Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Any time I see gamers organizing a boycott:

https://kotaku.com/what-modern-warfare-2-boycotters-are-playing-5403286

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’d love to hear what the criticisms of X/Y were because that game is just a loving blur in my mind at this point outside of Lumiose being cool and the power plant soundtrack being killer

No post-game (a 45 minute Looker segment and 'here's Mewtwo just chilling in a one-room cave'), Gym Leaders never going beyond 3 Pokemon each and lots of unfinished feeling areas (that town with the train to nowhere and the Power Plant buildings in the desert to name a few examples). Strong rumours that a 'Z' version was scrapped, which is backed up by Zygarde having two unique moves coded into the game that are completely unusable without hacking and him awkwardly being shoved into Sun and Moon.

For what it's worth I enjoyed X and Y. Another thing was that the game wasn't balanced around Exp Share so you'd finish your first playthrough a good 5 levels higher than the Champion's team.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’d love to hear what the criticisms of X/Y were because that game is just a loving blur in my mind at this point outside of Lumiose being cool and the power plant soundtrack being killer

In no particular order:
-Lack of content after the pokemon league, it was a few legendary pokemon, the looker quest and the battle maison.

-really bad pacing between gyms in the first half of the game

-that bug in lumiose city that erased your save

-the game difficulty was not challenging

-your friends were really boring and pointless characters

-outside of introducing megas and fairies, it was a bogstandard journey

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is my dog

Which starter do you think he would like best

Sobble

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is my dog

Which starter do you think he would like best

Charmander

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

drat looks like sobble is my choice then

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If I'm being completely honest I'm really banking on these games being fun competitively again. I really disliked the competitive changes and gimmicks made in gens 5-7, and seeing all of that stuff cut back down to size has me genuinely excited. And pretty much all of the new moves and abilities sound like fun changes as well, and I've even come around to giving the whole Dynamax gimmick a fair shake.

Literally all my favorite pokemon, Pinsir, Feraligatr, Torterra, Hariyama, Primeape, and a bunch more, have been cut but I'm not really at all sad about it. They still exist. I don't need to use them. I didn't really use them that much in the first place, I just like their designs.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you think everybody’s buttholes are sandy now about Dexit just wait until TTar and his hiposse takes the stage

I'm also legit excited for this too I love gen 4 sand. weather wars are gonna be really funny with so many weather setters, and Dynamax moves also setting weather.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

extra row of teeth posted:

If you did come across it, I would greatly appreciate it. My life kinda went to hell recently so I missed out on the last couple of events. I can give a legit shiny in exchange, got a couple by chance while completing the dex.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll definitely be lurking there after today’s chores are done. Even if they end up stuck in USUM or Home it would be awesome to 100% have ‘em all.

I have a volcanion if you want one. I only collect my favorites anyway, if there's any shinies you want feel free to ask me as well.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Do it then. It isn't harassment to say that frantically nitpicking every part of a game based off streams and second hand info is dumb and trying to pretend it is a Great Loss to you to not spend $60 on a monster collecting game is silly.

This same thing happens to every single game that is even remotely controversial. I can't even sat I'm blameless for it. (Hi there DmC) but this has gotten ridiculous.

I have no idea how you played Pokemon from the start because Lord loving knows almost every game in the franchise has been a huge mess held together with adorable creatures and duct tape.

quote="Johnny Joestar" post="499934743"]
come on, there's no need to be passive aggressive about it.

Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

TheKingofSprings posted:

in order:
-idiot trio sucks rear end and are super chummy with you in a grating way 2 seconds after meeting you. "Gosh, we should give her a nickname!! How'dya feel about Lil' A???" (how about you call me by my name, jackass)
-the villain could not be more blatantly evil if he tried, despite this, the professor and the idiot trio are all like :swoon: whenever he opens his mouth
-team flare was underbaked as poo poo, the power plant being the most notable example - it was well past the middle of the game and the "boss" at the end had 2 weakass pokemon, after fighting several grunts in a straight line with 1 weakass pokemon each
-mega evolutions were cool, the weird fixation on them culminating in korrina giving you a free lucario and having you tutorial battle her with it was not. That felt incredibly patronizing and token.
-constant kanto callbacks (the first pokemon you find are pidgeys and pikachus, the opening forest could not be more blatantly viridian if it tried, and the professor talks your ear off before letting you choose a kanto starter)
-once again, the idiot trio:

