Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure how having bastards as a woman works, but maybe if you sleep around enough you could get a kid who doesn't count as your husband's.

Alternatively, maybe you could be a little less of a psychopath and sweet talk the pope into allowing a divorce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seduce the pope and have a bastard

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the way bastards work for women is that when you get pregnant out of wedlock, you automatically try to convince your husband it is his. he rolls to believe you or not, it's an intrigue roll so if your intrigue is worse than his he's probably gonna find out. however, if he is Trusting, he doesn't get a roll at all and is forced to believe you. after he figures it out, you have the opportunity to try to convince him otherwise, which is another opposed intrigue roll with Paranoid giving your husband a guaranteed success. if he is not convinced, he will go public with it and the child is a bastard.

that said, having a bastard will probably not help in this situation. a bastard is of their own house, an acknowledged bastard will be of your house but their children will found a new house so you'd have to marry them to their cousin or something to keep your house going from there.

divorce or murder is definitely the actual real play here.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 11, 2019

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Paranoid is probably my least favorite trait in the game because it gives you the "am I a cuck?" event for literally every single pregnancy whether or not you as a player have any reason to doubt your wife. It'd be one thing if you could game that event after the kid was born to potentially out some lovely heir as a bastard and disinherit them, but as is it's annoying as hell to pop up all the time.

E: now that I think about it it might be handy for gavelkind? Don't question the first kid and proclaim every other one of your kids bastards, leaving your realm in one piece. Probably easier to just divorce your wife and marry some old infertile gal though, or find some way to go celibate.

TBH I don't really care too much if my kids are bastards or not, the prestige hit is pretty negligible by itself. Only reason I'd give a poo poo is if I'm a proud, studly englishgfx haver and my cheating wife is making me risk having some Celtic or Russian-faced trash child :barf:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 11, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Paranoid is probably my least favorite trait in the game because it gives you the "am I a cuck?" event for literally every single pregnancy whether or not you as a player have any reason to doubt your wife. It'd be one thing if you could game that event after the kid was born to potentially out some lovely heir as a bastard and disinherit them, but as is it's annoying as hell to pop up all the time.

Counterpoint: Paranoid makes you almost completely immune to assassination attempts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Gaming Gavelkind by marrying an old woman with high stats in everything except Intrigue (because if her Intrigue is high she will murder your promiscuous rear end) and using Seduction focus to crank out a bunch of bastards, leaving them all (except those born Slow/Weak/whatever) acknowledged but not legitimized, then legitimizing whichever one turns out the best has been a thing ever since the introuction of Seduction focus.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah even when paranoid triggers your suspicions about being a cuckold you can just go "no, i trust her word." which is honestly what you want to do in like 99% of all cases really, even if you and your wife are irish just keep smiling and nodding if the baby comes out black. someone cucking you just means you got a free dynast, don't gently caress with that!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Gaming Gavelkind by marrying an old woman with high stats in everything except Intrigue (because if her Intrigue is high she will murder your promiscuous rear end) and using Seduction focus to crank out a bunch of bastards, leaving them all (except those born Slow/Weak/whatever) acknowledged but not legitimized, then legitimizing whichever one turns out the best has been a thing ever since the introuction of Seduction focus.

It’s extremely fail to play the game dishonourably like this.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yeah even when paranoid triggers your suspicions about being a cuckold you can just go "no, i trust her word." which is honestly what you want to do in like 99% of all cases really, even if you and your wife are irish just keep smiling and nodding if the baby comes out black. someone cucking you just means you got a free dynast, don't gently caress with that!

This should be posted on every page of this thread.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Yeah, I don't understand the problem with having definitely-not-bastards in the line. If there was an event where the bastard heir could get found out and plunge the titles into a multisided succession war that'd be a real issue, but Paradox didn't see fit to add it. It was probably a bit too difficult to code, because that kind of thing is definitely up their alley. I hope it's in CK3 though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a bug with succession law changing on death? Formed a kingdom, set the law to seniority. A Duke vassal relative of mine inherited and the law was suddenly gavelkind again. Set the law back to seniority only for it to revert to gavelkind again under identical circumstances. Ugh.

:mad:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The new guy doesn't have access to Seniority for some reason?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

E: now that I think about it it might be handy for gavelkind? Don't question the first kid and proclaim every other one of your kids bastards, leaving your realm in one piece. Probably easier to just divorce your wife and marry some old infertile gal though, or find some way to go celibate.

TBH I don't really care too much if my kids are bastards or not, the prestige hit is pretty negligible by itself. Only reason I'd give a poo poo is if I'm a proud, studly englishgfx haver and my cheating wife is making me risk having some Celtic or Russian-faced trash child :barf:

That event doesn’t actually let you declare your kid a bastard at will, especially if it isn’t actually a someone else’s. The practical outcome is just your character disliking his wife more the more kids she has. Unless she actually is cheating in which case it makes it easier to catch.

