Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bryan is super hung ho about this “it’s time to grow your audience” thing when the match was clearly a one-time special thing that followed a hugely story-laden match that was arguably even more terrifying and violent. It’s a drop in the ocean and Bryan is making a mountain out of a molehill here for some ineffable reason.

Also the lights out match had hells of story, it’s had the most long-running and common thread throughout the show’s first few eps so far. I don’t understand why Bryan thinks there’s no story to it, it’s been almost all buildup.

I’ve seen better technical work, for sure, but somehow I don’t think that was the point of the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I don't get why people are so worked up over all this. Who cares what they rate a match if you personally enjoy?

It's reaaaaaaaally not hard to grasp that their response to this match is uniquely over the top and childish.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I thought Bryan's point was that there was no story in the match itself, it was just Mox and Omega hitting each other with poo poo. I'd argue that the story was Omega constantly trying to one-up Moxley at his own game but coming up short in the end because Mox is too dumb and so damned crazy to lose a match like that.

But whatever. Podcast man didnt like match so what.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
i was more taken with vinny's "i was bored because i've seen it all before" which is a hot take

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Seams posted:

I thought Bryan's point was that there was no story in the match itself, it was just Mox and Omega hitting each other with poo poo. I'd argue that the story was Omega constantly trying to one-up Moxley at his own game but coming up short in the end because Mox is too dumb and so damned crazy to lose a match like that.

But whatever. Podcast man didnt like match so what.

That’s pretty much my take as well. They can like or not like the match and we can argue all we want about the UFC reporter thinking a gimmicked death match is too dangerous, but saying there’s no story is absurd.

Also the bit about Omega coming from the extreme CZW scene was real weird and completely contrary both to reality and to the stated story.

I don’t really get wasting time being mad about someone not liking something you like though.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I don’t really get wasting time being mad about someone not liking something you like though.

what the hell else are these forums for

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've now transitioned into the age old rational internet position of just hating the match I haven't seen because I'm sick of everyone talking about it.

Its the circle of the internet.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
A way more interesting point of discussion on the podcast was how the Full Gear numbers will turn out, and how AEW's PPV buys will relate to their TV numbers and their initial pre-TV run of PPVs. That is to say, having a TV show might end up depressing PPV buys relative to those first couple because the general public has multiple avenues to watch these guys now. It's a good problem to have and probably worth keeping in mind in case people decide to freak out about a lower than expected number later this week.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The_Rob posted:

Dave has the strongest posters spirit I’ve ever seen. All that man does is post.

He writes the great gatsby every week, imagine if posting was his real job.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

i was more taken with vinny's "i was bored because i've seen it all before" which is a hot take

vinny has watched a lot of juggalo championship wrestling

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jordan7hm posted:

Also the bit about Omega coming from the extreme CZW scene was real weird and completely contrary both to reality and to the stated story.
That was weird, as was Dave's "actually, wait, Omega did his hardcore U.S. indie run in JAPW, sorry about that" follow-up in the daily update when Omega's run was in workrate matches at the title match level a decade after JAPW dropped extreme/death match stuff. And I still can't get over saying it went "five times farther" than BJPW. You don't need to be current on the death match scene to know that this was significantly tamer than the promotion that opened up with poo poo like the piranha death match and has only gotten more gruesome since.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

davidbix posted:

That was weird, as was Dave's "actually, wait, Omega did his hardcore U.S. indie run in JAPW, sorry about that" follow-up in the daily update when Omega's run was in workrate matches at the title match level a decade after JAPW dropped extreme/death match stuff. And I still can't get over saying it went "five times farther" than BJPW. You don't need to be current on the death match scene to know that this was significantly tamer than the promotion that opened up with poo poo like the piranha death match and has only gotten more gruesome since.

Yeah until I see a Kenzan, or Sakuda getting a needle through both of his cheeks. I’m gonna say Dave is pretty clueless here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

Not explicitly no. But it's implicit in every 'god, haven't you watched every Onita match or all of BJW's last year?' response, as if people who don't like deathmatch wrestling are required to have watched all of it to have an opinion.

