Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They are extremely GWM for Hermès:
https://www.1843magazine.com/style/demand-curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Planet Money did an episode on it, with a reporter trying to buy a Birkin

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/12/25/460870534/episode-672-bagging-a-birkin

Also, some of the fakes these days are good enough that Hermes or Louis Vuitton cannot determine authenticity non-destructively.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I love that rich people are apparently huge suckers for the Eric Cartman "you can't come" marketing strategy.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

canyoneer posted:

Also, some of the fakes these days are good enough that Hermes or Louis Vuitton cannot determine authenticity non-destructively.

this feels like an offshoot Ship of Theseus thing - if it's so functionally the same it is the same by all standards, even those established by the company which defines the thing - is it The Thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this feels like an offshoot Ship of Theseus thing - if it's so functionally the same it is the same by all standards, even those established by the company which defines the thing - is it The Thing?

buddy let me tell you about diamonds

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Hah! True, but with diamonds people can at least fall back on 'they were produced in different ways' and that whole 'i want to imagine my special rock being crushed by the force of a mountain at the earth's core!' thing can be an emotional hook for sure. But in the case of the bags, the 'fakes' could very well be produced in the same places as the legitimate ones - so, if they are even produced in the exact same circumstances/manner - is it different, or is it actually just...really the Thing?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 12, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Planet Money did an episode on it, with a reporter trying to buy a Birkin

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/12/25/460870534/episode-672-bagging-a-birkin

They should put a drat chip in the thing that can be scanned to determine authenticity. Hermes, if you are hiring Idea Guys, I can make myself available.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I love that rich people are apparently huge suckers for the Eric Cartman "you can't come" marketing strategy.

It's even worse in the world of wine and spirits. I have some relations who are in DEEP into the world of ~cult~ Napa cabernets. If you want the privilege to buy that $1,000 bottle of Screaming Eagle you had better be prepared to earn it by buying a bunch of bottles from our up-and-coming sister winery. Oh, also, tastings are by invite only. :smug: :agesilaus: :smug:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

But it's GWM to produce counterfeit wine and sell it to people who've never had the real thing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vox Nihili posted:

They should put a drat chip in the thing that can be scanned to determine authenticity. Hermes, if you are hiring Idea Guys, I can make myself available.

You like my bag? It's authentic, rub it with your phone

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

But then how can I use them as a bribery currency?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Hah! True, but with diamonds people can at least fall back on 'they were produced in different ways' and that whole 'i want to imagine my special rock being crushed by the force of a mountain at the earth's core!' thing can be an emotional hook for sure. But in the case of the bags, the 'fakes' could very well be produced in the same places as the legitimate ones - so, if they are even produced in the exact same circumstances/manner - is it different, or is it actually just...really the Thing?

Works out good for me, I'm only interested in special rocks crushed by the weight of man's knowledge.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
BWM: Being a literal bagholder.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Filipino posted:

I am so finacially hosed. My life is a gapping hole of debt and bad decisions. Its so gat dang depressing.

Make a thread!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Filipino posted:

I am so finacially hosed. My life is a gapping hole of debt and bad decisions. Its so gat dang depressing.

lol that owns

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
A Birkin bag is around 15-20 bucks on AliX. Just saved you 40k.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

It's even worse in the world of wine and spirits. I have some relations who are in DEEP into the world of ~cult~ Napa cabernets. If you want the privilege to buy that $1,000 bottle of Screaming Eagle you had better be prepared to earn it by buying a bunch of bottles from our up-and-coming sister winery. Oh, also, tastings are by invite only. :smug: :agesilaus: :smug:

God I love the absolute skullfucking scams and bloated egos that is the wine industry.

Every blind and objective taste test ever conducted has proven time and time again that "wine experts" are huffing their own farts and can't even identify a white wine that was colored red with tasteless food coloring as a "white".

And don't get me started on the classic media portrayl of
*sip "This is a 1972 Chateu de Veir"
"Close, its a '73"

No that doesn't work at all it is 100% bullshit.

There was a big "how dare they" where top wine makers were getting furious at China for importing so much wine because they just pour it to cups and chugit like no big deal instead of the "proper" way using $$$ glass stemware to appreciate the aroma.

Spending more then $10-20 a bottle for regular drinking or $100-200 for a "special night" is BWM. There's a point of diminishing returns on wine where the cost is high simply because of brand name or its ranking in The Wine Spectator rather then actual quality.

Wine is basically the rich person's Funko Pops.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 12, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
At least wine gets you drunk.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nocheez posted:

At least wine gets you drunk.

Yeah but then its not NITB so its ruined.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

Yeah but then its not NITB so its ruined.
My dude

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pentyne posted:

God I love the absolute skullfucking scams and bloated egos that is the wine industry.

