Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that Hulu's default DVR doesn't allow fast forwarding of commercials, you need to upgrade to the "enhanced" DVR for that for an extra $10. That's the deal breaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Hulu's DVR also won't let you watch a program you're currently recording from the beginning, you need to wait until it's done recording. For some reason that drove me insane.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 30, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

trem_two posted:

Hulu's DVR also went let you watch a program you're currently recording from the beginning, you need to wait until it's done recording. For some reason that drove me insane.

Ugh, really? That's gotta be tough for catching up on live sports

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

trem_two posted:

Hulu's DVR also went let you watch a program you're currently recording from the beginning, you need to wait until it's done recording. For some reason that drove me insane.

Hulu: how can we do everything literally the worst way possible?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Hulu: how can we do everything literally the worst way possible?

When you lick at the boots of all the major content providers, there's nothing else to expect.

I'd hope that w/Disney owning them outright, they might get better but lol Disney.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

When you lick at the boots of all the major content providers, there's nothing else to expect.

I'd hope that w/Disney owning them outright, they might get better but lol Disney.

Yup. Hey the kids are going to streaming how can we give them the experience they were running from, higher ad revenue to us, and the same subscription costs? Oh right we literally own the rights to everything.

But even their tech stack on the backend is comically bad. At least a few years back they paid through the nose for comically expensive cdn bandwidth and didn't understand how other companies did it so cheaply.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Well that and no AMC kills Hulu for me.

Thanks for the supposetv link, I knew it had been posted but couldnt remember the name.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

We finally cut the cord last week! :toot: :sever:

We tried out streaming our content for a while and it worked out well, so I set up new networking equipment and had the cable company activate my modem. Everything worked, so we dropped the TV service and I returned the old boxes. We don't miss cable at all. Also, my self-configured wifi has been rock-solid compared to the old all-in-one box.

Right now we've got Hulu (ad-free streaming) and Netflix, and we're sharing a family member's Youtube TV account (trading our Hulu with them). We also have Amazon Prime available but we don't use it as often.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I cannot remember seeing it posted here but if you are an Unlimited Verizon wireless customer or a Verizon FIOS home internet customer, they are giving a free year of Disney+.

Sort of pisses me off a little bit. My wife and I have been Verizon customers for over a decade but we do not need their unlimited plan but somehow we are not worthy of the great Verizon’s love! :qq:

I have Hulu (ad free) so I am looking at the bundle since it is pretty much the same price. I wish they had an ad free bundle but it is looking like this transition is going to kill ad free Hulu.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Now that people are getting their hands on the new Shield devices, a curious bit of news came out of it. For some reason the non-Pro Shield apparently only runs in 32-bit mode despite having the same SoC as the Pro.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/325488/attention/

Granted this mostly affects apps like emulators, it sorta sucks???

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anyone know if Hulu is going to do the $.99/mo deal again for Black Friday? I used it last year and barely use Hulu, but if they repeat the offer I'll stay signed up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My guess is probably not but there will likely be a discounted bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+.

The point of last year's promotion was to get you hooked on Hulu until Disney+ launches and now use Hulu to get you hooked on that too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And since Verizon is giving away a free year to Unlimited customers, I’m not swapping for that bundle for a year.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Silly Burrito posted:

And since Verizon is giving away a free year to Unlimited customers, I’m not swapping for that bundle for a year.

Just in time for them to stop offering it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I subscribed to Apple TV+ and the interface and smoothness of the Roku app is complete and total poo poo. Image quality is good but god it's slow and the interface is choppy as hell. I bet it runs smooth as hell on an Apple TV.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croatoan posted:

So I subscribed to Apple TV+ and the interface and smoothness of the Roku app is complete and total poo poo. Image quality is good but god it's slow and the interface is choppy as hell. I bet it runs smooth as hell on an Apple TV.

