Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Got this today and made a start on world 2. Worked up a good sweat and gonna try for 2 sessions each day at the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So the wife and I finally played last night. I'm.... Really out of shape. But hey, I defeated a super buff dragon and ran about .74 miles according to the game, which is far and away more cardio than I ever get.

There's no super gripping gameplay here, but there's enough variety, color, and distraction to actually keep me from thinking about exercise, which is 99% of the battle for me I think.

Also, oof, did not expect this to be so rough on my hands. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists around 5 months ago and I woke up today and they were a tad grumpy, haha. Might have to skip the overhead presses next time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, ordered this after all the hype in the main thread and this mornings Giant Bomb video. Been doing a full-body dumbbell routine for 2 months but needed something different to slot in for 2-3 days a week so I thought, why not. Seems very efficient at getting the heartbeat up from what I've seen of people playing. :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i've decided that to get the most bang for my buck from this game I need to be doing squats. did wide squats in battle today and after about 75 of them my legs are dead

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

there was one map that was just a long series of squat trampolines.

It hurt.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's the lead up to Dragaux 4 or 5, after the Four Masters.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Thighs are like the one part of my body that is actually in really good shape, so squats and yoga are my rest exercises when I need a break from focusing on arms and core which depending on the exercise can wear me down pretty quickly (The starting core one where you get on the floor and raise your legs is probably the toughest move I've earned so far). This is day 3 for me. Was achey after day 1 but it's gone now and I managed to fit in a morning and an evening session today to get in a full hour of playtime. Ending each sessions sweaty and muscles started to ache.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I do a lot of squats (and yoga) so I thought wide squats would be easy for me. I wasn’t prepared.

Also mountain climbers are the worst, that gym where you do four leg exercises is loving brutal. I am taking a rest day today because that killed me yesterday.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I don't even know how to do the mountain climbers thing. I can ace all other exercises, getting full points per rep, but on the climbers thing it's just furious stepping while hearing weak-rear end "flop"s from the TV, occasionally looking up to see that i score like a 27.

What the gently caress is going on.

edit: the worst is ducking during the river canoe sequences, and i am glad these last maybe 5 seconds tops each

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Uhh I guess the best way to describe it is you get in a modified push-up position, with your butt slightly higher than normal, put one knee forward and extend the other leg back, in a sort of runner’s lunge, then you switch legs while jumping very slightly.

They’re brutal. Not as much as burpees though, gently caress burpees.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
anyone got any tips for getting the game to actually register the Super Ab Guard? it does fine with both squats and the normal ab guard but I'm 1 for 3 with getting it to figure out the super one for whatever reason, and the time it worked I basically had to plant my butt on the ground before my avatar got into his normal squat pose.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Sounds like an issue with your left joycon, if it's not registering your squats correctly. Maybe you strapped it too high on your thigh?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Bought a Switch for this game, it's kicking my obese rear end but I keep coming back for more, which I gather means it's working. My body sure feels it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The wife and I are gonna play this tomorrow night, and we're both looking forward to it. It's such an absolutely weird feeling to be excited about fitness.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I'm questioning whether I should work my legs with squats again today or not. Yesterday I did at least 75 wide squats, which almost killed me, and today my legs feel like they're made of lead (no muscle soreness, but that usually only happens for me when I first start working a muscle group).

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Holy poo poo, difficulty 30 is no joke! Why did this evil game start me so high?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

JohnnySmitch posted:

Holy poo poo, difficulty 30 is no joke! Why did this evil game start me so high?
You told it you were young and worked out?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
That's what I did. It started me at 30 a week ago, I dropped it to 24 after one session, and I've creeped it back up to 27 right now. You get used to it if you workout regularly already.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was at level 15 for my first ten or so sessions but I have been steadily creeping upward one level at a time. What changes as you increase difficulty? The enemies’ power levels? How hard you have to squeeze/run/whatever to get it to register?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
At difficulty 3 you do three squats.
At level 15, you do 15 squats

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was at level 15 for my first ten or so sessions but I have been steadily creeping upward one level at a time. What changes as you increase difficulty? The enemies’ power levels? How hard you have to squeeze/run/whatever to get it to register?
It's the number of reps you need to do per skill use.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is it the same amount of total damage per skill with all reps summed up?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It would be nice to have part-based difficulty settings or something. Planks I can knock out 30 with little issue. But squats I have been saving for the end of fights because when I do 30 of those I am out of commission for a good half minute or so

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Chin Strap posted:

Is it the same amount of total damage per skill with all reps summed up?