Every blind and objective taste test ever conducted has proven time and time again that "wine experts" are huffing their own farts and can't even identify a white wine that was colored red with tasteless food coloring as a "white".

And don't get me started on the classic media portrayl of
*sip "This is a 1972 Chateu de Veir"
"Close, its a '73"

No that doesn't work at all it is 100% bullshit.

There was a big "how dare they" where top wine makers were getting furious at China for importing so much wine because they just pour it to cups and chugit like no big deal instead of the "proper" way using $$$ glass stemware to appreciate the aroma.

Spending more then $10-20 a bottle for regular drinking or $100-200 for a "special night" is BWM. There's a point of diminishing returns on wine where the cost is high simply because of brand name or its ranking in The Wine Spectator rather then actual quality.

Wine is basically the rich person's Funko Pops.

Wine experts can absolutely differentiate between red and white wines, among other things. The people actually buying the stuff typically cannot (iirc the study you're probably thinking of was with normal people, not experts).

For a good time, do a blind tasting with self-described wine afficionados. Everyone shits themselves in fear of liking the "wrong" stuff. Works with whiskey too, especially Scotch and the Japanese bullshit.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I like drinking a lot of cheap wine and pretending it's really expensive because then I'm half in the counterfeit Hermes bag.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A rare intersection of BWM forum topics:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/12/new-jersey-country-club-sues-waiter-after-wine-spills-hermes-kelly-handbag/

quote:

A $30,000 handbag. A disastrous wine spill. And now, a country club is suing its own waiter.

November 12, 2019 at 7:17 a.m. EST
It all started with a handbag.

Maryana Beyder’s wasn’t just any ordinary bag, though. It was a pink Hermès Kelly clutch, since discontinued by the pricey French fashion house. Beyder’s husband had gifted her the purse, worth $30,000, as a 30th birthday present.

So after a waiter at a posh New Jersey country club spilled some red wine on the luxury handbag last year, the real estate agent sued for negligence, demanding that the Alpine Country Club pay her the eye-popping price of her spoiled handbag.

That lawsuit had already made local headlines, but on Monday, the club in Demarest, N.J., responded with a surprising move of its own: It’s now suing its own employee — the waiter who allegedly spilled the wine — in the latest legal development after a dinner gone downhill.

I feel bad for the waiter, and nobody else in this situation because

quote:

Members of the club are reportedly required to pay a $65,000 initiation fee, plus $19,000 in annual dues.

:thermidor:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My experience with wine is that the price-to-quality is like...

code:
Q |  Ehh | Good   | V.Good | ------- | Still V. Good
------------------------------------
P | <$10 | $10-20 | $20-30 | ------- | $1000
There's a lot more variance in the sweet-dry spectrum than in the price, once you're over about $25 a bottle, IMO. If your favorite is e.g. a slightly dry white, then you'll like a $15 bottle of something slightly dry white better than a $1500 bottle of super dry red or whatever.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Don't miss the dramatic conclusion (Edited to make it less of a wall of text. A lot goes on where he manages to make a sales guy lose his temper at him.)

quote:

Reporting back as promised. I went yesterday and had a new 2019 Crosstrek in mind and fully admitted to the guy that I was aware that I maaayyybe didn't exactly have a choice in what car I'd end up in if I wanted a dramatically lower payment. That was fine and we proceeded until he came back to tell me that he could get me in a new 2019 fully loaded Legacy for $599 a month (mind you telling him I'd like a monthly payment starting with the number 5), and that a hatchback option – Crosstrek or Impreza – was not an option.

Long and frustrating story short, another sales rep texted me a couple hours later saying they could get me in a new 2019 Crosstrek at 84 months at $560 a month. Not the dramatic decrease in payment I wanted, but it puts me in a car I actually want to drive for a more affordable payment.

TL;DR - salesmen lost his temper on me, dealership texted me later with an olive-branch-type deal

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Vox Nihili posted:

Wine experts can absolutely differentiate between red and white wines, among other things. The people actually buying the stuff typically cannot (iirc the study you're probably thinking of was with normal people, not experts).

For a good time, do a blind tasting with self-described wine afficionados. Everyone shits themselves in fear of liking the "wrong" stuff. Works with whiskey too, especially Scotch and the Japanese bullshit.
I've had the opportunity to try a bunch of really high end scotch, and IMO the quality actually starts going down above $60/bottle or so. It starts getting to be less about the taste and more about the story behind the bottle. There's also lots of really excellent cheap stuff out there that just hasn't found its marketing footing yet.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sirotan posted:

A rare intersection of BWM forum topics:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/12/new-jersey-country-club-sues-waiter-after-wine-spills-hermes-kelly-handbag/

I feel bad for the waiter, and nobody else in this situation because

:thermidor:

Pretty much peak guillotine content here, holy poo poo. If you can't live with a beverage splashing on your lovely accessory then don't bring it somewhere drinks are being served, poo poo happens.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Pretty much peak guillotine content here, holy poo poo. If you can't live with a beverage splashing on your lovely accessory then don't bring it somewhere drinks are being served, poo poo happens.
But do you know who they are?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

H110Hawk posted:

Don't miss the dramatic conclusion (Edited to make it less of a wall of text. A lot goes on where he manages to make a sales guy lose his temper at him.)

