Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I haven't had a car payment in 18 years and it's super reliable. I love my boring economy sedan and wouldn't trade it for anything. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dik Hz posted:

Ouch, that's terrible.

:hellyeah:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I love the adaptive cruise control on my Volt. I commute 40 miles each way with 90% highway. I just take the far left lane, set distance to car in front of my to max, set the speed and go. I never trust the system entirely so am always paying close attention and will hard break if needed and don't believe the system will in time (it always has so far, but still) but it's been such a life saver.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If I can keep it going until it's 26, I qualify for a historic license plate. That is my current goal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My friend almost stretched out an ‘89 Corolla long enough to get the antique plates, but her mechanic father said gently caress it when he had to weld a doubler plate to be able to weld the muffler back on.

That thing got up to 180 kph, I saw it with my own eyes. It was a terrifying experience. Girl would just bomb that thing down every country roads, she came within a smile and batted eyelashes of losing her license more than once.

She drives supertankers for a living now.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Jfc what is it with this thread and car chat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cars are a tremendous source of bwm

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lowness 72 posted:

One thing about upgrading to a new car these days is they've got loads of safety features I'm interested in. Lane assist. Backup cameras. Better cruise control. Collision warnings. Blind spot indicators. It's the one reason I've thought it makes sense versus keeping an old Camry (as an example).

My understanding (not my area of expertise, so someone correct me if I'm way off base) is that the biggest safety improvements in cars have been in the structure of the car and how it's designed to function in a wide variety of collision types.

I used to kind of roll my eyes when I heard about some teenage driver getting a new or almost new cars from their parents as their first cars. Thinking back I realize that I had a couple good friends killed by a drunk driver who likely would've survived if they'd been driving a car that was ten years newer.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Magissima posted:

Like sands through the hourglass, these are the cars of our lives.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My understanding (not my area of expertise, so someone correct me if I'm way off base) is that the biggest safety improvements in cars have been in the structure of the car and how it's designed to function in a wide variety of collision types.

I used to kind of roll my eyes when I heard about some teenage driver getting a new or almost new cars from their parents as their first cars. Thinking back I realize that I had a couple good friends killed by a drunk driver who likely would've survived if they'd been driving a car that was ten years newer.

not really. in the last decade, major improvements:

incremental use of ultra high strength steel and better design of the safety cage that prevents deformation and intrusion in accidents
airbags, both more of them, and much smarter ones
improved stability control systems
passive safety features like backup cameras, blind spot warning systems, lane departure warning systems
active safety features that intervene in the event of lane departure or imminent collision
braking features like precollision braking, electronic brakeforce distribution
better lighting systems (HID and LED lights)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not really. in the last decade, major improvements:

incremental use of ultra high strength steel and better design of the safety cage that prevents deformation and intrusion in accidents
airbags, both more of them, and much smarter ones
improved stability control systems
passive safety features like backup cameras, blind spot warning systems, lane departure warning systems
active safety features that intervene in the event of lane departure or imminent collision
braking features like precollision braking, electronic brakeforce distribution
better lighting systems (HID and LED lights)

Thank you! This was a much better post than my post. It's interesting getting a newer rental car these days that has some of these features.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Magissima posted:

While I should be probing for self posting, the content has slowed substantially enough that it's essentially the BFC general chat thread.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Popped up in my Apple news feed: https://apple.news/AkUBIoYjBTkGdsXktjfSQ8g

Featuring the magic 100k mileage number.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Popped up in my Apple news feed: https://apple.news/AkUBIoYjBTkGdsXktjfSQ8g

Featuring the magic 100k mileage number.

That's the article that started this.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I read that article when it was first linked, but took another look now. Jesus Christ, I didn't even notice this one the first time for some reason:

quote:

Nicole-Malia Tennent and Shyanne Fernandez, both in their early 20s, wanted to trade in the car they shared for something less expensive last year. The friends, who live in Hawaii, ended up splurging on a new vehicle and moving the unpaid loan balance of $12,500 from an older GMC into a new loan for a 2018 GMC Sierra truck.

