Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

Friends, goons, behold: Hiromichi Tanaka's vision of patch content for Final Fantasy X I V Online, circa September 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cW56J8Gc5A

Because constructible cannons, ships, cakes, and naval combat were exactly what the game needed in the state it was in during 2010.

Patching in sinking ships feels a bit too on the nose for 1.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I got the Aiming body piece from this week's YoRHa raid. I actually prefer it over the 2B body for glamour. I'm also using the Aiming feet with its powerful high heels. I might just keep going with the ensemble and try to do some punk/goth look.

e:

Vermain posted:

Patching in sinking ships feels a bit too on the nose for 1.0.

:vince:

I completely forgot about the planned patch content, too. What a disaster. I'm so happy the game became what it did.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'd take naval combat over eureka any time

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Man, there’s something metatextual of Louisoix dying at the end of 1.0 and becoming the rejuvenating Phoenix

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 11, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Could you put that in spoiler tags? I'd be mad if I saw that before I found that out.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 11, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anyone that could spoil at this point wouldn't have gotten the background for it to be a spoiler in the first place.

If you mean phoenix in general is a spoiler then SMNs are running around spoiling that one for everyone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Anyone that could spoil at this point wouldn't have gotten the background for it to be a spoiler in the first place.

If you mean phoenix in general is a spoiler then SMNs are running around spoiling that one for everyone.

I managed to go into Coils blind and was "whoa what" at the reveal so if I can I want to preserve that for other newcomers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

StrixNebulosa posted:

Could you put that in spoiler tags? I'd be mad if I saw that before I found that out.

Done.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Might want to edit out your quote now.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel like getting weird about literally 5 year old spoilers is a bit strange but I suppose someone will appreciate it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Glagha posted:

I feel like getting weird about literally 5 year old spoilers is a bit strange but I suppose someone will appreciate it.

I only got into this game this summer because of people hyping up Shadowbringers in the steam thread, and spoiler tags are easy to add, so :shrug:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

wereboat posted:

Defensively, all the tanks are basically the same until around 70 and even then its mostly one or two unique abilities per class.

Rotationally, Pld is very methodical with alternating physical and magical burst windows, WAR is mostly lazy until you get berserk up and then you go apeshit and slam all your buttons for huge numbers. Gnb is also like that, except you have a lot more buttons and your individual numbers are comparatively smaller. DRK has an mp management minigame tacked on that doesnt amount to anything until lvl 70 and is kind of disjointed.

Getting the RULES OF NATURE button on my Warrior made the class 100% more fun.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

In regards to ninjas having their own gear, when they were first added to the game they shared gear with monks and just had dexterity added to it. I’m not sure why they decided to change that. Scouting is just a recolor a lot of the time anyway so it’s not even that visually different.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

drat, they were not kidding about DoH/L leveling faster.

Got my Miner from 50 to 65 in a matter of hours just by doing one Large-Scale Leve out of Ishgard and then doing class quests for it. I'd be further along, but I haven't actually hit the Red Sea in the MSQ yet, so I can't get to where the ore is.

And my BSM hit like 57 just from doing the Moogle Tribe quests, and I only unlocked them last night.

Yeah, this is a nice change.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Gear types for melee should be squished so that the skin just changes based on your mainhand.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

i'd take naval combat over eureka any time

Don't let Komoto hear this or he'll implement ships that you have to level up using a separate system that requires you to form an armada and grind off jellyfish for hours on end and also there are krakens hiding just below the surface that will one shot you and cause you to lose your ship.

But you get a glowing admiral hat if you get your ship to max level.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Don't let Komoto hear this or he'll implement ships that you have to level up using a separate system that requires you to form an armada and grind off jellyfish for hours on end and also there are krakens hiding just below the surface that will one shot you and cause you to lose your ship.

But you get a glowing admiral hat if you get your ship to max level.

Well...that hat does sound pretty nice.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

a hat??? but... but i'm hrothgar :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Making ninjas use dexterity instead of strength would be an okay idea if they were on the same armor table as bards, dancers, and machinists. For some reason, they aren't.

Edit: Put dragoons on the tank armor table. Let them turn tank stats into attack stats-- the more durable they are, the greater the height they can hurl themselves at monsters from without turning into street pizza.

Nah. Ninjas using dex means that strength affects melee damage for literally everyone except ninjas, which is extremely inelegant. Have you seen the tooltip for strength?

Look at that garbage. It really ought to just say "affects physical melee damage." But nope, ninjas gotta be different for some reason. Most of their armor is just a reskin of striking gear anyway.

Also there's only one tank stat, tenacity, and it already increases damage. Dragoons should just use striking gear as well, there's no reason to make things more complicated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dex, Str, I ain't care just make it cute. What good is a ninja if they're not cute?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah. Ninjas using dex means that strength affects melee damage for literally everyone except ninjas, which is extremely inelegant. Have you seen the tooltip for strength?

Look at that garbage. It really ought to just say "affects physical melee damage." But nope, ninjas gotta be different for some reason. Most of their armor is just a reskin of striking gear anyway.

Also there's only one tank stat, tenacity, and it already increases damage. Dragoons should just use striking gear as well, there's no reason to make things more complicated.

You could shorten that list considerably by removing all the casters, healers, and blue mage from it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Cabbit posted:

You could shorten that list considerably by removing all the casters, healers, and blue mage from it.