CommunityEdition posted:

I remember there was a fat kid who loved dancing. That was kind of weird.
They were all one-note jackasses. Fat kid likes dancing! Did you know that? No? Well he's gonna mention it in literally every text bubble. "Smart" kid's shtick is "wowee zowee, i'm gonna do the pokedex!!" He will be impressed at you for catching so many pokemon even if you only have your starter. (also his hair looks like coconuthead except worse). The girl (whose name I forget) is an annoying, bubbly, overcaffeinated squirrel who won't shut up. The game then presented these to you as "serious" rivals, usually via rival battles that were just as weak and anemic as the aforementioned team flare fights.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Wow I certainly did blot all of that out of my memory from X and Y, huh? Completely forgot about those three weirdos.
Though to be fair weird toddler-boy who invents things named "Sophocles" might be a weirder note I've seen Pokemon take. Never quite got that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

they're better in the manga

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My take that sword shield looks really disappointing and about 80% of the criticism thrown at it is valid, but also it's still a Pokemon game so I'll have fun with it anyway and you can't stop me.

I also hope people don't stop complaining (but maybe drop the death threats) so gamefreak feels pressured to either fix stuff or at least puts more effort into their next game.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

The thing I'd really like to see is removing the nickname restriction of traded/transferred pokemon. The only reason I don't nickname my team is because I know somewhere in the story an NPC will trade me a pokemon that I can't nickname, and it'd look dumb in my team. I don't know why they've kept that in.

Also does anyone know when the review embargo will be lifted?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Tomorrow morning, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

My take that sword shield looks really disappointing and about 80% of the criticism thrown at it is valid, but also it's still a Pokemon game so I'll have fun with it anyway and you can't stop me.

I also hope people don't stop complaining (but maybe drop the death threats) so gamefreak feels pressured to either fix stuff or at least puts more effort into their next game.

Unless they are willing to move away from a yearly schedule it isn't about effort more than literal time to develop.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

in order:
-idiot trio sucks rear end and are super chummy with you in a grating way 2 seconds after meeting you. "Gosh, we should give her a nickname!! How'dya feel about Lil' A???" (how about you call me by my name, jackass)
-the villain could not be more blatantly evil if he tried, despite this, the professor and the idiot trio are all like :swoon: whenever he opens his mouth
-team flare was underbaked as poo poo, the power plant being the most notable example - it was well past the middle of the game and the "boss" at the end had 2 weakass pokemon, after fighting several grunts in a straight line with 1 weakass pokemon each
-mega evolutions were cool, the weird fixation on them culminating in korrina giving you a free lucario and having you tutorial battle her with it was not. That felt incredibly patronizing and token.
-constant kanto callbacks (the first pokemon you find are pidgeys and pikachus, the opening forest could not be more blatantly viridian if it tried, and the professor talks your ear off before letting you choose a kanto starter)
-once again, the idiot trio:

They were all one-note jackasses. Fat kid likes dancing! Did you know that? No? Well he's gonna mention it in literally every text bubble. "Smart" kid's shtick is "wowee zowee, i'm gonna do the pokedex!!" He will be impressed at you for catching so many pokemon even if you only have your starter. (also his hair looks like coconuthead except worse). The girl (whose name I forget) is an annoying, bubbly, overcaffeinated squirrel who won't shut up. The game then presented these to you as "serious" rivals, usually via rival battles that were just as weak and anemic as the aforementioned team flare fights.

