Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Good times with good people. Yuns is in fact a real person and a total savage.

Munin posted:

We definitely saw video evidence of savagery.

Also had good booze and went from basement to skyline view.

It was an evening of contrasts.

Yeah so obviously Yuns managed to get both their phones and is posting "Yes Friend I am fine and well and not being murdered please never contact me again". RIP gonna miss those guys, gonna pour out a forty (whatever that is) for their bloated corpses floating down the Potomac river (which I assume runs through Manhattan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A forty refers to 40 ounces of malt liquor. 2-3 bucks to get hosed up.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

But how do you know how many liters you need to pour to get to 40 ounces? And please don't tell me it's "so easy, just multiply the average weight of a gerbil's left nut in 1873 with the orbital inclination of Saturn in the third house". loving make-believe nonsense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
the size of an ounce was originally defined by the capacity of the King's bladder.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

the size of an ounce was originally defined by the capacity of the King's bladder.

Because of loving course it was.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nice piece of fish posted:

But how do you know how many liters you need to pour to get to 40 ounces? And please don't tell me it's "so easy, just multiply the average weight of a gerbil's left nut in 1873 with the orbital inclination of Saturn in the third house". loving make-believe nonsense.

Of course - you need 33.8 ounces to make a liter.

It all makes sense. 2 ounces to a pint. 4 pints for a cup, 4 cups for a quart, 4 quarts to a gallon.

All based on the size of Queen Mary's uterus.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I deny having anything to do with Phil or Munin's disappearances. It's a big city. Stuff just happens.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

1/15 of a skjeppe, duh.
(A skjeppe being defined as the number of 40s a Viking and a wench could carry from the cellar to the table)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 9, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Yuns posted:

I deny having anything to do with Phil or Munin's disappearances. It's a big city. Stuff just happens.

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

1/15 of a skjeppe, duh.
(A skjeppe being defined as the number of 40s a Viking and a wench could carry from the cellar to the table)

Wait, how many støp is that?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wait, how many støp is that?

1/3 of a støp, but 7/8 of a stop.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
In all seriousness I want to say Yuns and Munin are good guys and thanks to Yuns for like 50 great recommendations for places to eat and drink and for being willing to meet up for a Friday evening. Hope to repay the favor in my hometown.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In all seriousness I want to say Yuns and Munin are good guys and thanks to Yuns for like 50 great recommendations for places to eat and drink and for being willing to meet up for a Friday evening. Hope to repay the favor in my hometown.

So how's the girth?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What was his business card like? Good colouring? Raised lettering, pale nimbus?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

He abruptly left to go to his appointment with Dr Huxtable

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Can romance bloom... On the battlefield?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol “Hip to Be Square” came on the sound system at Duane Reade last night

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Can romance bloom... On the battlefield?

:ocelot:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Another NYC story, as we were walking to dinner last night we saw a ton of cops and barriers all set up along Sixth Avenue. We figured it was for the Veterans Day parade so I asked a cop if it was and he straight deadpans, “Nah, somebody important is coming.” He didn’t literally roll his eyes but lol

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
With all the subpoena talk in the news

Privilege in the states doesn't work the way the trump contingent says it does, right? Its something you assert to avoid answering otherwise relevant questions, not something that lets you just disregard a valid subpoena entirely. Why are they being permitted to just say lol nah to documents compelling their attendance

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Usually yes you have to show and assert it to each question so the judge can then consider whether the question does actually invoke the claimed privilege

Executive privilege was invented during the Nixon impeachment and has almost never been litigated so they just abuse the crap out of it and force the other side to call their bluff (which takes years and money to get thru the courts)

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also almost all of this is undecided law which must be resolved by a political scotus which is currently conservative with two going on three justices appointed by Trump himself. Kavanaugh specifically thinks the office of president can basically do no wrong and has unlimited power which is not hard to imagine factored into his appointment given the trajectory of this administration.

Nonexistence fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

Also almost all of this is undecided law which must be resolved by a political scotus which is currently conservative with two going on three justices appointed by Trump himself.

It’s actually decided law, us v Nixon, they’re just playing calvinball

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

EwokEntourage posted:

Usually yes you have to show and assert it to each question so the judge can then consider whether the question does actually invoke the claimed privilege

Executive privilege was invented during the Nixon impeachment and has almost never been litigated so they just abuse the crap out of it and force the other side to call their bluff (which takes years and money to get thru the courts)

To be fair every President and party has enjoyed using executive privilege since it was formulated. One of the reasons it has never been litigated is that generally some sort of arrangement is reached before it hits the courts to allow the generally cozy state of affairs to continue. Trump doesn't really do discussion and compromise of course. If he sticks around long enough it will be litigated.

