Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If you grabbed the hacked minidiscs from their bandcamp page, someone has created a cue sheet/auto-splitter for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Well that’s

Ballz posted:

If you grabbed the hacked minidiscs from their bandcamp page, someone has created a cue sheet/auto-splitter for them.

And this post is when I realize I forgot to buy it. poo poo!

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The 18 days thing did seem weird. Maybe it made it easier for them to donate the money in one whack.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

You can probably find it other places, I'd say do a donation to Extinction Rebellion or some other similar charity though to minimize evilness.

Molestationary Store fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 6, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
what if i am a very rude person?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I think every alternate version of Lift on these minidiscs is superior to what they decided to put on OKNOTOK. I get the feeling the band was trolling us by going with a flat, lifeless recording.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Action Serious posted:

And this post is when I realize I forgot to buy it. poo poo!

poo poo!!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Anima is phenomenal. I’d go so far as to call it better than some Radiohead albums. Just absolutely stellar.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Pirate Jet posted:

Anima is phenomenal. I’d go so far as to call it better than some Radiohead albums. Just absolutely stellar.
Yeah, for sure. Traffic, Dawn Chorus, and Rude Person are my favourites but the whole album flows really well. I was not hyped for ANIMA at all because I think TMB is good background music but not much else, but I've listened to it probably twenty times since it came out.

The short film is cool too. I expected it to just be some artfully filmed pretentious wandering or something but it's actually excellently choreographed and fun to watch.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Album is fantastic. Traffic, twist are highlights but im still listening and the album is slowly devouring me.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I think it's the best record from the Yorke Expanded Universe since In Rainbows.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yo54Xoxq3g

This is sooooooooo good and I can't loving believe it aired on Kimmel of all places.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s definitely better than tkol that’s for sure

Filipino
Nov 6, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s definitely better than tkol that’s for sure

Tkol is an aboslutely amazing album but its true Anima may be better.

Filipino
Nov 6, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Rainbows Disc 1 is the most vanila of all RH albums and is highly overrated by people who dont even care about inovation. Radiohead is good when they are doing something experimental and exciting. Like Myxamotosis or the kraut rock track Little by Little. Jigsaw falling into place could have been written by Chris Martin.

Although, Videotape is a masterpeice.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Filipino posted:

In Rainbows Disc 1 is the most vanila of all RH albums and is highly overrated by people who dont even care about inovation. Radiohead is good when they are doing something experimental and exciting. Like Myxamotosis or the kraut rock track Little by Little. Jigsaw falling into place could have been written by Chris Martin.

Although, Videotape is a masterpeice.

It definitely plays nice but is it really more vanilla than The Bends? I know that's got Planet Telex and other slight oddities but In Rainbows has 15 Step

In any case I do agree with you, Radiohead are best when they're spiky not smooth. Which is why Kid A/Amnesiac are the best

Filipino
Nov 6, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barry Foster posted:

It definitely plays nice but is it really more vanilla than The Bends? I know that's got Planet Telex and other slight oddities but In Rainbows has 15 Step

In any case I do agree with you, Radiohead are best when they're spiky not smooth. Which is why Kid A/Amnesiac are the best

15 step is a bubblegum pop song. Its a really good bubblegum pop song but thats it.

The Bends was a hell of a lot more risky in 1994. In Rainbows is the #1 album of Radiohead by people who don't really like them.

Filipino
Nov 6, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why the gently caress does this thread have a 3 rating? Vote 5 you evil fucks.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I went back and listened the bends after forgetting it for a few years and BLAME IT ON THE BLAACK STAAAR! BLAME IT ON THE FAALLING, SKYYY!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I never gave In Rainbows a chance for years and now it's one of my favorites. Same for The Bends. (OK Computer, Kid A, and Hail to the Thief are my top 3 though)

I thought Amnesiac was really overrated. It felt like it wanted to be Kid A but something about it just feels incomplete and not as memorable. Some great tracks to be sure, but I haven't found myself wanting to revisit it as much. And I haven't been able to get through TKOL at all.

Just because albums like Amnesiac and TKOL are innovative doesn't necessarily make the others "albums for people who don't like the band", that's pretentious as gently caress

Framboise fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 12, 2019

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Filipino posted:

15 step is a bubblegum pop song. Its a really good bubblegum pop song but thats it.

The Bends was a hell of a lot more risky in 1994. In Rainbows is the #1 album of Radiohead by people who don't really like them.

what tf is this take

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
15 Step barely has a song structure. It’s a jam and it’s excellent.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Honestly who cares if music is risky or innovative. I just want it to sound good. They often go hand in hand but it's not like risky automatically equals good. Pop songs are cool too.

This is why people hate Radiohead fans

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Filipino posted:

Barry posted:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Filipino posted:

Why the gently caress does this thread have a 3 rating? Vote 5 you evil fucks.

I don't recall if it was this thread or a previous one but it basically devolved into album ranking and people arguing about opinions (sort of what is happening the last few days) and it was rather dreadful.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Innovation and complexity are cool and important but anyone who tries to police enjoyment is a fool

I mean, it's literally not possible, like haha how can you even pretend to objectively measure something so blatantly subjective

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Radiohead are more innovators in production. And by innovators, I mean them taking a lot of the “experimental” music they were listening to at the time and recontextualizing it into pop. At its core, a track like Packt is a catchy 3 minute pop song, it’s just filtered through some very intentionally wonky production.

