Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Schubalts posted:

Just holding a button while a meter fills up, and then you always 100% hack/pick it, sucks. At least older games with "click once to attempt" had failure chances, and Fallout/Skyrim style actually had you doing something.

What's the point of having the minigame or a chance of failure aside from wasting your time in another attempt? It's not even an intricate puzzle, and they're always the same thing. No one has ever run out of lockpicks or hacking chances, the only purpose of the mechanic is padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I still love fallout lockpicking

Same and I know I'm pretty much alone in this, but I also love the hacking minigame.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

What's the point of having the minigame or a chance of failure aside from wasting your time in another attempt? It's not even an intricate puzzle, and they're always the same thing. No one has ever run out of lockpicks or hacking chances, the only purpose of the mechanic is padding.

the point is that they're fun, op

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the match-3 hacking and bypass minigames in Mass Effect 2.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Thank God for mods to delete lockpicking from video games

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

an enormous number of destiny’s problems go back to its desperation for you to play its garbage dick pvp even if that’s really not why you’re there, and the devs’ insistence that everything you can equip in the game must be usable in both pvp and pve and somehow be balanced for both (nothing will ever be balanced for both).

I appreciate that a lot of abilities work differently between PvP and PvE in Warframe. Much easier to balance if they don’t have to be the same for both. I also appreciate that I don’t have to touch PvP and haven’t bothered to do it at all in the 300 hours or so I’ve put into the game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
All hacking should be tower of hanoi puzzles and all locking should be that lovely game from skyrim where you have to maneuver your pick or it snaps like its made of glass I mean seriously have these people ever used a lockpick before.

I'm glad Outer Worlds doesn't have a big world to explore. The only time those are fun to explore and not filled with 90% open space and 10% maybe decent stuff to look at are the games where exploration is the entire purpose, like BotW (or where walking is the entire purpose, like Death Stranding). Otherwise it's just 'let's take all the fun parts then spread them out in this 10-mile area because simply walking between engaging'.

Oddly enough the only other game where I've really liked exploring was old-rear end PC game Gothic 2, where you could stumble across a cave with a shadow beast that'd rip you apart, but if you were sneaky enough you could sneak behind them to get a stat-boosting herb or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Professor Layton has the best minigames, in fact all of them are unique

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

sebmojo posted:

I still love fallout lockpicking

It's a good blend between knowing how it works and ease of use for sure. Still preferred Oblivion's, though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

All hacking should be tower of hanoi puzzles and all locking should be that lovely game from skyrim where you have to maneuver your pick or it snaps like its made of glass I mean seriously have these people ever used a lockpick before.

I'm glad Outer Worlds doesn't have a big world to explore. The only time those are fun to explore and not filled with 90% open space and 10% maybe decent stuff to look at are the games where exploration is the entire purpose, like BotW (or where walking is the entire purpose, like Death Stranding). Otherwise it's just 'let's take all the fun parts then spread them out in this 10-mile area because simply walking between engaging'.

Oddly enough the only other game where I've really liked exploring was old-rear end PC game Gothic 2, where you could stumble across a cave with a shadow beast that'd rip you apart, but if you were sneaky enough you could sneak behind them to get a stat-boosting herb or something.

I'm glad Pyranha Bytes is still alive and kicking because Elex still provides the experience of walking around and getting crushed by a random high level mob.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I deleted Gothic off my account because it is an absolute nightmare to run on modern hardware. From what Ive heard Piranha Bytes never stopped making that game.

They never let you play a lady in those games which probably one reason they got left by behind by the RPG world. The folks that did the Surge 2 are ahead of them since they've added character creation to their series

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Nov 11, 2019

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Taeke posted:

Same and I know I'm pretty much alone in this, but I also love the hacking minigame.

It's my favorite. :hf:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

I’d really like to see a game that uses rumble to simulate feeling the inside of a lock while you try to manipulate the pins instead of “is your tension wrench at the right angle y/n”

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I liked it a lot but it definitely felt like there should have been more to it. I’d be interested to revisit it after the DLC fleshes it out some and see what I think about it then. It feels like they played it safe and kept it small for this one since it’s a new IP and the first game as part of Microsoft Studios, so I’m excited for whatever comes next now that it’s exceeding Microsoft’s expectations both critically and commercially.

Sorry to disappoint but it wasn't. It was finishing a contract they started before MS bought them and was their last game as an independent studio. So I doubt well see any more content for it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm liking Graveyard Keeper so far but not the lack of save-anywhere functionality

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry to disappoint but it wasn't. It was finishing a contract they started before MS bought them and was their last game as an independent studio. So I doubt well see any more content for it.

