Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

come get these crystals for health and healing

i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i think someone from this thread told me my posting attainment of holding my breath and getting into a bad headspace is patent behjavior and will wear off so take a break so i just stayed like that for 12 hours until i fell asleep in my chair and then went right back to it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

come get these crystals for health and healing

hello i would like 1 posting crystal plz

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I too am a Good Person, and am very secure in that fact.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjpELy1xzc

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Turdfuzz posted:

I've never hurt anyone. Not even Yinlock.
Well, what harm can a baby orangutan really do?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Nae! posted:

I've always been fascinated by the gems that haven't been knocked off in labs. Russians had that poo poo figured out for some of them in the fuckin Jazz age, I don't know how we haven't gotten them all down over the last hundred years.

we do for the ones used in industry. we whack out diamond, ruby, saphire and more in bulk. nobody is making synthetic jade because you can't make mineral crystals for watches or focus lasers with it

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

o7

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

A Handed Missus posted:

is it possible to get a purple medal for writhing on the fainting couch

yes, amethysts are very cheap now

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

im a bad person and it rules. its how i became president

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Beers are dwindling. It's only 8. Posting powers are diminishing.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Plinkey posted:

you have to earn those crystals

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Addamere posted:

more, more!

Let's talk about Campbell Bridges, then.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/aug/13/geologist-campbell-bridges-stabbed-kenya

quote:

Campbell Bridges, who worked for the Central Mining and Investment Corporation with many interests in Africa, was a colourful figure. He was credited with discovering tsavorite – a brilliant dark green gemstone – in the 1960s on the nearby border with Tanzania. According to gem world mythology, he was walking in the countryside when a buffalo charged him and to save his life he leaped into a gully – where he noticed a gleam of green in a rocky outcrop. He was unable to extract a sample in the panic of the moment, was then transferred to another area, and it took him seven years to rediscover the gem, which is as hard as but rarer than emeralds.

His Tanzanian mines were nationalised in the 1970s, and he moved his operations to Kenya – where he studied geological records and located tsavorite again. Initially he lived in a tree house, and claimed to have set a python to watch over the first gems he found. He kept a pair of leopards instead of guard dogs. He was also a special consultant to the famous New York jewellers Tiffany & Co.

(FAST FORWARD FORTY YEARS)

Police in Kenya are hunting a gang believed to have murdered a renowned Scottish gem expert, who was attacked with knives, clubs and spears in what they believe was a dispute over mining rights.

Campbell Bridges, a 71-year-old internationally renowned geologist and gemstone miner, died late on Tuesday near the town of Voi in southern Kenya, where he had owned several mines since the 1970s.

John Ole Shampiro, commanding officer of the local Taita police division, told Reuters that Bridges was attacked by a mob armed with crude weapons, as he drove his pickup truck.

"According to witnesses, a group of about 20 people used a knife to stab the deceased. We believe, according to our investigations, that his death was a result of a mining dispute involving the deceased and the locals."

Thus ever to landlords.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
poisoning myself on the victory that is america

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

nctv broken all is lost

god damnit what happened now?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

they can hurt your feelings probably

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

yes, amethysts are very cheap now

good entry level jo crystal just make sure it isnt too cloudy

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

owns

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

So in the original appontionment footnotes, OMB neflected that it would not impact timely execution of the funding, but - - and I wish I could necall fon you the exact date, but mid- to late August, they changed the footnote. It actually pnobably would have been night about August 20. They changed the phnasing, and they didn't include that sentence that said that it would not impact the timely execution.
THE CHAIRMAN: And I think you said that at that point, or maybe soon theneaften, it became clean that fully a fifth of the funding would not be available to be obligated because of the de1ay. Is that night?
MS. COOPER: So I received diffenent estimates at diffenent points in time of what would be possible. And at one point, in August,
DSCA actually thought it would be, you know, well oven $100 million

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Addamere posted:

they can hurt your feelings probably

thats inexcusable and should not be tolerated

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Plinkey posted:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DryGoods posted:

you have to earn those crystals

but i am an entitled millenial that likes crystals

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're really strong. Stronger than a baby should be.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