The real “turn legit kids into bastards “ mechanic is going to mass after a birth. My queen character had her nonexistent infidelities revealed after taking communion and my badass infant heir got invalidated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coolguye posted:

Not to mention that it costs money to put yourself at that disadvantage.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Coolguye posted:

Just marry your sister, that way the kid will be of your bloodline whether your wife is cheating on you or not :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Eric the Mauve posted:

The new guy doesn't have access to Seniority for some reason?

I don't know why they wouldn't, I was able to switch back to it. Very confusing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
New dev diary.

Combat seems like it's going to be a lot more dynamic this time around.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

quote:

You gain a base amount of Siege Progress every tick, which can be increased further by heavily outnumbering the garrison or having Siege Weapons. This constant progress won’t change over the course of a siege. It allows you to know what the maximum duration of the siege will be and you can take that into account as you plan your next move.

Pre-ordering now.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

As I mentioned briefly in last week’s DD thread, major rivers have designated fords for crossing. You can no longer cross them freely as in CK2, and will often have to move your army to find a good place to cross.

:yeshaha:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Really rubbish that it's only one commander this time. And it seems that flanks are gone and given they mention combat width it sounds like they are using an EU style engine. Really disappointing since the more...granular nature of CK2 combat was exciting. I liked being able to overload a flank, needing three commanders per army, not just rolling a d10 and this system seems to be removing all of that. Rather disappointing.

There's some stuff that sounds decent but it's not just a flat upgrade to me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You only have one commander but it seems like the intent of the knight system is to make you care about keeping at least a handful of other good fighters around.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sindai posted:

You only have one commander but it seems like the intent of the knight system is to make you care about keeping at least a handful of other good fighters around.

It's not just needing more characters, I really preferred that it was three dice rolls per side determining the outcome instead of the one that EU/Imperator uses. It helped spread out the rng so you weren't just totally hosed by rolling 0 over and over.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked being able to put your ruler or a son that you're trying to raise prestige for or at least train some nice commander traits in an army while being able to get a guy with high martial to do the real leading so that the whole army doesn't rest on your shoulders. Distributing the RNG also sounds like a good purpose.

I don't know if I have it in me to pay close attention to combat systems, but if advantage rolls up a lot of that into one number, that might help. Men at arms being smaller groups might also make it easier to keep track of.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Single commander and more understandable combat is fine. CK2 threw a lot of numbers at you and you never know what they do, and all of those effects are indistinguishable from random noise. Siege commander was probably the most useful war trait cause it's what it says on the tin. Other than that you probably put guys with high stats in command and they'll probably be better than guys with lower stats, but you never know. This new system looks much better.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eimi posted:

It's not just needing more characters, I really preferred that it was three dice rolls per side determining the outcome instead of the one that EU/Imperator uses. It helped spread out the rng so you weren't just totally hosed by rolling 0 over and over.

If the concern is variability you could just reduce the range of the die roll. You don't actually need three flanks to do that. Loss of oblique order is a blow, though, and letting your kids tag a long to learn things.

I'm not so keen on the loss of the skirmish phase, either. Paradox never did anything interesting with it, but I've an idea to leverage it for asymmetrical warfare in this CK2 mod I'm making. There was potential there, I'm saying.

Siege progress speed depending on the ratio of besiegers to defenders is traditional but kind of upside down- more mouths in the citadel means greater pressure on supplies, while not necessarily providing any benefit outside of assaults or sallies.

Supply is a good idea in the abstract, but Paradox games already have problems making feel terrain feel important and impactful, and this is only going to weaken its impact further. Though they did talk about putting more nuance into terrain in the last DD, so maybe there's hope there.

The rock paper scissors thing with the unit types is just- like, look at Stellaris if you want to know how fun titting about with force composition to counter specific loadouts is. It's fiddly and something you don't really have time for at the point in time where you have access to the sort of information you need to make it work- bollocks-deep in a war. Doing it to match terrain types- fine, actually. I'm down for that.

Finally, while I'm in favour of simplifying the combat system, and the old model with the tactics was mostly noise to 95% of players, I could have stood more than two pairs of attack/defence values. The trick would have been to select and foreground a bunch of factors that were immediately relevant at the strategic level- at the level the player interacts with, rather than the black-boxed tactical simulation. Fighting strength, yes, but also strategic manoeuvre, supply weight, morale, reorg speed...

I don't think it's going to hurt the game any, mind, but I'm not particular excited by any of this. Except "more chokepoints". More choke points is always good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

If the concern is variability you could just reduce the range of the die roll. You don't actually need three flanks to do that. Loss of oblique order is a blow, though, and letting your kids tag a long to learn thingsget killed.

