Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Godholio posted:

Part of that is due to the shift towards ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT ALL THE TIME FOR STREAMING that everybody's doing. Whereas HBO's originals have almost always been loving phenomenal, we're likely to see a lot of dilution. I'm hopeful they'll still piece together masterpieces, but there's gonna be a lot more poo poo that stuck to the wall since they have to create a lot more.

It's partly that, but also partly that everyone and their kid brother is launching an independent streaming service. With Disney swallowing Fox and launching Disney+, I'm assuming that will remove their content from HBO when that contract is up. I agree that we're going to see a lot of dilution, my real hope is that HBO's reputation for quality still drives talent towards them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Honestly cranking out a whole bunch of whatever probably is more likely to result in interesting poo poo than just making remakes of action classics and sequels of superhero movies

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

aphid_licker posted:

Honestly cranking out a whole bunch of whatever probably is more likely to result in interesting poo poo than just making remakes of action classics and sequels of superhero movies

Best explanation I've heard for this phenomenon is that superhero movies and remakes and so on are the kind of movies where it's actually a better experience to watch it in the theater. Watching Arrival or Dunkirk in theaters was great fun but if I'm watching, idk, Life of Brian I'd rather do it on my couch.

I want someone to make a Red Storm Rising miniseries. Surely it's okay for the Russians to be bad guys again, right?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mortabis posted:

Best explanation I've heard for this phenomenon is that superhero movies and remakes and so on are the kind of movies where it's actually a better experience to watch it in the theater. Watching Arrival or Dunkirk in theaters was great fun but if I'm watching, idk, Life of Brian I'd rather do it on my couch.

I want someone to make a Red Storm Rising miniseries. Surely it's okay for the Russians to be bad guys again, right?

As long as they leave out parts of the Iceland plot.

You know the ones I mean.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McNally posted:

We were just talking about HBO so that may be a bit of a problem

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

McNally posted:

Oh yes. They can leave in Vigdis with some changes I guess (without her there's like, no character drama at all) but for christ's sake not the bit where she's pregnant.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 12, 2019

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe leave out the magical stealth disc fighterbombers that can eliminate ground and air targets effortlessly

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Tacit Blue would have made a great multi-role aircraft, and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LibCrusher posted:

Maybe leave out the magical stealth disc fighterbombers that can eliminate ground and air targets effortlessly

Is this an X Files reference

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Before the F-117 was public people had some truly wild ideas of what it and the B-2 were.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's a reference to the mystical F-19 "Frisbee" stealth fighterbomber - remember, RTR was written before the F117 or B2 was revealed to the world. In 1985 there was hovewer wild rumours of said F19, started by the CIA as an ops to make life hard for GRU analysts. No I'm not making this up! They even went so into it that Revel (?) made a model kit, and then Microprose made a game of CIA's super plane lie right before the real ones dropped bombs on Iraq.

Cold War, man :catdrugs: Dangerous and insane and the best.
Almost sounds like Red Tide Rising would be perfect for HBO don't it?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Speculation about the Stealth project did lead to a "F-19" model kit and a video game based on it, and this was the same aircraft Clancy used in Red Storm Rising.

The notion that it was some sort of CIA disinformation campaign does not appear to be grounded in reality. It is much more likely that it was a compilation of open data points combined with the gap in the numbering system between the F-18 and the F-20.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
There was a Testors and Monogram model kit...I remember, because I had the Monogram kit.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1000961486

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC the actual disinformation project involved black painted A-7s with "stealth pods" (baggage pods) that had flashing red lights, fake antennas, and radiation warning symbols, and some leaks early on that made people think the technology was based on curved surfaces.

The models being a disinformation campaign is also partially debunkable by the fact that Testors also came up with a "Soviet Stealth Fighter" model at the same time that was a lot closer to "the real deal" just due to using faceted surfaces.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Valtonen posted:

Just by wiki article this system seems.. impossibly feasible. It sounds like it works, allows changing modules and cross-mission compatibility of some ships. What is this sorcery? Are you sure danish navy is a real thing and not a ideal-world example conspiracy? How come half the modules aren’t useless/ harmful feature bloat like in normal military procurement?

downside: it actually is important to buy the modules

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
A little bit annoying as usual for defense contractor videos but the Stryker A1s are getting pretty far along:

30mm MCWS, its an unmanned turret that doesn't enter the crew compartment so realistically every ICV rebuilt to A1 could be this, but it's pretty unlikely they go that far any time soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1BCWYQ3qU

IM-SHORAD, turret also doesn't enter the crew compartment last I saw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PnCJkAczHw

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 12, 2019

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Mazz posted:

A little bit annoying as usual for defense contractor videos but the Stryker A1s are getting pretty far along:

30mm MCWS, its an unmanned turret that doesn't enter the crew compartment so realistically every ICV rebuilt to A1 could be this, but it's pretty unlikely they go that far any time soon

Autocannons are loving sexy.

