Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I can't actually remember how much [RAM] my first PC had, but not much (IBM AT).. first one I built from random parts had 4MB, that much I remember well

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Rig Chat:

First computer I built myself was a 386DX/33 w/ 4MB of Ram, and a huge 120MB Quantum HDD, ATI Mach 64 Video and some SVGA monitor. Oh those where the days.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

HalloKitty posted:

I can't actually remember how much my first PC had, but not much (IBM AT).. first one I built from random parts had 4MB, that much I remember well
My first PC was also an IBM AT, my dad brought it home after work closed his office and made him a roaming worker. It had a beast of a hard drive at 20 MB...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My first one was an 8088 with a whole megabyte of RAM. Woooo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Amiga 500 with 512kB RAM, later upgraded to 1MB with the underside upgrade port :hellyeah:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, if we're leaving the x86 realm, I had a Commodore C64, too.

--edit: Come to think of it, the disparity in performance is pretty loving hilarious. Both in CPU performance and also solely graphics side, in pixels per second.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 11, 2019

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

priznat posted:

Amiga 500 with 512kB RAM, later upgraded to 1MB with the underside upgrade port :hellyeah:

Same. :) Good times.

Don't forget the Cumana external 3,5" drive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Same. :) Good times.

Don't forget the Cumana external 3,5" drive.

I had a dual one that had the LEDs showing what sector it was accessing and it owned for :filez:

Amigas were one of the few computers where giving it a love tap would sometimes work too as the 68k cpu would sometimes lift out of the socket and a hearty whack on the top of the case would sometimes reseat it. Of course once I got a torx screwdriver to get in the case that was less necessary.

After a guru meditation error.

:rip: Amiga, you were cool and good.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
My current PC has more cache than my first computer had total storage.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
We get it. You’re all old.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Is the Ryzen 5 3500U a decent mobile chip? I’m looking to get a basic 2-in-1 to use for work, mostly Office apps and Bluebeam Revu for PDF markups. I found posts from earlier in the year where it seemed like software support via drivers, etc, were poor for the mobile Ryzens but wasn’t sure if that’s still the case.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

Is the Ryzen 5 3500U a decent mobile chip? I’m looking to get a basic 2-in-1 to use for work, mostly Office apps and Bluebeam Revu for PDF markups. I found posts from earlier in the year where it seemed like software support via drivers, etc, were poor for the mobile Ryzens but wasn’t sure if that’s still the case.

Make sure the laptop is running its memory in Dual Channel.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I can't speak to the driver support, but battery life is measurably worse than intel mobile chips. I'm sure this will change, but as much as I like AMD, I wouldn't necessarily recommend an AMD powered laptop right now.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
My IBM XT was ancient when I got it. But I am still old.

Its 8088 CPU was AMD-made at least?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-benchmark-leaks-from-dell-alienware-aurora-desktop

Diffefent versions of geekbench is no bueno but I'm happy to take any news at this point. Excited to build an AMD box for the first time since the 3000+!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I got a 3600 for 175 along with a x570 msi board but now I'm reading that there's whea issues work 570 and Nvidia gpus. Are these issues still prevalent? May just return the board and get an x470 or go for Intel if so

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

ChazTurbo posted:

I got a 3600 for 175 along with a x570 msi board but now I'm reading that there's whea issues work 570 and Nvidia gpus. Are these issues still prevalent? May just return the board and get an x470 or go for Intel if so

Don't think this has been an issue since August or so and even then it didn't seem very widespread.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Don't think this has been an issue since August or so and even then it didn't seem very widespread.

Sweet. I guess I was antsy but I wasn't sure since a lot of the goggle results were from July. Thanks

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ChazTurbo posted:

I've had an nvidia gpu on x570 since launch and had no issues.

eames
May 9, 2009

The 3950X is out, 16 cores CPUs are mainstream now! :unsmith:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15043/the-amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review-16-cores-on-7nm-with-pcie-40

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think $700+ processors are mainstream

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think $700+ processors are mainstream
It's on a mainstream platform.

It will probably sell pretty well, too. I agree that it won't be all that common.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 14, 2019

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Here's a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stM2CPF9YAY&hd=1

It's VERY good.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I can't think of anything that needs to be a video less than a review of a processor.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

When I switch to Power Saver plan from Ryzen Balanced I drop down 10 degrees to 45 from 55, so that's definitely doing something.

I don't have any problem with high temps per se but when I'm idling so high compared to the other temps I see online I can't help but feel as if there is a problem somewhere.

Will check out PBO in the BIOS shortly.

Putting the minimum CPU in Ryzen Balanced to 90% didn't seem to change anything for me, though putting the maximum at 90% from 100% dropped me 10C at idle.

I also just ordered another fan to slap on the heatsink.

Edit: Changed PBO in the BIOS from 'auto' to 'disabled' - down to ~51C at idle (set CPU fan to 100% at 50). So better, but still weirdly high? I dunno.

