Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

I wonder why they thought having different convention and store versions was a good idea

Either the convention version is more exciting, and you get this situation where 99% of people are disappointed, or the store version is more exciting in which case why even bother with a limited convention version?

maro's response on his blog is implies that playtest cards are really a joke they put little effort into and don't want them to get too much distribution

it makes sense that the convention version is more "exciting" but is less about getting EV to equal the pack price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I'm finishing up my scan of Duelist #2 (still haven't found that old school trade sharking article, maybe it's in #4). In the meantime, here's a 600DPI scan of the quinton hoover poster. https://archive.org/details/duelist2quintonhooverposter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

The Quiet controversy, Vagina bomb, and MGS4 just being dumb made people forget just how captivating the story in the first three games were imo

Kojima’s good when he writes stories that dial it the gently caress back and aren’t actually chronological sequels

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
If anyone's curious, the current state of the Magic story might have something to do with the current head of story and entertainment being a loving ghoul:

https://medium.com/@aemarling/nic-kelman-hypocrisy-80d9c1edca71

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Commander would suck on Arena, Commander is the most popular format because of the live, social, multiplayer aspect of it.

I won’t be entertaining “B-B-But MTGO!” posts because MTGO blows hot egg water.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm bummed about it, and I'm not going to try to talk my friends into drafting the normal version, but I can see their reasoning. Every time they've done meta before (Unglued, Time Spiral) they've been burned, though they know there's some demand for it. Conversely, they know from masters sets that expensive reprints are sufficient to move packs. If you're a WotC decision maker it's a much safer choice.

Also, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Maro seems a little annoyed that these non-Un cards are getting such a good reception.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m increasingly convinced that MaRo needs to retire because his insistence that he understands Magic in a way that others don’t is just hurting the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think un cards make him mad because people ask about them all the time and they're fun to make but they don't sell. So he knows that as much as people want these cards they won't sell. (He's wrong this time tho because packaging them with cards that have value is an actual feasible way to distribute them.)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also un-cards are designed to be a joke and a frequently not funny.

these cards are designed to be interesting and/or too powerful. people love that poo poo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

510rems posted:

If anyone's curious, the current state of the Magic story might have something to do with the current head of story and entertainment being a loving ghoul:

https://medium.com/@aemarling/nic-kelman-hypocrisy-80d9c1edca71

I remember hearing about this novel when the guy was hired but when I looked all the reviews rave about it as an exploration of the darker nature of power and desire so I give up.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t get the sense Mark Rosewater relates the heuristics he uses to construct the colour pie to the relative power levels of different things within it, or really understands when a heuristic is no longer valid because the context of the game has changed— specifically thinking of “white can’t get above three power at common,” which was formulated when black and red had worse small creatures but remains now they’ve caught up a bit.

Honestly I think “design” in general doesn’t make sense and I’m not sure why it still exists. It is all development at the end of the day; colour identity needs a keen understanding of relative power level of different parts of the game if all the colours are going to be relatively viable. It’s telling that screwups never seem to be design’s fault, even wrt Green and White where they obviously are— a lot of the time I think they can’t be design’s fault because design barely does anything anymore. Almost all it does do is enforce a bad version of the colour pie, which hurts the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hornet Queen is an act of blasphemy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I am literally burning an effigy of mark rosewater as I grab my pitchfork to lynch him for the literal war crime of the story being bad and also white not having card drawing. If only goons with their amazing card rating skills were in charge of making magic all our problems would be solved.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

vegetables posted:

Honestly I think “design” in general doesn’t make sense and I’m not sure why it still exists.

It's the part that made the weird and fun things like Adventure and Investigate.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I am literally burning an effigy of mark rosewater as I grab my pitchfork to lynch him for the literal war crime of the story being bad and also white not having card drawing. If only goons with their amazing card rating skills were in charge of making magic all our problems would be solved.

this but unironic

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I seem to recall Oko getting a "meh. Might be okay."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GimmickMan posted:

If only goons with their amazing card rating skills were in charge of making magic all our problems would be solved.