People only mentioned BJW in direct response to the assertion that this was worse than BJW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It is everyone's sacred duty to vote Mox vs Omega as MOTY in the Observer Awards.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The_Rob posted:

Yeah until I see a Kenzan, or Sakuda getting a needle through both of his cheeks. I’m gonna say Dave is pretty clueless here.
I hate to say it, and I'm not trying to "OK, boomer" him or anything like that, but this is kind of exposing how much Dave relies on his memory and how much that could be a liability as he ages. I mean, I've also benefitted journalistically and as a historian from having a weirdly great long-term memory, too, and I'd hate to lose that when I get older, but I've also been building a massive digital trove of historical documents and resources over the years, while Dave...just kind of relies on his memory and his own writings. As big a fan of Kenny Omega as he is, thinking that Omega did a lot of death matches in the Delaware valley is...really weird and maybe even concerning? I'm probably overreacting, but it's such a specifically weird mistake to make.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

MassRafTer posted:

It is everyone's sacred duty to vote Mox vs Omega as MOTY in the Observer Awards.

finally a democratic platform i can get behind

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
You heard it here first, folks. Shave Seltzer is dying of brain dementia.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

I'm going to learn how to vote in the Observer Awards specifically to do this.

Semi-related, somebody tell me how to vote in the Observer Awards.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hopkins FBI posted:

You heard it here first, folks. Shave Seltzer is dying of brain dementia.
pfft

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Disgusted with Bix for violating HIPPO by revealing Dave's condition.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Should've skirted around it and just made vague allusions to it, like Dave does with Vince.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

the Janela/Starr ironman deathmatch from Americanrana was better

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MJeff posted:

I'm going to learn how to vote in the Observer Awards specifically to do this.

Semi-related, somebody tell me how to vote in the Observer Awards.

It's open to all subscribers, you just email your ballot to Dave using the copy-paste format he'll post in the newsletter.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

the RD Evans/Orange Cassidy match from Americanrana was better

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
I didn't like the match at all but I'm glad that other people loved it. Dave and Bryan's responses to the match were weird but I don't think they were in bad faith.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave’s kinda walking back his Omega/Mox hate on WOR this morning :xd: so kudos to whoever called that one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Oh my loving god the This Is Your Life segment story :xd:

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

jesus WEP posted:

Dave’s kinda walking back his Omega/Mox hate on WOR this morning :xd: so kudos to whoever called that one

we were thinking a few months or be retreated, not a few days.

but then again, Dave is gonna Dave!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

Oh my loving god the This Is Your Life segment story :xd:

Absolutely loving INCREDIBLE.

Vince HATED that segment, to the point he wanted to run down to the ring and stop it while it was in progress, and was being talked down by guys in the back. When the rating came in, Rock and Mankind went to his office to rub it in his face but he wasn't there.... until they realized he was hiding behind the couch :laffo:

Also I loved the segment where they started running through the scenarios of Ricochet trying to date Randy Orton's daughter :laugh:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Absolutely loving INCREDIBLE.

Vince HATED that segment, to the point he wanted to run down to the ring and stop it while it was in progress, and was being talked down by guys in the back. When the rating came in, Rock and Mankind went to his office to rub it in his face but he wasn't there.... until they realized he was hiding behind the couch :laffo:

Also I loved the segment where they started running through the scenarios of Ricochet trying to date Randy Orton's daughter :laugh:
I enjoyed that Dave kept bringing up the 15lb matchka baby and aleksandr Karelin

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

lol Bryan got so pissy at that

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYoksGziKZU

lol at the part where dave is like "I've seen this argument so many times" and Bryan responds "You need to hang out with a different crowd, dude."

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That WOR is an all-timer. Bryan getting salty over Dave moderating his opinion somewhat about Mox/Omega, 15lb matchka baby, the Vince story, Ricochet cheating on his partner by dating Orton’s daughter to impress Daddy Randall, Bryan’s “you need to hang out with different people”.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah I actually didn’t really like the first ten minutes because I’ve already heard and read like 10x more words about Mox/Omega than I wanted to, but the Raw recap was hilarious from start to finish

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Seams posted:

Ricochet cheating on his partner by dating Orton’s daughter to impress Daddy Randall

What the gently caress?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is such an unsafe deathmatch. For example, the two wrestling moves they did.

(Which agreed, that ddt looked scary as hell.)

Dave gotta Dave, and I’m not going to complain.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

What the gently caress?

Not only that, he brought her home past her curfew

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hell yeah Bryan is super hung

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

OctoberCountry posted:

Not only that, he brought her home past her curfew

I'm not sure I want to know if it's a story or a shoot. Curfew doesn't make her sound... of age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You, American, idiot: A parent can’t impose their will on an adult child
Me, Irish, intellectual:

https://twitter.com/nocontextirish/status/1191399948664868867?s=21