Hell yeah it does.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've got an Apple TV and I have to ask, does YouTube TV do that annoying thing where the video controls are completely different from every other app? Drives me crazy in the standard YouTube app. I'm another PS Vue subscriber here so I've got some research to do!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

I've got an Apple TV and I have to ask, does YouTube TV do that annoying thing where the video controls are completely different from every other app? Drives me crazy in the standard YouTube app. I'm another PS Vue subscriber here so I've got some research to do!

Kinda. I really don’t care for how YouTube TV does it’s controls.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I've found YoutubeTV on Android to be really weird when shifting from PSVue. Back is used for everything including closing the app so it you back out of menus too much, suddenly you're opening the app again. Also there's no "return to live" button which upsets me more than it should by opening the app back to the exact point i left it hours ago.

It's bad control but no worse than Vue's "you need to select this program at least twice, sometimes three times to change channels."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of YouTube, I don't think it's rolled out to the Apple TV yet but the new update puts all the crap they have going across the screen (like Latest, Gaming, whatever) and now puts it on the side bar. Yay, now my Subscriptions and Library are further away than they used to be and there's nothing I can do to customize it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RevKrule posted:

I've found YoutubeTV on Android to be really weird when shifting from PSVue. Back is used for everything including closing the app so it you back out of menus too much, suddenly you're opening the app again. Also there's no "return to live" button which upsets me more than it should by opening the app back to the exact point i left it hours ago.

It's bad control but no worse than Vue's "you need to select this program at least twice, sometimes three times to change channels."

so that's what the Google Play Music team has been working on all this time

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

That sucks. They were by far the best for sports in terms of college football. Plus I'm going to miss being able to have 4 games at a time on my screen.
This is extremely sad/disappointing news. Is there any alternative at any price which offers quad view?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Croatoan posted:

This is pretty much the norm for Roku apps. It doesn't help that a lot of Roku devices, like those embedded in TVs, tend to be using quite slow hardware with limited memory. Even Roku's flagship device only has a 1.2Ghz ARM chip in it. It seems like every app that launches on Roku takes 2-3 iterations to actually reach decent usability. Developers have to take some time to optimize for the slower hardware.

The AppleTV and ShieldTV are many, many times faster.

I've always been disappointed in Roku platform performance as a whole. I bought my parents the newest 2018 Streaming Stick+ to replace their aging and slow Roku 3. It was not really any faster than the 3 in actual use!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've never tried Apple TV on the Roku but I've had the exact opposite experience with Roku. My kids both have streaming sticks and I have an Ultra and they've all be great. I switched my devices all over from Fire TV/Sticks and have no regrets.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Has anyone run into issues getting their TV Provider login (Youtube TV specifically) to work with NBC Universal sites and apps?

I can watch Sunday Night Football on the YTTV site or app on my NBC station, but I get an authorization error if I try to watch it through the NBC Sports app or site.

Same thing with MSNBC. YTTV, no problem, but it when I try the MSNBC app or site, I get authorization errors as if my provider login isn't authorized for it.

edit: Interesting. Sorta fixed it. I live in the middle of two markets. In YTTV, I picked the more local one. However, NBC Sports thought I was in the other market, so it was causing an issue with live NBC content. I changed my YTTV to the other one, and it works. Still working on MSNBC.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 11, 2019

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Signed up for Disney Plus and I have tried it on all of our roku TVs but it will not actually play anything. It says that there is no internet connection or that something went wrong.

However, it is playing just fine on our IPad.

Anyone else having the same or similar issue?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Signed up for Disney Plus and I have tried it on all of our roku TVs but it will not actually play anything. It says that there is no internet connection or that something went wrong.

Yeah a poo poo ton of people are all trying to watch The Mandalorian right now causing issues. It will be like this for a couple days.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20960956/disney-plus-unable-to-connect-error-streaming

quote:

The launch day crunch is causing some problems for Disney+. After going live in the wee hours of the morning, Disney’s streaming service is now showing “unable to connect” errors as customers on the east coast begin waking up, signing up for their free trial, and exploring the Disney+ catalog.

