Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I like the pivot from a statement about how everyone should boycott the game to "hey man you can't make me buy this game that's my perosnal choice!"

No one loving cares.

What loving pivot you chode? I still think that no one should buy their games but didn't want to keep going on and on about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This game doesn't have any of their garbage, though!

Well except for their bullshit exclusivity on the Star Wars.

I'm the EA exec reluctantly deciding that eight years into a ten year exclusivity agreement, we may as well make a star war that isn't Battlefront... I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Realtalk I'm definitely holding out for some post-embargo reviews. Is it typical to embargo reviews until the day of release now?

It's typical for games that are not good.

e: I didn't know it was under embargo. That's... not a definitive indictment, but not a great sign.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 13, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I'm a booster for this game (as in I think it will be good) but the embargo thing is a H U G E red flag. Which is weird because again all the initial "yeah I got to play the first three hours" previews have been very positive!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

It's respawn so I'm sure the game itself will be dece.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm not going to draw any conclusions about the game from EA's weird marketing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
hmm so you can play this on release if you subscribe to the upper tier of Origin Access, which is £15 for a month. probably worth a punt at that price even though I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. Everything I've been reading makes this sound like Soulsborne-lite/metroidvania-lite, which sounds fun if the combat is good

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yeah I'm a booster for this game (as in I think it will be good) but the embargo thing is a H U G E red flag. Which is weird because again all the initial "yeah I got to play the first three hours" previews have been very positive!

Either the game has a really dumb/bad endgame or they're just being cagey for no reason.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pylons posted:

I'm not going to draw any conclusions about the game from EA's weird marketing.

:emptyquote:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It may turn out the first three hours are the best part of the game. Definitely wise to be cautious.

Glenn Quebec posted:

What loving pivot you chode? I still think that no one should buy their games but didn't want to keep going on and on about it.

This is definitely an example of not going on and on.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh gently caress you, you complete bitch.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:eyepop:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Glenn chill out man. Seriously. Just take a break, you said your piece, this is a thread that right now is peopled mostly by curious posters who think the game is at least mildly worth some interest. Hard crowd for "just don't buy it because EA sucks" (I think literally everyone in here agrees with the second part and is buying in despite the publisher). Definitely not worth getting pissed about.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the titanfall 2 campaign. I am also a complete bitch that will probably buy this

don't cry for me, EArgentina

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys I didn't want to do this, but I just couldn't hold it in longer! I'm breaking the review embargo on Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order.

Here is my review.

quote:

I just played Jedi Fallen Order and the game was so enjoyable! I've always loved Star Wars so I'm really looking forward to the new release! I don't want to go in depth about the game and how it's different from any other lightsaber combat game, but I can say the controls are really good! I like the fact that I don't have to be a genius at controls just to get good! I also like that the game is fun and doesn't make me think too much when I play! The game features three characters each with their own moves and abilities!

I'm hoping to be able to purchase the game on Amazon or the Play Store very soon! It's worth the wait for Star Wars!

If you want to learn more about Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, follow me on Twitter.

And if you want to follow along with me while I'm playing the game, make sure to follow my Twitter feed.

Here are the links!

Twitter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Never give up, Glenn.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

e: I didn't know it was under embargo. That's... not a definitive indictment, but not a great sign.

it's actually become the industry standard now, sadly. They're more worried about reviewers talking about whatever half-cocked monetization stream they've added in and pissing off the playerbase enough to start a boycott.

and almost every game has a half-cocked monetization scheme, although this one looks like it will be all cosmetics for jedi-dress up.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Chomp8645 posted:

this post has been said, in some fashion, in every thread in games.

it's common. it has been.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheAnomaly posted:

it's actually become the industry standard now, sadly. They're more worried about reviewers talking about whatever half-cocked monetization stream they've added in and pissing off the playerbase enough to start a boycott.

and almost every game has a half-cocked monetization scheme, although this one looks like it will be all cosmetics for jedi-dress up.