How am I going to know how to increase the damage wacking things with my book does?!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cabbit posted:

Why did you make Blue Mage distinct from Casters?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Personal opinion: gear should just have an Ilevel, type and other stat modifiers (from materia, etc) should be represented as percentages. Number crunching basically isn't really a thing in game anyways.

As long as I'm wishing too, make gear slots represent stat items/accessories worn over or in your outfit, and give us a separate "outfit" tab instead of having glamour crystals.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 11, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Why did you make Blue Mage distinct from Casters?

Blue Mage's damage calculations actually differ from every other class in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Fair enough.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They have the ability to code gear to just be +(main stat) and +(sub stat) and it changes based on what job equips it, like aetheryte earrings. They could just make everyone use the exact same piece of gear if they wanted.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It would simplify the system immensely if mainstat ceased to exist entirely and its place in damage calculations was just based off the item level of the equipment. I don't envy whoever would have to rewrite all that old noodle code to make it work, though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Reene posted:

Today I started leveling CNJ and I heard something weird behind me and realized that a friend had tracked me down in Gridania so they could follow me around blasting the Cheers theme music on the trumpet

I love this loving game

The spirit of Mabinogi lives on FFXIV

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Thundarr posted:

It would simplify the system immensely if mainstat ceased to exist entirely and its place in damage calculations was just based off the item level of the equipment. I don't envy whoever would have to rewrite all that old noodle code to make it work, though.

Yeah, I mean, the game as it is basically hardwires your gear right down to only letting you roll need on your own class and having very clearly named gear for each class niche. And stats are ridiculously inflated at this point. I don't really see where the point is.

Character "customization" is basically all in your pretty pretty glamours.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I had a friend try the game and quit the game because he couldn't customize his character, and :shrug:

That is one of the things about this game, we all play the same class, so it comes down to player skill + who has the best glams. I'm cool with that, but not everyone is.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Yeah changing all that sounds like a lot of work for something that doesn’t really matter. Also having separate gearing for classes helps limit competition for gear in the role you chose and makes it less frustrating to get gear drops on the class you are actually running. If there’s four or possibly eventually five melee classes competing for the same gear drops that would suck. Currently it’s weird, but better then that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm sitting in a DPS queue right now with the bgm music turned off listening to my Alex minion stomp around in this fountain I'm standing in and it's so cute omg. splash splash splash

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm sitting in a DPS queue right now with the bgm music turned off listening to my Alex minion stomp around in this fountain I'm standing in and it's so cute omg. splash splash splash

:kimchi:

People rightly remember player skill and glam as being the most critical things, but good minion game is important too!

(I'm the one who had Shantotto aggressively ohohoho at me while I was trying to re-jig my crafting macros this weekend and blowing up things in the process)

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 11, 2019

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

StrixNebulosa posted:

I had a friend try the game and quit the game because he couldn't customize his character, and :shrug:

That is one of the things about this game, we all play the same class, so it comes down to player skill + who has the best glams. I'm cool with that, but not everyone is.

Well, WoW gives the illusion of choice. Like here are a bunch of talents you can choose but your just going to go on Icy Veins and pick the ones it tells you to.

J
Jun 10, 2001

How do I go about keeping my gear up to date as I level? Right now I'm just getting the occasional thing as I level from the MSQ rewards and sometimes a random dungeon drop here and there but it seems I'm leveling faster than gear drops. I'm assuming there is some point I'm going to have to care about this. Do I just buy poo poo off the market?

Also my armory chests are a disaster area. I've got like.... 20+ items in there for every slot. Some of those are crafter gear, but the rest is old stuff. How do y'all keep track of what to keep for future alt job leveling and what to get rid of?

Should I care about slotting materia into my leveling gear? I've got a whole bunch of empty slots and I forgot how to get materia to put in there.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
you really don't need to use materia unless you're doing savage raids

I raid and I only gem up the job I raid on even, my alt jobs get to deal with empty rags.

Also I tend to just hoof everything if its not something I'll use for future glamour the moment I get a better piece when level jobs. Sure I might level another job in that armorclass one day but I can just get gear again when I do. For example I got rid of most of the lvl 77 tank gear when I hit 79 on my 2nd tank bc I think its ugly, even though my WAR is only lvl 73 right now, but I don't plan on leveling it anytime soon.

edit: whoops missed the first part of the question. Gear is really only super important to 'reset' at the previous level caps. So at 50 grind out some poetics and go buy a full set of ironworks gear, at 60 you get a full set of shire gear from the same tomes, etc.
Even then it doesn't matter -that- much. If you are not locked out of a dungeon as you go via ilvl requirements in the MSQ you're fine.

Gally fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 11, 2019

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Every time I browse the mogstation I wish there were cool armor sets and not loving beach sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When you're leveling, forget materia. Hell, I didn't bother with materia until I started to Savage Raid. Gear is negligible and what you get out of the MSQ will suffice most of the time. When you hit 50/60/70/80, your class quests will give you a free set of baseline gear for that level.

And during the 70-80 MSQ, the main quests and a bunch of the sidequests reward you with equipment coffers. You get full sets of HQ gear for every tier of gear. I hope that they do that for like every expansion following this. It's a good method.