I saw it, and then it went away briefly. Was able to watch an old Mickey cartoon. Haven't tried anything else.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, it has corrected somewhat. Can watch videos now (my daughters watched Lady and the Tramp on an iPad but are now watching Fantasia on our Roku tv) but most of the pages will not load or only partially load. At least the search function is working.

I am surprised that Disney was not prepared for this but I am guessing that you cannot really test for a release like this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I imagine there are some urgent calls today from team Disney with checkbooks in hand to various cloud service providers.
edit:
But yeah, I am surprised they are doing this poorly on the rollout. They have been running Hulu for a long time and presumably have some knowledge of how to run a streaming service

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Disney owns BAMtech which runs NHL network, ESPN+, WWE, and Playstation Vue. Like I said, they are not new to this.

The fact that there are load related hiccups this morning just indicates HOW many people signed on for this service.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bull3964 posted:

Disney owns BAMtech which runs NHL network, ESPN+, WWE, and Playstation Vue. Like I said, they are not new to this.

The fact that there are load related hiccups this morning just indicates HOW many people signed on for this service.

Verizon giving it away for free for a year probably helped with that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've certainly used streaming services with a worse day 1 release, and it's not like they have some big live event that it must work for.

Reminds me of WWE Network launching right before Wrestlemania, and people saying "Well, I'm just going to order it on PPV anyway for $70 because the service is unreliable"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And WWE were smart enough to have a live event right at the beginning to test out the system prior to WrestleMania, and then accidentally showed the public that NXT was better than the regular product.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Verizon giving it away for free for a year probably helped with that.

Gotta boost those first year subscriber rates. This is a joke akin to when HBO couldn't figure out how to get GoT premier to stream at minute 0. It's THE CLOUD and you can and should have 1000% capacity online to smooth that first minute bump, then shoot it all once the peak shows signs of leveling off and subsiding. You basically call Akamai and offer to pay them whatever they ask, but these companies don't believe in planning and foresight only subscriber numbers. It's not even likely the bandwidth that is the issue, they push all that to local caches at ISPs, it's authentication. That's brute force computing power and lower bandwidth. For that you call Microsoft and offer to put their name on the launch in exchange for free computing power to handle authentication (username & password) and authorization (DRM) handshakes.

Hulu is not a case study in how to run a streaming service.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Gotta boost those first year subscriber rates. This is a joke akin to when HBO couldn't figure out how to get GoT premier to stream at minute 0. It's THE CLOUD and you can and should have 1000% capacity online to smooth that first minute bump, then shoot it all once the peak shows signs of leveling off and subsiding. You basically call Akamai and offer to pay them whatever they ask, but these companies don't believe in planning and foresight only subscriber numbers. It's not even likely the bandwidth that is the issue, they push all that to local caches at ISPs, it's authentication. That's brute force computing power and lower bandwidth. For that you call Microsoft and offer to put their name on the launch in exchange for free computing power to handle authentication (username & password) and authorization (DRM) handshakes.

Hulu is not a case study in how to run a streaming service.

“So the cloud lets me scale up but I still have to pay a ton of money?” is about how far that idea goes. I doubt they think people will cancel their subscriptions over first-day problems.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fallom posted:

“So the cloud lets me scale up but I still have to pay a ton of money?” is about how far that idea goes. I doubt they think people will cancel their subscriptions over first-day problems.

Nope, especially since a lot of people got them for super cheap or free, plus monopolies!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
As someone in the streaming industry this made my day H110Hawk. Thank you

EDIT: Usually the problem is emergent issues within your services where one small issue causes a cascade of failures in new and spectacular ways. I'm actually surprised at how well the rollout has been

EDIT EDIT: VVVVV I totally bought the three years

gariig fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 12, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

H110Hawk posted:

Nope, especially since a lot of people got them for super cheap or free, plus monopolies!

The best deal going was to be a free member of the fan club and get a 3 year subscription for $150.
All paid up front, of course. Can't cancel that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I know we just spent a page making GBS threads on Hulu Live TV, but whatever happened to the plans to offer Disney+ as a Hulu add-on? I'd really prefer to have all my poo poo in one place.