Not sure which game you're talking about here but I fixed that to reflect what happens in Crusader Kings II

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That sounds pretty good. The combat in CK2 is pretty... well, it's not basic but it's so complex and somewhat opaque that I, and I believe this is pretty common?, just treat it like it's really basic. Get some traits on my commanders (I tend towards the combat width trait and morale boosters), make sure that they have at least 10 martial, and then doomstack around, maybe pay attention to terrain if I have the right traits or I face a larger army. I barely know how combat actually works, really, and I've been playing since Legacy of Rome, but you don't really need to. This sounds a little easier to understand. The one part I'm a little wary of is the siege engines, and in general the choosing your men at arms composition, because they explain you can choose them, but they don't really say how.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

catlord posted:

That sounds pretty good. The combat in CK2 is pretty... well, it's not basic but it's so complex and somewhat opaque that I, and I believe this is pretty common?, just treat it like it's really basic. Get some traits on my commanders (I tend towards the combat width trait and morale boosters), make sure that they have at least 10 martial, and then doomstack around, maybe pay attention to terrain if I have the right traits or I face a larger army. I barely know how combat actually works, really, and I've been playing since Legacy of Rome, but you don't really need to. This sounds a little easier to understand. The one part I'm a little wary of is the siege engines, and in general the choosing your men at arms composition, because they explain you can choose them, but they don't really say how.

Same, but for me is even simpler: make a stack larger than the one Im attacking and have the best martial guys commanding it. I really never consider anything else

Except if you play horse lords, than you can safely beat stacks about 50% larger with your full cavalry horde

And thats it, that all I know and ever needed to know about combat in Ck2

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked being able to put your ruler or a son that you're trying to raise prestige for or at least train some nice commander traits in an army while being able to get a guy with high martial to do the real leading so that the whole army doesn't rest on your shoulders. Distributing the RNG also sounds like a good purpose.

It's not immediately clear what knights are supposed to contribute to the broader battle outcome (as opposed to just being things that hilarious midcombat events can happen to) but it feels like these are all roles they can fill depending on how many of them can be allocated to an army and what effects they have.

catlord posted:

The one part I'm a little wary of is... in general the choosing your men at arms composition, because they explain you can choose them, but they don't really say how.

Everything I read about men-at-arms in the diary made them sound like, basically, retinues 2.0, if that's at all clarifying?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's not immediately clear what knights are supposed to contribute to the broader battle outcome (as opposed to just being things that hilarious midcombat events can happen to) but it feels like these are all roles they can fill depending on how many of them can be allocated to an army and what effects they have.

I think they came up in one of the articles that came out of PDX Con, which made them sound like normal units that were 20x as effective as normal units?

Their coming up in battlefield duels is a safe bet, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Everything I read about men-at-arms in the diary made them sound like, basically, retinues 2.0, if that's at all clarifying?

Right, but it sounds like you can (and this may be me not quite understanding what they're saying) switch them out faster than current retinues so you can customise your army to deal with certain situations. It sounds like it can be more fiddly than retinues currently are, especially when dealing with siege engines, but I expect discussions of how you set up army compositions are coming later. We know how they work, but not how they're made, basically, and I feel like that'll be important to how good it feels to play.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

In earlier interviews they've described them as being like half retinue, half levy. They don't stand around on the map the way that retinues do, but you basically pick a number of them up to some limit as your force composition and when you raise your levies the men at arms get raised as well. So if you want to change them around it's probably just a matter of saying something like "one less unit of heavy infantry, one more unit of light cavalry" on some management screen.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Since I'm starting to understand how to play this game I thought I'd try starting as the Andalusians in 769 and seeing how much of Europe I can conquer, and it's going pretty well so far. Please enjoy this beautiful religious situation.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

How'd you get a woman able to inherit with Iqta so early on?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Wait, did they change how holy wars work so you vassalize some of the land you take?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

youve always vassalized rulers that are your religion in holy wars, so if you war against a sultan who has a catholic duke vassal as a catholic king, you will simply get the duke as a vassal.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Coolguye posted:

youve always vassalized rulers that are your religion in holy wars, so if you war against a sultan who has a catholic duke vassal as a catholic king, you will simply get the duke as a vassal.

I've recently been getting the occasional Muslim vassal as well like as a Catholic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ok that's weird

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I want to do the new Monarch's Journey, but I probably won't have any time to play this week. Will I still be able to do it next week after the 3rd one comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The North Tower posted:

I want to do the new Monarch's Journey, but I probably won't have any time to play this week. Will I still be able to do it next week after the 3rd one comes out?

Yes, you can use the arrows next to the journey picture to go back to previous challenges