Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The very first sentence of the post that you so generously omitted stated that this is a right wing coup that must be condemned. That doesn't change the fact that fragrantly violating democratic norms actively undermined the goals Morales asserted he was pursuing. Contorting yourself to apologize for his actions just because he was on your team only enables others to either make the same possibly-well-intentioned mistakes or, worse, actively con you with leftist rhetoric while pursuing only their own aggrandizement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

unfortunately laughter is the best medicine so i'm blaming you if i live longer

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Waiting for Gen Z to make the heel turn to conservativism

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh they're going to swing hard, wait till the late 20's

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cugel the Clever posted:

The very first sentence of the post that you so generously omitted stated that this is a right wing coup that must be condemned. That doesn't change the fact that fragrantly violating democratic norms actively undermined the goals Morales asserted he was pursuing. Contorting yourself to apologize for his actions just because he was on your team only enables others to either make the same possibly-well-intentioned mistakes or, worse, actively con you with leftist rhetoric while pursuing only their own aggrandizement.

If you start out with "thing is bad" and then follow with a paragraph about "all these things that they did means it only makes sense a bad thing happens" is actually justifying and not condemning.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1176125596709085186?s=20

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Since everyone's so happy to draw the comparison to Bush, would you still defend Trump if he called it a coup when the military asked him to step down in 2024?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Since everyone's so happy to draw the comparison to Bush, would you still defend Trump if he called it a coup when the military asked him to step down in 2024?

After hes allowed to run by courts in enough states, he wins enough states, enough electors vote for him and the election is certified by the house and senate?

That absolutely would be a coup.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

red states will probably just declare a constitutional convention and make him president for life

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Y... Yes? Is that supposed to be a tough one? Nothing has ever gotten better after a coup anywhere.

Edit: oh now I see what you're saying. If Trump is lawfully president after an independent judiciary says he can run again and he got elected? Sure, yeah, that means he's the president. Am I supposed to believe things get better when a group of generals storms the White House?

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 13, 2019

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

Y... Yes? Is that supposed to be a tough one? Nothing has ever gotten better after a coup anywhere.

Edit: oh now I see what you're saying. If Trump is lawfully president after an independent judiciary says he can run again and he got elected? Sure, yeah, that means he's the president. Am I supposed to believe things get better when a group of generals storms the White House?

There's no evidence that's what's happening, the generals have asked him to resign to end the protests and he complied. I haven't seen anything not coming from the regime that there has been a warrant for his arrest or any threat of his arrest

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

After hes allowed to run by courts in enough states, he wins enough states, enough electors vote for him and the election is certified by the house and senate?

That absolutely would be a coup.

Morales's election results weren't certified by anyone, and the independent observer reported clear evidence of manipulation

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

There's no evidence that's what's happening, the generals have asked him to resign to end the protests and he complied.

If the military asks the president to resign that's a coup. What else do you call it? No one elected the military.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A coup sure. But it was also a highly illegal election.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I mean, I call the attempt to run for a fourth presidential term, in violation of the constitution and in the face of massive popular opposition, an attempted coup. The military stepping in to restore order after weeks of violent protests is just that

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ded posted:

A coup sure. But it was also a highly illegal election.

Their version of the supreme court, which unlike ours is democratically elected, disagrees. Also even the pro-coup people aren't making the argument the president lost the election. The best they can do is mention irregularities. The president offered a new runoff election but the military forced him out anyway. The facts here are incredibly one sided.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

I mean, I call the attempt to run for a fourth presidential term, in violation of the constitution and in the face of massive popular opposition, an attempted coup. The military stepping in to restore order after weeks of violent protests is just that

If this opposition is "massively popular" then how come they didn't win the election and why did they need the military to storm the palace. People don't do coups because they have popular legitimate support. That's the whole point of getting the military to force out presidents.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Marines have another nudes sharing scandal on their hands, this time it’s some people taking pictures from a Reservist’s OnlyFans account and sending them to the everybody from 2nd MarDiv participating in a field ex.

