Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RottenK posted:

is there a summary somewhere of why people are so mad about this latest pokemon game, or at least the latest reasons, i've heard about the roster cuts

They cut the roster, and didn't really replace it with anything cool or interesting. Like, so far the game just looks like a regular Pokemon game but with less Pokemon. Also, the way they announced the cuts was done pretty poorly, and they've been real cagey about whatever Pokemon Home is (AKA the place where apparently all Pokemon are usable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Oh man. I'm looking at the list of moves that were changed from TMs (infinite use) to TRs (one use) and I'm not liking it. Things like Flamethrower, Stone Edge, Surf, Shadow Ball, and Earthquake are single use now. :smithicide: TMs are now full of ridiculously weak/niche moves such as Mega Punch, Pay Day, Snore, Beat Up, and Screech in their place.

On one hand, great! A lot of move tutor moves are now present in the baseline first game of the generation as an item you can save and use at your convenience. But why complicate old moves to do that?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Nobody is detailing if this is purely in game pokemon or if transferred pokemon will still be able to use them.

the latter wouldn't make any sense

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Elblanco posted:

People think that the pokedex being cut, along with some moves and screenshots compared to old games that "look bad" think that is proof that game freak is lazy and incompetent and that pokemon needs to be taken from them and given to (insert studio/developer here).

In reality it's all knee jerk reactions to changes.

it costs more and has less in it lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

RottenK posted:

is there a summary somewhere of why people are so mad about this latest pokemon game, or at least the latest reasons, i've heard about the roster cuts

Half the pokemon cut for no reason, incredibly bad graphics, not even battle backgrounds. Looks like a pre alpha build and consoomers in this thread cannot resist paying full price for this childhood favorite.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
why did they cut Twineedle

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm stoked to play the Pokemon game and so is my 6 year old son. :)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

hopeandjoy posted:

How can I live without Bubble in my life.

Where would I be without Camouflage.

O Mud Sport, where art thou.

Seriously, while there a couple of ??? choices with the move cuts, most of them make sense.

As long as my boy Bubblebeam sticks around.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mizuti posted:

Oh man. I'm looking at the list of moves that were changed from TMs (infinite use) to TRs (one use) and I'm not liking it. Things like Flamethrower, Stone Edge, Surf, Shadow Ball, and Earthquake are single use now. :smithicide: TMs are now full of ridiculously weak/niche moves such as Mega Punch, Pay Day, Snore, Beat Up, and Screech in their place.

On one hand, great! A lot of move tutor moves are now present in the baseline first game of the generation as an item you can save and use at your convenience. But why complicate old moves to do that?
gently caress, really? I thought the Records were just the old tutor moves. Old staples like those being single-use again is some bullshit, even if you can apparently get them as loot from Max Raids.

Nice to see that quality of life has apparently been thrown in the hessian sack and drowned as well

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Oh and apparently the main story is short.

And there isn't much to the post game?

I don't like how this is sounding. :(

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Elblanco posted:

People think that the pokedex being cut, along with some moves and screenshots compared to old games that "look bad" think that is proof that game freak is lazy and incompetent and that pokemon needs to be taken from them and given to (insert studio/developer here).

In reality it's all knee jerk reactions to changes.

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread ever said that Pokemon needs to be given to another studio. Gamefreak was unprepared for development on HD hardware and it clearly shows. Criticizing that is not "knee jerk reactions".

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

If I wasn’t into the competitive side I’d give this gen a hard pass.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

How can I live without Bubble in my life.

Where would I be without Camouflage.

O Mud Sport, where art thou.

Seriously, while there a couple of ??? choices with the move cuts, most of them make sense.

Though cutting down on moves that get next to no usage is almost understandable, they could have as easily buffed them instead.
Compounded with the actually dumb decision to cut down actually used moves like Return, Pursuit or Hidden Power, or moves that make sense thematically like Heal Order from Vespiqueen (while keeping the two other Order moves), I am left wondering what is GameFreak thinking.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
when does the review embargo for this bitch get lifted

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Mizuti posted:

You can buy (or be awarded for raids) Technical Records, so it's not quite a return to old.
(also wtf Pay Day is TM? of all moves...)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

iospace posted:

Are you here to only bash game freak? It's getting super tedious.

People are allowed to dislike things and post criticisms you know.

Average Bear posted:

Half the pokemon cut for no reason, incredibly bad graphics, not even battle backgrounds. Looks like a pre alpha build and consoomers in this thread cannot resist paying full price for this childhood favorite.

Also it's basically a 50% increase in price with little to no actual improvements, which is a good reason to get pissed off.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread ever said that Pokemon needs to be given to another studio. Gamefreak was unprepared for development on HD hardware and it clearly shows. Criticizing that is not "knee jerk reactions".

Sorry, i wasn't summing up this thread's reactions but what reddit and FB comments are full of haha. This thread has been pretty reasonable overall. Personally I'm pretty excited for these games but would love to see improvements with future releases.

