Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea I don't really care what Obama should or shouldn't have done because, last I checked, he isn't President.

Trump is, he is (most likely) directly responsible for sky-rocketing health insurance costs for ACA recipients now and as such, should be nailed to the wall for it.

A deeper discussion on the policy failures of the ACA itself and it's implementation probably deserves its own thread.

Nailed to the wall to appeal to who, though? Trump voters LOVE that he is sabotaging anything and everything President Chocolate Thunder did. They literally give zero shits if it harms them. I unfortunately have to deal with CHUDs on a semi-frequent basis, and every time I'm blown away. The notion that you'll convince a Trump voter that the white man who says all the things they've probably literally prayed for their President to say, President Donald J. Trump, made anything Barack Hussein Obama did worse is just outright laughable.

These people don't care. It's not about policy for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i mean, the reason abortion comes up so often is that it is actually a coherent position if you accept its batshit premises

"if" lefties are actually murdering babies every day of the year then of course it's justified to engage in outright warfare against them. the thing, of course, is no one ever actually truly believes in this premise. Even people that claim to completely believe that a fetus is of equal moral worth to an infant don't behave as though that's truly the case.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Honestly if a white guy that's under the age of 45 says that he's really against abortion, I assume it's a white supremacy smoke screen by this point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

i mean, the reason abortion comes up so often is that it is actually a coherent position if you accept its batshit premises

"if" lefties are actually murdering babies every day of the year then of course it's justified to engage in outright warfare against them. the thing, of course, is no one ever actually truly believes in this premise. Even people that claim to completely believe that a fetus is of equal moral worth to an infant don't behave as though that's truly the case.

I would have more sympathy for abortion arguments if they didn't come from the same people who work to deny free lunch for kids or reasonable welfare.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Helith posted:

The bit I find interesting is how he thinks Tucker and Hannity present news segments, that they are news readers, rather than being hosts of opinion shows.
Opinion =/= news is something a lot of people need to learn.

If it weren’t for lawyers finding a quasi-legal way to present opinions as facts, Fox News wouldn’t exist as we know it today. Every thing that Fox reports is a falsehood dressed up as a fact, which is why they do so well with the dumbest people.

It’s like the politicians who claim to believe in the Q conspiracy or Nigerian-style scam emails that are chock full of grammatical and spelling errors; they’re looking for idiots who self-select as perfect grifting targets and are armed and ready to believe their bullshit (and more importantly, ready to throw gobs of money at it).

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

evilweasel posted:

because there are profound shifts going on in the house republican caucus and differentiating between republicans in trying to understand the effects is useful

i agree with not using the term moderate to describe the concept, which is why i already said i don't like using the term "moderate" in this context because it promotes misunderstanding. wall street republican isn't really accurate though either; he's more "rear end in a top hat new york city cop republican". i just struggle to find a succinct way to describe "on the left side of the republican caucus, but without any implication that he is anywhere near the center let alone the left" besides using "moderate" in scare quotes but i'm all ears on a replacement.

Maybe it’s less of a continuous variable and more of a categorical one? Like snack foods.

Jeff sessions is a Triscuit - A stale old hard flavorless cracker but tough - never giving up its integrity of shittyness. Consistent. You know what youre getting when you crack this sucker open.

Then you take your run-of-the-mill cracker like oh say Mark Meadows. He’s a plain saltine - textbook. Crumbles under pressure , bland and completely unremarkable in every other way. I’m not even thinking of the right person right now.

George W. Bush is one of those fancy salt water crackers you put with brie but inexplicably in Doritos style packaging. Nobody walks away happy from this purchase.

Ted Cruz is an Almond joy. You loving know it’s going to suck when you open it up. With half of the loving thing in your mouth your mind is reeling. There’s no almond. And this is not Joy but great confusion and deep concern. What have you put into yourself?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The gently caress is with the recent animus towards Almond Joys?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Hi yes hello, poster who thought it was okay to discuss taking Ted Cruz orally, please never use metaphor ever again

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Maybe it’s less of a continuous variable and more of a categorical one? Like snack foods.

Jeff sessions is a Triscuit - A stale old hard flavorless cracker but tough - never giving up its integrity of shittyness. Consistent. You know what youre getting when you crack this sucker open.

