Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

rod eat the pinecones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

T-man posted:

rod eat the pinecones

He did. he says they tasted like eating pine cones in the tweet.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
that is genius.

now i want to convince foreigners to eat weird poo poo and pass it off as unique cuisine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Laurenz posted:

that is genius.

now i want to convince foreigners to eat weird poo poo and pass it off as unique cuisine.

I'm convinced that's what was happening in the monkey brains scene in Temple of Doom.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Skwirl posted:

I'm convinced that's what was happening in the monkey brains scene in Temple of Doom.

beheading a dozen monkeys is a lot of dedication for a joke but i respect it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Eschenique posted:

The first war the US ever lost unconditionally. Nice work boomers.

I did some reading on the Vietnam War. And by the later parts of the war it was obvious to the soldiers that the war wasn't going anywhere. So instead of hoping for victory the soldiers were just trying to make it through the war. Even now and then a new batch of young officers were shipped from the US and there would inevitable encourage very active participation by the soldiers. Which got soldiers killed in efforts that were wasted anyway. These soldiers would sometime be "fragged" by soldiers who wanted to live through the war themselves. Fragging was when soldiers threw a grenade into an officers residence at night. Since it would be hard to prove who threw a specific grenade.

One of these very enthusiastic young officers was Colin Powell. Soldiers were so determined to frag young Colin Powell that he had to sleep in a different building every single night to avoid being assassinated.

Wasn't always a grenade, sometimes there was a sniper no one took cover from that only shot the officer. That really only happened way out there though.

And even in the beginning of the war it was pretty obvious, I think that's part of the reason my dad wasn't so upset he got really bad malaria partway through his tour.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
One bad thing about Trump is that he's made draft dodging uncool.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/MarcherLord1/status/1193259681256558592

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Why are anti-Imperialists against Imperialist actions :downs:? Must be inconsistent ideology."

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

hmmm its almost like they're anti war.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Skwirl posted:

Ishboo on All That pulled this sort of thing all the time, and they got away with it because they never said what country he was from.

christmas boots posted:

I like to wander into Persona 4 fan spaces and say that Naoto is/isn't trans.

Trap sprung I guess, but Naoto refers to herself in the third person using female pronouns. She's a cis woman who dresses as a man for work reasons. Then again, her shadow self would make a lot more sense if she were trans, so it's possible they started down that road and then chickened out and pulled a "no homo" at the last second.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You mad when we steal oil, your mad when we steal Lithium, what can we steal?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Laurenz posted:

that is genius.

I'm convinced most "authentic" ethnic food is just this

Content:
https://twitter.com/ConnorSouthard/status/1193954118185803776?s=19

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Nov 12, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Close, I think. Isn't most "authentic" ethnic food is just old peasant dishes of whatever grows abundant, local, and cheap.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mind the walrus posted:

Close, I think. Isn't most "authentic" ethnic food is just old peasant dishes of whatever grows abundant, local, and cheap.

Generally, but I'm certain most of them are the most disgusting examples of it while the rest are things they made up to gently caress with colonizers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

At least a few must be, but then again I think about how famine used to be a real, regular "thing" all over the world and a lot of those dishes circle back around the plausible.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Content:

Tyler is being dumb but I don't really blame a guy who has literally been banned from countries because of song lyrics to be sensitive about that kind of thing. It just doesn't really have to do with people booing Drake.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MizPiz posted:

Content:

Always be suspicious of people who immediately jump to the defense of pedophiles, especially when they jump to the defense of guys who got caught on camera doing it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tyler is being dumb but I don't really blame a guy who has literally been banned from countries because of song lyrics to be sensitive about that kind of thing. It just doesn't really have to do with people booing Drake.

He got temporarily banned from the UK, and the song lyrics were specifically about rape and murder. Considering how fast he's coming to Drake's defense, I wouldn't be surprised if it's another one of those "Oh, his lyrics were real thoughts" kind of things.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh that rap artist who likes to layer everything in six layers of irony and puppetmaster defenses might not actually be a mastermind and is really just an imbecile? Who would have predicted.

me, I called that about the dude years ago. Never trust performative irony

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It reminds me of William Control. Used to be one of my favorite electronic artists, then it came out that he had been running a sex cult and manipulating mentally ill girls into it with just enough legal leeway to avoid rape and assault charges. You go back and read all his lyrics and you realize that he was actually speaking completely literally about wanting girls locked in cages and dying for him!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Good news, foreigners (and women?)

https://twitter.com/bikerhawk/status/1194056544549249025

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:911:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jurgan posted:

Trap sprung I guess, but Naoto refers to herself in the third person using female pronouns. She's a cis woman who dresses as a man for work reasons. Then again, her shadow self would make a lot more sense if she were trans, so it's possible they started down that road and then chickened out and pulled a "no homo" at the last second.

