Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I neverr thought I'd get to see a tank get ready to shed it's armor. Thank you for giving us this rare and precious glimpse into the wonders of tanks, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Anyone here have the ability to make paint masks? I need the massive waist roundels for the B-17E and neither Montex nor Maketar make roundel masks that large. 1:1 they're 6' which scales down to about 2.3" in 1/32. Goes without saying that I'd happily pay for them.

Basically, this...

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

I finished my MiniArt T-80 tank.

I love unique paint jobs like this. The rust on the mufflers looks excellent! How did you do it?

Gewehr 43 posted:

Anyone here have the ability to make paint masks? I need the massive waist roundels for the B-17E and neither Montex nor Maketar make roundel masks that large. 1:1 they're 6' which scales down to about 2.3" in 1/32. Goes without saying that I'd happily pay for them.

I haven't done it, but I talked to a guy that has a laser cutter and he says he could cut custom stencils on (or rather, through) tamiya masking film. Unless you live out in the sticks, you should be able to find a local shop that does laser engraving.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Basically, this...

I've done something similar with a circle cutter and some masking sheets. Cut the roundel first, then do the star with a ruler inside the circle you just cut. It's not difficult, but it's definitely time consuming, since you're doing stages and stages of stuff you'd ordinarily knock out in one decal.

Tamiya masking sheets are a little bigger than six inches square-ish, and you can always go up to a big reel of masking tape in even bigger sizes if you think you're going to have the need.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SkunkDuster posted:

I love unique paint jobs like this. The rust on the mufflers looks excellent! How did you do it?

Coat of regular brown paint, then Transparent Iron Oxide from Golden Acrylics, then a wash made from the cheapest oil paint imaginable which actually mottles like that instead of flowing. I don't know if all Winton red ochre paints do this, or if I have the one magic tube that makes really good looking rust right out of the box.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Coat of regular brown paint, then Transparent Iron Oxide from Golden Acrylics, then a wash made from the cheapest oil paint imaginable which actually mottles like that instead of flowing. I don't know if all Winton red ochre paints do this, or if I have the one magic tube that makes really good looking rust right out of the box.

That is seriously one of the most authentic looking rusty mufflers I've seen since actually changing out a real world rusty muffler.

You should be proud.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Managed to pull a shoulder muscle sleeping wrong so I channeled that pain into fixing my Zero. De masked the canopy and noticed where I'd failed to paint the edge where the canopy meets the fuselage oh well. The leg wouldn't glue back on at all so I had to drill and pin the drat thing but at least it stays put now.

e: Put some smoke coming from the exhausts and the gun ejection port and put a bit of aluminium dry brushing around the crimes and I feel like it's done? I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when I have daylight. Also did up those scrap pieces of sprue into wood.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 11, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

I've done something similar with a circle cutter and some masking sheets. Cut the roundel first, then do the star with a ruler inside the circle you just cut. It's not difficult, but it's definitely time consuming, since you're doing stages and stages of stuff you'd ordinarily knock out in one decal.

Tamiya masking sheets are a little bigger than six inches square-ish, and you can always go up to a big reel of masking tape in even bigger sizes if you think you're going to have the need.

Thank you. If it comes to it, I'll look into that. I looked a little closer and found that Maketar offers custom size printing for generic roundels. So, I've already placed an order. Hopefully it will be here soon enough for me to finish the kit for the group build I'm in.

Made a lot of good progress this weekend!

Really happy with how the tail turned out. Masking the rudder was challenging, but it turned out really well.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Where the heck do you display something like that?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You could mount it vertically against a wall. Would make an interesting accent piece.

I've though about doing that myself, doing something like an "Evolution of The Airplane" project. 5 or 6 models, from the Wright Flyer up to an F-22 or something, mount them vertically against a wall.

EDIT: Quick mock-up.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 12, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

entomb it in a block of solid resin and use it as a coffee table.

Oh hey i totally bought one of those plants from ikea.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 12, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
On a pedestal in my front yard.

(Or suspended from my son's ceiling with high test line.)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The HK 1/32 comes with a bracket you can fit into the bomb bay just so you can mount it vertically on a wall.

Once I can find/make the decals for mine, that's how mine will be displayed. I've been trying to find decals in any scale for Yankee Doodle Dandy, which was based at the airfield my grandfather worked at. I think I'm going to have to just use the few pics I can find and recreate it that way.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Fuckin' Nazis, ordering around domestic appliances like that

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Where the heck do you display something like that?

Your local airport. Mine has a nice collection of questionably finished ww2 planes. I think the vintage of the modelling techniques speaks more to enthusiasm than talent.

It's still my kids favorite thing to do at any airport.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
drat , now I'm second guessing the Star Destroyer, and thinking I should go with the older kit and an aftermarket lighting kit.

The kit with lighting is okay, but unexpanable if you want to light odd areas. And from what I can see, the LED's are white, which doesn't really match the amber/yellow lights seen in the original SW. Plus it doesn't have any red LED's for the few red lights on the studio model. If I go with the aftermarket lighting kit, I can tint the end of a fiber bundle with clear paint to whatever I need.

Green Strawberry makes a very nice aftermarket kit, as well as some PE detail kits as well. Think I'll go this route.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Fuckin' Nazis, ordering around domestic appliances like that

Like stealing all the bicycles wasn't enough! I'm actually so bored of all the Nazi's in scale modeling that I've decided that I'm not going to build any more German WWII stuff apart from what I have already started.

So if anyone is in need for German gear and weapons (mostly Dragon Gen-2) give me a shout and I'll send you some if you pay postage.