It should be part of the on-boarding process for a new commandant now to just start the process to Make An Example out of a few junior enlisted sex predators and leave the SNCOs and Officers alone to continue their toxic command environment.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1193775633387728896

But when Russia spends a few $K on poorly drawn buff Bernie FB ads it's a gross violation of our electoral system.

Edit: Hopefully all the helicopter "rides" about to be given helps restore democracy like it did in Chile. /sarcasm

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 13, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crakkerjakk posted:

I find the "we're all just a buncha leftists in here" amusing given various folks thinking Joe Biden was good not too far back and a few pro-Buttigieg posts I remember over the last couple months.

There are some leftists that post in here, and who exactly qualifies as a leftist is somewhat in the eye of the beholder, but there ALSO other people who are not leftists in this thread. Mostly everyone is dem-friendly (as far as I know) but that don't make you a leftist, IMO.

I’m probably the closest person to “conservative” on this sub forum. And I’ve never voted Republican, I just have an insatiable lust for Slavic and Terrorist blood and a true desire to see nukes at least go back into testing so we can see 4K HDR nuclear explosions. If they’re over Moscow or Riyadh, all the better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Morales's election results weren't certified by anyone, and the independent observer reported clear evidence of manipulation

Yes, I was just hearing it explained. The election would not be certified for a while yet (just like the US) and Morales's party said that they would abide by the OAS's requirements for a recount. The opposition party refused these terms and the military did this coup.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m probably the closest person to “conservative” on this sub forum. And I’ve never voted Republican, I just have an insatiable lust for Slavic and Terrorist blood and a true desire to see nukes at least go back into testing so we can see 4K HDR nuclear explosions. If they’re over Moscow or Riyadh, all the better.

There's a lot of folks who misconstrue an understanding of how a candidate can seem appealing (discussion on buttigieg, Biden, et El) and approval for said candidate.

The same thing happened with Clinton. Debunking bullshit ment you were a supporter, not just someone who actually read the article.

(Edit: I also have enough personal experience with Russia and it's citizens to want nothing but the worst for them)

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I just have an insatiable lust for Slavic...blood

I knew I didn't like you.

Go gently caress yourself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ok Tibla

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I've been waiting for this for like a year+.

Dwanyelle posted:

:lol:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 13, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dwanyelle posted:

Oh no, some stupid rear end in a top hat I don’t know or care about doesn’t like me.

Also if you didn’t reach sexual climax watching the Air Force turn those Russian mercenaries into Hair, Teeth, and eyeballs I don’t know what’s wrong with you.

You some kind of Russian?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
By the extremely low bar being set by the OAS any time an election doesn't match your models its absolutely fraud and not you know the fault of the absolutely insane system you setup where one completely unofficial count is being put out to appease the media while the actual official count is sit getting its shoes on.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

If this opposition is "massively popular" then how come they didn't win the election and why did they need the military to storm the palace. People don't do coups because they have popular legitimate support. That's the whole point of getting the military to force out presidents.

Do you have literally any evidence that the military stormed the palace

Literally anything at all

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
If the opposition to Louis XVI is so massively popular why do they need to storm the Bastille

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sorry I loving asked.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1194100981644111873?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Muh slaves!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Do you have literally any evidence that the military stormed the palace

Literally anything at all

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaSandunga7/status/1193643128508559361

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I don't speak Spanish but that doesn't appear to say anything about storming the palace, but ok

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

What do you think a coup is and why do you think those guys are in the palace.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

What do you think a coup is and why do you think those guys are in the palace.

They're in the palace because they're police and they're securing a government building after the previous occupant resigned and fled the country

I've already said a coup is when a party acts outside the law in order to gain or hold on to power, as Morales was attempting to do by rigging the election

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're inside, placing a Bible on top of the indigenous flag, and saying "Bolivia is a place of Christianity now" (paraphrasing)

I'm sure that's protocol for securing a palace though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Definitely lovely behavior. Completely lacking in anything that could be described as "storming," though