Also why is Falinks not part bug? They could have at least done that to lessen the sting of losing my boy heracross.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

the latter wouldn't make any sense

So the moves themselves are completely removed? I'm not clear if this is like removing soft-boiled from Clefable etc. Also if so, holy poo poo why are they removing hidden power it's a serious crutch move for a lot of pokemon!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mizuti posted:

Where can I see the list of TMs and TRs?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

TaurusOxford posted:

I think he was speaking to the larger outrage in general, the reaction on SA has been pretty reasonable, but I've seen plenty of takes along that line or worse. It's good to see things never change, it's like Gamefaqs hot takes from 2003 never really went away, they just exploded out and went to every board imaginable.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

RottenK posted:

Despite Game Freak creating HD models of all previous gen Pokémon with the stated purpose being to "future proof" them, not all the old Pokémon not in the new game. They are allowing only around 435 Pokémon total in the game from the total ~1000. A lot of people (not me) are upset that they can't transfer up certain Pokémon they raised from older games to the new games, citing that you've been able to do this since Ruby and Sapphire. A lot of old Pokémon just straight up don't exist in Sword & Shield in any way.

Game Freak assured people that they would be able to transfer their old Pokémon to Pokémon Home for use in later games. Home is a mobile app that will NOT launch at the same time as Sword & Shield and which we have absolutely no details on barring that it will act as Pokémon storage. We don't know if Home will have a price tag attached to it or not, but it seems likely as Pokémon Bank, the Gen 6/7 equivalent has a $5 a year subscription. A lot of people are really upset that Game Freak has been not forthcoming on details about Home.

Those are the main reasons people are upset, but due to the slow release of new information by Game Freak/Nintendo (an obvious response to the excessive pre-release information for Sun & moon), people upset with "Dexit" have taken to harshly criticizing anything they view as Game Freak's laziness/antipathy of their fans including the graphics, the animations of new moves, the story, the inclusion of certain fan favorites Pokémon (i.e. Charizard) over their personal favorites, the 50% increase in price tag from $40 to $60, recently the loss of a few dozen (mostly obsolete) moves, the loss of both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in favor of Dynamax and Gigantamax, the inability to turn off EXP Share...

My argument is that this, "Dexit," has happened once before with RGBY/GSC Pokémon being barred from entering Gen 3 onward. I will consent that the old Pokémon were still programmed into the games, unlike this time where they aren't. But if the argument was that "your" personal Pokémon that you raised can't come back, you must have not been around when that happened once before. I think a lot of people have consented that something like this was bound to happen with the ever-increasing size of the Pokédex, but they're frustrated nonetheless because of how cagey Game Freak has been about the whole thing. To me, personally, it doesn't bother me because while I have raised dozens and dozens of competitive Pokémon over the years, I always end up running a completely new team each game anyway. That, and $20 doesn't mean much to me personally. I am more excited to meet the new creatures, come up with new strategies for the current metagame, mess around with all the new fashion options, and generally be excited about what we do have as opposed to harassing and threatening game developers over what we don't have.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Nanigans posted:

Bug Buzz still exists.

On the other hand, bug buzz's distribution is almost exclusively bug types. Signal beam (and to a lesser extent silver wind) were the only relevant special bug moves from a coverage standpoint. Granted I don't think bug type coverage is generally terribly sought after, but still.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I bet they’re removing Hidden Power because it’s more :effort: to stop people from putting themselves through IV Hell and/or hacking to get the appropriate coverage move than it is to just make it easier to change your Hidden Power somehow.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Live Free posted:

when does the review embargo for this bitch get lifted

Possibly the 12th, but some reviewers won't be able to get theirs out since the Pokemon Company decided to limit review codes after the leaks.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

getting rid of hidden power is good, actually

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I'm sure this has been posted already, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyl44iLD_74

s' gonna be goddamn magical

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

RottenK posted:

Nanigans has a pretty good post about why the general populace is mad and making GBS threads themselves (see: Reddit) over some frustrating design choices. I think a lot of us also are disappointed to see Pokemon's first console outing be unambitious and formulaic. That's not to say it's a bad game by any stretch; I'm going to buy it and play it on release weekend like crazy. But... well, I don't know. It's a Switch title and in the generation we got Breath of the Wild and others it's a little disappointing to have that sinking feeling verified that yes, Gamefreak is just going to port and upscale their safest formula with a few new gimmicks. To be honest the only thing that really cuts deep for me is the level gating on capture. Just a baffling decision. Everything else, well, my heart was prepared for and I'll tolerate like I have for years. I still love Pokemon.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Abundant Atrophy posted:

You can buy (or be awarded for raids) Technical Records, so it's not quite a return to old.
(also wtf Pay Day is TM? of all moves...)
if there's a store to re-buy them, I'll grit my teeth but accept them being the new tutor moves.

if it's exclusive to raids, and you have to grind for them? torch and pitchfork.
e:

Deviant posted:

I'm sure this has been posted already, but:

new trailer

s' gonna be goddamn magical
it amuses me that some of these trailers are only getting posted on the japanese channel, aka, they don't want anything to do with USA because of the shitfits happening

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 11, 2019

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

if there's a store to re-buy them, I'll grit my teeth but accept them being the new tutor moves.

if it's exclusive to raids, and you have to grind for them? torch and pitchfork.