(I loving love Packt)

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 12, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In Rainbows is definitely more accessable than Kid A/Amnesiac but Thom's still singing about weird fishes and poo poo

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
IMHO In Rainbows is innovative because it showed that Radiohead wasn't a one-way road . When Hail to the Thief came out, lots of people would point to songs like The Gloaming or Backdrifts and say "ah, yes — this is what Radiohead will sound like in the future," as if all the band were capable of is a long, linear slide into ambient bloopy electronic music. But is that really innovation? If their next album had been the most echoey, the bloopiest, the starkest electronic album to date, would that be interesting? Or would that have been what everyone expected? In Rainbows opens with 15 step, a 5/4 track that blends rock and electronica and rocks really loving hard... who would expect Radiohead to simply start rocking again? Bodysnatchers is an even more direct and simple rock track... then later on you have tracks like Reckoner and Faust Arp, which were some of their most lush songs to date and sound like nothing they'd really done before. Anything felt possible in the band's future after In Rainbows.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 12, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Barry posted:

Just for emphasis. What is this garbage "hurf durf this music isn't challenging enough"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Just for emphasis. What is this garbage "hurf durf this music isn't challenging enough"

It's a perfectly reasonable thing to think as long as you're not making GBS threads on other people for enjoying other aspects of it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

Radiohead are more innovators in production. And by innovators, I mean them taking a lot of the “experimental” music they were listening to at the time and recontextualizing it into pop. At its core, a track like Packt is a catchy 3 minute pop song, it’s just filtered through some very intentionally wonky production.

(I loving love Packt)

You sound like a reasonable man

Polo-Rican posted:

IMHO In Rainbows is innovative because it showed that Radiohead wasn't a one-way road . When Hail to the Thief came out, lots of people would point to songs like The Gloaming or Backdrifts and say "ah, yes — this is what Radiohead will sound like in the future," as if all the band were capable of is a long, linear slide into ambient bloopy electronic music. But is that really innovation? If their next album had been the most echoey, the bloopiest, the starkest electronic album to date, would that be interesting? Or would that have been what everyone expected? In Rainbows opens with 15 step, a 5/4 track that blends rock and electronica and rocks really loving hard... who would expect Radiohead to simply start rocking again? Bodysnatchers is an even more direct and simple rock track... then later on you have tracks like Reckoner and Faust Arp, which were some of their most lush songs to date and sound like nothing they'd really done before. Anything felt possible in the band's future after In Rainbows.

Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are especially great for that reason because it shows just how dynamic and flexible the band is, imo. Sure, they have their accessible rock like The Bends and more innovative and tougher to digest music like Amnesiac, but they're able to shift styles around and still sound impressive. Who knows what the next album will sound like?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

This is purely anecdotal, but my friends who actively seek out “challenging” music are usually very analytical types who are driven to find some sort of inherent meaning behind art. They also don’t have any clue behind how music works. On the flip side, my musician friends, even the theory nerds, loving love simple-ish pop music and don’t really put too much thought into it. Don’t know what that really means, but it’s been an observation.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

This is purely anecdotal, but my friends who actively seek out “challenging” music are usually very analytical types who are driven to find some sort of inherent meaning behind art. They also don’t have any clue behind how music works. On the flip side, my musician friends, even the theory nerds, loving love simple-ish pop music and don’t really put too much thought into it. Don’t know what that really means, but it’s been an observation.

Music doesn't need to be challenging and complex to be good. It just needs to invoke the right feeling in the listener.

I have a friend who has some very... high standards for music to the point where he'll even scoff at some of Radiohead's work and then he'll send me some tracks from some artist that just sounds like a lot of noise to me.

Then he'll send me something super loving weird and on the disturbing end of avant-garde.

Then he will turn around and gush over super simple bubblegum pop that I would swear he would see as beneath him. He's no musician, he just has really diverse tastes and gets bored easily, so I think his main drive is hearing something that isn't necessarily challenging or complex, but feels unique to him.

I won't scoff seriously at him though-- more in jest. He's introduced me to a lot of great stuff over the years and influenced my tastes and expanded my horizons a lot too (I used to be an emo kid in high school who would only listen to a lot of bands I look back at and cringe at now). He's the one who got me into Radiohead to begin with after all.

I think my ultimate drive in music is that while I like unique and challenging music, what I like far more is very emotional music and lyrics. So while I can appreciate albums like Kid A greatly, my favorite songs are also probably the most "accessible" tracks-- How To Disappear Completely, Idioteque, Motion Picture Soundtrack-- the most emotionally charged tracks. A lot of the other tracks sound very detached and I feel like that's kind of the point, I remember reading that Thom was more interested in the rhythm of the album rather than the lyrics being super cohesive. And that's fine, it just doesn't scratch the same itch for me.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 12, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I wish I could listen to 15 Step for the first time ever after reading these descriptions of it. It would be some pretty good whiplash.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'mma head out

Voting a 3

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Rate albums not threads

Also you could pay whatever you wanted for In Rainbows, which was pretty big I paid 4.20:420:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The production in In Rainbows really bothers me, it feels like they sucked all the air out of the sound (except for Reckoner and House of Cards, which are my favorite tracks.)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah nah nah it's big bold and beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s very dry and close-mic’ed, making the entire album seem like a very intimate concert. It contrasted nicely with the stadium-rockish HTTT and was a good creative decision.