Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption posted:

he was only acquiescing to another election to cover up the initial fraud. a military coupsuggestion to step down was the only appropriate response

i would certainly advocate the same happen to the united states if we had similar events of a president running for a 4th term or accusations of electoral fraud

Nobody gonna buy this poo poo here monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

seems like a gentle suggestion that he step down doesn't really jibe with what's actually happening, unless you're op-ed brained and consider police going door to door to execute anybody who doesn't pass an ideological or paper bag test qualifies as gently persuading

seems like if it was really what the people wanted none of this would be happening!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/Whatapityonyou/status/1194370930480308225

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lol

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Al! posted:

its not like amazon has any interest in cheap rechargeable batteries right

Bezos had the CIA which he owns overthrow Morales because he was blocking Amazon warehouses sweatshops from destroying Bolivia

You now get a 10% discount with Prime, Bolivians!

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

seems like a gentle suggestion that he step down doesn't really jibe with what's actually happening, unless you're op-ed brained and consider police going door to door to execute anybody who doesn't pass an ideological or paper bag test qualifies as gently persuading

seems like if it was really what the people wanted none of this would be happening!

They're having a hard time reporting on Morales' actual resignation statement because he called it a coup lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The Kingfish posted:

Easily my favorite twitter content of the past two days.

Apparently she actually is Bolivian. Shocking to me that a native speaker would translate “Ahora si” as “now yes.”

also she just wants the protests to end so the police can peacefully murder all the leftists in their homes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You know who else likes making decisions for other people?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sleeptalker posted:

They're having a hard time reporting on Morales' actual resignation statement because he called it a coup lol
the us media has a proud history of just ignoring the elected leader saying he was couped

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Authorities say he had stepped down; Morales said he had been couped

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1194094729962672128?s=19

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1194097433887887360?s=19

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1194375026327244800?s=19

what a prick

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

the us media has a proud history of just ignoring the elected leader saying he was couped

He's just exaggerating, we should trust the military instead in these cases (Support the Troops).

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that piece could have been on the Wall Street Journal 10 years ago.

The degree of debate allowed in the US media has always been very limited, but it pretty much doesn't exist at this point even on core domestic issues that affect the population. At most your going to going to get is some mild divergence on social issues.

(On one hand, I get why Bernie/DSA supporters still believe things can be fixed, but we will see in about 3-4 months. The US has always been this way, but the gloves are coming back off.)

More even than the US papers which have always been subservient hacks, its the Guardian that pisses me off. They used to do good stuff when greenwald was on the staff, but seem to have been completely neutralized.

Sample phrase from their reporting:

quote:

Morales left behind a country close to chaos as supporters and opponents clashed on the streets, amid reports of fresh looting, vandalism and arson after last months’s election, which the Organisation of American States found had been rigged in his favour.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Post Your Favorite Tankies

It's always gonna be Venezuela, because that's the one zapplez unironically deemed a "safe space" for supporters of the coup.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

More even than the US papers which have always been subservient hacks, its the Guardian that pisses me off. They used to do good stuff when greenwald was on the staff, but seem to have been completely neutralized.

The guardian has a ministry of defense minder assigned to it that reviews all stories.

Similar arrangements exist for the NYT- they literally admitted that the CIA can spike stories if they want.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol, he changed it to "the only robert evans"

ice cold

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

no loving way

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1194041886811381760

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Al! posted:

no loving way

drat this some quality content

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

It seems the Anglo sphere is more or less on the same page, it doesn't sound like Canadian or Australian papers are any better.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mila kunis posted:

Sample phrase from their reporting:

The Graun is shitlib af, pal. Sorry to break it to you.

I'd bet a ten that this shithead is never going to admit that he was wrong in his both sides-ism no matter how horrible the repression ends up as.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

zegermans posted:

what the gently caress is the Human Rights Foundation, I've never heard of them before, are they trying to be a more right-wing Human Rights Council while co-opting the name to confuse people?

