Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Niche question. Does anyone know if Apple sells refurbished laptops in Denmark? Or have any advice on the best place in Denmark to buy a MacBook Pro- I need one with a danish keyboard but don’t speak the language...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Homepods are 100 off at Best Buy FYI. $199

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are Homepods good?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Are Homepods good?

I love mine and use it every day.

It sounds great and its nice to be able to play music in the kitchen.

I have 0 regrets getting mine on launch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Piggy Smalls posted:

Homepods are 100 off at Best Buy FYI. $199

Also, $30 off $300 American Express promotion at Best Buy if you have an AMEX card and plan on spending another $100 on whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

enojy posted:

Also, $30 off $300 American Express promotion at Best Buy if you have an AMEX card and plan on spending another $100 on whatever.

2 homepods for $370 ain't a bad deal. I got two for $450 total and felt like I cheated the system.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does newer Macbooks support hardware WebM/VP9 decoding in Firefox? I know my old 2015 doesn't but the CPU/iGPU doesn't have the extensions.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You guys ever get the white spots on your screen? I'm starting to see them on my 15" mbp. I think I still have AppleCare but wtf are they? I don't notice them in dark mode though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably something to do with your video card. On desktops I've seen recommenations to bake the video card in the oven.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Please don't troll me.

That was a nightmare with my iMac. Baked it 3 times.

drat you AMD for craping out on every Mac I've had

Yeah. I'm working with video and hear pressure cracks and pops. Radeon Pro 460 4 GB.

Some videos online say it's from something else. I dunno. I just don't want the down time. Is the Genius Bar rammed early December?

Mura spots? They have appeared like freckles all over the screen. I don't think that's GPU related

Housh fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 9, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess I'm the go to MBP guy at work now.

Another person brought in their 9,2 Late 2012 15 MBP to see what we could do with it and for $100 we upgraded to a 500gb SSD and 16gb of ram (probably overkill but whatever).

Its pretty amazing how well this machine holds up. The screen is whack (she's old and doesn't care) and its pretty heavy but overall its a solid machine for being 7 years old at this point. She's easily going to get another 2+ years out of it which seems a little crazy thinking about it.

Oh and her battery cycle count was 78 lol so it shows how much she actually used it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Both of my Macs are from 2010. I do 99% of my stuff on iOS so I don’t really care.

The Mac Pro is still actually pretty decent for gaming with a Radeon 580.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
After a couple of weeks of light use with the 2019 MacBook Pro I’m not sure if I will get used to the keyboard. One thing is that it feels strange but now I suddenly write like an rear end with lots of mistakes. I will (probably?) get used to it over time and adjust but at this stage I’m thinking about returning it and instead find a used 2015 with a (IMO) proper keyboard. It will mostly get light use anyway so a 2015 would probably hold up fine.

(Then I could spend the extra money on an iPad as well....)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You won't get used to it. I've been trying since 2016. They are changing the keyboards soon for a reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have a 2014 and a 2019, both for work (different jobs), and after four months with the 2019 I’m now actively moving all my bespoke apps and dev environments from it to the 2014 so I can spend as little time on the 2019 as possible

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xabi posted:

After a couple of weeks of light use with the 2019 MacBook Pro I’m not sure if I will get used to the keyboard. One thing is that it feels strange but now I suddenly write like an rear end with lots of mistakes. I will (probably?) get used to it over time and adjust but at this stage I’m thinking about returning it and instead find a used 2015 with a (IMO) proper keyboard. It will mostly get light use anyway so a 2015 would probably hold up fine.

I have a 2014 MBP and the original 10.5" iPad pro (which I think is the same as the current "iPad") and it's a fantastic combo. No Sidecar though.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Finding out that the 2015 MBP won't do Sidecar killed any interest I might have had in upgrading to Catalina. In a way I thank them for making my life simpler.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

You won't get used to it. I've been trying since 2016. They are changing the keyboards soon for a reason.

Yeah, the reason is mechanical reliability.

I prefer the feel of the newer keyboard. The lower travel and “clickiness” of the keys make my fingers fly on the keyboard. It’s so much better than the mushy chicklets of the previous pre-2016 rMBPs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

I prefer the feel of the newer keyboard. The lower travel and “clickiness” of the keys make my fingers fly on the keyboard. It’s so much better than the mushy chicklets of the previous pre-2016 rMBPs.

Yeah same.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm sure most people are fine with the keyboard but it's clear that many people still hate it years later. Not the majority or anything but a significant portion. It has to play a role when even the Daring Fireball guy and Marco Arment say typing on it sucks.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I have an early 2011 mbp and can’t run os x 10.14. The computer has a nice SSD and 16gb of ram so it has no speed issues. I have been waiting forever for a better keyboard. Hopefully 2020 is my year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I have an early 2011 mbp and can’t run os x 10.14. The computer has a nice SSD and 16gb of ram so it has no speed issues. I have been waiting forever for a better keyboard. Hopefully 2020 is my year.