The rollover debt helped drive up the new loan balance to more than $66,000. The friends now split the payment of more than $900 a month, which they owe to Pearl Hawaii Federal Credit Union for 84 months. Their old loan was about $500 a month.

I wanted to highlight some of the words, but then I might as well bold the whole ting. I don't even understand how two people can talk themselves into that one.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Sjonkel posted:

I read that article when it was first linked, but took another look now. Jesus Christ, I didn't even notice this one the first time for some reason:

I wanted to highlight some of the words, but then I might as well bold the whole ting. I don't even understand how two people can talk themselves into that one.

A salesman had to be involved. They probably went to the dealership to see what they could do to reduce their payment/get something more fuel efficient/etc. Some salesman pounced on them, and talked circles around them until they signed the paperwork.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes those poor innocent people who were tricked by the bad car man :( :( :(

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sjonkel posted:

No man with a good car needs to be justified.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes those poor innocent people who were tricked by the bad car man :( :( :(

I mean the marks can be idiots who deserve what they get for their stupidity and the salespeople can be lying thieving greasetrap scum at the same time

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m concerned that two friends are buying a series of cars together. Are they just lesbians and the author is afraid to print that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean the marks can be idiots who deserve what they get for their stupidity and the salespeople can be lying thieving greasetrap scum at the same time

agreed, brother man just was making it seem like the buyers weren't in fact complete idiots

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That 4 car in 2 years guy is bananas. And it’s not just 4 cars, but 4 car loans - so the 100k vehicle still had a note.

Also the part where he got rid of one car because his family got smaller (divorce) and then had to get rid of that automobile because his family got larger (congrats on the rebound).

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Love to have my family dynamically scale over time.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/duthv9/did_i_mess_up_on_financing_a_more_expensive/

quote:

Did I mess up on financing a more expensive vehicle?
(self.personalfinance)

submitted 29 minutes ago by Yung_bean__​

Okay so I'm 19 years old,im a reservist in the US Army reserve, civilian EMT and full time student making around 2k-2.5k a month after taxes. My las vehicle I purchased was a used 2011 Ford ranger for 6k. Thought I made the right choice,had no car payments then I left to California for a month for training and my trucks transmission messed up.tried fixing it but mechanic did a lovely job and didnt fix it and decided not to drop any more money on the thing.I decided to buy a 2020 honda civic hatchback for 26k as they had a new buyers financing program for new vehicles and I got my car for 6% APR, $545 a month

My reasoning: •No wife and no kids •Not paying for rent.I take care of my mom and my only expenses are spotify,phone bill and food •I can pay the bill and insurance plus build a good credit •I dont go out much and dont spend my money on dumb things. •I don't mind working more to have to meet my quota.Im not working flipping burgers,I'm working in the field I plan to stay and it is helping me get experience plus I enjoy it. •I have good options to make money.i can run 2 24 hour shifts and sign up for events to be a medic at if I really need the extra money •Its a 2020 honda civic,that thing is gonna last me for at least 10 years and it looks drat nice. I'm deploying next year and will have a bit more income plus I wont be spending it on much for a year. The way I see it is yeah,I could wait till have a have a higher degree and pay but by then I'll have a wife,kids and a shitload of Bills to worry about so why not work,get some experience and pay off a car that I really enjoy and will last me for a long time?

kinda run of the mill BWM, but fits right in to the current car chat.

edit:

OK I think OP may actually be the smart one here; someone made this comment:

quote:

I would have leased, rather than buy new to save the depreciation

yes instead of purchasing a vehicle outright via financing at a high rate you can't afford, let's just go ahead and throw the money right down the drain. OP at least has a tiny kernel of GWM in this decision ("that thing is gonna last me for at least 10 years") and the geniuses at Reddit decide he'd have been better off leasing.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 11, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Even people who are good with money in the vast majority of their interactions with the world can be spectacularly bad with money regarding cars. I remember when I was first starting out in BFC we had just gotten done with training, had like $500K of student loans, $25K of credit card debt, no house, no assets and nothing coming in except shiny new paychecks and what did we do? We went out and bought a $75K SUV. I've personally gone through TWO cars since then, and while we're not spending beyond our means it's certainly the thing for which we're most cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