Actually, how likely do people think it is that all these cases etc will follow him out of the White House? What are the odds of a Nixon style pardon?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Munin posted:

Actually, how likely do people think it is that all these cases etc will follow him out of the White House? What are the odds of a Nixon style pardon?

They'll keep litigating the tax returns thing. Some of the document subpoenas, I imagine fall under cabinet secretary authority so a change in administration will moot those and they'll produce the documents. Tbh I assume there is wholesale document destruction going on now too and that's what we'll hear about when he's out of office. As far as the criminal stuff goes, the reason Trump won't resign and really wants to win re-election is so he won't get indicted. Some SOLs will run if he is there for two terms. The scandals will just keep coming even when he's not POTUS.

As far as exec privilege goes though, I'm not sure if the next POTUS assume control over the earlier POTUS's documents and who can assert the privilege. That's one of the big questions that hasn't been litigated.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Munin posted:

To be fair every President and party has enjoyed using executive privilege since it was formulated. One of the reasons it has never been litigated is that generally some sort of arrangement is reached before it hits the courts to allow the generally cozy state of affairs to continue. Trump doesn't really do discussion and compromise of course. If he sticks around long enough it will be litigated.

New York is going to make his life hell until he dies.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

And his failchildren too, I hope.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You all are assuming you get him out of the white house at some point. He might just be the last president you have.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You all are assuming you get him out of the white house at some point. He might just be the last president you have.

Those aren't necessarily different things.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
This week’s Last Week Tonight was about SLAPP suits and maybe the best LWT ending ever.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Part of me hopes that's their actual lawyer who had like an undergrad musical theater degree.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

This week’s Last Week Tonight was about SLAPP suits and maybe the best LWT ending ever.

I helped get the Texas Anti-SLAPP statute revised now that I typed it out I think I bragged about this before but whatever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Executive privilege goes all the way back to Washington. It’s constitutional just not the version asserted by trump.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Part of me hopes that's their actual lawyer who had like an undergrad musical theater degree.

Monash University in Melbourne (Aus) used to offer a dual undergrad degree of Law and Performing Arts.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I once represented a plaintiff in exactly the kind of case for which anti-SLAPP statutes exist. Can't wait to tell my grandchildren about that someday.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Americans and your goddamned acronyms. AAYGA.

"Don't you slap me with a SLAPP suit or I'll slap you with my anti-SLAPP"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Buncha SLAPP-happy idiots

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I got jammed on a frivolous defamation suit and decided not to file an anti-SLAPP motion. This is the Louisiana statute language:

quote:

Art. 971. Special motion to strike

A.(1) A cause of action against a person arising from any act of that person in furtherance of the person's right of petition or free speech under the United States or Louisiana Constitution in connection with a public issue shall be subject to a special motion to strike, unless the court determines that the plaintiff has established a probability of success on the claim.

[...]

F. As used in this Article, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them below, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

(1) "Act in furtherance of a person's right of petition or free speech under the United States or Louisiana Constitution in connection with a public issue" includes but is not limited to:

(a) Any written or oral statement or writing made before a legislative, executive, or judicial proceeding, or any other official proceeding authorized by law.

(b) Any written or oral statement or writing made in connection with an issue under consideration or review by a legislative, executive, or judicial body, or any other official body authorized by law.

(c) Any written or oral statement or writing made in a place open to the public or a public forum in connection with an issue of public interest.

(d) Any other conduct in furtherance of the exercise of the constitutional right of petition or the constitutional right of free speech in connection with a public issue or an issue of public interest.

The Supreme Court decided that despite the fact that the statute helpfully provides a (non-exclusive) list of things that qualify as “public issues,” such as statements in litigation, each of these examples must specifically be related to a “public issue” to qualify. Meaning people talking about other people in the context of litigation does not qualify unless the litigation itself is about a public issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I got jammed on a frivolous defamation suit and decided not to file an anti-SLAPP motion. This is the Louisiana statute language:

The Supreme Court decided that despite the fact that the statute helpfully provides a (non-exclusive) list of things that qualify as “public issues,” such as statements in litigation, each of these examples must specifically be related to a “public issue” to qualify. Meaning people talking about other people in the context of litigation does not qualify unless the litigation itself is about a public issue.

Jesus thats narrow.