I mean it can.

There was a link posted up thread for a Catalina installer for machines like yours.

AFAIK it only has issues with super old machines so yours shouldn’t have any issues.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I haven’t had a notebook in years so haven’t gotten used to the new keyboard...but everything you said is pretty much how I felt about Apple's laptop keyboards vs whatever desktop keyboards (even nice mechanical ones). I loved when Apple finally came out with the aluminum keyboards way back. And Magic Trackpad for that matter.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cowofwar posted:

You should absolutely use the DosDude installer linked above. It works, it really does. I've got Mojave running on an '09 iMac and it's clear that that bottleneck is the hardware, most notably the stupid physical hard drive that I would replace except I'm afraid of breaking the screen.

I bet Catalina will run great on your MBP.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

asecondduck posted:

You should absolutely use the DosDude installer linked above. It works, it really does. I've got Mojave running on an '09 iMac and it's clear that that bottleneck is the hardware, most notably the stupid physical hard drive that I would replace except I'm afraid of breaking the screen.

I bet Catalina will run great on your MBP.

quote:

AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series graphics acceleration: Currently, it is not possible to achieve full graphics acceleration under Catalina on any machines that use a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. If you have a machine with one of these GPUs installed, I'd advise upgrading it if possible (can be done in 2010/2011 iMacs, iMac11,x-12,x), disabling the dedicated GPU if using a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2/8,3, instructions to do so can be found here), or not installing Catalina. Running Catalina without full graphics acceleration will result in extremely poor system performance.
Sounds like not ideal for me. My system has a AMD HD6750M 1024MB dedicated GPU and Intel HD graphics 3000 512MB.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

Update: I have returned it.

Now, I will have to decide what to spend the money on instead (because, of course, the money must be spent on something).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's nothing to buy. I'm hanging onto my ancient 2012 Macbook Air until new stuff comes out. I already did the $130 battery replacement at the Apple store a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised that they cleaned it as well. I think they air blasted some dust and wiped the screen clean and the body too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cowofwar posted:

Sounds like not ideal for me. My system has a AMD HD6750M 1024MB dedicated GPU and Intel HD graphics 3000 512MB.

Ah crap, I forgot about that. High Sierra is as far as your laptop will go, then.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Xabi posted:

Update: I have returned it.

Now, I will have to decide what to spend the money on instead (because, of course, the money must be spent on something).

iPad Mini, my dude (or Internet/Apple rehab). Not hugely fond of my 2018's keyboard, but it's a work computer and use it in clamshell 75% of the time anyway.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The Mini is a bit too Mini for my taste but I'm thinking about going all in and get the 11" Pro. I could easily just get the iPad or iPad Air but I use Lightroom quite a lot and the Pencil 2 looks much more practical.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Xabi posted:

The Mini is a bit too Mini for my taste but I'm thinking about going all in and get the 11" Pro. I could easily just get the iPad or iPad Air but I use Lightroom quite a lot and the Pencil 2 looks much more practical.

That’ll work too. I know I could get by with just my work MacBook. Freaking love iPads though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I bought a used MBP 2015 recently that didn't come with a duck head adapter for the power brick. Is it safe to be an aftermarket duck head on Amazon for a few bucks? If not, what are some options for obtaining one?

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like the 16” is coming this week. It’d be strange for Apple to skip the holiday season unless they have major manufacturing issues.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/11/16-inch-macbook-pro-hands-on-event/

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

eames posted:

Looks like the 16” is coming this week. It’d be strange for Apple to skip the holiday season unless they have major manufacturing issues.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/11/16-inch-macbook-pro-hands-on-event/

They are releasing AirPods Pro Max for the people with a colossal auditory system.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I saw a post on reddit claiming that a 14” MBP would follow up the 16 early next year. This seems like a logical conclusion to make but have there been any more substantial claims on the this?

A 14” screen in a 13” chassis would be pretty nice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Totally Huge posted:

I saw a post on reddit claiming that a 14” MBP would follow up the 16 early next year. This seems like a logical conclusion to make but have there been any more substantial claims on the this?

A 14” screen in a 13” chassis would be pretty nice.

It must be true because I would buy one immediately

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now for the thread pool on insane new feature that nobody asked for and renders it a poo poo product

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Entire top case is now a trackpad”

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I cant wait for the outrage when it's those AirTags that's been leaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
That would be the logical roll out of a new implementation. Low yield high margin first then once the supply chain is mature download it in to the higher turnover units. I think this is pretty standard operation for apple.