It apparently sold above take 2's expectations so expect a sequel

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The only time lockpicking minigames have been fun or good in in Thief and Thief 2, because the patrol routes are such that quickly picking a lock actually matters and the game is fairly fun in its own right.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I liked how lockpicking was handled in Metal Gear Solid V. Big Boss is the baddest motherfucker to ever live, there's no question of him not being able to pick a lock so there's no minigame. In gameplay terms you're locked into a 4-5 second animation that's a little loud and restricts your camera movements to a very narrow field of view, so there is a minor element of risk of doing this a stealth game with a lot of pathing enemies. Also enemies will notice picked locks and become suspicious, and may even radio their superiors to report it.

This is neat because it allows there to be a shitload of locked doors where it makes sense, without becoming tedious. What a great game, shame about the real world timers and tedious late-game money/ consumable grinding.

I'd like to play it again, but some of those late-game toys to research have real-world timers of hours or even days, the longest one being researching and building a nuke, which takes literally 1 week of real world time. This isn't necessary to enjoy the game at all, but when you already have one save profile with a bunch of this stuff unlocked already, doing the tedious parts again is a real discouragement to play regardless.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

This explains so much.

Yeah, it's just so baffling. You've got a game about immortal zombie space wizards, and then when you go up against each other for the ultimate challenge it turns out your space wizards only get to do wizard poo poo like two times in a round. And also most of the actually fun guns are locked away behind scarce ammo that also only spawns a few times a round.

They had a timed event once where all the cooldowns in PvP were cut in half or thereabouts, and holy poo poo it was so much more fun it's not even funny.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Yeah if you start The Outer Worlds expecting a sprawling open world like Fallout or Skyrim you are gonna end up disappointed. I'm happy as well that its not some gigantic map with barely anything to do. I barely have time to play videogames anymore so hearing "its gigantic and it'll take 150 hours to see everything!!!" is just not attractive to me. I like the FPSRPG thing so i'm happy theres one where i actually have a chance of finishing it!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Amen to that. I'm a 35 year old father of a toddler, my game time is relegated to her bath time with mommy and the odd nap time on weekends, assuming we're even home. The Outer Worlds wasn't a masterpiece but it definitely scratched some itches for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1058750652518608897

I don't necessarily mind huge collectathons these days (late 30s, with a preschooler) since they tend to be easy to break up into small chunks. It just needs to be the only thing I'll play in a month.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm sure it's been pointed out by now but in successive games Kojima has named female characters Quiet, Fragile and Mama.

Not a fantastic trend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Polaron posted:

I'm sure it's been pointed out by now but in successive games Kojima has named female characters Quiet, Fragile and Mama.

Not a fantastic trend.

the B&B unit was probably the peak of kojima's Troubles with women but it's never a good sign when several of your female characters' names form a complete misogynist sentence

the weirdly bloodless dialogue of Death Stranding has been mentioned several times already, but that comes through especially clearly in the emails. the people to whom you make deliveries message you frequently with status updates and (yet more) exposition, and they all write in the exact same voice and that voice does not sound like it belongs to an actual human being. i have men in their late forties all messaging me with grammatically perfect yet emoji-riddled paragraphs like they're twitter bots boosting an amazon deal, it's loving creepy

plus they almost universally bathe the player character in praise and admiration and it all comes off as really artificial and forced

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

like they're twitter bots boosting an amazon deal, it's loving creepy

this seems totally appropriate if you read the emails about why the world is the way it is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

this seems totally appropriate if you read the emails about why the world is the way it is.

i don't think this is a deliberate artistic choice, it's just kojima's notoriously homogenous character writing coming out in full force

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

Is it because it's spacer's choice

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Amen to that. I'm a 35 year old father of a toddler, my game time is relegated to her bath time with mommy and the odd nap time on weekends, assuming we're even home. The Outer Worlds wasn't a masterpiece but it definitely scratched some itches for me.

Same here. It was a solid B game from a B tier developer who occasionally punches above its weight, ended right about the point I was getting bored with it, and was great in short bursts after my wife and toddler fell asleep. It has problems, sure, but I left satisfied.

I'll even defend it's approach to lockpicking and pickpocketing, if no necessarily it's implementation. Watching that meter slowly rise when attempting an action almost above my abilities without getting caught by the at the moment non-hostile NPCs walking around was more tense than wiggling a lockpick until it either snapped or let me in.

What really caught me off guard was how few opportunities to hack into systems there were outside of hacking robots. By end game I had about 200 bypass shunts, and that's with occasionally selling off all but 20 when I remembered they existed.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Polaron posted:

Not a fantastic trend.

who gives a poo poo, he made The Boss, Eva, and Sniper Wolf.

also those three female characters you listed are great gently caress off

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Nov 12, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Polaron posted:

Not a fantastic trend.