Yes, and the experience is the same as well. It's always 300 xp for a complete attack or healing move regardless of number of reps.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It would be nice to have part-based difficulty settings or something. Planks I can knock out 30 with little issue. But squats I have been saving for the end of fights because when I do 30 of those I am out of commission for a good half minute or so

I was thinking the same thing. I could ring raise combo all day but I'm shaking and grunting to get through a second set of leg lifts or a third set of overhead squats at difficulty 20.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Would be great to just hit a button after the set to increase difficulty of that move by 1.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

A bit achey from the sessions yesterday so did a real wussy amount today, although just enough to unlock planks which I'll be simultaneously looking forward to and dreading trying out tomorrow based on what people in this thread have been saying.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i haven't done a plank in forever since the attack isn't high enough. the high attack moves i currently have seem way easy??? like standing hip shake and the warrior poses. at least wide squat still rips.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I wish the warm-up/cool-down stretch videos that played before and after Adventure Mode sessions could be played independently of the Adventure. As far as I can tell I have to enter/exit Adventure to warm up or cool down.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been thinking about buying a yoga mat for this game? My carpeted open space where I can normally exercise is not near the TV, which is in a room with hardwood floors

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i haven't done a plank in forever since the attack isn't high enough. the high attack moves i currently have seem way easy??? like standing hip shake and the warrior poses. at least wide squat still rips.

I think at a certain point it's more what you want to focus on. I keep planks just to have a deep butt workout.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been thinking about buying a yoga mat for this game? My carpeted open space where I can normally exercise is not near the TV, which is in a room with hardwood floors

We have a yoga mat and butt pad, because the mat is good for planks, but i need something for my tailbone.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

There's a plank lv. 2, which should be the same move but with enhanced damage.

It's world 9 that gives you double jump.

But it also features Dreadmill.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 12, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mountain climbers bad

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bushisms.txt posted:

Mountain climbers bad

When I did personal training last year we only did mountain climbers while on an incline ie with our hands on a block or something and not on the ground. Doing it with your hands on the ground is just loving brutal.

I just unlocked skill trees, I’m excited. Also, read this article:

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/jrpg-fan-accidentally-gets-too-jacked-after-weeks-of-grinding-in-ring-fit/

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Good shout. We've got yoga blocks, time to bust them out

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Something about silent jogging destroys me, and leg exercises are the ones I’m best at. I think the motion is actually somehow working against how my body generally works, cause it doesn’t really feel like it’s working my muscles as much as it’s loving up my joints and bones.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bushisms.txt posted:

Good shout. We've got yoga blocks, time to bust them out

If you have like a low table/chair or an ottoman that won’t slide, those also work and will put you slightly higher. But i haven’t tried it so I don’t know how low you have to be to get the game to register your position.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Something about silent jogging destroys me, and leg exercises are the ones I’m best at. I think the motion is actually somehow working against how my body generally works, cause it doesn’t really feel like it’s working my muscles as much as it’s loving up my joints and bones.

I don't know if this will help but for that I find it really shouldn't feel like the force is coming from bending your knees, but the hip muscles should be doing more of the work to drop your center of gravity. Aligning your back so the weight drop is smooth will also take pressure off knee joints

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you have like a low table/chair or an ottoman that won’t slide, those also work and will put you slightly higher. But i haven’t tried it so I don’t know how low you have to be to get the game to register your position.

Its just based on the position of the left leg. I was already crushed by the time I got to the climbers, dumb leg set gym, so I cheated the startup because gently caress holding that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

good news, the game doesn't berate you if you stopped playing for oh say...3 weeks