Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Rocket series is worth reading in its entirety. Unless you really don't like Deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I like to imagine Hickman's meticulous eight-year story arc bible for the X-Men has a section in it that reads, "MURD BLURDOCK = KEYSTONE TO EVERYTHING!!! NONE OF THIS HOLDS TOGETHER WITHOUT BLURDOCK!"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
When asked why he was co-writing NM, he said there were elements critical to his plans in that book and I'm glad it only took one issue to reveal what that meant.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He said he’ll be doing that with other books in the future.

There’s a preview for issue two of X-Men with Cyclops going “Probably shouldn’t have let the guy who talks to Krakoa go into space with my dad.”

Double dose of Kid Cable this week.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Krakoa, an experiment that was even shorter than Utopia or Genosha because nobody thought to ask the only person who can talk to the sentient, sometimes murderous island everyone lives on to stick around while the proverbial paint is still drying

speaking about the island's victims, Vulcan not only doesn't seem to hold a grudge but is a completely different person from the guy Black Bolt blew up, which makes me think that his back-up mind state is from before the rescue mission in Deadly Genesis. I don't think Darwin has popped up again since he and Monet banged, and he's still part-Asgardian death god? Sway and Petra have to my knowledge stayed dead but I don't see why they can't come back now, unless their deaths predate Xavier's back-ups. I figure if any of that gets touched it's going to be in Adjectiveless X-Men

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked Fallen Angels well enough, with a but:

I don't know if Laura really needs to be a murder machine again. Feels like backsliding.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am getting really irritated with Psylocke's body swapping why didn't they just call Kwannon, Revance?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Because Betsy is Captain Britain now, so Psylocke is available for the character with the body most people associate the name with.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
X-Men #2

Man it was weird to have a family-style dialogue with Scott and Rachel. I've never read a book where they were that comfortable with a family dynamic. I liked it though.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Well, I love how weird-as-hell X-men #2 has gotten already. We’re headfirst into Lost territory, huh?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Also, I hated everything about the concept of Young Hot Twink Cable until this issue, where he’s wonderful.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Also, I hated everything about the concept of Young Hot Twink Cable until this issue, where he’s wonderful.

He’s basically a not as smart Bentley-23. also I wasn’t planning on picking up X-Force but X-Men 2 opening with oh btw Xavier got murdered on this other (big X-Force spoiler) was a real loving what the hell moment.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Boy oh boy I was not feeling anything about fallen angels. The artwork didn't appeal to me and the story doesn't seem that exciting so far. Not every x book will be for me but everything is getting at least 3 issues before I start trimming.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Shees Laura. Xavier's corpse isn't even cold and you're whining about Krakoa being too safe.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 13, 2019

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Boy oh boy I was not feeling anything about fallen angels. The artwork didn't appeal to me and the story doesn't seem that exciting so far. Not every x book will be for me but everything is getting at least 3 issues before I start trimming.

It’s quite “nineties edgy” so far, has an uncompelling cast, and the best character (Laura, duh) is being written way out of character and regressive and one-note. I’m with you. I’ll give it...two more?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think I felt the way about Fallen Angels what most people here felt about X-Force.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Is it just me, or does Fallen Angels feel like one of David Mack's Kabuki comics?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fallen Angels feels like a comic that was written in 2004 that they just forgot to publish until now.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Roth posted:

Fallen Angels feels like a comic that was written in 2004 that they just forgot to publish until now.

what I was thinking, so much xEDGEx and angst

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao fallen angels is so bad,

but x-men is so good

and cable is the worst

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Is it just me, or does Fallen Angels feel like one of David Mack's Kabuki comics?

I've never read Kabuki, but it felt to me like an early Marvel Knights book. I'm kinda down with it, actually, but I can certainly see the distaste. I thought it was better than X-Force, at least.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know what it is, but I quite liked Fallen Angels as well. This whole situation with Betsy and Kwannon and their current states of mind is really interesting for me. There was a time when I fully believed Marvel should just bite the loving bullet and retcon it so that Betsy was always Asian instead of having the embarrassing body-swipe situation, but the way that they've managed to deal with it now -- by fully confronting the implications of the body theft and not shying from dealing with just how problematic and troubling it was for both women, who are now in fact definitively two separate women with their own sets of baggage -- is so vastly preferable and good that I kinda wanna just...savor these stories for how well they're handling this idea.

Meanwhile, X-Men #2 just left me kinda cold. Same old gobbledygook-spouting new character/threat who thinks that our heroes are so primitive or whatever, copypasted from every Hickman book I ever read, check. I have no idea what Rachel's personality is supposed to be. Teen Cable is fun-written, but I'm generally finding it really hard to engage with this character who murdered the actual Cable and everyone's just acting like it's fine and dandy or whatever.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I wish they had picked someone other than Laura to be in Fallen Angels.

