Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Democrazy posted:

I’m playing a game as Poland, who I have never played as. My goal is to gain the Achievements for cavalry buffs, abolishing the Sejm, and reaching maximum technology. How easy is it to abolish the Sejm?

I think so far it’s been pretty easy. Was able to consolidate Lithuanian hold over the Baltics, annex all the Prussian lands, and am now supporting Sweden’s independence to weaken Denmark. Aside from the Ottomans and Bohemia, any other big pitfalls to look out for?
Watch out for Russia, too.

If I remember correctly you'll have a small series of large rebellions when you are working on, or when you finally go through with, abolishing the Sejm. You can also pretty easily position yourself to become HRE emperor via vassalizing enough electors, then get billions of Imperial Authority adding your large swathes of land to the HRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Watch out for Russia, too.

If I remember correctly you'll have a small series of large rebellions when you are working on, or when you finally go through with, abolishing the Sejm. You can also pretty easily position yourself to become HRE emperor via vassalizing enough electors, then get billions of Imperial Authority adding your large swathes of land to the HRE.

In my recent Netherlands game, the HRE kept switching between Poland and Cyprus. Are the candidates for HRE based on the relative strength of Protestantism in the HRE (I.e. Protestant nation won’t get elected)?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Democrazy posted:

In my recent Netherlands game, the HRE kept switching between Poland and Cyprus. Are the candidates for HRE based on the relative strength of Protestantism in the HRE (I.e. Protestant nation won’t get elected)?

Only Catholic nations can be elected emperor before 1550. After 1550, the Catholic and Protestant Leagues form and depending how that turns out — they almost always fight a league war about it — you can get a situation where only Catholics can be emperor or electors (if the Catholic League won or the war was never declared), only Protestants can be emperor or electors (if the Protestant League won), or any Christian can be emperor or electors (if the war lasts an extremely long time without a winner or ends inconclusively or in white peace). Sometimes you get weird edge cases where one side wins the league war but then flops, so the only electors are two guys who keep voting for themselves because they have no other options, or something like that.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Don't forget Poland's greatest strength: foreign dynasties. You can pull of a PU every king if things line up right.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you're friends with austria you'll never not have a habsburg though

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

drat, this game is complicated!

Is there a solid guide to turning a profit? I struggle along with 2 or less ducats a month in peacetime, and when I go to war, I drop to -5 or so... after which its loan, loan, loan and I end up in an ever-worsening spiral.

Then I just need to figure out how to get institutions, tech and development which all seem to need the same resources.

And here I was thinking Portugal would be Portug-easy

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Moreau posted:

Is there a solid guide to turning a profit? I struggle along with 2 or less ducats a month in peacetime, and when I go to war, I drop to -5 or so... after which its loan, loan, loan and I end up in an ever-worsening spiral.

Then I just need to figure out how to get institutions, tech and development which all seem to need the same resources.

Portugal is easy in the sense that you buddy up with Spain and England to prevent anyone else from attacking you and prey on the non european nations. I honestly don't think Portugal is a great first country.

If you want nations that have an easier time making money, and are good for beginners, I would recommend The Ottomans, Spain, and France. I'm not sure how much you know about the game already, but mothballing your forts during peacetime and using war taxes helps. Try to get rid of forts you don't need for strategic purposes, and take a good look at your budget screen to figure out exactly where you're losing money. Also, learning about trade and how to use your merchants helps too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's literally impossible to fail as France.

You can start on 13 July 1789 and still handily dominate.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Moreau posted:

Developing the hell out of a gold province will work wonders and is relatively easy to do, then you can get higher level advisors etc

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Poil posted:

It appears the missions tab doesn't like it if you form Ireland as a pirate republic.

belatedly, but pirate republic actually breaks all mission trees

aesthetically only, luckily

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Moreau posted:

Start learning the Merchant mechanics and learn to love your light ships to protect trade.

