Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

sanchez posted:

lol. Someone at Volvo really loves complicated powertrains, all it's missing is a rotary engine.

Beautiful car though.

You’re missing the electric starter/generator sandwiched between the engine and the front wheels lol. Come to think of it, all this complexity and weight reminds me of the last time an auto designer was put in charge of an upstart luxury brand...

Does anyone know if the plan to resuscitate the Fisker Karma by putting a GM V8 in it ended up working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

got off on a technicality posted:

You’re missing the electric starter/generator sandwiched between the engine and the front wheels lol. Come to think of it, all this complexity and weight reminds me of the last time an auto designer was put in charge of an upstart luxury brand...

Does anyone know if the plan to resuscitate the Fisker Karma by putting a GM V8 in it ended up working?

I see them around but I live in the city where they are based. Still sexy as hell. I miss the solar roof.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
spy shots of the Mustang SUV EV came out yesterday and its uh... uhhhhh

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I feel like a circa 2012 meme needs to be made out of hyperbole & a half with "CROSSOVER ALL THE THINGS!!!" is in here somewhere. :sigh: I saw an eclipse cross yesterday and it made me feel like every day we stray further from God's light.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

spy shots of the Mustang SUV EV came out yesterday and its uh... uhhhhh

Who'd buy this who wouldn't be satisfied with a 2020 Escape?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The Mach E thing is the only alternative to my getting a Y come summer. There's no hot escape, but theoretically this is gonna have some juice. If not, welp.

Depends on what you want. That's why we don't all just drive a used Prius.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

It's going to be a "performance" CUV, 0-60 in 4ish seconds and such.

here's my approximation

I feel the need to apologize even though it ultimately isn't my thing to apologize for.

mustang for comparison

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 8, 2019

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

It's going to be a "performance" CUV, 0-60 in 4ish seconds and such.

here's my approximation

I feel the need to apologize even though it ultimately isn't my thing to apologize for.

mustang for comparison

Sad thing is, your's looks better than the real thing, if Jalopnik's spy shots are anything to go by:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hopefully it has better interior materials than the Mustang or 2020 Escape because hoo boy there are acres of gnarly plastic inside of both.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Hopefully it has better interior materials than the Mustang or 2020 Escape because hoo boy there are acres of gnarly plastic inside of both.

here's what i think the interior will look like

90% confidence on this one

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bold choice of holographic display over a standard instrument cluster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bold choice of holographic display over a standard instrument cluster.

It's actually lasered onto your retina, screen images are simulated.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yuck.

In other Mustang news, they showed a 900HP EV concept at SEMA with a six speed.

https://www.motor1.com/news/380563/ford-mustang-lithium-manual-sema/

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

opengl128 posted:

Yuck.

In other Mustang news, they showed a 900HP EV concept at SEMA with a six speed.

https://www.motor1.com/news/380563/ford-mustang-lithium-manual-sema/

Am I missing something with this or is the MT just so you can pretend you're shifting and vocalize crude car noises?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That mustang cuv thing looks a little kind of like a discount Macan. Hope Ford designers are reading Powershift's posts because his is better than what the mule seems to look like so far.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
An EV truck manufacturer bought the Lordstown, OH plant, where they formerly made the Cruze, Cobalt, J-bodies, etc. The closing of the plant has been a political football with Trump trying to get GM to reopen it.

Now I'm curious if this is vaporware or will be a real product, given the webpage their press release links to
http://workhorse.com/W-15.html
Is a freakin 404.

It's also a weird arrangement, where the former CEO actually bought the factory, and the company is licensing the intellectual property to the factory.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

ilkhan posted:

The Mach E thing is the only alternative to my getting a Y come summer. There's no hot escape, but theoretically this is gonna have some juice. If not, welp.

Same. Id like an alternative to the Y which has somewhat similar performance but maybe different seats and come actual buttons.
Ford could really do something great here, but Im sure they will gently caress it up.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Franco Caution posted:

Same. Id like an alternative to the Y which has somewhat similar performance but maybe different seats and come actual buttons.
Ford could really do something great here, but Im sure they will gently caress it up.
For me the Y is the first choice, but I'm Mustang guy too so the Mach E makes a possible choice, if it's a viable one.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Every time I see pictures of this thing, I just cant believe its actual real and not some joke.
It looks like something that would show up in one of those car website articles where a guy and his son built it using only an existing donor truck frame, a 3D printer, and a random parts from a JC Whitney catalog.
The name badging looks like they used loving Hobby Lobby stickers and stencils.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I keep reading the badge as WONKHORSE so that is what it will forever be to me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Franco Caution posted:

Every time I see pictures of this thing, I just cant believe its actual real and not some joke.
It looks like something that would show up in one of those car website articles where a guy and his son built it using only an existing donor truck frame, a 3D printer, and a random parts from a JC Whitney catalog.
The name badging looks like they used loving Hobby Lobby stickers and stencils.