I loved X-Men 2; Cyclops spending time with his children was so wholesome.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that Cable genuinely thought giving a grenade as a gift would go over well and not turn out disastrous. Also Rachel's face when Krakoa started to get it on.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This probably isn't the right place to ask, but something has been bothering me ever since I hit a certain checkpoint in my grasp of the Japanese language and have revisited the character formerly known as Revanche...

Kwannon is supposed to be 観音, right? An old fashioned romanization of Kannon? Japanese equivalent of the bodhisattva Guanyin, a.k.a. Kanzeon? It trips me up every time I read it, like if be like if Gambit's last name was spelled "LaBow"

X-Men 2 was cute but I think maybe Yu was a bad choice of artist. Someone who does good comedic reaction faces would've made the material present absolutely sinnggggg

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

OnimaruXLR posted:

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but something has been bothering me ever since I hit a certain checkpoint in my grasp of the Japanese language and have revisited the character formerly known as Revanche...

Kwannon is supposed to be 観音, right? An old fashioned romanization of Kannon? Japanese equivalent of the bodhisattva Guanyin, a.k.a. Kanzeon? It trips me up every time I read it, like if be like if Gambit's last name was spelled "LaBow"

It's just an outdated romanization that got carried over, yeah. You see it in other places too, like the movie 「怪談」 being rendered in English as 'Kwaidan.' Whatever book Claremont pulled it from used the old-fashioned way I'm guessing.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I almost liked Fallen Angels just fine - I guess I like edgy - but not so much with whoever this version of Laura is.

I'm also a little bummed the premise isn't what I thought it was-- is there literally not a single mutant that didn't go to Krakoa? I thought this was going to be a book about mutants who didn't take the deal, for some reason.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
no appearance or even mention of Warren in Fallen Angels, 1/10

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Does he even know that Betsy is back in her original body and Kwannon is in the Asian body? That would make for some awkwardness between him and Kwannon? or they all could just say screw it literally.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Adept Nightingale posted:

I almost liked Fallen Angels just fine - I guess I like edgy - but not so much with whoever this version of Laura is.

I'm also a little bummed the premise isn't what I thought it was-- is there literally not a single mutant that didn't go to Krakoa? I thought this was going to be a book about mutants who didn't take the deal, for some reason.

Well Molly Hayes is still technically a mutant, plus I think a later upcoming arc in New Mutants is them going on outreach to other mutants who haven't joined the cult come to Krakoa.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought FA was real bad at first but as it progressed I started to really like Psylocke. It won me over by the end.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It fits into niche I've never particularly cared for but I get what others see in it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Little Mac posted:

I thought FA was real bad at first but as it progressed I started to really like Psylocke. It won me over by the end.

It's weird. I like the Psylocke stuff but at the same time it feels like Hill hasn't read an appearance of Laura's in the last five years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

It's weird. I like the Psylocke stuff but at the same time it feels like Hill hasn't read an appearance of Laura's in the last five years.

Maybe he really didn't like her depiction in All-New X-Men and didn't read anything that came after?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Dawgstar posted:

Hill seems really chill and actually said that he ballsed up so hopefully his Laura will improve:
https://twitter.com/bryanedwardhill/status/1194672967382269952

FA #1 was the definition of mixed for me, with both art and writing, but the plot and antagonist and themes are all promising. He also promised in another tweet that Kid Cable and X-23 won't be getting together under any circumstances, which is a relief to me (because she needs a girlfriend, obvs):
https://twitter.com/bryanedwardhill/status/1194731645804240896

X-Men #2 was great fun, just a shame about Yu's rigid art.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fallen Angels is defiantly the weakest one for me, but I'll give it a few more issues before dropping it. The stand outs are Marauders and New Mutants, and I really want to see where Excalibur is going.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

This was my first comic book ever:

So, speaking as a life long Cyclops guy, I'm loving X-Men as a Summers focused book where Cyke isn't portrayed as a complete rear end in a top hat and lovely dad for once. Cool Dad Cyclops is great and I'm entirely on board with him being the lead character of the flagship book. :colbert:

As for the rest, I'm loving New Mutants, I like Marauders, I'm kinda cold on Excalibur, and hoping that X-Force and Fallen Angels improve before I decide to pull the plug. I'll give 'em all the Three Episode Issue Test and see how I feel after that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The first Marvel comic I ever remember buying was one that came in this weird gift bag from Toys R. Us.

It was the issue where Wolverine had just recovered from getting his adamantium pulled out and then popped his bone claws for the first time.

It was weird.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ImpAtom posted:

The first Marvel comic I ever remember buying was one that came in this weird gift bag from Toys R. Us.

It was the issue where Wolverine had just recovered from getting his adamantium pulled out and then popped his bone claws for the first time.

It was weird.

Yeah, that wouldn't have been my choice for anyone's first issue. Though mine wasn't a great choice either, because it was a Cyclops solo issue...and the last one he was in for ages. Confused the hell out of ten year old me when he wasn't in the next issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think mine was either an issue from the Dark Phoenix saga or one with the Morlocks, I don't remember too well but it's one of those.