Also, I just did a normal ironman run of Venice and managed to form Italy and eliminate the Ottomans, so I am happy.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Moreau posted:

I routinely play Portugal as sort of a relaxing, "easy" game since I just gently caress off around the world with massive trade income while buddying with Spain and France. Took on a crumbling Ming pre-Manchu with Spain once, which was fun. However, up until 1500, Portugal is harder to manage, but as long as you're not historically loving yourself, it's fine.

I usually take the national tax modifier option in the Duke of Coimbra event, get some sweet merchant estate cash, tell England to gently caress off to prevent Burgundy-swarm or France occupying everything, and work on the early missions for claims and trade modifiers. All that while looking for opportunities to gently caress Morrocco (Sus/Tafilalt independence, Castile reconquista). Develop Lisbon and Port a bit too.

You should easily be able to build a couple of marketplaces and even replace a castle in the first decade with the income coming in.

spacebard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 10, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Holy poo poo, trying to do an Ireland run is hard.

At least occasionally on a Byz run you luck into an alliance with Austria and Hungry or Poland. Ireland is no good options.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Holy poo poo, trying to do an Ireland run is hard.

At least occasionally on a Byz run you luck into an alliance with Austria and Hungry or Poland. Ireland is no good options.

It really isn't. Conquer your neighbors until you're big enough to rival Scotland, which makes it easy to get an alliance with England. Then use England to beat up Scotland until you're big enough to beat up England.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Trying to learn to play as EUIV. Started as Portugal based on another goon's suggestion. I'm finding the inability to earn money really frustrating. Even when I use every cost-cutting measure (like min-maxxing military maintenance) I'm in the red more often than not.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Trying to learn to play as EUIV. Started as Portugal based on another goon's suggestion. I'm finding the inability to earn money really frustrating. Even when I use every cost-cutting measure (like min-maxxing military maintenance) I'm in the red more often than not.

what are you spending money on? Are you over forcelimit/ do you have a ton of heavy ships?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey, I'm looking to play a game as China, but I don't want to start as Ming, does anyone know of a working shattered China mod? Or some non Manchu way to reform China from the base start?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

AnoHito posted:

what are you spending money on? Are you over forcelimit/ do you have a ton of heavy ships?

I didn't recruit any regiments, and I think I built like 1 light ship.

Do I just not hire advisors to begin with? That seemed to put me in the red more than anything.

EDIT: Okay, I compared my save with the original start and I think I built a few ships

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Do I just not hire advisors to begin with? That seemed to put me in the red more than anything.

EDIT: Okay, I compared my save with the original start and I think I built a few ships

yeah, advisors in the early game are more of a major power thing. You generally can only afford maybe 1 or 2 of them for the first hundred years or so while you build up an economy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Eimi posted:

Hey, I'm looking to play a game as China, but I don't want to start as Ming, does anyone know of a working shattered China mod? Or some non Manchu way to reform China from the base start?

Start as Ming, release a bunch of Vassals, play as one of them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Let's see, I have this one caravel as my whole fleet and want to sent it to pirate my rivals in the Constantinople trade node. The tooltip tells me I'm going to make 0.15 profit? After a monthly tick the economy tooltip says poils of war 0.08 with a fleet cost of 0.05.

Eimi posted:

I usually do it with the console (so no ironman). Just start as Ming, take a loan, declare bankruptcy, accept demands for all separatists and simply tag switch over to the one you wish to play (you probably need to look up the tag on the wiki). Granted you'll start with nothing but your land so it makes the first years weird.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 12, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

SirPhoebos posted:

Gold is hard to get early on. Realize that you don't really need many things you can afford. Before you develop your lands money-making buildings will take a lot time to pay for themselves (well placed Temple will give you +0.15 per months which means will start paying for itself in ~55 years, and some of the costs like most even costs scale with your income - granted, there may be other benefits to temples or that province can later get bonus but it will still be negligeble). For the same 100g you can probably get 5 infantry regiments and maintain them for 5 years. Same with advisors: many of them give negligible bonus and you mainly take them for the MP bonus, but this 1MP for 1 gold ratio per month might be too much for a small country.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pumping monarch points into developing provinces, specifically plains/farms provinces with good trade goods, will also help you to get some cash early on as a smaller country. Building bonuses are also higher on high-development provinces, so those temples and marketplaces will pay for themselves faster.

