Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

After seeing what the actual game looks and plays in streams, a leaker indicating that the REAL reason the full dex got culled is because GameFreak hosed up the animation/model importing process from DS to Switch and was forced to scramble and redo everything sounds like 100% the truth.

But then why wouldn’t they have all gen1 stuff courtesy of let’s go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Beyond the “my uncle works at Game Freak”, the existence of Let’s Go is the primary nail in the coffin about that post.

It’s entirely possible the next game will have all the Pokémon due to the backlash, just like the terrible marketing of this game was caused by reactions to the marketing of SM, but I doubt it would be for that reason.

Considering how previous jumps to new hardware went (DP, XY), I think the cause of this is a combo of culling the sexy being enviable and Game Freak being Game Freak.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Infinitum posted:

The only thing I want to fight about is who is the best starter.

Anyone who doesn't pick Sobble is a butt.

Ban this sick filth

(Grookey grookey grookey)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Avalerion posted:

But then why wouldn’t they have all gen1 stuff courtesy of let’s go.

Including all of gen 1 (just because it’s available) would go against their message of tailoring the regional Dex for the region.

Honestly this is like one of those things that’s odd in a world where games get frequent content updates. There’s nothing stopping them from overhauling/upating animations little by little. And you really only have to work on them once per console and just tweak as needed.

Yeah we’re at the almost 1000 Pokémon mark but that’s your whole loving thing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can get the TR changes in a vacuum. They wanted to make move tutors more convenient, so they made them portable and no longer require relentless Luvdisc grinding. They also wanted to rebance the current set of TMs so the best moves on the game weren't being handed out like candy.

The problem is they did these changes simultaneously and in the process reinvented single use TMs.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I can 100% buy that they hosed up and couldn’t get things done properly on time, I don’t buy the conspiracy part where they lie about it but plan to have all be back in the next one.

More likely they realized they can’t get it done in time, and to avoid that pressure going forward made the decision to just have culled dexes from now on.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I was all about Sobble but I'm not really impressed with its final form, I was meh on Scorbunny because I was sure it was going to be fire/fighting and I wasn't interested, and I never cared about Grookey at all. In fact this was the least enthused I've been for starters since gen 5 while I thought 6 and 7 were home runs.

But I love bunnies. Imma get me a bunny.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Every update I see this whole shitshow gets worse, what the gently caress :psyduck:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So instead of the switch pokemon I am going to pick up a 3ds one (never played any of the new generations) should I go with ultra sun or moon or x and y?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So instead of the switch pokemon I am going to pick up a 3ds one (never played any of the new generations) should I go with ultra sun or moon or x and y?

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is basically a send-off to the portable Pokemon series, I'd go for that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is basically a send-off to the portable Pokemon series, I'd go for that.

Awesome! That is definitely what I was looking for

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Bee posted:

I can get the TR changes in a vacuum. They wanted to make move tutors more convenient, so they made them portable and no longer require relentless Luvdisc grinding. They also wanted to rebance the current set of TMs so the best moves on the game weren't being handed out like candy.

The problem is they did these changes simultaneously and in the process reinvented single use TMs.

No they're still far better than single use TMs since you can get more than 1 per game. But yeah they really nerfed TMs hard, most of the moves are bad/very niche.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My favorite thing this morning is seeing that the Wild Area is actually composed of smaller sub-regions and each one has its own weather. So you can go from sunny to sandstorm to cloudy to snowy in the span of 15 seconds.

Video of it here

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My favorite thing this morning is seeing that the Wild Area is actually composed of smaller sub-regions and each one has its own weather. So you can go from sunny to sandstorm to cloudy to snowy in the span of 15 seconds.

Video of it here

Do the subsections have their own individual names? Or is it all 'Wild Area'?
Is it distinct regions that you could partition off mentally?

I'm trying to figure out what the Nuzlocke rules should be, but I'm also trying to avoid spoilers (other than the dex)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Video of it here

Thats just how weather is in Britain.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Video of it here

This looks really weird but I guess it'll make finding weather dependent Pokemon easier.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Video of it here

I love that the wild area looks weirdly small while also having a draw distance of like 10 Feet so it just feels super claustrophobic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Infinitum posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the Nuzlocke rules should be, but I'm also trying to avoid spoilers (other than the dex)

Yeah, they have their own names. The subregions seem too small to each be their own "route"
You should just check that video, it's the same stuff they've shown before, but with the HUD telling you teh name of the areas.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinitum posted:

No real distinctions between the transitions aside from the obvious ones like rivers. You get a popup that says “X Area - Wild Area” video I posted shows 3 areas (and 3 weather types) in the span of the player moving forward 20 seconds.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Spatula City posted:

I absolutely buy that there was some kind of programming gently caress-up, and in general that the development of Sw/Sh was incredibly hosed. that Reddit post feels like bullshit, but like the bullshitter came up with a very plausible theory and then presented it as truth.

but I'm not mad because Pokemon is still Pokemon. disappointed, sure. But I see in a lot of people an absurd sense of entitlement. Should Game Freak have done better? Maybe. Does throwing a shitfit about it help? no.

