Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Peanut Butler posted:

"Johnny Bigtime"

Jack 'Big Wins' Basilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

C.M. Kruger posted:

Shaman sacrifices berrypicker of few winters for saying "as you say, elder", claims saying offend ancestors, cave lion god and cause bad hunt season.

:golfclap:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

OutOfPrint posted:

Berrypicker should have understood "elder" is as offensive as n-word.

ok elder

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Awesome John" is also perfectly valid.

Big Bad John, surely.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Byzantine posted:

Big Bad John, surely.

Why am I suddenly imagining a balalaika playing a Country tune?

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3YolGRkuY

Zopotantor has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Nov 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zopotantor posted:

Why am I suddenly imagining a balalaika playing a Country tune?

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3YolGRkuY

Never was there a man like my Johnny
The one they call Johnny Guitar

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I used to think Roman numerals fell out of use fairly quickly once Arabic numerals came on the scene, but lol nope

In my genealogy research, I go through a lot of govt. accounting stuff (taxes, land records, etc), and some years ago I discovered that they were literally still in use in the 1660s (in Denmark, anyway)! Possibly the only reason they did not still use them even later is that Frederick III instituted absolute monarchy at that time — before that, the king was "elected" (by the nobles) — and so there were changes at all levels of the administration, bringing in younger people with crazy ideas about more efficient math. Absolutism was abolished during the Spring of Nations when Denmark became a representative monarchy (ie. landowners could vote; it is now a constitutional same with universal suffrage)

Anyway, Roman numerals did evolve a bunch through time. Here are some fancy ones that were in use in the 1600s. First off, the numerals were written in minuscule (that is, lowercase), and since everything is in cursive, the last one gets a swash (if applicable):

iij = 3

Halves are handled by crossing out a line (here I'm just using strikethrough, but an x would generally just have one leg crossed out), which means subtract one half:

ij = 1 + (1 - .5) = 1.5
x = 10 - .5 = 9.5

You can use superscript to mark out tens, hundreds and thousands (using x/c/m as usual; c is sometimes expanded to ct, still meaning centum):

ivc = 4 * 100 = 400
xim = 11 * 1000 = 11000

Now combine them:

xxxm vct xij = 3 * 1000 + (5 - .5) * 100 + 12 = 3462

Now imagine that the accountings are not in regular decimal money like we're used to, but in daler, mark, skilling (1 mark = 16 skilling, 1 rigsdaler = 6 mark but 1 sletdaler = 4 mark) and also many farms and such pay wholly or partially in kind and that each of these types of goods have to be accounted separately.

Below is the summa summarum for a cadastre dated 1582–83. The entries are: Old thalers, danish money, rye and flour, barley, oats, butter, oxes, cows, flesh (pork), pigs, lambs, geese, chickens, eggs, cods, herrings, haddocks, flounders, "Serke" ("shirts" = fabric?), "Ærftter" (probably peas), yarn, hay (not sure about all of them, this is just a quick read).

It's kindof amazing that they even managed to figure out if they were in the black or not...

A quiz for you: What is this number?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Nov 15, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Halvtreds

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao :golfclap:

Halvtreds(-sindstyve) is actually "half-third-times-twenty" = iijxx = (3 - 0.5) * 20 = 50 so that checks out

this is a lot more tho

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Nov 15, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Krankenstyle posted:

It's kindof amazing that they even managed to figure out if they were in the black or not...

There wasn't really a concept of "black" or "red" outside specific merchant accounts, which needed profit/loss statements in abstract coinage so it could be used for credit, especially credit for destinations at the other end of a sea voyage. If the land produced enough to live on then it was productive, and the landlord and the local steward's tax collector would want a percentage of the yield.