Not sure how viable this is in MP but in a meandering SP game it works well.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Drone posted:

Pumping monarch points into developing provinces, specifically plains/farms provinces with good trade goods, will also help you to get some cash early on as a smaller country. Building bonuses are also higher on high-development provinces, so those temples and marketplaces will pay for themselves faster.

As mentioned above, this is true but worth contextualizing - "faster" might mean over 25 years instead of 50. Otoh those 5 infantry units might win you a war where you get land, tribute, and reparations.
If you really want to Git Gud at money, I'd recommend watching these videos
https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/bynmu5/a_complete_guide_to_eu4_economics_part_0/
They're stupendously detailed, but will tell you what you want to know.

Poil posted:

Let's see, I have this one caravel as my whole fleet and want to sent it to pirate my rivals in the Constantinople trade node. The tooltip tells me I'm going to make 0.15 profit? After a monthly tick the economy tooltip says poils of war 0.08 with a fleet cost of 0.05.
I never know whether this is because tooltips are liars, or because (eg) ottomans started protecting trade in response to the piracy.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

How my team became a Great Power in the EU4 Poland Lan this weekend was literally through just drevving like absolute madmen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, when I tried my first Ainu run I had to develop for feudal in order to build up for the renaissance and then colonialism and printing press so the three province island ended up with an absolutely absurd amount of population. My two grasslands were by far the most powerful provinces in the entire world.

I usually develop any province with a total ending in a 9 or 8 for the extra building slot. So worth it in my opinion.

awesmoe posted:

I never know whether this is because tooltips are liars, or because (eg) ottomans started protecting trade in response to the piracy.
The former, no one is hunting pirates at all.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 12, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirPhoebos posted:

Also mothball (or sell) your starting heavies, that'll save you a bunch of money, and be sure to send any light ships you might have to protect trade (it's possible sending them out to privateer would make you more money but protect is the safe lazy option to start out with)

If you grab an alliance with Castille it's also pretty safe to mothball your non-african forts (never have an unmaintained fort on the Morocco border) and turn down army maintenance to save more cash

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Drone posted:

It is, if anything, significantly more effective in MP, since your expansion tends to get blocked by other players, and you need to dev up to continue growing properly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Azhais posted:

Also mothball (or sell) your starting heavies, that'll save you a bunch of money, and be sure to send any light ships you might have to protect trade (it's possible sending them out to privateer would make you more money but protect is the safe lazy option to start out with)

If you grab an alliance with Castille it's also pretty safe to mothball your non-african forts (never have an unmaintained fort on the Morocco border) and turn down army maintenance to save more cash

Don't know how mothballing work, either for ships or forts.

Restarted the campaign, and did a little better money-wise (I watched what ships I was building and didn't go all-out on advisors). My initial moves looked pretty straight forward: I got an alliance with Castille and England, got a claim on Tangiers and used Castille to win my war with Morocco. I'm not sure what I do after that. I got claims in Galacia and Leon but seeing Castille's army in action makes me leery of taking them on. Do I just wait for the truce to expire to keep expanding into Africa?

EDIT: how should I balance using Monarch points to develop provinces vs teching up?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Don't know how mothballing work, either for ships or forts.

Restarted the campaign, and did a little better money-wise (I watched what ships I was building and didn't go all-out on advisors). My initial moves looked pretty straight forward: I got an alliance with Castille and England, got a claim on Tangiers and used Castille to win my war with Morocco. I'm not sure what I do after that. I got claims in Galacia and Leon but seeing Castille's army in action makes me leery of taking them on. Do I just wait for the truce to expire to keep expanding into Africa?