I believe our serious rival was the unchosen player character and you slowly break their spirit and destroy their confidence as the game goes on and it feels loving HORRIBLE.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

From memory and mostly from stuff in thread and friends because I'd loath to go on reddit:
-The story being dumb (mostly that the pacing? on gyms and the Buddy Brigade was tedious and the Team is bad)
-fights being easy (when they approach a difficulty without the eShare)
-new pokemon being rare (even worse in Sun/Moon)
-Fairy being a devastating type (I remember thread-people saying everyone will just have to field terrible poison/steel moves)
-Sky Battles and the oddness of this specific thing and "RIP Xatu"
-The lack of Battle Skyscrapper/Tree or PWT once you get on the train in Post-Game
-Obviously people complained about Chairzard and Mewtwo's double dip of megas, and power going to popular choices like Garchomp and Lucario, and that you get them during only office hours, but everyone loved M.Amphoros.

The games are still a hollow blur replaying them, but the transitional-system games are usually the low point of the generation.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Unless they are willing to move away from a yearly schedule it isn't about effort more than literal time to develop.

I assume they could also throw more money/people at it but I'm not a game dev dunno if it works that way.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Avalerion posted:

I assume they could also throw more money/people at it but I'm not a game dev dunno if it works that way.

i mean, yearly franchise with hundreds of people working on it is how you got the nadir of ubisoft games so i don't really want that for pokemon either

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

they're better in the manga

Aren’t all the characters better in the manga though?

When they’re not jammed into a rock for longer than the Berserk hiatus anyways

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I made that joke over in the Switch thread and Happy Noodle Boy nailed the response:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Avalerion posted:

There is a transitional time where new hires need to be oriented into the project and for them to get used to the code base, the standard for the team, etc. That in itself is also a time investment.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

extra row of teeth posted:

Ninetales getting memento and mystical fire. (Praise the sun!)

Sorry, this thread moves lightning fast. Why are these good changes? Also, Nasty Plot Gengar is going to be loving insane.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Machamp gets Darkest Lariat. Now that's an animation I want to see lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

The thing I'd really like to see is removing the nickname restriction of traded/transferred pokemon. The only reason I don't nickname my team is because I know somewhere in the story an NPC will trade me a pokemon that I can't nickname, and it'd look dumb in my team. I don't know why they've kept that in.

I thought I read somewhere that indeed you can nickname traded pokemon that don't already have nicknames. So, there you go.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Snorlax gets it too. THAT i want to see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

It doesn't really. Gamefreak could probably add more staff their team us notoriously small, but beyond a certain point more people doesn't really help and can even work against them. Outsourcing can help but also lead to real lovely and out of place like the boss fights in Deux Ex HR.

Same issue with money. More budget is good but money can't buy time.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'm not sure i fully understand the dexit stuff, i thought it was usual for not all the pokemon to be available when a new game comes out? or will they never be available for this gen? in which case the only guy im really sad for is psyduck, the only good gen1 pokemon
mareanie and hawlucha made the cut so phew

exp share always being on, i specifically like that, i've never hosed around with EVs though
the only thing that really bums me out is the lack of GTS, but there is apparently still wonder trade so i'm only half mad about that.

i'll play it and probably have fun, its a real shame they dropped the local coop though because i had a load of fun playing lets go that way

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Flopsy posted:

I have a volcanion if you want one. I only collect my favorites anyway, if there's any shinies you want feel free to ask me as well.

Aaaaa I would love one, thank you! :neckbeard: May I PM you?

In exchange I can offer anything from the dex and 5 IV mons as well as attach Master Balls or any other pain in the rear end items that could be useful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'm not sure i fully understand the dexit stuff, i thought it was usual for not all the pokemon to be available when a new game comes out? or will they never be available for this gen? in which case the only guy im really sad for is psyduck, the only good gen1 pokemon

exp share always being on, i specifically like that, i've never hosed around with EVs though
the only thing that really bums me out is the lack of GTS, but there is apparently still wonder trade so i'm only half mad about that.

i'll play it and probably have fun, its a real shame they dropped the local coop though because i had a load of fun playing lets go that way

Most of them will not be available period. There are datamine hints that some popular ones will be added in events.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Machamp casually sticks it’s arm out and grunts, opponent implodes in a fiery death sphere

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

People complain about "reverse feature creep" for the last few gens, but Pokemon has been doing that in literally every single generation. In Gen 2 they got rid of the infinite items feature from gen 1, and in gen 3 they got rid of the Cloning Pokemon feature in gen 2. And nobody really made a fuss about it back then. Gamers are just extra entitled nowadays.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Flopsy posted:

I believe our serious rival was the unchosen player character and you slowly break their spirit and destroy their confidence as the game goes on and it feels loving HORRIBLE.