Honestly I find the simplest bit the most ridiculous:

quote:

I went yesterday and had a new 2019 Crosstrek in mind

"Help me, my brand new car is way too expensive! I'm looking to get into something more affordable, so there I was at a dealership looking at other brand new cars..."

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 12, 2019

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Can the Birkin Bag Survive the Resale Market?

At Privé Porter, Mr. Berk said, “More and more collectors are opting to pay us $19,000 to get the exact same — never used — bag” that they cannot get from Hermès for $12,000.
The individuals consigning these hard-to-get bags are often also the buyers, so the resale market is, Mr. Cereda said, “a happy loop of aficionados.” Then he added, somewhat ominously, “for now.”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vox Nihili posted:

(iirc the study you're probably thinking of was with normal people, not experts).

They weren't experts, but they were studying to become experts.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 12, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

It's also worth noting that in that study, they dyed a white wine red and gave it to students explicitly expecting a red wine without any further prompting. Our eyesight is part of how we evaluate pretty much anything, so it wasn't so much proof that people can't taste a difference between red and white wines as it was proof that people rely on a variety of sensory cues and can be tricked. If you blindfolded the students and did not give them a false prompt you would get entirely different (albeit likely still confused) results.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Phanatic posted:

To be fair, actual experts would never, ever consent to such a test because of the embarrassment at the very real possibility they'd fail.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

To be fair, actual experts would never, ever consent to such a test because of the embarrassment at the very real possibility they'd fail.

Exactly.
They all heard about those Stradivarius experiments and want nothing to do with it.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Ralith posted:

There's also lots of really excellent cheap stuff out there that just hasn't found its marketing footing yet.

Don't hold out on me man!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

paternity suitor posted:

Don't hold out on me man!
The most striking example of liquor price nonsense I recently purchased is actually an overproof rum I found by way of an restauranteur acquaintance: Rum Fire. From the price and the branding you'd expect paint thinner, but it's actually one of the most flavorful rums I've ever had. I don't see this staying cheap for long, with how cocktail bars are flocking to it. Rum is a good category for this in general since it doesn't have so much cachet.

I don't buy so much scotch these days since even the cheap stuff is expensive, but basically you can be confident that most of the big names (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, etc) got that way because they make genuinely excellent liquor at mid-market prices. I find American whiskies are often better price per quality as well, for a similar, if not quite identical, spirit; for example Copperworks punches above its weight, though it's not the cheapest to begin with.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

It's also worth noting that in that study, they dyed a white wine red and gave it to students explicitly expecting a red wine without any further prompting. Our eyesight is part of how we evaluate pretty much anything, so it wasn't so much proof that people can't taste a difference between red and white wines as it was proof that people rely on a variety of sensory cues and can be tricked. If you blindfolded the students and did not give them a false prompt you would get entirely different (albeit likely still confused) results.

Almost as if the entire culture around wine tasting and reviewing is completely based on a lie and will not withstand any rigorous attempts to define it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

quote:

Criticism of the event suggested that wine tastings lacked scientific validity due to the subjectivity of taste in human beings. Indeed, the organizer of the competition, Steven Spurrier, said, "The results of a blind tasting cannot be predicted and will not even be reproduced the next day by the same panel tasting the same wines."

The critics also only complained that wine tasting isn't accurate when their wines aren't winning. The methods by which wines are tasted and graded are not reproducible in any form. It's astrology for liquids.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 13, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've heard from a bartender friend that Evan Williams is actually really good bourbon despite refusing to raise its prices. I certainly like it better than Jack Daniels, which (supposedly) ripped off its label to confuse people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've heard from a bartender friend that Evan Williams is actually really good bourbon despite refusing to raise its prices. I certainly like it better than Jack Daniels, which (supposedly) ripped off its label to confuse people.

It is absolutely better then JD. There are several brands of cheap bottom shelf bourbon that are better or taste the same as Jack Daniels. I was always told by people that Jack Daniels was a brand first and a bourbon second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

pentyne posted:

It is absolutely better then JD. There are several brands of cheap bottom shelf bourbon that are better or taste the same as Jack Daniels. I was always told by people that Jack Daniels was a brand first and a bourbon second.

That’s true, mostly because Jack Daniels isn’t bourbon. Might be thinking of Jim Beam.