English law doesn't even have the concept of embezzlement until the reign of Henry VIII (not even the famously tight-fisted Henry VII, who overhauled the tax system and forced a lot of wealthy nobles to cough up). If your employees skimmed a bit off the top, then it was considered your own silly fault for not supervising them properly. It was a pre-cash economy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It also took a very long time for tax evasion to be a thing or for sensical tax codes to even exist. People, being people, would notice that you paid grain taxes only on specific things. Like you'd pay a certain chunk of your grain only when it was baked into bread. The solution? Turn it into things that are not bread but still provide calories like, say, beer. Beer got taxed? Lol we mostly eat gruel now gently caress you. They tax all the wheat grains? It's barley o'clock, fuckers.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It also took a very long time for tax evasion to be a thing or for sensical tax codes to even exist. People, being people, would notice that you paid grain taxes only on specific things. Like you'd pay a certain chunk of your grain only when it was baked into bread. The solution? Turn it into things that are not bread but still provide calories like, say, beer. Beer got taxed? Lol we mostly eat gruel now gently caress you. They tax all the wheat grains? It's barley o'clock, fuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnRNWyf1Rtw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Loxbourne posted:

There wasn't really a concept of "black" or "red" outside specific merchant accounts, which needed profit/loss statements in abstract coinage so it could be used for credit, especially credit for destinations at the other end of a sea voyage. If the land produced enough to live on then it was productive, and the landlord and the local steward's tax collector would want a percentage of the yield.

English law doesn't even have the concept of embezzlement until the reign of Henry VIII (not even the famously tight-fisted Henry VII, who overhauled the tax system and forced a lot of wealthy nobles to cough up). If your employees skimmed a bit off the top, then it was considered your own silly fault for not supervising them properly. It was a pre-cash economy.

red/black was just a shorthand. There's plenty of restance-lists in the accountings, and they carry forward until theyre paid off or pardoned. i have ancestors who at times were 5+ years in restance.

This was Danish law btw

also the local administrator was fired in 1733 (after 40 years of service) because of embezzlement.

i would cohere this post but im tired and i wish yall would do the math and tell me what the 300k above is precisely. i know what it is and if you get it right theres an av cert in it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krankenstyle posted:

i would cohere this post but im tired and i wish yall would do the math and tell me what the 300k above is precisely. i know what it is and if you get it right theres an av cert in it

According to gimages... it is ink

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ok, I'll give it a shot:

iiijcmixmvjctxxxx = [(3+1-0.5)*100]*1000+9*1000+6*100+(30+10-0.5) = 359,639.5

e: not sure if the v is supposed to be a v, but then again it would be kinda weird for the first number to signify the subtracted half instead of the latter j

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Nov 16, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Milo and POTUS posted:

According to gimages... it is ink
Looks like
iiijc mix moi cxxx&x

to me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

Ok, I'll give it a shot:

iiijcmixmvjctxxxx = [(3+1-0.5)*100]*1000+9*1000+6*100+(30+10-0.5) = 359,639.5

e: not sure if the v is supposed to be a v, but then again it would be kinda weird for the first number to signify the subtracted half instead of the latter j

literally the correct answer

the v is a plain v though normal math needent be involved. i came across a church repair accounting where its like ½00 skilling = 9 mark 6 skilling
skilling or whatever. literally that is how the guy wrote the number 150.

:wow:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Nov 16, 2019

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

literally the correct answer

the v is a plain v though normal math needent be involved. i came across a church repair accounting where its like ½00 skilling = 9 mark 6 skilling
skilling or whatever. literally that is how the guy wrote the number 150.

:wow:

Like you Danes didn't continue to use bizarre ways of counting till this day

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Also it's how you write a "1000 litres of milk" using that system?

Fader Movitz has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Nov 16, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Where I'm from everything was measured in kúgildi (cow worth). Which is æ, as the name implies, the worth of one (1) cow. Roughly equivalent to six ewes or 120 ells of wadmal (a thick woven woolen cloth that was the main currency along with dried fish)

A kúgildi was also the base amount of lifestock that had to be included with any rental properties.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fader Movitz posted:

Like you Danes didn't continue to use bizarre ways of counting till this day

cf above re halvtreds my friend

FreudianSlippers posted:

Where I'm from everything was measured in kúgildi (cow worth). Which is æ, as the name implies, the worth of one (1) cow. Roughly equivalent to six ewes or 120 ells of wadmal (a thick woven woolen cloth that was the main currency along with dried fish)

A kúgildi was also the base amount of lifestock that had to be included with any rental properties.