In other news; I finally finished all the photo-etch in the back of this Universal Carrier. Those ammo racks in the back were a massive PITA, so it's nice I get to cover a lot of the wonkyness with some ammoboxes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It's a little rough, but I'm happy with it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Molentik posted:

In other news; I finally finished all the photo-etch in the back of this Universal Carrier. Those ammo racks in the back were a massive PITA, so it's nice I get to cover a lot of the wonkyness with some ammoboxes.

Is that Riich's? I did Tamiya's, and it was fine, but I kinda wanna do the Riich one. How are you liking it?

I've somehow gotten it into my head to do nothing but universal carriers/artillery tractors/prime movers. Did a Bren, Lloyd, and Renault so far, m4 is in the mail. Shame that a lot of the more obscure ones are only available in expensive resin kits.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Yes it's the Riich kit. This version is the Mk.II MMG with the Vickers on top. It's in my opinion a very nice kit, but pretty challenging sometimes (looking at you, driver seat held up by four flimsy PE struts :argh:). Lots of photo etch, link and length tracks, tiny springs for the gear etc. And I believe some of Riich's carriers come with the engine etc included.

Can recommend, as long as you don't expect a weekend build.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Molentik posted:

Yes it's the Riich kit. This version is the Mk.II MMG with the Vickers on top. It's in my opinion a very nice kit, but pretty challenging sometimes (looking at you, driver seat held up by four flimsy PE struts :argh:). Lots of photo etch, link and length tracks, tiny springs for the gear etc. And I believe some of Riich's carriers come with the engine etc included.

Can recommend, as long as you don't expect a weekend build.

Sounds perfect. I prefer a long, slow build. I strongly recommend Bronco's Lloyd carrier if you ever find yourself looking for a similar build. Lots of very fiddly PE, but a really nice quality kit.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

drat , now I'm second guessing the Star Destroyer, and thinking I should go with the older kit and an aftermarket lighting kit.

The kit with lighting is okay, but unexpanable if you want to light odd areas. And from what I can see, the LED's are white, which doesn't really match the amber/yellow lights seen in the original SW. Plus it doesn't have any red LED's for the few red lights on the studio model. If I go with the aftermarket lighting kit, I can tint the end of a fiber bundle with clear paint to whatever I need.

Green Strawberry makes a very nice aftermarket kit, as well as some PE detail kits as well. Think I'll go this route.

You could go the Plasmo route and diy the lighting kit yourself.

https://youtu.be/x9A9FaT1wsE

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Old Swerdlow posted:

You could go the Plasmo route and diy the lighting kit yourself.

https://youtu.be/x9A9FaT1wsE

Been thinking of that too. I actually have access to a lot of free fiberoptic as well, the real glass stuff too. I'm just kinda poo poo with electronics, beyond basic soldering.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

the coward Peter Jackson continues to refuse to make a 1/32 SPAD.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 13, 2019

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
We already knew Rod Stewart was into model railways but the photos in this article need to be shared.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Scut posted:

We already knew Rod Stewart was into model railways but the photos in this article need to be shared.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

Awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how him getting some help doing the wiring, one of the least fun processes in model trains, is enough to get some purists to say his layout doesn't count and he didn't do it him self.

gently caress if I could afford to pay someone to lay my track and wire everything up I would. I'm with rod, the trains are incidental to the core focus of making model cities and buildings.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

That's astoundingly beautiful.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Stewart's layout is amazing just based on those pics. Thanks for the link.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Needs a spaceport but drat that's a nice layout. I love how I can tell what time of day it is.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 13, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baronjutter posted:

I love how him getting some help doing the wiring, one of the least fun processes in model trains, is enough to get some purists to say his layout doesn't count and he didn't do it him self.

gently caress if I could afford to pay someone to lay my track and wire everything up I would. I'm with rod, the trains are incidental to the core focus of making model cities and buildings.
Those purists can all die in a fire. Dude's done more to encourage the hobby than they ever will.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

The only way to be a true railroad enthusiast is to go full primitive technology in the wilderness and make everything from scratch.

I'm not a railroad guy but Stewart's layout is stunning.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm just imagining all the groupies trying to get into the hotel after the show thinking they are going to party with Rod Stewart and he's just sitting alone in his room painting cobblestones.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

You know it's a great layout when you just wanna hang out and stare at it for an afternoon.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

You catch Rod Stewart hanging around the bins. Is he trying to get away from the horde of fans? No, he just saw a really nice box he could use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You catch Rod Stewart hanging around the bins. Is he trying to get away from the horde of fans? No, he just saw a really nice box he could use.

He was found with a bunch of baggies in his coat. They're newly-purchased minature figures to populate his stations with.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress if I could afford to pay someone to lay my track and wire everything up I would.

Some guys have all the luck... :ohdear:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm just imagining all the groupies trying to get into the hotel after the show thinking they are going to party with Rod Stewart and he's just sitting alone in his room painting cobblestones.

This cracked me up for real, thanks for this image.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Finally decided to get some individual pipette bottles and they're honestly great. It's probably a little over the top but I don't ever have to worry about cross contamination between colours or thinner. I've shaken the heck out of them and there have been no leaks. Need to clean up the old bottles to get the labels off because distunguishing between glossy, semi and flat black in un labelled jars is kind of impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Finally decided to get some individual pipette bottles and they're honestly great. It's probably a little over the top but I don't ever have to worry about cross contamination between colours or thinner. I've shaken the heck out of them and there have been no leaks. Need to clean up the old bottles to get the labels off because distunguishing between glossy, semi and flat black in un labelled jars is kind of impossible.

Now that's pretty drat nice. I've thought about trying to find some Vallejo-like bottles to move all my Tamiya paints to, but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.