Fragile and Mama both rule though, so, yeah, who gives a poo poo.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also he named the male characters Deadman, Die-Hardman, and Heartman

I think he might just not understand how names work

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Never forget Hot Coldman.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sniper Assassin mode in Hitman seems cool (it's basically human duck-hunt) but holy hell did 47 run a drat marathon beforehand or what? In the actual game I can take the base level sniper rifle into a level and have perfectly accurate aim with essentially zero waver. In the actual Sniper missions, the crosshairs bounce around so much it's insane. I get that it's at a much higher distance than most shots in levels but still, 47 is literally braced the whole time, I don't know how that much unintentional vertical travel would even be possible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

food court bailiff posted:

Sniper Assassin mode in Hitman seems cool (it's basically human duck-hunt) but holy hell did 47 run a drat marathon beforehand or what? In the actual game I can take the base level sniper rifle into a level and have perfectly accurate aim with essentially zero waver. In the actual Sniper missions, the crosshairs bounce around so much it's insane. I get that it's at a much higher distance than most shots in levels but still, 47 is literally braced the whole time, I don't know how that much unintentional vertical travel would even be possible.

He's becoming self aware and is desperately fighting your control of his actions

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

i don't think this is a deliberate artistic choice, it's just kojima's notoriously homogenous character writing coming out in full force

hey man, Kojima has a wide range of characters

there's gruff man, nerd, sexy lady AND nerdy/sexy lady.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

He's becoming self aware and is desperately fighting your control of his actions

That didn't go very well for Terry in Contact. :colbert:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The only positive thing I can say about Quiet's design is that, knowing Kojima, he'd probably be completely willing to make a similarly nude-for-stupid-reasons overly-sexualized male character. And he'd probably name him some poo poo like Loud.

I don't know if you can say that Kojima is exclusively poo poo at writing women because he has female characters that are extremely well-written and well-handled like The Boss alongside absolute dogshit female characters like the B&B squad. He's always been a weird writer. He's like half-genius, half-braindead when it comes to writing which is why I think his games always end up at least interesting.

I've got similar feelings on his LGBT characters in Metal Gear Solid. Vamp is his own weird thing and I don't honestly know what to say about him but I do appreciate how unique the character is. Volgin is kind of a boring queer-coded villain type. I never finished Peace Walker but Strangelove seems to have a creepy obsession with Paz. Not the best portrayals, necessarily, with some weird baggage.

But Revolver Ocelot being basically in love with Big Boss drives a huge amount of the plot and the sexuality of the LGBT characters is never denigrated or anything (except for Volgin, where it's lightly portrayed as icky but never gets remarked on by anyone). In a weird way it's one of the most LGBT-inclusive major game franchises, just by virtue of having non-straight characters whose feelings and motivations drive the plot forward (and the characters aren't just there for a half-assed romance scene).

So in concluson, Kojima is mostly a pretty bad writer but the stuff he makes is always entertaining for one reason or another and surprisingly inclusive to people like me, so I like him and I will probably buy the pregnant Norman Reedus game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Casey Finnigan posted:

The only positive thing I can say about Quiet's design is that, knowing Kojima, he'd probably be completely willing to make a similarly nude-for-stupid-reasons overly-sexualized male character. And he'd probably name him some poo poo like Loud.

Yeah that was kinda how I felt, in a vacuum it's more okay. In the real world context with how women often appear in games, it still bugs me, I felt about as skeevy at times as if I was trying to sneak in a game of DOA volleyball or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't know if you can say that Kojima is exclusively poo poo at writing women because he has female characters that are extremely well-written and well-handled like The Boss alongside absolute dogshit female characters like the B&B squad. He's always been a weird writer. He's like half-genius, half-braindead when it comes to writing which is why I think his games always end up at least interesting.

I've got similar feelings on his LGBT characters in Metal Gear Solid. Vamp is his own weird thing and I don't honestly know what to say about him but I do appreciate how unique the character is. Volgin is kind of a boring queer-coded villain type. I never finished Peace Walker but Strangelove seems to have a creepy obsession with Paz. Not the best portrayals, necessarily, with some weird baggage.

But Revolver Ocelot being basically in love with Big Boss drives a huge amount of the plot and the sexuality of the LGBT characters is never denigrated or anything (except for Volgin, where it's lightly portrayed as icky but never gets remarked on by anyone). In a weird way it's one of the most LGBT-inclusive major game franchises, just by virtue of having non-straight characters whose feelings and motivations drive the plot forward (and the characters aren't just there for a half-assed romance scene).

So in concluson, Kojima is mostly a pretty bad writer but the stuff he makes is always entertaining for one reason or another and surprisingly inclusive to people like me, so I like him and I will probably buy the pregnant Norman Reedus game.

Vamp should've hung dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fragile? Must be Italian.