Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tales of Wonder Chef! :chef:

That would be great. He could join up with the Wonder Baker and the all-new Wonder Sous-chef and Wonder Sommelier to spice up the dated conventions of the series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Last Celebration posted:

Is Tales of in trouble or something? I mean, everyone knows Zestria was a stinker but Berseria was pretty great and I haven’t heard anything bad about the Vesperia remaster or the Xillia games

Endorph posted:

Xillia sold very well but was criticized for feeling unfinished. Xillia 2 was blatantly more a fandisc than an actual video game that could stand on its own. Zestiria was Zestiria. Berseria was well-received but didn't sell that well, due to the string of games before it. The Vesperia remaster sold well... in the US and EU, where we never got the PS3 version. In Japan it didn't move much stock at all. And in the US/EU Vesperia Definitive had issues with the voice recasting and some mild translation issues.

The series isn't dying or anything but it really needs a big hit.

All of that, and even Berseria felt like it was being pushed to cut corners both in its marketing and in the product. It has a very solid critical path and character quests but not much else, and parts of it that are there feel bare-bones or like stripped-down versions of Zestiria systems that sucked but that they couldn't entirely replace.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

All of that, and even Berseria felt like it was being pushed to cut corners both in its marketing and in the product. It has a very solid critical path and character quests but not much else, and parts of it that are there feel bare-bones or like stripped-down versions of Zestiria systems that sucked but that they couldn't entirely replace.

Everyone had 3 or 4 canned animations and they used the absolute hell out of them.

Take a shot every time Magilou puts her hands on her hips in a cutscene and you'll be dead after 2 hours

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's every RPG.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
People complained a lot about the skits replacing cutscenes but they still felt better and more dynamic than the last couple games which I think says a lot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If the cutscene is going to consist entirely of characters talking anyway, who cares if it's talking portraits instead

The voice acting does 90% of the work and you're still getting that. And it's not like this series has great facial or body language animations that you'll be missing out on.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah but in skits I don't get to see every character's head being obscured by an oversized cowboy hat with a Baul plushie on top.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Shere posted:

Yeah but in skits I don't get to see every character's head being obscured by an oversized cowboy hat with a Baul plushie on top.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope switching to a new engine let's Tales improve the most important part of the game:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The fact that Xillia let you put on three of whatever you wanted just for Zesty to make that loving points system is just so weird to me. Why did they see a perfectly good system and think "what if this was just plain worse to use?"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I suspect it had something to do with limited resources on the PS3 and wanting to limit vertex count on the models. ToZ on PS3 already ran pretty poorly from what I remember.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The fact that Arise seems to have the same premise as like 50% of the tales games concerns me a lot

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Does it? It seems closest to Eternia but even then the details are practically all completely different.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What tales game has instant death princess with man that literally cant feel things

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Caphi posted:

Does it? It seems closest to Eternia but even then the details are practically all completely different.

TWO WORLDS, ONE MORE ADVANCED THAN THE OTHER!!!

describes:

Eternia
Symphonia
Xillia
kind of destiny
kind of hearts
Graces

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I feel like getting mad at Tales for doing the 'two worlds' thing is like getting mad at Final Fantasy for making their stories about crystals.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a bit soon to make an assumption about an entire game's story based on it sharing a single trope with a few other games in the same series that's been going since 1995

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tales is generally pretty good about having a different twist or focus in each game even if they have similar worldbuilding

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I feel like getting mad at Tales for doing the 'two worlds' thing is like getting mad at Final Fantasy for making their stories about crystals.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Going back through Berseria with double xp and keeping all the skill masteries and what not is a fun expierence.

I don't know if it's knowing how to actually play the game better than i did before or maybe the extra levels and skills making a difference but wow am i wrecking every enemies poo poo. Even the dire enemies I've killed a few times now on insane when I ran the hell away all the time on normal :allears:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Paul Zuvella posted:

describes:

Eternia
Symphonia
Xillia
kind of destiny
kind of hearts
Graces

This is an extreme reach, especially considering you had to "kind of" two of them, Graces is also "kind of" if Hearts is, and they aren't even different planets in Xillia.

"Has two worlds" is an incredibly basic trope and you still had to go this far to find more than two examples, I think we're fine.

Also Symphonia barely counts since its whole setting is one big swipe of Eternia's, that's not representative of the series.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 12, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

describes:

Eternia
Symphonia
Xillia
kind of destiny
kind of hearts
Graces

I hope the twist is that there are 3 4 worlds!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The twist is there is only one world but everyone is CONVINCED there is a second one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gate to the other world is just a giant mirror that people keep bonking their heads against when they try to enter it

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The twist is that the people from the other world are just actors wearing really good make up, but they also have goatees, top hats, and monocles. if the person already had facial hair, top hats, or eye wear, its layered.

This is all just an anology for classism.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The twist is the less advanced world is actually the future version of the other world.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Caphi posted:

This is an extreme reach, especially considering you had to "kind of" two of them, Graces is also "kind of" if Hearts is, and they aren't even different planets in Xillia.

"Has two worlds" is an incredibly basic trope and you still had to go this far to find more than two examples, I think we're fine.

Also Symphonia barely counts since its whole setting is one big swipe of Eternia's, that's not representative of the series.

*in an extremely well actually voice* They aren't even different planets!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The twist is there is only one world but everyone is CONVINCED there is a second one

Id be into it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 14, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I can see the arc of the Alphen/Shionne romance arc from miles away:

Initial meeting in time of crisis, Shionne is cold and distant because of her curse

When Alphen can handle the burning sword, she realizes he can touch her without feeling pain

Some adventures with slow romance blooming

Alphen gets his pain back, angst because they can't touch anymore

More adventuring with angst

Finally, Shionne's curse is removed, and they can touch, and they confess their love.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can see the arc of the me/pascal romance from miles away

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alphen's numbness and Shionne's curse actually opens the door for a really interesting gameplay integration.

Alphen can't feel pain. Obviously, this doesn't make him immune to damage or invincible, he'll still have HP that goes down when he gets hit, but what if, to reflect this, he has super armor on all of his attacks, and he literally cannot be stunned by anything?

Shionne causes powerful pain to anyone who touches her. What if she does crazy damage to any melee physical attacker that hits her?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm gonna say that that is not going to happen and they're just going to play like normal-rear end characters.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Honestly if any of that happens its going to be like Alphen will have some char specific mechanic where he might be able to get like a hit or two of super armor while doing moves.

I doubt they're going to give you free Glory from hour 1.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, I mean, I can bet that anything with knockback will still affect Alphen, but having more super armor than usual will probably be his gimmick aside from him switching between his normal sword and that fire one (which I assume will drain health while it's in use).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/tommy_feb_26/status/1198581929718583299

Microsoft Translation posted:

Graces Anniversary Party was very, very good.
As Mr. Sakurai said, the flow of the appearance of the solo event is shaped one by one gives the Tales brand a new perspective.

I'm sorry I didn't announce my remaster this time. But I took your feelings deeply.
#TOG

So no remaster but Sakurai was there? Not like I can tell based on the context of this tweet if it's smash bros Sakurai, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Asbel's voice actor is Takahiro Sakurai, so they definitely meant him.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Really? Remasters getting poo poo out every month it feels like and we can't get the best battle system on modem consoles? Come on!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They remastered Vesperia like a year ago, that's about it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Caphi posted:

They remastered Vesperia like a year ago, that's about it.

I just meant remasters in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it's not like he said they'd never ever do it, it's just not the point of the little anniversary thing, and given the series' history it's probably a good idea not to rush poo poo for anniversaries