Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Conman or coolaid drinker is a academic debate for better times and doesnt really matter because both lead to evil. Also human nature says that most conmen become the con so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

So apparently nazis have been disrupting TPUSA events recently because they don't think TPUSA is racist enough to meet their standards of conservatism. Charlie Kirk hosted a talk with Don Jr. today and the nazis showed up in force, so rather than get criticized they decided to cancel the Q&A portion and then promptly got booed off stage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/paleonick1776/status/1193651952460021761

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

of all the RW charlatans, you can rest assured that dinesh doesnt believe a loving word he writes. He's an utterly shameless grifter and he's 100% dedicated to his insane grift in a way that you almost have to hand it to him. But, yknow, don't.

Yeah as always the dril tweet about not having to hand it to ISIS. Also just the general problem that there's no actual way to distinguish between insane dedication to a grift and just actual insanity.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Climate change is a political racket!" bleated the pseudointellectual and noted felon, who has made a political racket out of sharing his dumbass opinions.

Fixed that for you. Never forget that D'Souza is indeed a felon.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Was Y2K even a thing? Did people making computers in 1990 not expect 2000 to be a thing? Why would a computer even care about the transition to year 2000? Year 65535 seems more problematic.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Eschenique posted:

Was Y2K even a thing? Did people making computers in 1990 not expect 2000 to be a thing? Why would a computer even care about the transition to year 2000? Year 65535 seems more problematic.

It wasn't a thing largely because a lot of people spent a lot of time clearing old rear end legacy computers that were made when saving two integers worth of space was worthwhile. Things like banking registers and such which would probably go pretty screwy if you suddenly went -99 years of interest and so forth.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Eschenique posted:

the place i worked had their system blow out during the rollover because of Y2k and we needed to update it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Manuel Calavera posted:

Fixed that for you. Never forget that D'Souza is indeed a felon.

I actually had forgotten that, so I appreciate the reminder.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Eschenique posted:

new computer parts were really expensive back then and in '90 it was a combo of "it'll be cheaper to fix this later" (correct) and the same mentality that puts profits before future consequences (lol)

like a new budget computer in 1990 was quite a bit over a thousand bucks; Toshiba made 486 laptops in the mid-90s with a netbook form factor (no sound, no modem, no ethernet, just a PCMCIA card slot, and it was 1.5" thick with a 7" TFT screen) for upwards of $6000, and that's in 1994 dollars

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Eschenique posted:

As others said, it was very much a concern. Here in 2019 we STILL have some major industries operating on code written back in the 70s and 80s because it's cheaper to keep custom-ordering hardware to keep things running than it is to build a whole new suite of programs from the ground up.

The concerns ranged from the plausible (power plants poo poo themselves, the global financial system goes haywire) to the insane (all the nukes are gonna launch and kill us all). In the end, there were isolated problems, but in the years leading up to 2000, people took it seriously and put in the work to keep everything working as it should.

Probably the biggest actual effect was people flipping off lights and stuff at midnight to make the rest of the party think everything stopped working

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Did anyone else's boomer parent buy boxed "Y2k protection" programs at like the grocery store for their 1998 computer?

I think I still have it somewhere along with a yearly McAfee CD.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I was on ICQ at midnight on Y2K

Nothing happened to me or anyone else I was chatting with

:colbert:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Eschenique posted:

Did anyone else's boomer parent buy boxed "Y2k protection" programs at like the grocery store for their 1998 computer?

LOL, I don't remember even hearing of such things - it sounds like a smart grift, though. Y2K WAS when my parents started stockpiling food and water. Not TONS of it, but a second freezer, shelves in the basement fully stocked, six 5-gallon jugs of bottled water, etc.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Eschenique posted:

You have to remember that banks and other organizations used old programing languages like FORTRAN that was made in the 1950s, there's probably some places that still do.
And these were made at a time when every bit and byte counted, using 2 digits instead of 4 for the year made a hell lot of sense and saved your company in storage and calculation costs.

Depending on how the code was written (by people now in their 70s or dead) you could get potential problems.
Like how suddenly it thinks you your mortgage you started in 1999 hasn't been paid for 99 years 11 months the next month so fires off an automatic foreclosure.
Or it thinks your 1 year mortgage is completed and so auto closes it, making the bank lose money.

poo poo wasn't going to explode or end the world, but it could have caused a lot of legal headaches and money lost when they could have checked for a fraction of the cost.
Of course the media at the time blew it out of all proportion.

Edit: I think I remember reading that hospital equipment needed to be software updated for Y2K

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 11, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eschenique posted:

Was Y2K even a thing?
It was a blip compared to Y 2 J

quote:

Did people making computers in 1990 not expect 2000 to be a thing?
More like, as other said, things written in 1979 or whatever weren't thought up with the idea that they would still be used at the turn of the century.