It could still be a joke. Not sure if it's vaporware or not.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Am I missing something with this or is the MT just so you can pretend you're shifting and vocalize crude car noises?

That's it.

To be honest, it's easily one of the only recent indications that any car company "gets" the point of modern manual transmissions. It serves absolutely no purpose, it's just there to make the car more fun and interesting. Shame that nothing like it will ever see production.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I keep reading the badge as WONKHORSE so that is what it will forever be to me.

WANKHORSE. That's how they got Mike Pence on board.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

sanchez posted:

lol. Someone at Volvo really loves complicated powertrains, all it's missing is a rotary engine.

Beautiful car though.

As Doug Demuro said: It's a turbocharged, supercharged, hybrid, and not something I would want to own out of warranty

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If they're going to make ill-advised impractical tech demos, I want a car with on-demand KERS like a Formula 1 car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

If they're going to make ill-advised impractical tech demos, I want a car with on-demand KERS like a Formula 1 car.

I’ll settle for an r18

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Charles posted:

An EV truck manufacturer bought the Lordstown, OH plant, where they formerly made the Cruze, Cobalt, J-bodies, etc. The closing of the plant has been a political football with Trump trying to get GM to reopen it.

Now I'm curious if this is vaporware or will be a real product, given the webpage their press release links to
Is a freakin 404.

It's also a weird arrangement, where the former CEO actually bought the factory, and the company is licensing the intellectual property to the factory.

It's like a 90s movie set in the future's idea of what a truck would look like. How do you design something that looks dated before it even comes to market?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

Is a freakin 404.

Workhorse was the GM heavy chassis company that competed with the Freightliner chassis and Ford F-53 and F-59 stuff as well as the cab chassis. I believe the Kodiak and the Topkick were Workhorse chassis but I could be wrong. It was sold to Navistar and was kind of kicked around for a bit before being spun off to an electric vehicle company that, last I checked, was looking into making electric UPS trucks. I'd heard they were going to make a pickup truck and I guess that's it.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Oh hey, new Skoda!

Something about that rear is juuust right.

https://www.motor1.com/news/381533/2020-skoda-octavia-revealed/

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Maserati will build a final GranTurismo called the Zeda, it looks like this:

That’s not a photoshop, that’s the paint scheme they actually decided on :shuckyes:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29761874/last-maserati-granturismo/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i own every Bionicle posted:

That’s not a photoshop, that’s the paint scheme they actually decided on :shuckyes:

It looks like they DIDNT decide on it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's like a 90s movie set in the future's idea of what a truck would look like. How do you design something that looks dated before it even comes to market?

lets be honest this thing isnt really any uglier than the big 4 trucks on the market

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

i own every Bionicle posted:

Maserati will build a final GranTurismo called the Zeda, it looks like this:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29761874/last-maserati-granturismo/

I’m more amused that it almost looks like it’s in its natural habitat: being loaded onto a flatbed truck.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kerrow posted:

Oh hey, new Skoda!

Something about that rear is juuust right.

https://www.motor1.com/news/381533/2020-skoda-octavia-revealed/

I love this practical family car.

You know, I think VW could have a good run with Skoda here in the US. VW as a brand tries really hard for the "upmarket" thing here, and a budget brand of practical cars could go a long way to grabbing the Hyundai/Kia/Nissan demographic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, the Jetta starts at $18.7. There's not a ton of room under that for another brand price-wise unless it wanted to go all in on competitors to the Versa or Rio, but that's not exactly enough to sustain another brand in the US.

There's only a $2k difference between a Passat and Optima.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

PT6A posted:

Mercedes has got you covered with the new M256. Extra 160ftlb available after you spent some time braking heavily.

Edit: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a26907503/2019-mercedes-amg-e53-straight-six-engine-tech/

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I love this practical family car.

You know, I think VW could have a good run with Skoda here in the US. VW as a brand tries really hard for the "upmarket" thing here, and a budget brand of practical cars could go a long way to grabbing the Hyundai/Kia/Nissan demographic.

Americans love forbidden fruit.

Then it actually gets here and gets ignored because it's not forbidden anymore.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Americans love forbidden fruit.

Then it actually gets here and gets ignored because it's not forbidden anymore.

we love the biggest, most expensive, blandest fruit

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Cars are so dead and have been in the USA or like 5 years, if you're bringing a SUV or truck to America then it will sell otherwise it will not sell.

This has been true of all manufactures, all body styles, economy or luxury. Nobody buys cars any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ford has taken an ....interesting approach to EV sound requirements.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/12/ford-explorer-escape-hybrid-alert-sounds/

The video seems almost comical. Like a flying saucer is stalking the blind man.