Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

Were those aggro decks with Copter dominating the field though? I don't understand, people clamor for a format with more powerful cards and then get mad when those cards get played in large numbers? IIRC there have been no shortage of statements ITT to the effect that "Smuggler's Copter would've been fine in a Standard with Abrade" and yet it is now being played in a format with that card, and many other cheap Shatter and/or kill effects. Maybe Copter is always an auto-4 include but it's not breaking Pioneer in half to have it around. Seems like the problem will solve itself as the format develops.

Veil is obviously too strong for a Standard with the confluence of powerful green stuff, although I think blaming it for the death of Thought Erasure as efficient discard is a bit much. There were plenty of Thought Erasures being cast when Esper was the only thing with a decent chance against Field decks. If anything it's more evidence that they should've banned Oko along with Field. Now they have to overcorrect.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/pioneer-ptq-12014480#paper

Go through the decks and see for yourself. It's basically coming down to are you Mono-Green or Phoenix, no? Then jam 4 copters if you are creature based at all.
I'm not arguing its broken beyond belief, but as mono-green continues to get hurt by bans you will see this card take over even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm unconvinced by this on its face. What's his reasoning?

If a deck is looking to do a particular thing it's much more likely you can get it, and you can disregard the cases where you don't find the cards you need since hands that don't have them aren't worth keeping and the card loss is greatly outweighed by being able to execute your plan. Basically it's much more OK to go all in on one plan starting even from deckbuilding.

https://thezvi.wordpress.com/2019/11/11/ban-the-london-mulligan/

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Those reasons are green cards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I guess my point is, Nissa and Krasis were in standard with Llanowar Elves already, but then Oko happened.

Way too much of Standard hinges on Oko and it's hard to make judgments about anything until he is gone.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Oko is a hosed up Magic card

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has Autumn Burchet put the original gurus they altered up for auction yet? Money could be going to a trans charity obviously. Because I'd figure you could strike while the iron is hot and getting some cash for a good cause is a huge win, even if it comes out of the art of an awful person.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 12, 2019

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
(We all good here)

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 12, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

(Autumn goes by they, not she)

Edited. Sorry about that, it's a bad habit of mine and I thought I proofed it out before I posted.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NO TERFS ON GRUUL TURF

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul Zuvella posted:

NO TERFS ON GRUUL TURF

If I had the $400-1000 that I'd expect that card to go for, I'd have already PM'd them to ask about buying it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rkajdi posted:

Has Autumn Burchet put the original gurus they altered up for auction yet? Money could be going to a trans charity obviously. Because I'd figure you could strike while the iron is hot and getting some cash for a good cause is a huge win, even if it comes out of the art of an awful person.

They were borrowed

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Part of me wishes they only brought Temur Rec so they could write that specific phrase on a land, but I know that cannot be true

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1194305407164076033

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Holy hell this is bad content and holy hell is it badly written.

Why can't the elf nazi and fire chick be girlfriends, who decided on this course

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

They should unironically hire a fanfic writer for these novels, they would craft better prose and be less likely to make this sort of tone-deaf decision.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
It's so in character for the red stand-in to bottle up her emotions and conform. Really reinforces the red color identity.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

They still could, unless one of them dies in this novel? It reads (badly) to me like a further stringing along of the will they/won't they dynamic. I mean of course you have to suspect that the reason they won't finally commit to it is... not that great - either they don't want to get social-media-bombed by the alt-right, or the boomers in charge think it's bad marketing to put their characters into a lesbian relationship, or... I can't think of anything else really.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

LifeLynx posted:

They still could, unless one of them dies in this novel? It reads (badly) to me like a further stringing along of the will they/won't they dynamic.

Nope!

https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1194312227559477248

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/heyworstartist/status/1194336100736630784?s=19

I can't not read this as Gideon and Bolas were gay for each other out of context

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

I can't not read this as Gideon and Bolas were gay for each other out of context

This feels like one of those pretend, "We made a learning AI read 100k pages of fan fic and this is what it produced."

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Eej posted:

That'd be a significant improvement over the actual content

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

chandra, WHO IS NOT GAY,

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Eej posted:

i'm not a native english speaker but this doesn't sound right to me

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they loved.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

chandra, WHO IS NOT GAY,

CHANDRA WHO IS NOT GAY 1RR

planeswalker - chandra

+1 deal two damage to target lesbian
-1 put two 1/1 red goblin tokens into play with protection from lesbians
-5 get an emblem with "okay, totally gay. At the beginning of your upkeep, you win the game."