The US's 2nd largest school district still used a DOS based student database system as late as 2014, and it was only really overhauled because of a 20 year old court case. All command line poo poo that needed a workaround to function in Win7.

And, again as others have said, the poo poo our banking software runs on?

Anyway, like the computers built in 1995 were likely to be ok, but everyone was just waiting to see if a random program or whatever would not handle that poo poo. It was kind of wild.

To take it from a more modern perspective, when Apple was releasing the latest OS update, a bunch of smaller application developers were warning people to put off the updates, because their poo poo still used 32bit code and Apple decided it was 64bit only going forward.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 11, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Eschenique posted:

There was definitely some grifters who cashed in on it. I remember seeing an ethernet cable with a "y2k compatible" sticker on its packaging.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Probably the biggest actual effect was people flipping off lights and stuff at midnight to make the rest of the party think everything stopped working

I was going to do that, but we were out at the time.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ponzicar posted:

There was definitely some grifters who cashed in on it. I remember seeing an ethernet cable with a "y2k compatible" sticker on its packaging.

Monster had to get started somewhere.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

One of the main things I remember about Y2K was the hysteria that these massive companies would be caught unprepared. In the 90's I worked for a company that made support equipment for power plants. I was involved on the fringe of a project that involved replacing a GE turbine with a Siemens turbine. The plant required a minimum 10% increase in power output, that would pay for the project over a 2 year period. The project had a budget of 82 million dollars.

So if my math is right, the old GE turbines were making about $410,000,000 worth of electricity per year, per turbine. And this plant had 24 of them.

So yeah that's a plant making almost $19,000 per minute. To think that money fountain would be shut off over a computer glitch is pretty unrealistic. I'd try to convince laypeople of this, but the less technical the person I was talking to was, the more they believed that the worst was going to happen.

Also once it was up and running the Siemens turbine paid back the 82 million in 10 months.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Did some googling, found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/sep/14/martinwainwright

quote:

The health service is facing big compensation claims after admitting yesterday that failure to spot a millennium bug computer error led to incorrect Down's syndrome test results being sent to 154 pregnant women.

The blunder affected women from South Yorkshire and the east Midlands, an area served by nine hospitals which sent samples to the Northern general. Professor Davies said yesterday: "It was very specifically related to the millennium. When the computer got to 2000 it just didn't calculate the mother's age correctly.

"When that information was fed into the test's calculations, the resulting risk level was wrong. It just demonstrates how careful you have to be at every stage in the system."

The tests were not a guarantee against babies proving to have Down's syndrome, but placing in the high risk category would have given mothers the opportunity to have an amniocentesis test.

Some fetuses were aborted that were healthy, some were born with Down Syndrome when told they were healthy.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

The only thing that actually stuck with me about living through the Y2K bug hysteria was when people who were purchasing year 2000 model cars were receiving titles identifying them as "horseless carriages" because the computer reverted back to 1900.

Pretty loving wild time to have been alive then.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

To take it from a more modern perspective, when Apple was releasing the latest OS update, a bunch of smaller application developers were warning people to put off the updates, because their poo poo still used 32bit code and Apple decided it was 64bit only going forward.

Oh yeah that's definitely a thing, we had to send out an advisory to all our customers. Apple does a version of that fairly often, push a new update that breaks random stuff because they don't care

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eschenique posted:

You are forgetting that the decisions were made before the Korean War happened, not in 1990. The stuff that was at risk of actually failing over to showing 1900 or whatever in 2000 was mostly much older business equipment. Even though we don't think about it today, it actually did take a few hundreds of millions of dollars to cover upgrading all the truly sensitive systems around the world, which was the reason that when Y2K rolled around very little broke!

Most of the stuff by 1990 was designed so it'd rollover to 2000 fine but would be unusable by some point in the mid-21st century instead. Home and small business facing stuff usually stuck to following standards like 1970 or 1980 as being the earliest valid date, such that user software would be able to handle, say 2000, but not 2040, or 2080. For that software that meant pushing ahead the time it would be a problem quite a number of decades beyond the big 2000 mark. That was also around the time a lot of the software actually straight up used 4 digit dates and didn't have a problem with 2000 at all or any other year up til 10,000 AD - nevertheless there'd still be all sorts of random stuff that couldn't handle 2000 at all because the programmer implemented their own code lovely, stuff that was going unexpectedly break between well about now and like 2090 or so, etc.