When I first played XY, I thought for sure she was going to turn on me during the final boss. Then when I replayed it two years ago, it still read like that's what's supposed to happen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MissingNo has been ignored for decades.

Bring him home, GameFreak.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Unlike previous gens, the missing pokemon do not even exist within the game's code. All pokemon from past games will be able to transfer to the Home phone app, but from there they can only be transferred out of the app into Sword/Shield. So if you bring any non-Galar pokemon into Home, they will be trapped there for at least a year or more, not even being able to put them back in the game they came from.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

mabels big day posted:

People complain about "reverse feature creep" for the last few gens, but Pokemon has been doing that in literally every single generation. In Gen 2 they got rid of the infinite items feature from gen 1, and in gen 3 they got rid of the Cloning Pokemon feature in gen 2. And nobody really made a fuss about it back then. Gamers are just extra entitled nowadays.

i agree. I offer nothing but derision for gamers while being one myself, and I refer to pokémon as "my son" or "a good pupper doggo"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Even the $60 thing is like.. The last Switch game I played was Atelier Ryza which looks like a good PS3 game at best and like a bad PS2 game at worst. I still enjoyed the hell out of it. This is true for most JRPGs I play which often have budgets of $5 and some shoestring.

tbh I'm perfectly fine with Pokemon trucking along as a relatively budget iterative RPG series that just happens to make a lot of money, but even within that niche it does feel kinda deficient. even falcom/gust fans complain about some of the animation in those games, but a good point I've seen is that even as way smaller devs they at least try to paper over worst of it with fades or evasive camera direction versus Sw/Sh showing you model rotation in its full glory. I'm not steaming about it, but after getting over the HD hump and reckoning with their infinite roster bloat, there's really no reason GF should be making games that look worse than Ryza going foward, even under similar conditions (ignoring that they also have way less pressure to be making annual games to begin with).

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 12, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Avalerion posted:

i'm gonna be honest i'm kind of similar to this take with my one exception being that i don't think it looks really disappointing to like a notable degree. my single Hot Take is that ultimately a lot of what's present isn't too far off from what has already been there in previous gens, but people understandably have some different/higher expectations in some regards due to the console switch and all that. i'll also cut gamefreak a little slack with the wild area because it's their first foray into that sort of thing and maybe this is my inner warframe player coming through but i'm used to devs trying to shoot for the moon and coming through afterwards to tidy things up. it tends to work out pretty well.

overall i think nintendo is to blame for a lot of this, because the dev cycle has gotta be killer and nintendo seems to not want to give gamefreak the time/money they need and instead wants them to just crank out games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

EDIT ^ Yeah I think this is the product of the loving ridiculous 1 year development cycle plus the team adapting to making games for the Switch. Everything reeks of a solid foundation with lots of flat-out unfinished bits.

Like I said if they pull a Star Allies this could kick both Gen 6 and Gen 7’s rear end... but HAL is a rare and special gem of a developer these days and I don’t expect anyone else to do that level of content for free.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

MissingNo has been ignored for decades.

Bring him home, GameFreak.

I would laugh so loving hard if the botched code we’ve been seeing somehow culminates in hacking being able to easily bring about Missingno v 2.0. That may be why the Pokemon don’t even exist in the code, or maybe even blank spaces don’t exist. IIRC, Missingno and his glitchy family were “birthed” from blank Pokemon slots running wild. Of course the programming for Gameboy and Switch are probably waaaaaay different, but it’s clear that at Gamefreak the more things change the more things stay the same.

Also XY sucked and a handful of great designs like Hawlucha and Xerneas was the only redeeming factor.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 12, 2019