Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Can you show me an ingame pic? I think I'm overimagining this.

Train stations below main level

View from HUB

Construction mall (side-by-side containers, walk on ground)

Electronics mall

Organics mall (stacked containers, walk on top)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Ahhh, ok, thanks. Im trying to visualize what I can start out with before the advanced tiers, so maybe I'll just rip out everything and lay out from scratch in a high tier game.

My dumbass was thinking of a belt where I put two or three items on the same belt and use logical sorters to remove what I needed. But I think I'd run the risk of saturation of one item if production stops on something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

But I think I'd run the risk of saturation of one item if production stops on something.

Yes, this absolutely happens and is a huge pain to fix, so go with separate belts whenever possible. Replacing long lines of parallel belts with trains makes things substantially easier, too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hi folks, I wanted you to know I just created a base building megathread here. Hope you find it helpful, and please leave comments in the thread, thanks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm thinking about redoing my base and honestly i'm only like 5 hours into the game, tempted to just start again now that I know how much space everything needs.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

dogstile posted:

I'm thinking about redoing my base and honestly i'm only like 5 hours into the game, tempted to just start again now that I know how much space everything needs.

I keep underestimating how much space I'll ultimately need, even after getting Steel.

I really struggle with scale in this game in a way I don't with Factorio. It's weird.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Factorio has a fixed perspective and no z-axis for buildings, some of the buildings in Satisfactory are so large that if you're standing on the same surface as them when placing them, their edges are WELL out of frame.

I professionally work with a lot of automated manufacturing machines and I appreciate that the scale of these sophisticated and modular devices relative to how large the player character feels in the game space feels viscerally correct, but once you are slamming down rows of T3 manufacturers and especially oil refineries it leads to this scale dissociation which would be appropriate if the scale of the game zoomed out at a certain point and you either weren't a body climbing around equipment to make connections, or were controlling one more like a platformer and less like an FPS.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

LonsomeSon posted:

Factorio has a fixed perspective and no z-axis for buildings, some of the buildings in Satisfactory are so large that if you're standing on the same surface as them when placing them, their edges are WELL out of frame.

I professionally work with a lot of automated manufacturing machines and I appreciate that the scale of these sophisticated and modular devices relative to how large the player character feels in the game space feels viscerally correct, but once you are slamming down rows of T3 manufacturers and especially oil refineries it leads to this scale dissociation which would be appropriate if the scale of the game zoomed out at a certain point and you either weren't a body climbing around equipment to make connections, or were controlling one more like a platformer and less like an FPS.

I'd be happy with a camera drone that could be deployed for an aerial view. Just let me pull it down and reuse it. It would make another good use for biofuel.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LonsomeSon posted:

I really thought that's what the jetpack would be before I unlocked it. A way to fly around and hover in place to build things from a top down view. It seemed to make so sense that the game would transition into tools to allow you to do large things in parallel. but, those tools never appeared. Your large scale construction is still limited by your ability to click every little connection over and over. Once that becomes your bottleneck, scaling up doesn't seem nearly as fun.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone know if this game has solved any of its performance issues in multiplayer? Last time I played there were some significant desync issues where a client would have deleted an object in their game but the server still had it so there'd be invisible walls and poo poo, and at a certain game size the multiplayer would just become unplayable due to lag.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Glagha posted:

Does anyone know if this game has solved any of its performance issues in multiplayer? Last time I played there were some significant desync issues where a client would have deleted an object in their game but the server still had it so there'd be invisible walls and poo poo, and at a certain game size the multiplayer would just become unplayable due to lag.

Have you tried changing the network quality option in the settings? I originally had a lot of lag issues until I changed that setting. I'm not sure if only the host or the clients also have to change it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

We did, it wasn't really an issue until after playing for a few hours when our factories grew very large that the game started slowing to a crawl. Does anyone play multiplayer currently?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

No, sorry. I do know that single-player slowdown (due to lots of conveyor belts) has gotten better, so I would imagine that would carry over to multiplayer?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Oh cool, Cloud Saves. I like having a savegame somewhere if my hard drive crashes.

I started a new game today, played for 6 hours. Then I quit and later restarted and it asked me about local/cloud things. Apparently I clicked the wrong thing. Sure, save-function, I really wanted the data from a month ago restored, leaving no trace of what I did today.

Really cool. Nothing, not anything, even in the local backup-folder the game created in my documents.

If my local files are X+1, and the cloud has X, why would it think i want to use it to delete my newest save-game folder?

Yes, yes, it is all my fault for clicking the wrong button. But it shouldn't be so easy to click.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The idea of cloud saves is great, but I've gotten that question almost every time I start the game. Either something on epic's side is going wrong or it's not implemented well. I've always used the menu to quit so it's not like there should've been a reason for it to get out of sync.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I probably blew something like 70 hours into this game in mid august but by the time I started mass producing plastics I started wondering what I was really working towards.

Factorio had this huge range of devastating weapon systems and mass producing them and their munitions as well as researching improvements was a huge draw.

But in satisfactory I already finished my carbine and I have ammo and I made the remote bombs so I wasn't really sure what I was working towards any more.

Plus moving around in a first person perspective frustrates me when my factory is about the height of the space elevator thing and T3 production just added something like 6 floors.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The game badly needs a construction drone thing like Empyrion's player drone. That, or a jetpack revamp to allow hovering for long periods of time... I don't know why it can't be autorefilled midair.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The jetpack limitations are probably to not make it OP for combat.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

nielsm posted:

Is there any real combat?

I've shot a few animals but that was pretty uneventful.