DryGoods posted:

i have some old copies of Air Wolf on vhs if you need something to watch

air wolf is cancelled

also i think in the pilot he does something rapey so it really is cancelled

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Turdfuzz posted:

hey I love the new threads trump
that's a snazzy lookin photo!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hmmmm that seems bad

Everyone knows that your evil twin has a beard.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

god damnit what happened now?

psp-tv.com is no more, looks like

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

MysteriousStranger posted:

we do for the ones used in industry. we whack out diamond, ruby, saphire and more in bulk. nobody is making synthetic jade because you can't make mineral crystals for watches or focus lasers with it

Sure, but man, I bet you could market the poo poo of dick-pills made from synthetic jade in China

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

punchymcpunch posted:

it's this

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
ive seen you hurt someone, turdfuzz. but it was so long ago i don't remember. maybe baloogan.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm just a person. Being good isn't a binary, it's a process. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone hurts other people sometimes. It's part of being a person and interacting with others, of having relationships, of having friendships, because people have feelings and those feelings are difficult and complex. What matters is how you respond to that, and how you decide to deal with your own behavior - even when that behavior is bad or you regret it.

I absolutely agree. Thank you. Some days are worse than others for me, so I will do my best to remember this post and move forward.

helta posted:

Beers are dwindling. It's only 8. Posting powers are diminishing.

I can't drink tonight, I'm working the morning shift!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
why do south carolinians keep electing lindsay o graham, idgi

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

ive seen you hurt someone, turdfuzz. but it was so long ago i don't remember. maybe baloogan.

baloogan doesn't count

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

buddy u dont have to tell us

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Turdfuzz posted:

They're really strong. Stronger than a baby should be.

how strong can a baby ape really be. haven't seen any orangutans at a tractor pull

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nae! posted:

Gems are fascinating to me from a commercial stand-point because the most popular, well-known ones (diamonds, ruby/sapphire/emerald) have made their way to the top due not only to marketing, but also to their availability relative to other gems. The idea that any of them are rare can be dismissed by the fact that you need enough of them to be able to find them for sales purposes, but there's a point at which something becomes so common that the floor falls out from under the whole market.

Examples: Amethyst used to be considered a 'Precious' gem, due largely to its depth of color, but then somebody found an absolute fuckload of it in Brazil and the whole market cratered. Now you can get the poo poo in earrings at Kohls, when it used to be on the level of rubies. Emeralds went through a similar crisis in the late 20th century when everybody woke up one morning and realized they were treated with oils to keep them looking like broken-up down dogshit. The idea that emeralds weren't perfect freaked people out and the value plummeted, but in recent years it seems to have stabilized as treatment disclosure has been mandated by industry regulators.

Other things I could talk about forever: diamonds having a coded industry price sheet that all the jewelers use to make wholesale purchases, effectively rendering diamonds a commodity; middle eastern dudes tricking ARE TROOPS into buying composite rubies that break apart when you drip lemon juice on them; the owner of a famous garnet mine getting extremely murdered by all of the workers, who finally got sick of the white man's bullshit.

The gem industry is a horror show but you can't deny that the horrors are fascinating.

I would read the hell out of a gem industry effort post

Gem hunting is a super cool hobby and great way to exercise, I've got a couple boxes of really cool stuff

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

punchymcpunch posted:

air wolf is cancelled

jan michael vincent died before he could face the music

the perfect crime

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nae! posted:

I've always been fascinated by the gems that haven't been knocked off in labs. Russians had that poo poo figured out for some of them in the fuckin Jazz age, I don't know how we haven't gotten them all down over the last hundred years.

Also the other fun thing is the most commonly found tourmaline is also the most spiritually powerful one according to the hippies. It is black and opaque so not exactly a high quality gem.

so an enterprising artisanal miner could sell American mined, ethically sourced black tourmaline for quite a penny by hooking up with one of the SoCal mines and doing some marketing.

Other fun tidbit is they come in an awesome watermelon green and pink that was discarded by miners in the 1910s and 1920s because the pure pink was more valuable for export to China. So you can go through the tailings and fine some great gems some dude threw away 100 years ago.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

mags posted:

psp-tv.com is no more, looks like

wait for real oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Turdfuzz posted:

nobodys seen yinlock for months. what the gently caress did you do