EDIT: how should I balance using Monarch points to develop provinces vs teching up?

there are mothball buttons when you select a fleet or a province with a fort. press them and your fleet/fort becomes effectively useless until un-mothballed, but you only pay half-maintenance. the early game for a mid-sized nation is basically an optimization puzzle where you have to determine when and how long you should go into a deficit on having a fully-geared military. you can ramp back up to full effectiveness within a few months, so it's not really a good idea to waste money just to be ready for war at any time.

for a european nation, developing is not a priority. you won't get the powerful secondary benefit of getting a new institution quickly by developing a province a bunch, because you're european and will get most of the institutions quite quickly after they activate without needing to develop them yourself. tech and ideas are much more important in general than development, because they provide broad bonuses to your whole nation while you can always seize more development through war, though of course that also has point costs.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 12, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirPhoebos posted:

The most important advice I can give tech wise is never fall behind on military tech, and as such don't do a mil idea group first 90% of the time

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

You definitely have to develop provinces when you near the limit of MP or when your Institution Tech Penalty ticks up and you have a juice province you can develop to get the institution.

There are also special cases like Gold provinces - it's nice to develop them but there are certain thresholds that may trigger gold mine depletion eventually. I think trade good tooltip might tell you about it. Some provinces have good bonuses to development cost, and later you get help from tech like with University building.

In most cases you want military tech ASAP. Diplomacy can usually wait unless you're colonizing or rely on trading (unlikely early for most nations). Government tech is usually good for unlocking idea slot. You can't abandon those techs though, if one of the techs is more than 2 below than any other you start getting corruption.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I normally prioritise tech over anything non-critical unless I'm taking ahead-of-time penalties.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilitarist posted:

There are also special cases like Gold provinces - it's nice to develop them but there are certain thresholds that may trigger gold mine depletion eventually.

They got rid of these thresholds a while ago, now gold mines have a chance to deplete at any development level higher than 1.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ilitarist posted:

You definitely have to develop provinces when you near the limit of MP or when your Institution Tech Penalty ticks up and you have a juice province you can develop to get the institution.

There are also special cases like Gold provinces - it's nice to develop them but there are certain thresholds that may trigger gold mine depletion eventually. I think trade good tooltip might tell you about it. Some provinces have good bonuses to development cost, and later you get help from tech like with University building.

In most cases you want military tech ASAP. Diplomacy can usually wait unless you're colonizing or rely on trading (unlikely early for most nations). Government tech is usually good for unlocking idea slot. You can't abandon those techs though, if one of the techs is more than 2 below than any other you start getting corruption.

What's a juice province?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I meant juice, as in appealing. The province with good development potential, which often means Trade Center, good geography (pastures are easier to develop), low initial development. You throw development at it and you quickly get a lot of income and manpower from it as well as develop an institution.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Got it.

Another question: when I select rivals, it shows the nation's relative army/navy size. Is there another way to get this information, since it would be handy to see before preparing to go to war?

Speaking of, when I'm about to declare war, it shows a list of who which allies will get called in on each side, but I've sometimes had trouble finding a nation. Is there a map mode that will show who's going to join in before I commit?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the ledger under Military there's a page that will show everyone's total army size and manpower reserve. You can filter it for allies, war enemies, rivals, etc or just by typing the names of specific countries.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

SirPhoebos posted:

Got it.

Another question: when I select rivals, it shows the nation's relative army/navy size. Is there another way to get this information, since it would be handy to see before preparing to go to war?

Speaking of, when I'm about to declare war, it shows a list of who which allies will get called in on each side, but I've sometimes had trouble finding a nation. Is there a map mode that will show who's going to join in before I commit?

Check the ledger, bottom right corner.

Diplo map mode, click on the nation in question to see who their allies are, though the only way to know who will support them in war is by checking the war declaration screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why is embracing the Renaissance so drat expensive? I had to take out multiple loans. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

EDIT: after three Portugal games stalled due to learning pangs, I feel like I need a new recommendation for a beginner's nation.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 13, 2019