As a counterpoint however, we were driving to a date in lovely conditions on Friday and a pack of 5-6 white tails jumped out right in front of our car on a blind corner. The car was able to stop in time that I didn't have to pick deer guts out of my grill and the car, detecting the collision, actively tensioned our seatbelts - my wife said it was like being gently hugged by an incredibly muscular Swedish person. I lost my Mom in a car accident, so I don't think cheap cars are ever going to be in the cards for me.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Sirotan posted:

If I can keep it going until it's 26, I qualify for a historic license plate. That is my current goal.

I have a Miata that qualifies for Antique plates, which is really GWM since you never have to pay for inspection or emissions again once you have them. But then it's illegal to drive the car more than once a week after that so...

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

had like $500K of student loans,

How was culinary school by the way?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Where in the world can you get antique plates that limit how much per week instead of mileage? That seems overly asinine.

Oh, must be Cali.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Moneyball posted:

How was culinary school by the way?

Trying to figure out some way to deploy a "starving sandwich artist" joke tastefully in here. Need Chris to pull it off better than I can.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Where in the world can you get antique plates that limit how much per week instead of mileage? That seems overly asinine.

Oh, must be Cali.

I thought this was pretty common.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Oh, must be Cali.

Seems pretty similar to PA:

quote:

The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania
Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique,
classic, vintage, collectible or historic military vehicle registration plates for general daily transportation.
Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as no more than
one day a week.
Antique, Classic, and Vintage registration plates may not be displayed on a vehicle used to transport people or
property.

So, technically you can't use your antique truck to pull your antique trailer with your antique tractor or car on it, but that happens all the time around here and nobody cares.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Oh, must be Cali.

Here's the rules in Michigan:

quote:

A historical vehicle must be:

26 or more years old
Owned solely as a collector's item
Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation; however, the law does allow for vehicles with a valid historical or authentic license plate to be driven at any time, including as daily transportation, during the month of August.

I was half joking about my car but there's gotta be Camry clubs out there somewhere. And hey, I could still drive it in August!!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Elysium posted:

I have a Miata that qualifies for Antique plates, which is really GWM since you never have to pay for inspection or emissions again once you have them. But then it's illegal to drive the car more than once a week after that so...

Just get 7 Miatas.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's August because that's when the dream cruise is and a bunch of auto shows.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I can understand a yearly mileage cap, but to event attempt to put into words a # of days per week seems overly asinine, but here we are.

It's me, I'm the stupid in this thread.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I had a friend when I was a kid in PA, his family had a 1925 franklin and an old rolls Royce ghost handed down from grand parents which had antique plates. The info from this post is pretty much what I remember him telling me. Also, you can’t drive them when it’s raining/snowing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm looking for a short-term car lease so that I have something very nice and fancy to drive away in after my third wedding (same wife each time, we just didn't feel like the first two were magical enough). Can anyone recommend one?

Edit: No horse-drawn carriages, please. We tried that at the second wedding and it was kind of smelly. Serious ideas only please. This wedding needs to be the one because I've run out of credit cards to put them on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I can understand a yearly mileage cap, but to event attempt to put into words a # of days per week seems overly asinine, but here we are.

It's me, I'm the stupid in this thread.

it's not significantly policed

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not significantly policed

There's also no reason to get an antique tag other than to dodge inspections, so however stupid the restrictions are, it's not like it you are bound to them for any reason, you can just not get one.

Inept posted:

Just get 7 Miatas.

Why buy 7 Miatas, when if I just borrow twice as much at 29% interest I can get My Dream Truck?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

I'm looking for a short-term car lease so that I have something very nice and fancy to drive away in after my third wedding (same wife each time, we just didn't feel like the first two were magical enough). Can anyone recommend one?

Edit: No horse-drawn carriages, please. We tried that at the second wedding and it was kind of smelly. Serious ideas only please. This wedding needs to be the one because I've run out of credit cards to put them on.

You had me until "same wife".