3 loyalty

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

In the wake of Gideon's and Bolas' deaths on Ravnica, they admitted that they loved one another. But both knew, deep down, that love was merely platonic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kurtofan posted:

chandra, WHO IS NOT GAY,

Nissa, Who Shakes Her Head No

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

I was and still am glad wotc is creating high powered cards. I just wish they would spread them out in the color pie.

Same, but I still want them to ban a bunch of green poo poo.

Hear me out: I love opening boosters, I keep pulling Royal Scions, and I want values to shift so I can trade them for Okos to play casuals with.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DangerDongs posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/pioneer-ptq-12014480#paper

Go through the decks and see for yourself. It's basically coming down to are you Mono-Green or Phoenix, no? Then jam 4 copters if you are creature based at all.
I'm not arguing its broken beyond belief, but as mono-green continues to get hurt by bans you will see this card take over even more.

Again, that metagame spread seems fine to me but I get what you're saying. We'll see what happens in the next few announcements. I don't think Green Devotion/Ramp needs any more bans either but I'll defer to the experts.

ItBreathes posted:

If a deck is looking to do a particular thing it's much more likely you can get it, and you can disregard the cases where you don't find the cards you need since hands that don't have them aren't worth keeping and the card loss is greatly outweighed by being able to execute your plan. Basically it's much more OK to go all in on one plan starting even from deckbuilding.

https://thezvi.wordpress.com/2019/11/11/ban-the-london-mulligan/

Yeah gently caress that. I'd rather deal with slightly more repetitive games and/or consistent lines of strategy in deckbuilding than drawing dead, nonplayable hands an not-insignificant amount of the time. London Mulligan has been a vast improvement on basic quality of life in matches, there's no way WOTC is going to go back.

Queer-baiting poo poo aside this is embarrassingly bad writing. There are entire tumblrs full of MTG fanfic that are better than this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

I am a native english speaker and that's because it's poo poo.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kurtofan posted:

chandra, WHO IS NOT GAY,

New Chandra, the Not Gay pw card incoming that creates 4/4 Brawny, Decidedly Male tokens

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Honestly Nissa seemed pretty coded as asexual but I don't think her being gay is like, out there or anything

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arivia posted:

CHANDRA WHO IS NOT GAY 1RR

planeswalker - chandra

+1 deal two damage to target lesbian
-1 put two 1/1 red goblin tokens into play with protection from lesbians
-5 get an emblem with "okay, totally gay. At the beginning of your upkeep, you win the game."

3 loyalty

This is terrible design, the first ability should be a plus 2 and the second should be plus 1

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Eej posted:

I just kinda rolled my eyes at the first one but this passage is hilarious. "For a brief time, we loved in a gramatically incorrect way. But it was definitely platonic bro, you don't even know. I did a lot of soul-searching and I'm definitely Not Gay thank you very much, phew."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Honestly Nissa seemed pretty coded as asexual but I don't think her being gay is like, out there or anything

Nissa's arborsexual so her +1 is stroking and her ultimate is reaching orgasm

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Writing “they loved” without a subject to mean “they loved each other” is a really unusual construction and also sounds a bit weird to me as a native speaker. But it might still be grammatically okay; I dunno? Like it’s implying their love is like an objectless state that they mutually share, or something like that, but this is giving the writer leeway he probably does not deserve

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

Nissa's arborsexual so her +1 is stroking and her ultimate is reaching orgasm

Stroking in a Veil of Summer meta sounds like bad deckbuilding tbh

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
oh lordy

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

vegetables posted:

Writing “they loved” without a subject to mean “they loved each other” is a really unusual construction and also sounds a bit weird to me as a native speaker. But it might still be grammatically okay; I dunno? Like it’s implying their love is like an objectless state that they mutually share, or something like that, but this is giving the writer leeway he probably does not deserve

No, it's bad writing and also implies the idea of lesbians is so icky the author doesn't even want to write "loved each other" as would indeed read better. You can understand it, but it is most similar to "better to have loved and lost" which is specifically supposed to make who you loved unimportant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Stroking in a Veil of Summer meta sounds like bad deckbuilding tbh

I mean what do you think that veil is but a bunch of plant jizz