I don't think they ever actually intended Naoto to be trans (we have in-development plans for that game and there's no indication they ever considered that direction), but I agree that it would make for a stronger story if she was. As it stands she's got the same conflict as Kanji of 'I thought I was LGBT because I latched on to superficial parts of how people see those people, but it turns out I'm not'. Which is a totally valid angle to have in a story all about teenagers dealing with teenage thoughts and feelings, but having it twice doesn't add anything new, while you would get value out of someone having those doubts and turning out to be right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You’d really have to redo her arc significantly though otherwise rather than rejecting the whole idea that there’s a conflict between gender and occupation, Naoto would just solve it by turning out to have been the “right” gender the entire time.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Every single time

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/567367875242242048

:nallears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That's been up since 2015, I don't think you needed to screenshot that particular idiocy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

That's been up since 2015, I don't think you needed to screenshot that particular idiocy.

I just saw someone retweeting it now, so I'm not sure if it will be staying there long.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Fair

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I remember tutoring my nephew with a proto common core approach. I didn't get it so I taught him wrong. He knew I was wrong but couldn't articulate it. So i had him teach me how to do it. I was tutoring him so he only kinda got it but I was immediately angry. I had been taught bullshit math.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

I had been taught bullshit math.

This is at the core of the issue. Boomers and Chuds really really don't like it when their kids exceed them at anything (unless said success comes with a direct monetary/social bonus for them).

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Helping my son once, with his textbook, and it made sense. Much of it was how I had learned to do math in my head, because I've always been bad at math.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Adults have been complaining about how their children are taught math at least since the boomers were in school themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

That song, from 1965, is basically every complaint about Common Core math just with slightly different details on the actual math.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mr.Radar posted:

Adults have been complaining about how their children are taught math at least since the boomers were in school themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

That song, from 1965, is basically every complaint about Common Core math just with slightly different details on the actual math.

i always thought this song was great because "you can't take three from two, two is less than three, so you look at the four in the tens place" is exactly how i was taught to subtract so that made perfect sense, while subtraction with carrying remains bizarre to me.

it's me, the millennial who learned the new math

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dreamin of semen posted:

Hrrhhmhmmmm :eng99:

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a trans person in a Kojipro game, I feel like it'd be handled pretty well (well, maybe not if that person was Quiet), but holy poo poo if that theory had been correct it would have been deeply concerning. "farewell sausage" could have been the grossest ARG hint in history.

That said, if I ever get bottom surgery, I'll be posting that twitter screencap to every group chat I'm in asap. Hello elderly relatives, I have farewelled sausage

I have been using this as my discord avatar ever since my cock got yeeted:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shbobdb posted:

I remember tutoring my nephew with a proto common core approach. I didn't get it so I taught him wrong. He knew I was wrong but couldn't articulate it. So i had him teach me how to do it. I was tutoring him so he only kinda got it but I was immediately angry. I had been taught bullshit math.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Helping my son once, with his textbook, and it made sense. Much of it was how I had learned to do math in my head, because I've always been bad at math.
Out of curiosity, can someone give a tl;dr of the current educational methods for doing a math problem in your head?

When I was a kid, back in the Pleistocene (i.e. the late 1980s), it was the "imagine doing it on paper and try like hell to remember all the little numbers you wrote in all the various places" method which never ever worked at all for anyone. The only mental math method that ever worked for me was the "pick the nearest 'easy' numbers and then make the corrections back to the actual problem" method, which I had to make up myself because no one ever taught it. Like if it's 21*32, start with 20*30 which is easy, 600. (In case that's not easy, 10*30 is easy, then double that.) Then correct it to 21*30 = one more 30 than (20*30) which was 600, so 630, and then correct the other figure to 21*32 which is two more 21s than (21*30), so that's 630 + (21*2) = 630+42 = 672. It looks a lot more complicated in text than it is in your head, at least if your brain works along similar lines to mine. Anyway, please say they're finally teaching something like this instead of saying you're wrong, you need to imagine the algorithm we do on paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I just love the sheer audacity.