here, an Ol was 80 herring on a stick. you got ripped off

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

cf above re halvtreds my friend

here, an Ol was 80 herring on a stick. you got ripped off

I think I already posted this, so just a short quote.

quote:

And two Weys of wool make a sack, And 12 sacks make a last. But a last of herrings contains 10 thousand, and each Thousand contains 10 hundred, and each hundred contains 120.
A last of leather consists of twenty dicker, and each dicker consists of ten skins.
Also a dicker of gloves consists of ten pairs, but a dicker of horse-shoes consists of twenty shoes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Makes sense to me. Anyone wanna split this bind of eels? It's the only size Costco sells and I only need like 3.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that owns

im a big fan of barrels:
- theres the pure Tønde land area (that which can be sown with one barrel of grains = standardized at 13.824 square alen which each are 24 inches, so we end up at ~5516 square meters
- and the Tønde hartkorn (hard grain) which is an adjusted measure that considers the lay of the land. this is based on how much grain can be harvested from the land, classed by bonity, where the land is supposed to change through time to adjust for changes in quality. In practice, the changes were too slow and many farmers were hosed by their hartkorn being unrealistically high.

Anyway a tønde/barrel is 8 bushels, 1 bushel is 4 quarts, one quart is 3 albums = 96 albums to a barrel, exactly like the 96 skilling on a rigsdaler mentioned above. the reason for these numbers being the ease of division: 96 has more divisors than 100 has, so you rarely need to get into halves and quarts of skillings/albums. that said, one of my ancestors inherited x dalers and 5/64 skilling. idk if they ever figured out how to work with that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It makes sense that a useful amount of gloves would be half as many as a useful amount of horse shoes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a lot of weird and specific measurements from history. Son Goku in Dragon ball is apparently named after the approximate amount of rice to feed a man for a year. (A little ironic since Goku can eat that in a day)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It makes sense that a useful amount of gloves would be half as many as a useful amount of horse shoes.

It's 20 gloves though. Ten pairs.

Enough gloves for ten humans, or enough shoes for five horses.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Checks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbAlG65gYs

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

It's 20 gloves though. Ten pairs.

Enough gloves for ten humans, or enough shoes for five horses.

And that’s terrible.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of weird and specific measurements from history. Son Goku in Dragon ball is apparently named after the approximate amount of rice to feed a man for a year. (A little ironic since Goku can eat that in a day)

Isnt that a koku?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

Isnt that a koku?

IIRC there are hard/soft consonant shifts in Japanese, it might be the same word. (I don't actually know Japanese.)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

and if you're fighting over rice then you've got a Son Goku Jidai

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah it's kinda where barter morphed into currency. Some bright spark figured eventually if the barter is always happening for fixed amounts let's just use a placeholder that can encompass all transactions. And then capitalism.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Grand Prize Winner posted:

and if you're fighting over rice then you've got a Son Goku Jidai

I hate that I laughed at this, because this is amazingly dad tier.

Also yes, a years worth of rice is a koku.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

shalcar posted:

I hate that I laughed at this, because this is amazingly dad tier.

Also yes, a years worth of rice is a koku.

This is an amazing rabbit hole to fall into with Dragon Ball because almost literally every character has a name theme going on, usually involving food. Goku's granddaughter Pan is kind of a triple or even quadruple or more example for hitting multiple themes at once based on her entire extended and honorary family.

And I can see why, because coming up with names is hard, sticking to themes no matter how silly makes it so much easier.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
First a brief explanation of the behavior of radio waves, essentially the way things work is the lower the frequency the more distance you can get out of your signal. AM/Medium Wave and Shortwave signals can easily travel around the world, while VHF signals (TV and FM radio, ham radio walky talkies) are more local but still "bouncy" enough to get over the horizon, and UHF/microwave+ signals (TV, wifi, commercial FRS/GMRS walky talkies, LTE phones, microwave backbones for telcos, etc) are basically line-of-sight only but do have better performance inside buildings or in forests.

