation of purdah and grounds for Kuensberg's immediate acrimonious dismissal.
Archive.org it. Screenshots are easily faked and would require a court injunction from the prosecution for twitter to prove the deleted tweet had existed. Archive.org can be viewed by anyone and is notedly impartial - Kuenssberg would need a court order to prove that the archive.org snap was not accurate.

https://web.archive.org/web/20191111134230/https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1193876766571585542

Nothing will ever come of this of course, because hell world. The absolute most we'll get is a slap on the wrist fine, most likely output is that it's pointed out that Kuenssberg once criticised a senior tory (who just so happened to oppose whatever Boris was in favour of).

E: Some fuckery over the mobile app parsing it as a tweet, corrected it now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 11, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Genuinely the idea that we need to move to cyber voting for the space year 2019 is the same kind of idea that the NHS is fundamentally unsustainable and needs to be replaced with an app.

We do things that way for a reason, because the very act of distributed, paper based voting makes it very very hard to organize fraud, if you centralize the process to make it "easier" you also make it much easier to corrupt, and unlike paper trails electronic trails are much easier for a handful of motivated people to cover.

To do voter fraud in a paper system requires mobilizing large numbers of people, which increases the likelihood of getting caught massively. The effort involved is part of the security process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

As someone that works in IT, is a programmer and understands security in IT, electronic voting is a catastrophically bad idea.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

OwlFancier posted:

2031, Prime Minister Server Notfound reelected with unprecedented majority

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love too hand responsibility for national elections to electocorp plc voting machine software (owned by jacob rees mogg's hedge fund)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bundy posted:

As someone that works in IT, is a programmer and understands security in IT, electronic voting is a catastrophically bad idea.

Electronic counting on the other hand is fine, because you can still do manual recounts on demand, and the majority of seats are won by majority anyway.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Bundy posted:

Same.

The Nissan Leaf when it came out had an app so you could remotely turn on AC, lights, lock and unlock, etc. It turned out that the only security on the messages from the app to the car was that the device making the request needed to send the VIN to authenticate itself. A VIN is a) public information and b) usually displayed on the loving windscreen of the car.

Imagine this but for voting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as expenditures go I'm not sure we desperately need to save money on counting votes every few years.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bundy posted:

Knowing how lazy programmers are with security too.

You can see it in the US with how bad it is. "Oh you want a recount, hmmm all the voting records have been mysteriously wiped off the system. I guess we win"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

Might be a bit of "video game myths" but apparently, when the first JRPGs were out in the US, people returned them in droves because "There was too much text and they didnt want to read all that"

Commentariat

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Archive.org it. Screenshots are easily faked and would require a court injunction for twitter to prove the deleted tweet existed. Archive.org can be viewed by anyone and is notedly impartial.

Nothing will ever come of this of course, because hell world. The absolute most we'll get is a slap on the wrist fine, most likely output is that it's pointed out that Kuenssberg once criticised a senior tory (who just so happened to oppose whatever Boris was in favour of).

It actually wouldn't matter if she had previously criticised a Tory under purdah the same way, because then that statement would at the time have been biased.

She would, however, be allowed to say "Keir Starmer criticises PM in response to Farage statement" because that is all factually correct and doesn't imply that the criticism is wrong.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

OwlFancier posted:

As far as expenditures go I'm not sure we desperately need to save money on counting votes every few years.

Arent vote counters usually volunteers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I'm aware yes, which makes it even more weird.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Kuenssberg is horrible but why do so many of you think that tweet violates purdah rules?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, the expenditure of counting votes through manpower being thrown at it is not inconsiderable, and it's not "every few years", I've voted in some kind of election or referendum every year except 2018 since 2014, and there was a vote in 2012 as well.

It's most years, and would massively speed up the process.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Oh hey this has been kept mostly quiet, but despite Assange finishing his sentence he's still in prison (and in solitary isolation) due to his pending deportation to the US at the end of February.

He's also held under fab conditions, as per the continued criticism of the UN:

quote:

On 1 November 2019, Nils Melzer expressed alarm at the continued deterioration of Julian Assange’s health since his arrest and detention earlier this year, saying his life was now at risk. The UN Special Rapporteur on torture said

"While the US Government prosecutes Mr. Assange for publishing information about serious human rights violations, including torture and murder, the officials responsible for these crimes continue to enjoy impunity".

He adds "Despite the medical urgency of my appeal, and the seriousness of the alleged violations, the UK has not undertaken any measures of investigation, prevention and redress required under international law." 

As predicted by Melzer, shortly after the Special Rapporteur’s visit, Mr. Assange had to be transferred to the prison’s health care unit. "He continues to be detained under oppressive conditions of isolation and surveillance, not justified by his detention status".