'Goons are bad at first-glance card analysis' isn't really a sick burn in this context because goons, whatever their spoiler hot takes, can figure out what's good and what's not after actually playing (or watching others play with) the cards, which is, you know, exactly what development is being asked to do

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I was pretty excited to try Oko in Bant Stoneblade and was really excited at how good he was.

And then I realized how good he was.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

GimmickMan posted:

I am literally burning an effigy of mark rosewater as I grab my pitchfork to lynch him for the literal war crime of the story being bad

this is certainly an accurate representation of (mostly queer) people expressing disappointment with the game's fiction turning out to be queerbaiting with a side of biphobia when it comes to two of its major characters. good job, you.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

this is certainly an accurate representation of (mostly queer) people expressing disappointment with the game's fiction turning out to be queerbaiting with a side of biphobia when it comes to two of its major characters. good job, you.

As one of said people, let me assure you that I'm just getting ahead of the thread's life cycle and jumping to the part where we start blaming mark rosewater for everything wrong with magic.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
design shouldn’t exist and it’s all development is the most stemlord dumb take imaginable

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

xarph posted:

I'm finishing up my scan of Duelist #2 (still haven't found that old school trade sharking article, maybe it's in #4). In the meantime, here's a 600DPI scan of the quinton hoover poster. https://archive.org/details/duelist2quintonhooverposter

I posted it itt

Osmosisch posted:

Here you go. The title aged extra well. You were also correct about the issue it's in (#4)

https://imgur.com/a/8b1ogFa

@xarph, if this quality is acceptable I'll make some time and go through the whole stack I have one evening when I'm bored.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Eej posted:

The wisened players still grinding away at MTGO

:(

xarph posted:

chandra will be happy with this at least

I went back through the thread, but they revealed Oko when we didn't know what Food did and didn't have the context for the food ability, so people were like "okay if Food is an artifact token, this card has a ton of loyalty and protects itself, cool" and then nobody brought it up again for a while.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TBF a lot of people were like that until the first time you play with Oko and realise how bananas he is.

Also I seem to remember a lot of the comments being "What is food. WHAT IS FOOD"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The whole vision/set/play design separation as they sold the idea to us seemed like a much better idea back in Dominaria when it looked like it wouldn't have the critical development failings of years past. Play design looked like it had struck on a formula to fix things for the better, but it turns out they just had a lucky streak. Instead the big difference between old design/development and vision design/set design/play design is that we get more flavorful sets (what vision design is supposedly for iirc) with development still being more or less the same.

I don't think there is an easy solution to this. Adding more development time would make it even harder for wotc to adjust to standard, which is already one of the game's big failings given that they can't just issue power level errata for all the problem cards. Taking time away from set design for development would probably end in less fun individual cards (It's not development that makes all the fun wacky cards and memorable mechanics people love, though they do make some of them) so any structural solution is going to come with some big consequences.

Changing the color pie and redistributing abilities is a thing that happens all the time (black now has enchantment removal, for example) but I think people clamoring to change the color pie to make a problem color weaker or a weak color stronger forget when the weaker color was doing just fine as an oppressive force in standard without counterspells, card drawing or whatever it is they think that color needs. Really the problem both here and in most bad standards is almost never the distribution of abilities but the fact that some cards are pushed as hell, other cards are not sufficiently playtested and there are not enough good answers for the problem cards in the format. None of those things are color pie related.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GimmickMan posted:

Changing the color pie and redistributing abilities is a thing that happens all the time (black now has enchantment removal, for example) but I think people clamoring to change the color pie to make a problem color weaker or a weak color stronger forget when the weaker color was doing just fine as an oppressive force in standard without counterspells, card drawing or whatever it is they think that color needs. Really the problem both here and in most bad standards is almost never the distribution of abilities but the fact that some cards are pushed as hell, other cards are not sufficiently playtested and there are not enough good answers for the problem cards in the format. None of those things are color pie related.
Couldnt agree more