I will say the change to the EXP share is the worst decision made in X/Y, and it should not have persisted. it kinda reaffirms that these are first and foremost games for children, and unfortunately Game Freak does not respect Pokemon's adult player base. but that's been clear for a while.

:yeah:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This is the pokemon sword and shield thread, correct? Never played pokemon before but I was browsing reddit's best of subscribed and this was posted in Games and made me go :wtc: . people in that thread are loving saying it's a 'neat' and 'immersive' feature... and that 'kids might be overwhelmed by the options so it's best to introduce them slowly' are you loving kidding me

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ambaire posted:

This is the pokemon sword and shield thread, correct? Never played pokemon before but I was browsing reddit's best of subscribed and this was posted in Games and made me go :wtc: . people in that thread are loving saying it's a 'neat' and 'immersive' feature...

Accessibility features shouldn't be locked behind talking optional rando NPCs. This absolutely blows rear end all just for a feature that someone will go "Oh that's cute" and then forget about in 20 minutes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thanks for heads up that video games is spoiler free.

Those mini area changes are just coming too quickly. Legit don't know what rules you could implement to make it work.

One capture every X hours/min?
One capture every X area change?

Hopefully someone will come up with some rules the community can agree upon, as I am def leaning Nuzlocke for my run if possible.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ambaire posted:

This is the pokemon sword and shield thread, correct? Never played pokemon before but I was browsing reddit's best of subscribed and this was posted in Games and made me go :wtc: . people in that thread are loving saying it's a 'neat' and 'immersive' feature... and that 'kids might be overwhelmed by the options so it's best to introduce them slowly' are you loving kidding me

This has to be fake. :stare:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Accessibility features shouldn't be locked behind talking optional rando NPCs. This absolutely blows rear end all just for a feature that someone will go "Oh that's cute" and then forget about in 20 minutes.

That's on par with locking the running shoes or bike behind an NPC in an obscure location.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Video of it here

As someone who is British and living in Britain currently, this is absolutely what our weather can be like and has already happened thrice today.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

That's on par with locking the running shoes or bike behind an NPC in an obscure location.

No it's worse than that because it's the basic Sound options lol

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Thanks for heads up that video games is spoiler free.

Those mini area changes are just coming too quickly. Legit don't know what rules you could implement to make it work.

One capture every X hours/min?
One capture every X area change?

Hopefully someone will come up with some rules the community can agree upon, as I am def leaning Nuzlocke for my run if possible.

My idea is that one capture every time the story makes you go into the Wild Area.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Ignoring that incredibly stupid decision on GF's part for a moment, out of curiosity what does turning on the "Casual Controls" option do?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 12, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ambaire posted:

What in the absolute gently caress

That's got to be fake, right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Ignoring that for a moment, out of curiosity what does turning on the "Casual Controls" option do?

Description says it makes it "easier to play with one hand."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ambaire posted:

that's dumb as gently caress and anyone even mildly defending it is 100% in 'you can't criticize a thing i like!!!' internet fandom brainspace

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Description says it makes it "easier to play with one hand."

:fap:

But it's probably for when you're riding the bike to hatch eggs or something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My idea is that one capture every time the story makes you go into the Wild Area.

This could potentially work.

Good idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are y’all ready for the review embargo to end in one hour???

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What in the absolute gently caress

That's got to be fake, right?

I tried googling the game name and 'hi-tech earbuds' and got this datamine/spoiler thread where they're also mentioned so it seems real...

quote:

Hi-tech Earbuds Strange earbuds that allow you to freely control the volume of various sounds.

quote:

key item, I think?

quote:

I don't remember it from any previous game, maybe they decided to put sound settings in as a key item lol?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My first run will be a Galar 'Mons only run, as is tradition for me.

After that, thinking monotype? I've never done a Nuzlocke though either. Decisions

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ambaire posted:

I tried googling the game name and 'hi-tech earbuds' and got this datamine/spoiler thread where they're also mentioned so it seems real...

The item definitely exists
https://pastebin.com/mxjn1UjE

We just gotta wait on how to obtain it..... it simply cannot be this way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also I’m going to miss not seeing the shinies in the overworld. Let’s Go really spoiled me with a fun shiny hunting mechanic.

Have the data mining indicated how shiny hunting works in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

are nuzlockes still fun in games where you can see the pokemon out in the field? i figured some of the fun was being forced to deal with what shows up randomly