From what messages I've seen, yes you can rebuy TRs with the Wild Area currency you get for catching things there. Not exclusive to raids, but that'd probably be the easiest way to get *not checking notes* Thunderbolt

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I only saw the stream on and off, but it really looks like the story is XY again. With a subplot.

Rose uses the power of pokenukes (to prevent an energy crisis) and it goes bad. Also some folk are hiding the real history of the region, which is the subplot and becomes more relevant in the postgame, like that fat scientist in team flare. Hop is Hau.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I want to say that barring a few incredibly petty, and frankly entitled, sounding people (less here than elsewhere, but still present) I think most of the criticisms about Dexit and the ambitiousness of the game are valid. Of course I would prefer to have every single old creature in the game. Of course I would prefer better graphics and animations and even more quality of life features. Of course I would prefer an even better balanced metagame. Of course I would really prefer for Megas and Z-Moves to be back. Of course a cheaper game is better than a more expensive game. None of these are enough to dissuade me to not play the games though, but I get them.

My real gripe with all of this is not that people have criticisms of the games, but rather who they're directing their anger towards. Junichi Masuda, James Turner, the developers at Game Freak are not who people should be directing their criticisms/anger towards. They make the games within the constraints they are given. It's Nintendo and the Pokémon Company who are seemingly unwilling to grant Game Freak the time and resources necessary to do what they are likely capable of doing.

I'm not saying Nintendo/TPC is right to do this from a consumer/artistic standpoint, but from a purely profit-driven standpoint, they know that Pokémon will sell well no matter what, so their incentive to increase budgets and extend timelines is essentially nil.

Again, for me personally, the changes aren't enough to keep me from buying the games because I have no self control, but if enough people can stop themselves from buying the games and actually shock Nintendo into changing their practices, I wouldn't be mad. I kind of doubt it though.

The best case scenario is that they actually listen to fan feedback for the next gen.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Flopsy posted:

So the moves themselves are completely removed? I'm not clear if this is like removing soft-boiled from Clefable etc. Also if so, holy poo poo why are they removing hidden power it's a serious crutch move for a lot of pokemon!

They are removed from the game. They aren't programmed in.

Someone was saying that there's placeholder text or something, so that the game doesn't crash if you somehow get an old mon into the game that has the moves. But they aren't usable.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'll be upset if there are TRs that you can only ever get one of, like in the bad old days of one-use TMs. As long as you can get as many as you want (possibly subject to earning BP or whatever) I'm not so bothered.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hammerite posted:

They are removed from the game. They aren't programmed in.

Someone was saying that there's placeholder text or something, so that the game doesn't crash if you somehow get an old mon into the game that has the moves. But they aren't usable.

"This move can’t be used. It’s recommended that this move is forgotten. Once forgotten, this move can’t be remembered."

You will not be able to keep those moves on Pokémon you transfer up. They will be deleted once the creature is transferred over.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It is absolutely absurd to think Nintendo is rushing Pokemon's development. Nintendo is notorious for pushing back development to make sure a game is absolutely ready and good. Nintendo has barely any control over Game Freak.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So basically TRs aren't move tutors but just old style TMs? That's horsehit.

Lemme guess, Earthquake is once per save?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Blaziken386 posted:

e:

it amuses me that some of these trailers are only getting posted on the japanese channel, aka, they don't want anything to do with USA because of the shitfits happening

i haven't followed too much of the internet opinion, but i said this to someone on twitter who was complaining about the national dex:

quote:

while y'all are busy complaining about #PokemonSwordShield not having every pokemon, me grookey and wooloo are gonna have a magical pokemon adventure where we learn about friendship, each other, and ourselves along the way.

you aren't loving invited.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nanigans posted:

"This move can’t be used. It’s recommended that this move is forgotten. Once forgotten, this move can’t be remembered."

You will not be able to keep those moves on Pokémon you transfer up. They will be deleted once the creature is transferred over.

Is this known for certain?

The fact that it says it's recommended that the move be forgotten suggests it's optional. The message is pretty clear that even if you keep the move, you won't be able to use it.

It doesn't seem like we can know what Pokemon Home will do if you transfer in mons that know moves that aren't in Sword/Shield. It is generally believed that it will allow you to transfer in mons of species that aren't in Sword/Shield, so it seems feasible that it might let you keep moves that aren't in Sword/Shield too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Average Bear posted:

It is absolutely absurd to think Nintendo is rushing Pokemon's development. Nintendo is notorious for pushing back development to make sure a game is absolutely ready and good. Nintendo has barely any control over Game Freak.

I would believe that if Nintendo had anything to release for Christmas 2019 other than Pokémon.

I'm sure Luigi's Mansion and DQ11 are good, but they're not system sellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neo_Crimson posted:

So basically TRs aren't move tutors but just old style TMs? That's horsehit.

Lemme guess, Earthquake is once per save?

Yeah, if this is true it's one of the worst choices they've made, and that includes Dexit.

Everyone was happy with infinite TMs, no one wanted single use TMs to return, it's just a dumb and inconvenient thing to do.