Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pft, guys. Dis dumb manga lady don't even know her own words. Lemme show her how it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You very rarely use terms like brother as a term of address in English, so even in more mundane settings a proper translation would use a name instead of the word brother.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dogsicle posted:

with only one character using didi vs the entirety of the rest of the cast using dia, the difference in the relationship expressed by that should be apparent imo.

seriously lmao, i am losing my mind over this its the most apparent thing in the world

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

You very rarely use terms like brother as a term of address in English, so even in more mundane settings a proper translation would use a name instead of the word brother.

w-well, brother and its permutations specifically get used pretty frequently, and not just by hulk hogan. just not among actual family which i'll grant is probably what you meant

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was not expecting a Wrestling reference to be thrown in here, but here we are. The true cream of the crop.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Patware posted:

w-well, brother and its permutations specifically get used pretty frequently, and not just by hulk hogan. just not among actual family which i'll grant is probably what you meant

I AM A REAL LU-NAR-IAN
STOMP ON THE RIGHTS OF EVERY GEM

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If the Japanese version allows the in-universe characters to dip into gendered terms (eg nii-chan, kare) to describe other non-gendered characters I think the English version should too, and I'd be curious about Ichikawa's reasoning regarding the difference.
because it would be a lot harder to do in Japanese without feeling really weird and not weird in the intended way. Same reason Japanese versions of stuff tend repeat words and use proper names more often than English. Same English runs into difficulty with differentiating plural second person from singular second person. Languages are different and require different word choices. The author was aware of this and actually took it into account in their request. Stop being weird about it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Terrible Opinions posted:

because it would be a lot harder to do in Japanese without feeling really weird and not weird in the intended way. Same reason Japanese versions of stuff tend repeat words and use proper names more often than English. Same English runs into difficulty with differentiating plural second person from singular second person. Languages are different and require different word choices. The author was aware of this and actually took it into account in their request. Stop being weird about it.

I'll have y'all know that there's a perfectly good plural secondary pronoun in English :colbert:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Y'all can also be singular.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I meant Yankie/Limey English not God's English.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Julias posted:

I'll have y'all know that there's a perfectly good plural secondary pronoun in English :colbert:

It took me a minute to see that you were using yall intentionally, I use it so much

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Going through this thread and seeing "Didi" isn't gendered actually kinda messed with me because I kept reading it as the Pinyin for 弟弟 which is literally "little brother" so I'm pretty sure it was a multilingual joke from the beginning.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
it would be weird to be a trilingual joke instead of like, the actual thing a lot of english speakers do when talking to siblings

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

it would be weird to be a trilingual joke instead of like, the actual thing a lot of english speakers do when talking to siblings

That's fair. Probably just a funny coincidence.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I was not expecting a Wrestling reference to be thrown in here, but here we are. The true cream of the crop.

wrestling is anime, so tbh i'm surprised i don't see wrestling references around more often

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Patware posted:

wrestling is anime, so tbh i'm surprised i don't see wrestling references around more often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4I3MRnV-lc

While I don't recommend you to try that at home, Plutonis' thread on the Kinnikuman manga is a real hoot!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The gems are clearly not gendered in any sense of the word, that's explicitly shown and told within the series. But I found it interesting that in the Japanese version the gems largely talk about themselves and each other as if they're boys (even though, to restate, they are not) - it suggested to me that gendered language is not really a concept they have in the first place due to living in an entirely genderless society, and that they may have just been following the lead of their male creator. It also means the English version ends up with some decisions that I think lose meaning - for example it's unclear to me that "Didi" is meant to be more familiar than the "Dia" that everyone else uses, and in any case it doesn't communicate a sibling bond.

If the Japanese version allows the in-universe characters to dip into gendered terms (eg nii-chan, kare) to describe other non-gendered characters I think the English version should too, and I'd be curious about Ichikawa's reasoning regarding the difference.
it feels like youre just mad you have a different read on the material than the creator intended. which is a fair read to have but it doesnt mean the creator taking actions to push how they actually intended it to be read is wrong.

her reasoning is literally just 'the gems don't have gender, using gendered terms in english would lead people to assume they're male.' maybe her logic was that japanese forces gendered language in some forms of address, maybe her logic was that she wished she'd worked harder to preserve neutrality in the original jp, maybe her logic was that english speakers are quicker to assume gender based on language.

regardless 'didi' clearly represents a bigger form of familiarity so.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
hell you can be a writer and have a really hard time grappling with the best way to say something that the language doesnt naturally follow. it could have easily been an opportunity to improve it, with the consent of the translator

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This whole spiel on Didi the past couple pages has been weird for me, since it means little brother in Mandarin.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Nice repost

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can’t expect me to read posts in this thread

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Didi...Get out of my Laboratory! Classic poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, Didi means older sister in Hindi, so obviously its meant to be both age and gender neutral.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Didi...Get out of my Labortatory! Classic poo poo.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Teavian posted:

Well, Didi means older sister in Hindi, so obviously its meant to be both age and gender neutral.

It can also be read as "grandfathers" in Ukrainian (though didy would be a more natural transliteration of that, reflecting somewhat different pronounciation), so it's even more age neutral.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I imagined a voice sounding something like this in that last part. :mmmhmm:

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Fall Season 2019: Didi...Get out of my Laboratory! Classic poo poo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Fall Season 2019: Didi...Get out of my Laboratory! Classic poo poo.
Where did your avatar come from?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Grouchio posted:

Where did your avatar come from?

heres the original pixiv link. its a reference to ai mai mi (and touhou).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Not really a fall season anime, but I wanted to link a cool thread for Mo Dao Zu Shi
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903871

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ibram Gaunt posted:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is... Is Psycho Pass 3... good, actually?

The new characters are fun and/or interesting, the setting is being developed more in interesting ways, even Shimotsuki is less irritating as a pain-in-the-rear end boss versus being a pain-in-the-rear end coworker (and she's not even THAT big of a pain in the rear end anymore!)

About the only thing I've got qualms about is little Inspector's weird Donnie Darko mode but other than that, I've pretty thoroughly enjoyed it so far, and that worries me because I can't remember whether or not I like the second season at first too before going really sour on it

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I remember Psycho-Pass 2 seeming potentially decent for a few episodes before it started to get really repulsive, but its seeming positive qualities early on might have just been wishful thinking on my part.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

esselfortium posted:

I remember Psycho-Pass 2 seeming potentially decent for a few episodes before it started to get really repulsive, but its seeming positive qualities early on might have just been wishful thinking on my part.

Psycho-Pass 2 is actually pretty decent initially, and has the villain doing something interesting by probing all the elements of the Sybil System to see how they can be abused or broken. Then the betrayal happens and all the interesting elements just go right in the toilet in favour of getting very stupid for the back half of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you wont trick ME into watching pp3

i was really hoping that guy in 2 wouldnt betray after all but he did in the banal predictable plot turn possible