Then you take your run-of-the-mill cracker like oh say Mark Meadows. He’s a plain saltine - textbook. Crumbles under pressure , bland and completely unremarkable in every other way. I’m not even thinking of the right person right now.

George W. Bush is one of those fancy salt water crackers you put with brie but inexplicably in Doritos style packaging. Nobody walks away happy from this purchase.

Ted Cruz is an Almond joy. You loving know it’s going to suck when you open it up. With half of the loving thing in your mouth your mind is reeling. There’s no almond. And this is not Joy but great confusion and deep concern. What have you put into yourself?

An almond Joy without an almond is a mounds.

Ted Cruz is a mounds. Works on multiple levels.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Honestly if a white guy that's under the age of 45 says that he's really against abortion, I assume it's a white supremacy smoke screen by this point

IMO, that age cutoff is the wrong way around.

At least younger fanatics have the excuse of being brought up in a culture where abortion is the ultimate evil. Older anti-abortion fanatics have to know its all bullshit.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

AmiYumi posted:

Hi yes hello, poster who thought it was okay to discuss taking Ted Cruz orally, please never use metaphor ever again

Your mind cannot un see this. And because I have an extremely shallow brain I didn’t even have to think about it. Checkmate.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I would have more sympathy for abortion arguments if they didn't come from the same people who work to deny free lunch for kids or reasonable welfare.
I might have some sympathy if they were in favor of any of the many ways proven to, you know, dramatically decrease abortion rates.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Or didn't stand against women's rights. Or birth control. Or proper sex ed. Or ANYTHING that would actually impact abortion rates.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Republicans posted:

The gently caress is with the recent animus towards Almond Joys?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a non-boomer eat one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I like almond joys and their giant brick of 'coconut' :saddowns:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
From an article on Trump's Veterans Day speech : "Mr. Trump helped boost the parade in 1995 when it was struggling to attract donations, writing a check for over $300,000. In return, he asked to be made the grand marshal, an honor he was not bestowed because he never served in the military."

He really can't do one loving decent thing. It's incredible. Every decent act, instantly ruined by his disgusting pride. And also hysterical how bad he is at all of it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CubanMissile posted:

Almond joys are delicious and do not deserve to be tarred with the boomer brush.

Peter King Pioneered the Persecution of American Muslims

Shameful that this is the man Chuck Schumer wants to pay tribute to:

quote:

King encouraged law enforcement spying in mosques, an invasion that no religious group in America would ever tolerate, when he wasn’t complaining that America hosted too mosques in the first place. He fanned the flames of anti-Muslim hysteria over an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero. With a chairman’s gavel in his hand, King legitimized anti-Muslim persecution by holding a series of hearings resting on the bigoted and false premise that American Muslims were insufficiently committed to thwarting terrorism. (One 2011 study found that more than 20 percent of federal cases targeting Islamist terrorism began with tips from Muslims or with the cooperation of suspects’ relatives.)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

I'm solidly Millennial and they're my #4 - Kit Kat, Snickers, Twix, Almond Joy.

3 Musketeers can gently caress right off. Milky Way too - apparently I need my nuts.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Sir Lemming posted:

Just what Rudy needs, less of a filter.

Nixon had Deep Throat; Trump will have Impeach Cobbler with Rudy Giuliani, brought to you by Earwolf
I have listened to maybe three podcasts in my life, and I would pay a decent monthly sum for fresh episodes of Live Crimin' with Rudes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ZobarStyl posted:

I have listened to maybe three podcasts in my life, and I would pay a decent monthly sum for fresh episodes of Live Crimin' with Rudes

Crimin' With Mr. Rudy

Gilliam II
Apr 23, 2006
Argh! Stop using a child to protest!
Pillbug
I'm in Pete King's district, and the best thing I can say about him is that he's not our neighboring house member, Lee Zeldin. Somewhat disappointed I don't get to vote against him again, glad he's going away.