The new Ghost Recon had people lose their poo poo over micro transactions making for a whole new progression system for guns... and then the game had the same progression system as wildlands, and there were no actual loot boxes, so I kinda get it. Microtransactions are bad, but people do tend to blow them out of proportion no matter how they’re implemented.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think the embargo is more to do with Disney, they're very protective of spoilers. They did the same with Mando and everyone loves it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
There is no correlation being a review embargo not ending until a game releases and it being a bad game. It's been the industry standard for awhile now but it still gets said in every game thread on this dead forum.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rad Valtar posted:

There is no correlation being a review embargo not ending until a game releases and it being a bad game. It's been the industry standard for awhile now but it still gets said in every game thread on this dead forum.

Doom 2016 was embargoed and that had great reviews, and so have plenty of other games.

Be cautious if you must but an embargo is not necessarily a red flag. A red flag would be if they aren't sending out review copies.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This thread has been more educational than I anticipated.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Ugh the lack of dismemberment after playing Surge 2 is annoying. Surge has some brutal finishers.

Besides that, games looks cool

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The embargo probably means you're gonna get what you expect: a mediocre 8.5ish game with decent production values. If they were gonna knock it out of the park, they probably would have loved to throw around 9+ scores ahead of time just because of all the competition they have right now. I would have bought this at launch if it came out during the summer, but I have just played through Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds and now I'm 15 hours into Death Stranding and Pokemon comes out Friday and just lol if I'm going to have any interest in a mediocre EA Star Wars game for at least another month or two.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

8.5 "MEDIOCRE"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Captain Hygiene posted:

8.5 "MEDIOCRE"

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm just tired of game review scores, is all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Thom12255 posted:

I think the embargo is more to do with Disney, they're very protective of spoilers. They did the same with Mando and everyone loves it.

this. i saw like the first leaked 15 min fallen order and it looks pretty legit so far.

also i liked mando but the pilot definitely feels like a pilot and is kinda all over the place.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, about what I expected. Hold a button to perma block, flick a button to parry that staggers weaker enemies, roll for everything else. Spam attacks and if weak mook is blocking it works their stamina bar down into a typical death blow Nice to see the force powers got mapped to a lot of buttons though.

The sound design is good, can't decide on the graphics cause the stream quality is iffy. Lightsaber looks good, the other characters' faces look good but the PC looks like a doof :thinking:

Death blows look/sound great. Opening level set design looked fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The way I see it, it can’t be any worse of a purchase than RDR2, embargo or not. That game got glowing reviews but everything about the actual gameplay drove me nuts.

If this is mediocre, as long as it has some kind of appeal, I’ll enjoy a fair amount of time with it. All it has to do is have some kind of gameplay conceit that’s actually fun, and I trust Respawn to do that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, about what I expected. Hold a button to perma block, flick a button to parry that staggers weaker enemies, roll for everything else. Spam attacks and if weak mook is blocking it works their stamina bar down into a typical death blow Nice to see the force powers got mapped to a lot of buttons though.

The sound design is good, can't decide on the graphics cause the stream quality is iffy. Lightsaber looks good, the other characters' faces look good but the PC looks like a doof :thinking:

Death blows look/sound great. Opening level set design looked fun.

graphics looks pretty good. its more the video quality kinda sucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's nice to know that no matter what, Fallen Order will not be the most disappointing game I've bought this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm just tired of game review scores, is all.

The review scale of 7-10 is everywhere, it's not just video games. In the mid 90s, if you got anything less than a 9 at a poetry slam you were hosed. I quit all that in 2000 but it's probably worse now. By now it's probably "less than 9.5 means you should just kill yourself"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't worry about embargo or not. I'm sure they were well aware that Death Stranding would be polarising and released them early.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If it is anything close to Sekiro but lightsabers then I think it will be good. Probably Sekiro easy mode. Since Star Wars fans are often inferior intellectually to other gamers. I think most Star Trek fans had very little issue beating Sekiro?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's probably a very safe bet that this game will be easy even on hard because it's Star Wars and literal 5 year olds will want to play it all the way through

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

precision posted:

I think it's probably a very safe bet that this game will be easy even on hard because it's Star Wars and literal 5 year olds will want to play it all the way through

Paging forums user “literal 5 year old”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ultimate Mango posted:

Paging forums user “literal 5 year old”

Something about GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

precision posted:

I will still struggle with it, :toxx: me