Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, that's my job. I've asked some really dumb poo poo over the years. :haw:

Great idea! Why not fry up a few sausages, to keep in the fridge for omelets or whatever?

Umami in the base!
Throw in a Tbl of miso paste if you have it, or some Worcestershire sauce, and don't forget some celery. I put celery in pretty much every soup and stew.

Thanks. I was considering setting the cooked sausage aside for an omelet in the morning. No Miso paste but I forgot I have Worcestershire and some, admittedly old, celery that will find a purpose in it's dying days in the stew. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, you wouldn't be, because 97% of them are hardcore Trumpers and/or religious assholes, like Home Depot or Chik FIl A.

:colbert: Don't tell me what I would or would not be fine with.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Could someone explain the popularity of deep fried spring rolls to me? I’m touring Vietnam atm and I’ve eaten a bunch but I can’t help but feel they’re wasted on me. Also hit me up with unusual food recommendations, I’ve had horse soup and snail pie, both of which were dope.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

amenbrotep posted:

Could someone explain the popularity of deep fried spring rolls to me? I’m touring Vietnam atm and I’ve eaten a bunch but I can’t help but feel they’re wasted on me. Also hit me up with unusual food recommendations, I’ve had horse soup and snail pie, both of which were dope.

They have a pleasant texture and are an efficient vehicle for eating sauces because of a high surface area to volume ratio.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

They're crunchy and filled with tasty things and are a great addition to a bowl of bún. They're also a great vehicle for nước chấm when wrapped in lettuce and herbs.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking at trying to cure bacon again. I'd like to use this recipe:

http://ruhlman.com/2016/04/11/bacon-time/

Costco sells pork belly that's already cut like bacon slices. Can I use that for this? Most of the recipes seem to imply that you should be using a solid piece.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you definitely want to buy the whole belly

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You'd have a lot of trouble smoking thin sliced pork belly into a satisfactory product

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've got some celery that's started to go limp and bendy. It's okay to use in soup, right?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yes

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

me your dad posted:

I've got some celery that's started to go limp and bendy. It's okay to use in soup, right?

Cut off both ends, and soak it in water (in the fridge) for a couple of hours. It will wake right the hell back up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Cut off both ends, and soak it in water (in the fridge) for a couple of hours. It will wake right the hell back up.

Sorcery!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Costco has big packages of beautiful golden chanterelles, what can i do with them? I was thinking mushroom soup with a bunch of other kinds of mushrooms? Sauteed in goat butter and served over risotto? What else?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

number 1 snake fan posted:

Costco has big packages of beautiful golden chanterelles, what can i do with them? I was thinking mushroom soup with a bunch of other kinds of mushrooms? Sauteed in goat butter and served over risotto? What else?

I've had em in a really great simple udon soup with a black tea dashi. Also lightly dusted with starch, deep fried, and served with black garlic vinaigrette.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Casu Marzu posted:

I've had em in a really great simple udon soup with a black tea dashi. Also lightly dusted with starch, deep fried, and served with black garlic vinaigrette.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i can't have soy, wheat or eggs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Use them ASAP cause those chants lose their flavor quickly

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I impulse acquired a kabocha from the organic grocery today. I'm thinking of just tossing it in the instant pot to make it into a soup like I would a butternut squash. For soups with cream in them do you want to set aside some to freeze before adding the cream?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

dino. posted:

That's cool - thanks for the tip :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

me your dad posted:

That's cool - thanks for the tip :)

Apart from that, old veggies are great for stock, soups, sauces, gravies, etc.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

What, if any, are the good food & cooking magazines? I just got a library card again and there are a bunch I can borrow digitally ( food network, saveur, BBC Good Food, Cook's illustrated, and Bin Appetit to list a few available).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

They're a delicious side to a steak. Simply saute in butter, salt, pepper, done.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

captkirk posted:

I impulse acquired a kabocha from the organic grocery today. I'm thinking of just tossing it in the instant pot to make it into a soup like I would a butternut squash. For soups with cream in them do you want to set aside some to freeze before adding the cream?

I'd just put it in the freezer after the cream. Worst case scenario you'd have to blend it some more, but I bet it will be fine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr_Roke posted:

What, if any, are the good food & cooking magazines? I just got a library card again and there are a bunch I can borrow digitally ( food network, saveur, BBC Good Food, Cook's illustrated, and Bin Appetit to list a few available).

Lucky Peach nope its dead

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i have a sudden burning desire to make egg tarts does anyone know a good recipe?

e; friend insisted i ask for flaky crust, not shortbread recipes

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 11, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mr_Roke posted:

Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country (both ATK) are good and reliable. Not the most cutting-edge and I'm not vouching for their authenticity on world cuisine, but I usually want to make several things per issue, and the tips are good.

Saveur and Bon Appetit are both worth leafing through imo. I skip a bunch of the features and I probably only want to make a couple things per issue.