Took a few potshots at some flying whales but they never took notice.

Granted I haven't played since mid august.

Can I build nuclear artillery yet to shell infested nests of alien bugs? What about a rocket launcher?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Spiders are combat, are they not?

They also make me very annoyed that arachnophobia mode doesn't replace the scuttling with meowing

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

I'd say for exploration - there's a lot of platforming challenges to get to collectables and hard drives that would be pointless if you could freely fly past.

Some sort of construction drone would be much better to let you freely build your base without affecting the exploration game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Any part of the exploration or combat that can be circumvented with a jetpack can also be circumvented by building platforms.

It seems silly to restrict the fun of the building tools because of parts of the game that already are defeated by applying building tools to them.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

The power-line-linking mechanic is kind of dumb compared to just being able to place things in "powered areas" in other base-building games.

If you had a flying drone that only let you construct things in "powered areas" it would not break exploration.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I dunno I kind of like the aesthetic of wires everywhere. Although I think at one point wireless power should be a researchable tech.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Joda posted:

I dunno I kind of like the aesthetic of wires everywhere. Although I think at one point wireless power should be a researchable tech.

There's something on the official wiki about powered walls, but I'm not sure if it's just walls that have power connectors on them to get power into buildings, or if there's actually direct wall-wall power transfer.
It could definitely work having power transmitted by walls and floors.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nielsm posted:

walls that have power connectors on them to get power into buildings

There's a mod, "most factory", that has this. Besides the stupid name, it's really good (except that the latest version added a bunch of bullshit expensive intermediate components that only exist for the stuff in the mod)

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Power lines are the bane for making nice looking factories. Getting power to floors 3 and up always makes everything look so messy.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I just make a vertical stack of power poles and then delete all the floors so it looks like one big pole :keke:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, bad news and worse news:

- Next major updated pushed from December to Febuary
- Update will include some rebalancing of production, so it's possible existing setups may not work right (I'm not sure if this just means they change the ratio of certain materials to certain other materials or if they're changing certain recipes to different materials altogether)

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was some good news in there too though. They're working on having there have run multithresded and will release that as soon as it is done, sand thing with the dedicated servers. So still least we won't have to wait until February for those.

No tier 8 in this update, but it sounded like they're making some pretty big changes that they need to complete first. I'm going to guess rusty means a lot of changed recipes. I might just restart when it comes out as you can get back up to higher tiers pretty quickly.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Glagha posted:

sometimes there's desync with structures if you aren't hosting, so turning it off and on again gets you the actual game state. had to go back to the menu and rejoin a couple of times in my last ~4+ hour multiplayer session but at least that part is relatively painless once you notice the issue. super frustrating months ago when i didn't know what was happening, though. Satisfactory has a poo poo-ton more data to transmit than Factorio and it's still early access sooooo for now it gets a pass.

haven't played to the point of unplayable lag, though.

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 7, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's something incredibly satisfying about rebuilding in a more efficient and pleasant-looking way.

Here's my 2nd base, built after I had most of the research done:

And here's my 3rd base, built with a grid system and a better central hub in mind: (still in progress)

For the third base, I'm trying to do smaller footprints for each component factory, with the ability to always build up if I need more production, rather than out. I'm also trying to integrate the train delivery as much as possible, and included a passenger-only train stop in the middle the hub.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
is there a trick to getting a big perfect circle of containers like that?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There is. It's a little complicated, though:

Basically, you want to put down a floor section in an undeveloped area, extend it in all four directions, then erase the original and the the first ring of extensions so you can rotate the floor and repeat. To ensure that the same side to side location is used, never touch the wasd keys while doing this, and point the camera straight down before placing.

To ensure you get the same height every time, drop something like a wire spool that obstructs building but also doesn't have anything for the floor to snap to. You jump and place, and the floor is placed over the spool.

Repeat this nine times and you'll get 36 floor pieces Ina perfect circle and can then place containers on them or do whatever.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Alternately don’t waste that effort and just make a line or a rectangle.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just really want a proper ceiling. It kinda kills me that I have to gently caress around with foundations to do a building.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

There's a save editor at https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map that can spawn circles and rectangles, and massively delete (non-radioactive) objects.

Drag your save file to the "upload" box, then right-click on an object and choose "spawn a geometric form here"

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Friends, a tale of of a mistake:

I headed out to my caterium mine because I realized my base was using more bars than I was producing, so I needed to replace the old Mk 2 miner with a Mk 3. I brought along a pile of power shards to max the miner out at 780 so that I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future. When I got there, I dismantled the mk 2, built the mk3, and reconnected the belts, then started placing the shards. By a slip of the mouse, I dragged a shard onto the miner, instead of the miner interface. And it vanished. Poof.

Confused, I dismantled everything. I searched the ground. I flew up with a jetpack for an aerial view. Couldn't find it. Shrugged and gave up. Rebuilt the Mk 3, powered it up, got the train running, all that.

About an hour later, I go to my bank of caterium smelters. Now I should have plenty of ore, so I want to see that field of green lights. And I do. But one of them is yellow. Confused, I walk over to it. It's at 1/3 ore, but the belt isn't moving. Clearly there's ore ready, but it isn't taking it. Figuring that it glitched somehow, I dismantled the tiny belt leading from the splitter into the smelter. And there, lodged in the smelter, I found my power shard. When I dropped it on the miner, it had apparently entered the miner, gotten on the conveyor belt, passed through the train depot, rode the train, gotten off at another train depot, gone through a few splitters, and right into the smelter.

:allears:

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
it found its way home :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The hub... it grows...