The sound of the boom-boom followed by the clinking of the empty shells is... well just drat cool.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

LibCrusher posted:

Would watch Red Storm but with flying saucers

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I want something new that's more of a mix of RSR and Red Army. Like actually something where the outcome is actually consistently in doubt and there's no clear idea who the bad guys are. I like how in Red Army its implied the USSR attacked because they were going to lose the Cold War anyways and this was their last gasp effort to win the one kind of war they figured they could win. But for 95% of the book it wasn't at all known explicitly. Which is why I can't really get into cold war thrillers because it all seems so cartoonishly one sided.

Maybe combined RSR/RA/And World in Conflict and include a Sino-Soviet invasion of a unprepared West Coast for tension. Just throw every cold war trope at it like a more realistic and grounded Red Alert meets Call of Duty.

I liked how in The Expanse it was just shades of grey and the real enemy was within.

e: To add this was something I think I always have come to appreciate about the Sharpe book/tv series (aside from Sean Beans only non dying role) compared to Tom Clancy clones. Sure France was the enemy throughout almost all the books but the actual French people Sharpe would meet with few exceptions were almost always pretty decent people serving a cause they thought was just. While all of the worst individuals were almost always members of the British Army, their allies, or British aristocracy/bureaucrats/politicians trying to grift off the war, serving only their own interests and enrich themselves off of the expense of people Sharpe cared about. The enemy was always only ever within on his side even if most of the time they weren't the ones shooting him.

It works really well because Sharpe is consistently being tempted to defect most of the time and its serves to create real conflict and character drama that he has to struggle between serving a side he clearly hates most of the time vs joining people who respect him for his obvious skills.

You could make a Cold War gone Hot series with a modern Sharpe who is like a left leaning American constantly having to stop CIA plots to coup nations or do missions to subvert genocidal generals tryio escalate to nuclear war between shooting at Russians who constantly offer him or her sweet rewards for defection and have a nuanced in depth perspective as to the shortcomings of the Soviet system being why the protagonist ultimately refuses while still making it a "Will they or won't they" especially in response to legitimate gripes with the West.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 12, 2019

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Mazz posted:

Just found out they have a pickup truck version of the Stryker–I bet it'll be a hit in Syria in 2040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1sPfIWe0hI

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want something new that's more of a mix of RSR and Red Army. Like actually something where the outcome is actually consistently in doubt and there's no clear idea who the bad guys are.

I think it would be difficult to write a book involving the Soviet Union where the bad guys are not extremely obvious

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hauldren Collider posted:

I think it would be difficult to write a book involving the Soviet Union where the bad guys are not extremely obvious

RSR portrays the Soviets as a mixed bag. One of the recurring plot threads is the relatively sane leaders in the Soviet Union struggling against - and ultimately overthrowing - the lunatics who started the war.

Oh, and bonus points for Red Storm Rising? The whole book is started by Muslim extremist terrorists.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cythereal posted:

Oh, and bonus points for Red Storm Rising? The whole book is started by Muslim extremist terrorists.

Who, while not quite being good guys, are portrayed very sympathetically.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hey now, it happened at least twice in history.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

RSR portrays the Soviets as a mixed bag. One of the recurring plot threads is the relatively sane leaders in the Soviet Union struggling against - and ultimately overthrowing - the lunatics who started the war.

Sure, there are sympathetic Bad Guys but that doesn't mean you're rooting for them to win.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mortabis posted:

Who, while not quite being good guys, are portrayed very sympathetically.

Yeah. I've read some of the old Clancy stuff recently, and something stuck out: Clancy would not fly with the right wing today because Clancy was shockingly not-racist by conservative Christian standards. He loved black and brown people as long as they were properly conservative Christians, and that's huge by the standards of the modern right wing. He wrote a Hispanic kid from the poor parts of Los Angeles who still has some gang-like mannerisms when he wants to be intimidating be a successful protagonist who marries a white woman and everyone approves of his intention to teach their biracial children Spanish as well as English growing up.