Wicked Wolf could be any overpowered 4 mana creature with food synergy regardless of whether "fight on ETB" should be green or not.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

As a thought experiment, is there a Negate style card, so something bland but strong and easily reprintable in every set, that already exists that if it were printed into standard would stop the Oko shell from being so dominant?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

I can't get over the narrator saying "Gids."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fadam posted:

As a thought experiment, is there a Negate style card, so something bland but strong and easily reprintable in every set, that already exists that if it were printed into standard would stop the Oko shell from being so dominant?

No. Spell Pierce would deal with turn 2 Oko/turn 3 Nissa on the play, if you kept a blue mana up turn 1, but would be horrendous later and against the other creature threats the deck plays. Force of Will/Negation would just go straight into the Food decks. Pyroblast gets hit by Veil for some reason, and only hits Oko/the creature side of Krasis and not Oko or Wolf.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

I can't get over the narrator saying "Gids."

tbf i think chandra has called him that in other stuff too

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

vegetables posted:

I don’t get the sense Mark Rosewater relates the heuristics he uses to construct the colour pie to the relative power levels of different things within it, or really understands when a heuristic is no longer valid because the context of the game has changed— specifically thinking of “white can’t get above three power at common,” which was formulated when black and red had worse small creatures but remains now they’ve caught up a bit.

Honestly I think “design” in general doesn’t make sense and I’m not sure why it still exists. It is all development at the end of the day; colour identity needs a keen understanding of relative power level of different parts of the game if all the colours are going to be relatively viable. It’s telling that screwups never seem to be design’s fault, even wrt Green and White where they obviously are— a lot of the time I think they can’t be design’s fault because design barely does anything anymore. Almost all it does do is enforce a bad version of the colour pie, which hurts the game.

I know it's a meme and all but it's hard to see the color pie as constituted by Mark Rosewater as anything but pure ideology.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
man i just reread that passage and realized id actually rather just read a nissa/chandra fanfic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
remind me, was rosewater fine with pongify? i know he opposed green getting the effect.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only solution is another layer of design, we'll call it Test.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

remind me, was rosewater fine with pongify? i know he opposed green getting the effect.

Iirc yes. Oko's in color according to him, just too strong.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

It's pretty consistent that maro is less freaked out about blue having things

Two decades of momentum behind bad ideas will do that.

Eej posted:

The only solution is another layer of design, we'll call it Test.
Is Test still dead?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mandatory lesbian posted:

tbf i think chandra has called him that in other stuff too

Chandra has, but she isn't saying it in this passage, so it comes off as incongruous. I realize I'm talking about a poorly-written MTG story here, so I'm really just going off on a pet peeve and ignoring the other glaring issues that are present, lol.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there are a million good slash fiction writers out there, just hire one of them

well, """good""" for a given value of good, but still better than this dreck

guild ball had poorly written lesbian erotica as the background fluff for one of their characters a year ago and it was still better than this

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

Couldnt agree more

Wicked Wolf could be any overpowered 4 mana creature with food synergy regardless of whether "fight on ETB" should be green or not.

Then why even have colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Colors should exist and they should separate some arbitrary set of mechanics as they always have, not for balance reasons but to make decks feel different from one another. (Bant having weird pseudo-removal last year like prison realm and seal away and deputy of detention was a good way to make it feel different from Sultai, even though Teferi tuck was usually as good as a kill spell)

That wasn't the purpose of the post I was quoting, their point is that color identity isn't what makes one color strong and another color weak. What determines the power level of a color in standard is just how many of the busted cards they got.

My point was that Wicked Wolf being a bend or whatever isn't what makes it strong, it's its power level. Standard balance wouldn't be any different even if Wicked Wolf had less controversial green mechanics.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 13, 2019