Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Show is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

I am a sucker for a Carl Weathers appearance.

That handsome motherfucker is 71.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

That handsome motherfucker is 71.

:eyepop:

I want whatever stew he's been having

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Finally got it to play. Yup, show is good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wrt the 4k movies, can anyone check to see if rogue one got a 4k also?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Weird, so the ANH version is yet another revised version of the movie? Greedo has a new line and close up for some reason. Not sure if there are any other changes.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Kingtheninja posted:

Wrt the 4k movies, can anyone check to see if rogue one got a 4k also?

It did

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The squid guy's acting had me a little worried at the start, but after he was put into carbonite, the show reeled me in no problem. The big gun fight with the IG droid at the end was superb. Filoni's transition to live-action at first glance is pretty good imo. Super excited to see him further develop as the show goes on.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn that was REALLY good. I need more!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Episode 2 is out on Friday and I can't loving wait.

Let Filoni make live action Star Wars TV shows until I DIE

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Really got going after blue guy left. I enjoyed that well enough.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Yeah, that was a bit of a rough start- I can't really put my finger on why, but something about the blue guy's acting just seemed like it didn't fit with that "Star Wars" feeling. Maybe he just reminded me of Neelix from Voyager too much. But once I got through the prologue, the rest of the episode won me over with plenty to spare.

More than anything else, I was really glad that there were other Mandalorians. One of my biggest worries was that it would spend the whole season with him as "The Mandalorian", and everyone constantly reacting to what he is without ever really showing it beyond another mysterious loner. That, and them not being afraid to play around with the helmet design a bit like with the beskar blacksmith.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is Resistance worth watching?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Roth posted:

Ehhhhhh

I mean if you’ve already watched all of TCW and Rebels and really need to scratch that itch, then sure. But it’s not great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Roth posted:

Honestly, no. I've fallen off in the second season. It's just boring. When they hint at the bigger story, it's alright (though not great). But those moments are few and far between. When this (final) season is done, I'll read a recap and see if it's worth going back.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's a shame. I was hoping where it would be like Clone Wars and Rebels where it picks up after the first season.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Roth posted:

Not unless you're a preteen and even then, probably not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Thom12255 posted:

Was the 50 year old meant to be the big spoiler Disney had been talking about that was for Eps 9?

I don't think anyone said there was specifically an episode IX spoiler; just that it was big and monumental for the universe. which is sorta is...but the fact that Yaddle exists means that Yoda already wasn't the only one of his species we'd ever seen

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

thrawn527 posted:

Honestly, no. I've fallen off in the second season. It's just boring. When they hint at the bigger story, it's alright (though not great). But those moments are few and far between. When this (final) season is done, I'll read a recap and see if it's worth going back.

Same I watched the first episode but havent even had the slightest desire to watch any of the others.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mandalorian had some real good-rear end production values. And I love how game Werner Herzog is to do weird cameos.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
drat that ruled.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That was very good. I could go for a whole season of 1-3 episode bounty jobs with good cameos. production-wise, this is very well done.

I liked the music, but I kinda wanted more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuOArEfqGo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The music was incredible. Pascal gives a great performance even though he's always wearing a helmet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Codependent Poster posted:

The music was incredible. Pascal gives a great performance even though he's always wearing a helmet.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4xFmHg5dYvaqmn9ZNQpjWL

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I know it's the internet and people will make 30 minute hate videos on anything, but I stumbled across such a video and genuinely thought the consensus was people liked Rebels once it got rolling.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Rebels was extremely good, it's Resistance that people are pretty lukewarm about.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rebels is very good after season 1. Decently good in season 1 after five or six episodes and it gets going properly.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dawgstar posted:

I know it's the internet and people will make 30 minute hate videos on anything, but I stumbled across such a video and genuinely thought the consensus was people liked Rebels once it got rolling.

Rebels was great; even the first season, which had the usual first-season missteps, was good.

The thing that throws a lot of people with Rebels is that it is, ultimately, a kids show. A kids show with some surprisingly dark and heavy subject matter at times (say, lets take the corpse of a Jedi Master, hook it up to an antenna and a battery, and use it to generate Force echos to lure in wayward Jedi. Jesus!) but still a kid's show.

Which can be pretty jarring when in the same episode, you're examining concepts like sacrifice and betrayal, and you're also watching some stormtroopers act like keystone cops.

Watch it for what it is, which is a well-done kids show with a lot of depth, and it's good. Watch it for what it isn't, which is a gritty prestige drama about a guerilla cell of desperate revolutionaries willing to do whatever it takes to liberate their homeworld from a fascist regime, and you'll be disappointed.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 13, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Now is the best time to watch Rebels, because you can fast forward through the untold numbers of filler episodes that go between the truly awesome episodes that are some of the best moments in all of Star Wars.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Resistance just pushes too far in the kid direction for me, personally. The main characters are also keystone cops.

It's a shame because so much looks really good. Even if you don't dig the aesthetics the technical work on thr backgrounds and general modelling is leagues above rebels with its copy pasted Road and it's wierd playdough people, but actual plot and character is so diluted by prat falls its just not worth doing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who are Keystone Cops? I recognize that they're an analogue for incompetent, buffoonish characters, but what is it referring to? The only Keystone place I can think of it Keystone City in the original Flash Comics, and I wouldn't have thought it was that well known to be such a shorthand for that archetype, given most Flash stories are in Central City with decades, rather than Keystone City.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
They were stock characters in movies by keystone films. Just inept wacky comedy cops who would show up in both their own films and like, Charlie Chaplin movies

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jphxpi1ro

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ShineDog posted:

Resistance just pushes too far in the kid direction for me, personally.

I watched the first couple episodes of Resistance and that was my takeaway too. It just felt like in every episode the main character was supposed to learn a very important lesson about sharing. Which is fine, just not what I was into at the time.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I love Resistance because it's what I'm looking for (and got!) from The Mandalorian: specifically what it's like to be an average person in the Star Wars universe. No Jedi, no big ties to major galactic events (other than Poe/BB-8/Leia/Phasma cameos, just scrapin' out a living in a galaxy far far away.

The storylines are very kid-oriented, naturally, and I'm tired of Kaz flailing around whenever there's conflict, but the other characters are charming and well rounded. Having a bunch of well designed aliens populating the station is a nice change of pace, as well as the awesome pirate crew. Plus, they introduced the conflict of Tam joining the First Order, and had her decision make sense to a degree, which I don't think any of the other animated shows ever touched on. All in all, it's a pretty solid show to check out once a week, and you can look at your phone whenever things get too kiddy.

ALSO: they introduced this cute lil gay couple to the canon, and I can't hate on that too much:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Teek posted:

Weird, so the ANH version is yet another revised version of the movie? Greedo has a new line and close up for some reason. Not sure if there are any other changes.

The edits to ANH are getting out of hand, but I can't say for sure whether that's good or bad...

Roth posted:

It's a slow burn - the first five-ish episodes of Season 1 are mostly buildup to establish characters and location, then after that it's about par with the early seasons of TCW and Rebels

The last seven episodes of the Season are great though

S2's back to a slow start and it looks like things are kicking off next episode

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 13, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else planning on doing an anniversary rewatch of the Holiday Special this Sunday?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's impossible to get through.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Instead of watching Rebels I just started watching Clone Wars (and will get to the former). It was pretty good even if I was not entirely prepared for Truman Capote Hutt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007