Clancy had his issues and plenty of them (mainly concerning women and environmentalists), but... it really says something when he'd be decried by the right wing today. Also, the whole point of Clear and Present Danger is that killing drug dealers and cartels et al doesn't work, the only way to solve the drug crisis is by dealing with the white people in the US who buy and use said drugs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

It could be in response to a perceived US first strike that was in fact a conspiracy by the CIA and major US business interests to start a war after discovering major oil reserves in Russia after a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia renders most of the world's oil reserves unuseable.

Basically a more realistic version of Bear and the Dragon.

Or what happened to Iraq.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. I've read some of the old Clancy stuff recently, and something stuck out: Clancy would not fly with the right wing today because Clancy was shockingly not-racist by conservative Christian standards. He loved black and brown people as long as they were properly conservative Christians, and that's huge by the standards of the modern right wing. He wrote a Hispanic kid from the poor parts of Los Angeles who still has some gang-like mannerisms when he wants to be intimidating be a successful protagonist who marries a white woman and everyone approves of his intention to teach their biracial children Spanish as well as English growing up.

Clancy had his issues and plenty of them (mainly concerning women and environmentalists), but... it really says something when he'd be decried by the right wing today. Also, the whole point of Clear and Present Danger is that killing drug dealers and cartels et al doesn't work, the only way to solve the drug crisis is by dealing with the white people in the US who buy and use said drugs.

Clancy though is consistently and hilariously racist towards Asians of all kinds with no exceptions.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Was clear and present danger the one with ospreys shooting down drug smuggling planes or was that hammerheads? Its been so long since i read either of them

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stravag posted:

Was clear and present danger the one with ospreys shooting down drug smuggling planes or was that hammerheads? Its been so long since i read either of them

Clear and Present Danger, and it was F-15s. And the whole point of the book is that it didn't work at stopping the drug trade and everyone who went into Columbia in a black-ops team to kill cartel leaders et al died for nothing.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. I've read some of the old Clancy stuff recently, and something stuck out: Clancy would not fly with the right wing today because Clancy was shockingly not-racist by conservative Christian standards.

I hang out with mostly conservative christians and not a single one would be scandalized by anything in those books.

He did go out of his way to make them inclusive. He has a Barney Frank stand-in that he uses to do the West Wing "the other side is still patriotic" thing.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No i had been thinking of hammetheads by dale brown. They shoot down drug planes with ospreys flown off oil platforms because if you do it in international territory its not illegal

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Hammerheads had the Ospreys shooting down stuff as well.

E:fb

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I cant remember why did the guy in the us govt decide to rat out the us black ops teams? Money or something else?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think he got blackmailed by the ex Cuban intelligence guy who was working for the cartels.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Figures. Cuz the vibe i had gotten from capd was "and it would have worked too if it wasnt for those meddling politicians"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Check out what they found in some guy's apartment in Magdeburg (pic at link, article in German but no interesting additional info)

https://www.volksstimme.de/lokal/magdeburg/sek-einsatz-polizei-holt-rakete-aus-magdeburger-wohnung

Looks like an AA-8 to me

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Suicide Watch posted:

Just found out they have a pickup truck version of the Stryker–I bet it'll be a hit in Syria in 2040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1sPfIWe0hI

That is Boeing’s IM-SHORAD, it’s the Avenger turret strapped to a cut down Stryker. It lost to that IM-SHORAD variant from Leopardo I linked above. The Leopardo turret doesn’t require you to cut the back end off Strykers or use existing Avenger turrets to keep the cost down.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

aphid_licker posted:

Check out what they found in some guy's apartment in Magdeburg (pic at link, article in German but no interesting additional info)

https://www.volksstimme.de/lokal/magdeburg/sek-einsatz-polizei-holt-rakete-aus-magdeburger-wohnung

Looks like an AA-8 to me

I'm assuming you can't just go and buy one of those at the German equivalent of an Army Navy Surplus store like spent LAW tubes?

It says they found all this stuff but they don't say whether any of it was in working order or if it's just some nerd's collection of deactivated armaments.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

aphid_licker posted:

Looks like an AA-8 to me

But...why? What do you even do with something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I'm assuming you can't just go and buy one of those at the German equivalent of an Army Navy Surplus store like spent LAW tubes?

It says they found all this stuff but they don't say whether any of it was in working order or if it's just some nerd's collection of deactivated armaments.

No idea, and nothing relevant in the article to any of your questions. They recently busted some Italian nazis with a sort of working one sans warhead

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/07/italy-seizes-missile-guns-raids-neo-nazis-190715232214911.html