There's probably a bunch of terrible programs being written now, and having been written since 2000, that will start failing after 2100 happens because the programmers managed to gently caress up in ways that match intentional space-saving design of 70 years ago.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Next major date bug is in 2038, and systems that perform forecasts greater than 20 years are already impacted.

I can't find a reference, but I think there was a problem with the Congressional Budget Office's systems that prevented a forecast beyond 2038.

For the non-technical, a common date format is to measure time as the number of seconds elapsed since 1970-01-01 00:00, UTC (no daylight savings time offset.)

If you use a 32 bit, signed integer (positive and negative numbers allowed), when you get to 2,147,483,647 seconds (68 years), the number rolls over to −2,147,483,648 (-68 years).

An affected system will report a date in the early 1900's instead of late 2030's.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

tek79 posted:

The only thing that actually stuck with me about living through the Y2K bug hysteria was when people who were purchasing year 2000 model cars were receiving titles identifying them as "horseless carriages" because the computer reverted back to 1900.

Pretty loving wild time to have been alive then.

I remember hearing that story, but I have doubts it ever really happened.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Jurgan posted:

I remember hearing that story, but I have doubts it ever really happened.

It definitely has that urban legend vibe, but it did happen to a limited degree in Maine. From a Wapo article of that era:

Washington Post posted:

Maine's Y2K Glitch Cranks Up 'Horseless Carriage' Car Titles

The state government got its first Y2K surprise months early when owners of 2000 model cars and trucks received titles identifying their new vehicles as "horseless carriages."

Despite millions of dollars spent to ensure state computers are ready for the year 2000, computers in the secretary of state's office got confused over the 2000 model year designation.

The case demonstrates the problems that can occur when computers misread the year 2000 as the year 1900, which is what happened in the secretary of state's office.

Because the computer read the model year as 1900, the titles were printed with the "horseless carriage" designation used for vintage vehicles produced before 1916, said Secretary of State Dan A. Gwadosky, whose office oversees licensing and registration of vehicles. About 800 passenger car titles and about 1,200 tractor-trailer titles were issued with the error, Gwadosky said.

Since few people pay cash for cars, most of the titles went directly to banks and financial institutions. "Most of them chuckled and said we need a clean title as soon as possible," Gwadosky said.

Gov. Angus S. King Jr. did not know of the problem until reporters asked him about it today. He said there is no guarantee computers will work properly but he said the state doesn't envision widespread problems on Jan. 1.

It doesn't seem to have been as outlandish as it might first sound. Maine's system would designate cars built before 1916 as "horseless carriages", and their software wasn't written to understand years 2000+ so it mistook 2000 for 1900. I'm guessing the code just read the last two digits of the year.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 12, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Oh yeah that's definitely a thing, we had to send out an advisory to all our customers. Apple does a version of that fairly often, push a new update that breaks random stuff because they don't care

Developers had more than ample warning that the 32 but support was going away. They announced it definitively in June 2018 that when Catalina comes out it won’t have 32-bit support and they had announced earlier in 2017 that devs should prepare for them to drop support.

Any product that wasn’t reworked in that time was either abandoned or poorly managed.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Both of my parents worked on Y2K mitigation during the run-up, it was a major project. Y2K wasn't much of a thing was because there was a shitload of effort spent on it beforehand.

And yeah there was plenty of stuff with faulty date handling code, hell people are STILL writing faulty date handling code all the time, we just passed that magical time of year where a bunch of .NET developers get to learn that various local time conversion operations throw an exception when the date/time range falls in that 1-hour time span that's duplicated during the DST rollback.

Robust software is probably more the exception than the norm, especially in the business world where everyone waits until the last possible second to fix their poo poo.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 12, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

OneEightHundred posted:

Both of my parents worked on Y2K mitigation during the run-up, it was a major project.

So did I, I am so old *sips geritol cocktail*
e: Keep in mind that practically all high end business software was this bespoke one-off poo poo that practically nobody really knew how it worked internally

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Apparently the folks at the National Review got a hold of a really potent batch of crack:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/11/the-easiest-post-trump-gop-to-imagine-might-be-one-led-by-donald-trump-jr/

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Both of my parents worked on Y2K mitigation during the run-up, it was a major project. Y2K wasn't much of a thing was because there was a shitload of effort spent on it beforehand.

And yeah there was plenty of stuff with faulty date handling code, hell people are STILL writing faulty date handling code all the time, we just passed that magical time of year where a bunch of .NET developers get to learn that various local time conversion operations throw an exception when the date/time range falls in that 1-hour time span that's duplicated during the DST rollback.

Robust software is probably more the exception than the norm, especially in the business world where everyone waits until the last possible second to fix their poo poo.