If you're in the US, BBC Good Food is probably going to be more annoying due to conversions and sourcing hassles.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DisDisDis posted:

i have a sudden burning desire to make egg tarts does anyone know a good recipe?

e; friend insisted i ask for flaky crust, not shortbread recipes

Like portuguese pastel de nata? I think those are the ones with the flaky crust. I'd like a recipe recommend too :)

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country (both ATK) are good and reliable. Not the most cutting-edge and I'm not vouching for their authenticity on world cuisine, but I usually want to make several things per issue, and the tips are good.

Saveur and Bon Appetit are both worth leafing through imo. I skip a bunch of the features and I probably only want to make a couple things per issue.

If you're in the US, BBC Good Food is probably going to be more annoying due to conversions and sourcing hassles.

Thanks a lot, I'll check those out.

I'm Canadian and actually prefer recipes in metri so the only annoying part about the BBC one will be converting Celsius to Fahrenheit for my oven, but I accidentally bought the UK version of Nigel Slater's vegetable book years ago so I'm used to that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Anne Whateley posted:

Why? I don't understand this logic, like converting from idiot to metric is a pain because what the gently caress ridiculous kind of measurement is a cup, but surely any half competent home cook posting itf has an electric scale in which case you just... use it?

I remember reading some recipes from an American blog where the author bemoaned their system, but then went on to use it anyway. Why not be the change you want to see in the world?

Also, even calling it imperial seems weird. Fl oz and lb are actually measurable and I would be happier if recipes actually used them but everything just talks about cups, for both liquid and solid measurements. Ridiculous, especially for baking. Then the comments are full of people who hosed the recipe up. No poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You do realize cup is a standardized measurement, right? It's just not metric. 236.5 ml is one cup.

It should only be used for liquids though, weight for solids that are compressible/irregular shapes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You do realize cup is a standardized measurement, right? It's just not metric. 236.5 ml is one cup.

It should only be used for liquids though, weight for solids that are compressible/irregular shapes.

If i'm in a hurry I'll usually just measure out volume on things like granulated sugar or salt. Stuff like flour, though, will never actually be right if you use cups.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Doesn't the UK use gas dial numbers for the oven? Not that it's an insurmountable confusion, just another reason people tend to stick to recipe sources that are comfortable.

OP also mentioned sourcing, which is fair.

Then there are competing terms. Coriander means cilantro (the herb) in the UK and the seed in the US. I like the sound of the words aubergine and courgette, but someone who hasn't ever learned those terms will think "well, I can't do that here, skip!"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I said conversion and sourcing are annoying, not unthinkable.

UK cups and US cups are different volumes, btw, just to gently caress with you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrianBoitano posted:

Doesn't the UK use gas dial numbers for the oven?

What's a gas dial number? Is it just dots instead of a temperature?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've heard instead of temp setting on ovens they used to have just a dial from 1-10

Probably an issue with older ovens more than newer, similarly newer recipes probably list degrees

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Oven_Temperatures

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah uk recipes would say the temp in c or 'gas mark ~'but I've never as a 30 year old seen an oven in the wild marked that way and few recipes refer to it anymore

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It's not like we don't have our own bastardised hodgepodge of imperial and metric - drinking and buying beer and milk by pints, everything else in ml, measuring height of people in feet and inches, weighing people in lb and stone but food in g, driving in miles but talking about distance in metres and km

But cooking just seems to be one place objectively much much better done in metric. I'm just voicing a bugbear I've had ever since I read that blog recipe where the author complained about their country not using metric then went on to use cups for everything

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I've heard instead of temp setting on ovens they used to have just a dial from 1-10

Probably an issue with older ovens more than newer, similarly newer recipes probably list degrees

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Oven_Temperatures

Weird. I like when Brits complain about US measurements since as far as I can tell the UK claims to use metric but does not actually do so. Everything I ever see from there is talking about miles per hour and feet and stones and poo poo. At least the US doesn't pretend.

Plus for some reason they take it like some sort of personal attack, which is hilarious.

Butterfly Valley posted:

But cooking just seems to be one place objectively much much better done in metric. I'm just voicing a bugbear I've had ever since I read that blog recipe where the author complained about their country not using metric then went on to use cups for everything

They're writing for Americans so using American units.

I agree the US should use metric, but nobody gives a poo poo about my opinion. So either I can be That Guy and insist on using metric to people who don't know what I'm talking about, or I can conform.

It's a thing I've had to deal with since returning from an adult life lived in metric countries. I decided to just go with it when talking to people, but my brain is still metric and ready for when I leave again.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It's less personal attack and more, isn't it just the norm for most of the world that when you look up recipes online that you might have to do some conversion/understanding to figure out the different terminology?

Lots of recipes I see now have an automatic conversion for imperial and metric, which I appreciate. Or the blogger actually lists both when they finally get to the ingredients list

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's not that hard to deal with metric units for liquids, and everything else is usually by weight everywhere except the US so as long as you have a food scale that can display grams you're all set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Converting is no big deal, google does it for you.

And I was being more general about the attack, not only recipes. A lot of the UK people I met abroad have a serious stick up their rear end about Americans not using metric (though we do, as far as I can tell it's very similar how we both use both systems--liters are a common enough unit in the US, for example, and all packaging is in both US and metric units) and take it personally, which used to annoy me until I realized how funny it is for them to care so much about something that doesn't affect them at all.