Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GC exceptions are my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i love checking gc sales and only seeing discounts on guitars that cost like 2k

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

OutOfPrint posted:

Hey everyone, it's holiday coupon season at music stores! I'm in the market for a CV Bass VI, so let's see what Guitar Center's coupon looks like.

15% off everything? Wow, that's a nice deal! Oh wait, there's some fine print here. Let's see...

Oh. Well then.

Williams isn't on there!!!!!!!!!!!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

Hey everyone, it's holiday coupon season at music stores! I'm in the market for a CV Bass VI, so let's see what Guitar Center's coupon looks like.
In case your budget flexes a bit, Schecter makes a VI: https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/retro/hellcat-vi-1-detail :pseudo:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

OutOfPrint posted:

15% off everything? Wow, that's a nice deal! Oh wait, there's some fine print here. Let's see...

Oh. Well then.

Squier isn't on the list so at least you can still get your Bass VI. Just, y'know, don't bother looking for anything else. [edit] Wait, never mind, there it is.

Siivola posted:

In case your budget flexes a bit, Schecter makes a VI: https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/retro/hellcat-vi-1-detail :pseudo:

They also make a 30" Hellraiser if you want a VI that djents.

BDA fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 8, 2019

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Skimming that exception list, did they just list every pedal manufacturer they carry?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Behringer and its child companies aren't listed, so you're welcome to go hog wild on TC Electronic pedals.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 8, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

I know about the Schecters, but independently switchable single coils with a bass starve switch on the Squier is too good to pass up. I'm in it for the Morricone, spaghetti western sound more than downtuned E metal.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Someone is selling guitars with a signed copy of Kendrick Lamar's album Untitled Unmastered glued to the bottom? There were three others. They sell other signed guitars but this is just glued on. He sold that album on his website, signed a few years ago so they must have just got a bunch of those.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I feel like the exceptions they list on the coupons are maybe not enforced and it somehow acts as some sort of CYA? Possibly having to do with manufacturer rules about how low of a price you’re allowed to advertise for their products?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
yeah there’s plenty of reports out there that a human salesperson can ignore that list, but they can’t officially advertise or condone the practice

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

When your relatives ask you for a Christmas list this year, you know what to tell them:

https://society6.com/product/super-cheese-guitar-pedal_duvet-cover

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRh0qhwNZWg

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlGvHmQZH0&t=67s

just lol at Rob Chapman creating a scales video for absolute beginners, and he starts it with:

"Before we kick off, here are some tuning notes for you. It might be easy for you to tune to the sound of my guitar for a beginner. However ... "

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

former glory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlGvHmQZH0&t=67s

just lol at Rob Chapman creating a scales video for absolute beginners, and he starts it with:

"Before we kick off, here are some tuning notes for you. It might be easy for you to tune to the sound of my guitar for a beginner. However ... "

This actually isn't as hard as you might think. I remember back in high school our physics teacher brought in his guitar and would have us take turns tuning to notes he'd generate on some...physics thingy... and even people who'd never played an instrument before could manage it pretty well.

I remember a lot of the guitar instructional videos I'd pirate ~15 years ago would have a similar tune-up thing at the beginning, and if you grew up in a pre-smartphone era it makes some sense. Kinda silly in 2019 but it's not as though tuning to a piano (or whatever) is a useless skill.

Really though, if you're not tuning your guitar like this, you're doing it wrong.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When I give presentations on sound physics I play a recording of detuning and retuning a guitar string the old fashioned way to show interference and beat rhythms. People seem to understand it better than just showing two sign waves fighting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know I needed this in my life this morning. Thank you. :allears:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

I didn't know I needed this in my life this morning. Thank you. :allears:

Paul Gilbert is a national treasure.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

how did Paul Gilbert's biggest song end up being a power ballad with Mr. Big?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
because even at the height of 80s weedly wee shred the market for cheesy power ballads was exponentially larger

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
or as marty friedman aptly put it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFhCT9F16X4

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I've never seen this and I love it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Paul Gilbert is a national treasure.
gently caress yeah, he is. :3:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol Marty and his Blue Doodoo amps.

Edit: I’ve been told you can mod them into goodness with some effort.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is amazing, I love Marty, this is my favorite video of him where he's just making GBS threads on you about Sweep Picking and being corny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMkb4pxOc30&t=132s

The whole video is gold but my favorite starts at the time code. Marty's just so authentic when it comes to musicality, I love it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You guys didn’t start off by tuning to one of these things??

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

he has the squirreliest picking technique ever though, how he does it without carpal tunnel I'll never know.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol Marty and his Blue Doodoo amps.

Edit: I’ve been told you can mod them into goodness with some effort.

iirc just recapping them does wonders

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

he has the squirreliest picking technique ever though, how he does it without carpal tunnel I'll never know.
It looks fine to me? Most of it looks to be in the fingers and turning the wrist.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jason Sextro posted:

The best part is he acknowledges that he has a goofy as gently caress picking technique and just do whatever works for you.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Snowy posted:

You guys didn’t start off by tuning to one of these things??

I had one of those. It was... quite some time ago.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
haha

"Anytime you learn an exercise, learn it. And then just totally gently caress it."

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You'll never get a good break angle that way, bro.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The plastic still on the pickup is making me lose my poo poo

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
I don't even know what the gently caress. Surely that's harder to string than just threading it through regularly. Either someone is taking the piss or that's really bad quality control at the factory.

hexwren posted:

I can hear the buzzy/flappy string noise.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Nice. I might have done some things differently.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

hexwren posted:

My favorite detail is that the strings don't seem to be going through the body holes. Where are they going? Is it a hybrid top-loader/string-through bridge, or did he figure out some ingenious way of stringing through the saddle screw holes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wrath of Mordark posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress. Surely that's harder to string than just threading it through regularly. Either someone is taking the piss or that's really bad quality control at the factory.