Chill out man. It was fixed. Robust software is why you get your Fortnite skins.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Flesh Forge posted:

e: Keep in mind that practically all high end business software was this bespoke one-off poo poo that practically nobody really knew how it worked internally
There's also plenty of licensed stuff that won't be upgraded until there's no choice, possibly by companies that are no longer in business. Some stuff is made by contractors and gets handed off to other contractors to maintain it over and over ad nauseum.

And low-end business software isn't any better.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Chill out man. It was fixed. Robust software is why you get your Fortnite skins.
The nice thing about consumer software is that when it doesn't work, the customers threaten to go elsewhere. Business software is plagued with vendor lock-in, one-offs, and people getting paid to put up with poo poo software.

Yeah and this is while he's whining about leftist hecklers disrupting civil discourse and promoting a book called "TRIGGERED." Really upping the irony dosage.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 12, 2019

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Zwabu posted:

Apparently the folks at the National Review got a hold of a really potent batch of crack:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/11/the-easiest-post-trump-gop-to-imagine-might-be-one-led-by-donald-trump-jr/

NR does nothing but smoke crack. I’m all but certain that their gun articles are procedurally generated, and I’m not exaggerating—they are too loving stupid to be sincere or even satirical. Maybe that’s true for all their other poo poo too.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

So did I, I am so old *sips geritol cocktail*

The airline I work for has touchscreen systems on the airplane that run some version of Win XP or NT.

They're now old enough that the software stopped working with anything that required GPS back in April when the GPS clock rolled over, and since the manufacturer is long gone, someone had to figure out the PC equivalent of duct tape and bailing wire to get them working properly.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

GutBomb posted:

Developers had more than ample warning that the 32 but support was going away. They announced it definitively in June 2018 that when Catalina comes out it won’t have 32-bit support and they had announced earlier in 2017 that devs should prepare for them to drop support.

Any product that wasn’t reworked in that time was either abandoned or poorly managed.

And when you have no say in the software your customers use but are expected to provide support when they can't use it, it behooves you to send out an email warning people not to upgrade without making sure it'll work first.

And as others have said, there's plenty of LOB software out there that won't get patched until it's impossible to get the last 32 bit compatible version of OSX anymore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

azflyboy posted:

The airline I work for has touchscreen systems on the airplane that run some version of Win XP or NT.

They're now old enough that the software stopped working with anything that required GPS back in April when the GPS clock rolled over, and since the manufacturer is long gone, someone had to figure out the PC equivalent of duct tape and bailing wire to get them working properly.

lol stuff running on even Windows NT would have been cutting edge by the standards of the late 90s. A lot of plant control and financial stuff at that time was written in FORTRAN or COBOL before any flavor of even the earliest PC existed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

but the less technical the person I was talking to was

This was really the core of it. This was a time where chances are if you had internet at home you were a nerdy weirdo. Most people didn't even have computers at home yet so computer literacy wasn't exactly a common thing. People were assuming things like "what if computers think it's 1900 and start to believe they haven't even been invented yet?" Well, computers are god damned stupid so that won't happen. The "but what if ALL OF THE NUKES launch?" also fails to understand technology at all. There were a few hiccups but nothing catastrophic happened. What mostly happened was a few paperwork fuckups. The worst thing that happened to anybody I knew at the time was somebody got a jury duty summons for 1900.

Yeah there ended up being millions of dollars in upgrade costs to upgrade the computers but companies that saw the possibility of having problems planned ahead for that poo poo. They saw it coming years off and had everything at least patched with a workaround so things wouldn't burn down.

Of course the problem didn't really go away as now we have stuff like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Of course anybody that's written basically any code at all curses time because it's just a loving bastard to work with.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So how are the right handling the heckling of Don Jr.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This is the Alabama dude that murdered the Trump Baby Balloon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RawStory/status/1193988603300470784

"FOX News Viewer in Alabama posted:

“I got so fired up when I rolled by the balloon and I rolled down the window and I said something to them and I figured they saw me,” he explained. “I figured only way I was going to get close enough to that balloon was to blend in. (I) went and bought me an Alabama shirt and walked up like I was walking to the game and like I was going to take a picture with [the Trump balloon].”

“I was so fired up. I was shaking I was so mad,” Hutchinson added.

He went on to complain that “a lot of people my age don’t keep up with the news and politics.”

“I watch the news every night,” he insisted. “I watch Fox News every night. Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity are my favorite two anchors.”

Hutchinson compared the incident to a Biblical story about Jesus.

“It comes a point when you gotta take a stand,” he opined. “We don’t have two parties anymore. We have good vs. evil. When you got one party that says it’s OK to kill babies and by the way, this is the first time I’m ever seen a liberal get mad about chopping up a baby.”