According to this expert "The blatant and sustained arbitrariness shown by both the judiciary and the Government in this case suggests an alarming departure from the UK’s commitment to human rights and the rule of law. This is setting a worrying example, which is further reinforced by the Government’s recent refusal to conduct the long-awaited judicial inquiry into British involvement in the CIA torture and rendition programme." 

Now he's kindof a oval office but he probably shouldn't have his human rights violated for exposing US war crimes, that's just me though.

Wonder if Corbyn would stop his extradition to the US if he wins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even then I'm not sure we really need labour saving devices. It's one night's work for a very small section of the labour force. And doing it with lots of people again is the best protection against fraud.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Kuenssberg is horrible but why do so many of you think that tweet violates purdah rules?

She's giving her opinion rather than just the facts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Now he's kindof a oval office but he probably shouldn't have his human rights violated for exposing US war crimes, that's just me though.

Wonder if Corbyn would stop his extradition to the US if he wins.

Labour (Ms. Abbott) already said that he should be extradited to Sweden to face his sex crimes, not to the US for his whistleblowing.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Counters are paid £90 for the night
https://www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/info/20053/elections_and_voting/394/election_job_descriptions/3

It's really really difficult to influence or falsely count the ballots on the night - first they're all counted to make sure the number of ballots for the constituency matches the total of each polling station, then sorted into candidate piles and each candidate counted, each time by a different person, then retotaled to make sure each candidate + spoiled ballots matches the original count. Each ballot found in the wrong pile is moved to the right one and in the case it's noticed too much in one pile the count will be resifted and restarted
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/UKPGE-easy-guide-to-the-count-FINAL-FILE-DL-Leaflet.pdf

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Got to release the ghosts from my cerebrospinal fluid somehow, or it'll become thick like jizz and I'll die.

OwlFancier posted:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E2: welp, gonna boot up the PC so I can access the checkbox to tell it not to parse the url.
Wouldn't happen if you computed with paper and manual counting :v:

Seriously though, the hardware issues alone with online voting would be terrible.

mehall posted:

Electronic counting on the other hand is fine, because you can still do manual recounts on demand, and the majority of seats are won by majority anyway.
Yeah, pretty much this.

If and these are big ifs, if we moved to a better system than FPTP, and had ballot initiatives on other things than simple candidates, and had more elected positions like PPCs, then I wouldn't be completely averse to translating the written vote to punched cards using volunteers (not punched cards at the polling station because of all the Chads) and using mechanical card sorters to tally the vote.

That's about as far as I'd go. Two tally sorters, kept in safe storage, verified on the eve of the election with random stacks of known cardsets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bundy posted:

She's giving her opinion rather than just the facts.

The tone is clearly suspect, but the only thing she states is the facts, there's no actual opinion stated.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rarity posted:

I'm handling the nuts for everyone.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Labour (Ms. Abbott) already said that he should be extradited to Sweden to face his sex crimes, not to the US for his whistleblowing.

I'm curious if they can even do that though - apparently the extradition order has already been signed by the-then home secretary Javid mr. eggman, so even though there will still be more hearings I'm not sure if that can be rescinded, or if there's some other way for his extradition to the US to be stopped.

I suppose that's more a question for any lawyers ITT.

VVVV

lmbo owned

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Due to Horrible Circumstances I'm having to look at London pricing housing and what the gently caress is wrong with you London fucks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

I meant to do work today but I was hungover as hell so I just laid about in bed jerking off lol

hangover wanks are terrible ime

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tesseraction posted:

Due to Horrible Circumstances I'm having to look at London pricing housing and what the gently caress is wrong with you London fucks

It's not us, believe me I'd much rather have a place I can live in without doing 20+ hours of over time a month.

It's that the only "growth" over the past twenty years has pretty much been in "selling houses to each other" business. It does nothing.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Azza Bamboo posted:

I disagree with what is almost direct ageism. I get that there's bitterness about the way some people vote but disenfranchising citizens is not the answer.

what about disenfranchising people that think that wearing a white poppy is offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

Today has been a hard day, but we've got to keep on going.

Had to cancel a DnD game I love, people getting Couped in foreign countries, Brexit party deciding to act as wreckers etc.

All of these things are bad and must be fought, but remember why we are fighting, we are fighting for each other, for the possibility of a world where we can be kind to each other without fear, where all of us can look into our neighbours faces and not feel fear or doubt but to feel lifted up and encouraged by a simple act of humanity. The road is a long one, it is a hard one, but it is one we all should walk.

bman gives me energy

ThomasPaine posted:

you're an academic right? What's the difference hiyooooo

Jose posted:

hangover wanks are terrible ime

I have a loving strange brain and body, because the only time I experience any real libido is when I'm catastrophically hungover. From googling it seems there are a few other people out there who experience the same thing, and there's a lot of dumbshit amateur reddit medical theorycrafting about it. Not that that helps any

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 11, 2019