They're the ones who did this.

https://twitter.com/HRF/status/1190278981033041920?s=20

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

"rumors of coups"

evo: the military couped me
the military: yeah we couped him
us media and twitter bots: just a wink and a nudge

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Ardennes posted:

It seems the Anglo sphere is more or less on the same page, it doesn't sound like Canadian or Australian papers are any better.

Canada is trash mate. More worried about mineral rights than indigenous rights. Mining stocks more important than people. Thanks Justin.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cbcalerts/status/1056692366470471682?lang=en

Canada and most of the media supported the coup in venezuela too.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

zegermans posted:

what the gently caress is the Human Rights Foundation, I've never heard of them before, are they trying to be a more right-wing Human Rights Council while co-opting the name to confuse people?

e: Oops, thought it didn't post the first time.

Prince Myshkin has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Nov 13, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

eric ciaramella posted:

Canada is trash mate. More worried about mineral rights than indigenous rights. Mining stocks more important than people. Thanks Justin.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cbcalerts/status/1056692366470471682?lang=en

Canada and most of the media supported the coup in venezuela too.

Dipshit liberals like greyjoy are just the PR arm for empire. They can mr. bean it up everywhere, throw up their hands, and pretend or try and gaslight you like none of this poo poo is happening

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Al! posted:

no loving way

Somebody dm'd me to tell me this was photoshopped but tbf it's true in spirit if not in deed

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah the lighting doesn't look right at all but it's still a work of art.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

you don't have to be a full on stalinist to understand why north korea is correct to hang onto those nukes, frankly, at times like this, imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

probably posted here already, but the Bolivian coup happened less than a week after Morales rejected a deal with a German company to develop its lithium deposits. surely a coincidence!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gh0stpinballa posted:

you don't really have to be a full on stalinist to understand why north korea is correct to hang onto those nukes, frankly, at times like this, imo

it is distressing to realize, as I have in the past year, that nuclear non-proliferation/the abolition of nuclear weapons will probably never happen because of this reason :(

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Lightning Knight posted:

it is distressing to realize, as I have in the past year, that nuclear non-proliferation/the abolition of nuclear weapons will probably never happen because of this reason :(

this is why i'm starting to think corbyn should switch up and be like yep, i am all for nukes having seen what the spooks get up to in places without them, so if anyone from CIA or le cercle wants to step up i will irradiate the gently caress out of LA.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

ironically the one good thing trump has done is take steps to normalize relations with north korea, something the establishments in both countries absolutely do not want, because they recognize in each other a lifetime of coddling and being humped around from place to place by handlers

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Marco_Teruggi/status/1194303064565567490?s=20
https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1194394098486173699?s=20
https://twitter.com/b_schoendorff/status/1194398678498381824?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lithium's not really the biggest deal in even nationalized Bolivian assets

but it's still in the halr billion dollar range, so, I guess

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

shut the gently caress up liberal

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/anyaparampil/status/1194386382757732352?s=20
the CIA isn't gonna let grayzone embarrass them over Bolivia like they did with Venezuela

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

It may or may not, but the international nonproliferation movement has at least kept nukes more in check than they otherwise would have been. Apartheid South America, Dirty War-era Argentina, and other really bad regimes wanted nukes, and they prob would have survived longer if they had them. Russia is likely going to have to downsize its arsenal over the next couple decades, though, since they're just so drat expensive to maintain and Russia's economy isn't exactly doing gangbusters. So that will hopefully open the door for some multilateral reductions.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Crazy suggestion here, perhaps the value of that Lithium will increase as the amount of technology reliant on lithium-ion batteries also increases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Majorian posted:

It may or may not, but the international nonproliferation movement has at least kept nukes more in check than they otherwise would have been. Apartheid South America, Dirty War-era Argentina, and other really bad regimes wanted nukes, and they prob would have survived longer if they had them. Russia is likely going to have to downsize its arsenal over the next couple decades, though, since they're just so drat expensive to maintain and Russia's economy isn't exactly doing gangbusters. So that will hopefully open the door for some multilateral reductions.

I'm sure Russia downgrading their stockpile will make the famously peace-loving and internationalist US do the right thing.