Someone before was talking about how he loves the IRA and has a double standard with other groups. This is my dad. He's from Dublin and has this huge complex where one time I called the IRA terrorists in his presence, he was instantly scandalized and got red and yelled at me never to talk that way about the IRA again, they're our friends. Otherwise he's a "shy"chud in that he can agree with me while talking politics, then complain I'm too good at it and say his friend back in the old country recommended this really good book on how Muslims are taking over London.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Crimin' With Mr. Rudy
Later episodes will still be delivered live from federal penitentiary via contraband smartphones, but as follower numbers dwindle the former Mayor will take to gimmicks such as challenging listeners to identify how many felonies each cast contains.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1194035922066714625

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1194031678395686912
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1194033162936102912

you know what petty thing i hate. how much of a dumb coward he is. all he is is bluster.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I went back 3 pages and saw nothing really,, what's the take on Mulvaney pulling out of the Bolton lawsuit? What was he angling for by trying to join their suit?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wasn't the first call just a 'congratulations for winning' call?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Taerkar posted:

Correct, but we all know that if you call someone to wish them happy birthday, you can later call them to plan a murder. The good call cancels the bad one.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Taerkar posted:

yep.

https://twitter.com/ColtonCarlyle/status/1193737894973849602

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He really doesn't understand that the toothpaste is out of the tube, does he?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zotix posted:

So I went back 3 pages and saw nothing really,, what's the take on Mulvaney pulling out of the Bolton lawsuit? What was he angling for by trying to join their suit?

If I understand correctly (and since it's me, take it with a grain of salt):

Kuppermann's lawyer didn't want him joining because of Mulvaney's press conference last month, because by giving the press conference Mulvaney had already voided whatever fictional privilege he might have been able to claim; since there's no such thing as partial privilege, Kuppermann's lawyer claims, by giving some information out voluntarily, Mulvaney can no longer exercise privilege to avoid talking about the rest of it. And Bolton and Kuppermann don't want to be standing there next to a guy they know will have to testify if called. (A charitable interpretation says that they want the ruling to be generally binding and not a special-occasion this-doesn't-set-a-precedent ruling.)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The first phone call is the most important because it came first, duh.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So is Bolton trying to avoid testifying? Last week I saw headlines that he wanted to testify. I'm out of the loop having started a new job 2 weeks ago so my attention on this stuff has been at a minimal level since.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bolton and kupperman don’t want mulvaney in their lawsuit because he’s one of the primary criminals and they don’t want to be associated with him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He really doesn't understand that the toothpaste is out of the tube, does he?

nah. his brain is all hosed, in his mind all things related to him must be perfect. so he legit can't comprehend saying anything bad about himself even if its to save himself.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

tokyo reject posted:

Nailed to the wall to appeal to who, though? Trump voters LOVE that he is sabotaging anything and everything President Chocolate Thunder did. They literally give zero shits if it harms them. I unfortunately have to deal with CHUDs on a semi-frequent basis, and every time I'm blown away. The notion that you'll convince a Trump voter that the white man who says all the things they've probably literally prayed for their President to say, President Donald J. Trump, made anything Barack Hussein Obama did worse is just outright laughable.

These people don't care. It's not about policy for them.

Can confirm. Someone else noted before in this thread they have family who would literally vote Hitler if it meant ending abortion.

I, too, had a family member like this. (Had. Uncle. Lung Cancer.)

And yeah, it's literally "Salt the Earth". As he choked to death on his lung cancer at our last reunion two years ago, he made it perfectly clear that literally ANYTHING was acceptable as long as it was for team GOP.

It wasn't so much support for anti-abortion or religious reasons or whatever. It was an excuse to vote against the weird people who made him uncomfortable as a 60-something white man. Even when the policies directly hurt him (like slashing ACA Medicaid funding while he is dying of cancer and also is broke and on disability and Medicaid), because those policies were supported by the "weirdos" and their "Communism". (But it's okay if he uses them because "reasons")

He was a paper-thin "I'm not racist but..." type and he literally argued against policies that would help him and his children until his literal death. Because "Welfare Queens" and what not.

Twibbit posted:

I eat them constantly and I am a full Millennial.

Mounds is better. :colbert:

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 12, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idc how lovely politics are, please don't be getting drunk in the morning guys

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

CubanMissile posted:

I eat them constantly and I am a full Millennial.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

AmiYumi posted:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1194041680019755010?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Abortion is really a go-to for a lot of people I would never have expected at first blush to be their justification for chuddery.

"KILLIN BABIES!" is the most disingenuous and outright lie they tell themselves, and also sounds the most outright evil, so of course they all use that one

The lunatic right can justify literally any action they do if they are stopping evil satanic cultists from "killing babies"