Your CPU temperatures are 100% normal, stop fiddling. Nothing is wrong. And setting the CPU fan to 100% at 50°C is absurd.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 14, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If your CPU doesn't hit 90 under load, then don't worry about it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well now I know what I'm gonna get myself for Christmas to upgrade from my 2700x ;)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Your CPU temperatures are 100% normal, stop fiddling. Nothing is wrong. And setting the CPU fan to 100% at 50°C is absurd.

Yeah I know, that was just a test. I put it back to normal.

I would have been happy to believe they were normal, but when I checked online elsewhere the temps seemed much higher than others were reporting, so that's why I asked about it.

But as I posted later, I hadn't actually installed the new chipset drivers, and upon doing so the temps seemed fine.

Dramicus posted:

If your CPU doesn't hit 90 under load, then don't worry about it.

MSI Afterburner had reported a max of 94, which was weird, but it also seems to report higher temps than Ryzen Master anyways. And again it's lower now after installing the drivers. Still kind of warm but I don't care.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

Yeah I know, that was just a test. I put it back to normal.

I would have been happy to believe they were normal, but when I checked online elsewhere the temps seemed much higher than others were reporting, so that's why I asked about it.

But as I posted later, I hadn't actually installed the new chipset drivers, and upon doing so the temps seemed fine.

MSI Afterburner had reported a max of 94, which was weird, but it also seems to report higher temps than Ryzen Master anyways. And again it's lower now after installing the drivers. Still kind of warm but I don't care.

Your idling temperatures absolutely are normal for that CPU. Ryzen Master shows lower temperatures, maybe people are reporting those. But if you're going by something like HWMonitor, everything you're reporting sounds normal. These CPUs have pretty high idle temperatures, my 3800x is in the 35°-45° range while doing nothing and with my fan at ~650 RPM (Noctua NH-U14s, so way bigger cooler).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 14, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Stanley Pain posted:

Well now I know what I'm gonna get myself for Christmas to upgrade from my 2700x ;)

You know, I was gonna cobble together a system made of castoffs and odds and ends because I am legit already building three other computers this holiday season, but I get the feeling that 3950Xes are going to be out of stock from an hour ago until the end of time. :hmmm:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
There should be a few used 3900xes popping up here and there from rich folk or top-of-the-line musthavers stepping up to the best they can get on AM4.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Alright so the 3950x reviews have me fully erect, but I really need the Threadripper 3 benchmarks for the happy ending. When can we expect those reviews to drop?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

November 19th, IIRC.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i need nibbles of that 64 core teaser straight to my veins

i'll never afford it but holy poo poo that in a single socket at a reasonably high clock :captainpop:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nice to see AMD atone for its Bulldozer sins by giving us some hot, tasty product.

Stanley Pain posted:

Can X470 even handle a 3950X? I thought the 3900X was the upper limit of what the VRMs on most X470 boards could tolerate without melting down.

Lambert posted:

Your idling temperatures absolutely are normal for that CPU. Ryzen Master shows lower temperatures, maybe people are reporting those. But if you're going by something like HWMonitor, everything you're reporting sounds normal. These CPUs have pretty high idle temperatures, my 3800x is in the 35°-45° range while doing nothing and with my fan at ~650 RPM (Noctua NH-U14s, so way bigger cooler).

HWInfo always shows temps bouncing between 35° and 45° at idle, with spikes up to 50° when poo poo's getting done. And that's with a beefy Noctua NH-D15S stuck inside of a vanity case with compromised airflow (NZXT H500).

In other words, poo poo's normal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Chipset only vaguely correlates to VRM quality. The general trend is towards slightly beefier VRMs as time goes (thanks Buildzoid), but there are X370 boards that will run a 3950X no problem and there are X570 boards that will throttle under a 3950X too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Can X470 even handle a 3950X? I thought the 3900X was the upper limit of what the VRMs on most X470 boards could tolerate without melting down.
There's a long analysis here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281
It's a little hit or miss, and is missing some granularity (I kinda think handles and handles well are different, you know?) but yeah X470 has some good ones and some bad ones.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Spiderdrake posted:

There's a long analysis here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281
It's a little hit or miss, and is missing some granularity (I kinda think handles and handles well are different, you know?) but yeah X470 has some good ones and some bad ones.

Thanks. :wave:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The 3950X TDP isn't that much higher than that of the 2700X the 400-series mainboards were made for, so unless you're super serious about overclocking for the last 2% of performance for another 20% of power/heat (numbers made up but OC is even less useful now than on the previous Ryzens) I don't see why people keep assuming B450/X470 are going to explode running the new 16-core part.

People always quote Buildzoid or whatever and get hysterical about VRMs but if you're just running your CPU at stock settings (ie. without PBO or other auto-OC options) even midrange boards are usually fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

The 3950X even has a Eco mode that can be enabled via a Windows power plan. It caps the power consumption at 65W cTDP for ~75% of the stock CPU performance.

On paper this should let the 3950X run on first gen, 4-phase A320 potato mainboards as long as they're compatible. I'm not sure if AMD will allow it though.