However there are two weather related phenomenons that allow VHF signals to travel much further than they usually go:
Tropospheric ducting, where the radio signals shoot through a atmospheric duct that is created when two weather systems of different temperature meet and create a temperature inversion.

and Sporadic-E, a phenomenon where parts of the ionosphere's E layer, which usually only reflects lower frequency AM signals, will become randomly charged and begin reflecting VHF signals for a short period of time. This is commonly used with amateur radio and CB radios to get temporary long distance contacts but will also affect FM and TV signals.

So back in 1937-1938 there was a huge increase in the number of sunspots recorded, at this time the RCA labs in New York City were working on developing the first American television broadcasting systems, and sometime in November of 1938 a engineer pointed a 16mm movie camera at a television screen and recorded 4 minutes of a ghostly BBC broadcast from London that had a normal reception range of 30 miles, creating the only surviving recording of a pre-WW2 BBC broadcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxi4bDikVZM

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

First a brief explanation of the behavior of radio waves, essentially the way things work is the lower the frequency the more distance you can get out of your signal. AM/Medium Wave and Shortwave signals can easily travel around the world, while VHF signals (TV and FM radio, ham radio walky talkies) are more local but still "bouncy" enough to get over the horizon, and UHF/microwave+ signals (TV, wifi, commercial FRS/GMRS walky talkies, LTE phones, microwave backbones for telcos, etc) are basically line-of-sight only but do have better performance inside buildings or in forests.

However there are two weather related phenomenons that allow VHF signals to travel much further than they usually go:
Tropospheric ducting, where the radio signals shoot through a atmospheric duct that is created when two weather systems of different temperature meet and create a temperature inversion.

and Sporadic-E, a phenomenon where parts of the ionosphere's E layer, which usually only reflects lower frequency AM signals, will become randomly charged and begin reflecting VHF signals for a short period of time. This is commonly used with amateur radio and CB radios to get temporary long distance contacts but will also affect FM and TV signals.

So back in 1937-1938 there was a huge increase in the number of sunspots recorded, at this time the RCA labs in New York City were working on developing the first American television broadcasting systems, and sometime in November of 1938 a engineer pointed a 16mm movie camera at a television screen and recorded 4 minutes of a ghostly BBC broadcast from London that had a normal reception range of 30 miles, creating the only surviving recording of a pre-WW2 BBC broadcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxi4bDikVZM

That's awesome. Reminded me of all the poo poo about the way waves propagate in the sea (which, like the atmosphere, has layers) we had to learn for hydrophone surveillance, which I have all forgotten.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Titanic had one of the most powerful spark-gap wireless installations on land or sea in 1912 - 5kW against the 0.5kW sets carried by most ships, and she carried a rotary spark generator which produced a clear, distinct 'beep' tone rather than the static-laden 'fizz' of standard wireless sets at the time.

The set had a guaranteed operating range of 200 miles by day and 350 miles by night (the lack of solar interference greatly increases the range in the hours of darkness) but 500 miles was not at all uncommon in good conditions.

When the ship was being fitted out in Belfast and the Marconi team were installing, checking and testing the equipment, the nighttime conditions were exceptionally good and Titanic was able to communicate with Port Said at the north end of the Suez Canal and a station on Tenerife, both well over 2000 miles away.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good thing she went down at night or who knows what might have happened to the people on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

BalloonFish posted:

When the ship was being fitted out in Belfast and the Marconi team were installing, checking and testing the equipment, the nighttime conditions were exceptionally good and Titanic was able to communicate with Port Said at the north end of the Suez Canal and a station on Tenerife, both well over 2000 miles away.

And then the Titanic's radio operator is ordered to clear a backlog of messages from first class passengers, most notably a stack of bets and live horse-race commentary. This means when a neighbouring ship, the SS Californian, sends an alert that the Titanic is in the middle of an ice field and they are stopping all engines for the night for safety, he responds (with his big shiny transmitter) with "SHUT UP SHUT UP I AM WORKING CAPE RACE."

("Cape Race" in this case referring to the receiving station).

This stunning display of professionalism causes the Californian's radio operator to roll his eyes and go to bed, for which he was later slated by the Court of Inquiry. For not ten minutes later, Titanic hit the iceberg, and despite being close enough to render assistance and even see signal rockets being sent up, the Californian sailed on blissfully in ignorance of the Titanic's distress signals.